Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:45 AM

Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? (30104 Views)

Disrespecting And Insulting Elders Is Very Unafrican And Gutter Behaviour / Why are Nigerian so Abusive and Insulting / Why Are Nigerians So Tribalistic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by JustGood(m): 3:34pm On Jan 19, 2009
MrCrackles:

I regret being a Nigerian! cheesy
Anyone offended by my comments can eat a manliness! cheesy undecided

Wrong thread
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by MrCrackles(m): 9:32pm On Jan 19, 2009
JustGood:

Wrong thread

And how is it wrong?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jan 19, 2009
JustGood:

You're missing the point - Nigerians are abusive when they feel insulted - fact.

What they want is for Nigerians to sing and dance whenever they are insulted by other people for fun. If you are insulted for entertainment as a Nigerian, you should laugh and clap for them.
The keyword there is feel.
Even here on nairaland people feel insulted just because you present an opposing view to theirs, or some other trivial stuff. Next thing you know, you and your parents are being insulted.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Theblessed(f): 8:39am On Jan 20, 2009
Thank you Etin for this topic and God bless your Naija Diva for your contribution.

You see some of these people (males/females) who behave in this manner are wild animals, thick and ignorants and the only way to identify them are through this kind of behaviour therefore, once you notice them here - please avoid and ignore their commentaries ok! If no one took notice of them they will eventually conform to civilised way of doing things or quit for good. That's the trick!

You see, this behaviour is rampant in Nigeria even among our leaders. That's why Nigerian politics is so crude if they can not take the heat or have their own way, they resort to bully, intimidation and to an extent even political killing or termination of their opponents as they normally say. Unlike the Western politicians - African politicians in particular, Nigerian ones can not even attempt to do the honourable thing when caught up in embarassment. For example check Robert Mugabe of Zimba - you see his country people are dying of starvation and ill health does it worry him? No, because no African government is accountable or responsible for any thing in any form or shape so they do what they like. Mugabe knows the honourable thing to do in order to rescue his country and bring peace and prosperity to his country instead he adamantly and vehementally hang on to power at the expense of the general public of Zimbabwe. The same happened in Kenya mid Summer last year remember - the election rigging that led to public riots in Kenye mid Summer last year?? There you're!! It's called an African curse, ok! It will take donkeys of years for people there to change and adopt civilised manners. Lack of education is not the problem at all though education is one aspect there are several parts to it afterall, Nigerians are the most educated in the whole of Africa - check it out. So, we can not blame illitracy here there are other aspects e.g. beliefs and values, traditions, religions, psychological, physical and emotional as well as psychiatric factors (i.e peoples' mental health). There you have it.

Anyway in a forum like this, you're bound to encounter all sorts of characters, so dear friend take heart!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by FBS: 10:49am On Jan 20, 2009
you will be surprised that NL reflects the way some people really are or who they might be/end up being.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Taken(m): 10:51am On Jan 20, 2009
@ poster

The insults on nairaland are very mild as compared to other real-time chatting sites like Yahoo, AOL, and others.
Moreover, something is true about Nigerians, we have a particular style of communication that appears different in the sight of others - Americans do, British people do.
My observation in Nairaland:
There are three - four particular females that likes to insult pple with regards to written / spoken english on nairaland.com.
To these females, their mode of insult is "you dont know how to speak/write good english".   Maybe there are some guys like that too (that must be their habitual way of chatting).

It is all about style.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by jamace(m): 2:33pm On Jan 20, 2009
Because of stress and frustration .
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by temi4rea(f): 4:30pm On Jan 27, 2009
jamace:

Because of stress and frustration .

yea,i guess the insultive ones believe nairaland is the best place to pour out
frustration,annoyance,rejection,and have fun(just insult).
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by lucabrasi(m): 4:42pm On Jan 27, 2009
Theblessed:

Thank you Etin for this topic and God bless your Naija Diva for your contribution.

You see some of these people (males/females) who behave in this manner are wild animals, thick and ignorants and the only way to identify them are through this kind of behaviour therefore, once you notice them here - please avoid and ignore their commentaries ok! If no one took notice of them they will eventually conform to civilised way of doing things or quit for good. That's the trick!

You see, this behaviour is rampant in Nigeria even among our leaders. That's why Nigerian politics is so crude if they can not take the heat or have their own way, they resort to bully, intimidation and to an extent even political killing or termination of their opponents as they normally say. Unlike the Western politicians - African politicians in particular, Nigerian ones can not even attempt to do the honourable thing when caught up in embarassment. For example check Robert Mugabe of Zimba - you see his country people are dying of starvation and ill health does it worry him? No, because no African government is accountable or responsible for any thing in any form or shape so they do what they like. Mugabe knows the honourable thing to do in order to rescue his country and bring peace and prosperity to his country instead he adamantly and vehementally hang on to power at the expense of the general public of Zimbabwe. The same happened in Kenya mid Summer last year remember - the election rigging that led to public riots in Kenye mid Summer last year?? There you're!! It's called an African curse, ok! It will take donkeys of years for people there to change and adopt civilised manners. Lack of education is not the problem at all though education is one aspect there are several parts to it afterall, Nigerians are the most educated in the whole of Africa - check it out. So, we can not blame illitracy here there are other aspects e.g. beliefs and values, traditions, religions, psychological, physical and emotional as well as psychiatric factors (i.e peoples' mental health). There you have it.

Anyway in a forum like this, you're bound to encounter all sorts of characters, so dear friend take heart!

cheesy wow,you r on a roll,have you been abused by anyone on nland before?
FBS:

you will be surprised that NL reflects the way some people really are or who they might be/end up being.
you r right
@post
i think it is a reflection of their upbringing and general psyche growing up,remember nairaland is a gathering of nigerians from all walks of life without any form of distinction hence the reason why some will come at you with sarcastic /abrasive comments cause they can get away with it online, for all you know your maiguard or househelp might even be online abusing you without your knowledge
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by morpheus24: 11:45pm On Jan 27, 2009
Thats what you get for jamming 150 milllion people in a small space fighting for limited resources.

Its a learned human survival skill. Anyone who thinks this behaviour is abnormal for people in this type of situation is a slowpoke.

Its like saying if you flogg a dog, deprive him of food everyday you can go pet him any time you like.

Sorry for you if you try it cause your ass gonna get bit.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by slimfine(f): 10:28pm On May 31, 2009
many people says is becuase of stress and hardwork but doesn't take more energy to cuase people out? undecided

sometimes, I reserve my comments because I do not want to get bashed! I am weeyyyyyyyyyy too emotional for nairaland,
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by iliveit: 5:55pm On Jan 09, 2010
I live next to Nigerians and was very nonjudgmental when i moved in .After living next to them for 2 years I can say they are the rudest dirtiest loudest most disgusting people I have ever had the misfortune of meeting .The irony is they run a church out of their basement .Everyone has complained of the terrible noise and screaming coming from this slummy shack which is also illegally built and not registered .They ignore the police the neighbors and instead are even louder .They cook the most disgusting smelling food on their front steps because they have destroyed their kitchen .If you ever have the choice of living any where near a group of Nigerians avoid it at all costs .
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Nkeon: 3:03pm On Jan 12, 2010
I agree that Naijas can be rude and loud but I see this among others as well, e.g. Caribbeans.

I also think there are different types of rudeness. I live in the UK and though some Naijas here are overtly rude, loads of English people are rude in suttle ways. They use certain mannerisms in order to get at people, which can be worse than being loud.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jan 12, 2010
iliveit:

I live next to Nigerians and was very nonjudgmental when i moved in .After living next to them for 2 years I can say they are the rudest dirtiest loudest most disgusting people I have ever had the misfortune of meeting .The irony is they run a church out of their basement .Everyone has complained of the terrible noise and screaming coming from this slummy shack which is also illegally built and not registered .They ignore the police the neighbors and instead are even louder .They cook the most disgusting smelling food on their front steps because they have destroyed their kitchen .If you ever have the choice of living any where near a group of Nigerians avoid it at all costs .

were you dumped by a Nigerian?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by IYANGBALI: 8:18pm On Jan 12, 2010
because they are insultive "INSULTING"
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Leilah(f): 9:44pm On Jan 12, 2010
African Americans are loud too! its just the culture! they dont mean it and deep down a lot of the Nigerians are very good at reasoning. But on the street, a typical 'jist' can result in one calling the cops, thinking there is a fight. Now thats what people need to be mindful of. My husband and his friends were in a restaurant before and one neighbour was terrified and called the police b'cos she thought there was going to be a big punch up or something. The police knocked on the door came in and asked what the fighting was for, the guys just had to then explain they were just 'talking' about politicians etc. I thought that was so funny.

ONe good point is you guys do not use vile language liek the way we do here!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by selencious(f): 1:35am On Jan 19, 2010
Did you say Nigerians are insultive?? Come to the U.S and tryna mess up with a black American, then uld know the real definition of Insult, I mean, they are worse than Nigerians. If this thread was made up of Black Americans, 90% of what u ld hear would be , f***k this and that, Whites are quite better though,  In some areas, I know Nigerians are so insultive, especially the yorubas, the illeterate ones amongst them, not on this thread but I mean in real life, OMG, They piss mi off big time,
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by harakiri(m): 5:39am On Jan 19, 2010
Why do some posters love to downgrade their own people using the privacy this forum provides?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Nkeon: 3:22pm On Jan 20, 2010
iliveit:

So those few Nigerians you live next to have coloured your judgement for every single Nigerian on the planet?! I've know examples of Jamaicans, Irish, English, Polish and Americans showing such behaviour as well. It's all relative
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by niftyjive: 8:00am On Mar 04, 2010
Let people not forget that being insultive is also our way of joking with one another. Also we can not blame the corruption of our leaders on the insultive ways, it can even be an asset if put to good use. Our leaders are individuals and they chose to be corrupt they did not become that way because of the behaviour of their citizens. Nigerians are mostly all mouth and no action, before you get offended I am a Nigerian too, the problem of being hungry and poor and corruption will stop once everybody decides to act, cooperate to do something about our nation not sit, cry and complain like most of us usually do.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Nobody: 5:30am On Mar 13, 2010
Insulting? Nigerian? Ke!?

I have never seen anyone insult anyone on this forum

Are you sure they're Nigerians?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by chic2pimp(m): 5:38am On Mar 13, 2010
Theblessed:

N a wa 4 this woman and her long esssays ooo undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by ayettymama(f): 5:41am On Mar 13, 2010
lolz

its just a lil bit of fun

people take it to personal

nigerians love to be insulted

its like food!!!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by mamagee3(f): 2:22am On Apr 24, 2010
Cause most Nigerians here are uncivilized, irresponsible, uneducated and ignorant mofos that take out their anger and frustrations on a user hiding behind their computer screens.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by honeric01(m): 10:56am On Aug 03, 2010
The Yoruba are the most insulting and abusive Nigerians i have ever met, if you doubt me, do your research, just go around the street of Lagos or any other Yoruba land and you will hear and see for yourself.

I even asked some yoruba friends why they are so quick at insulting people, all they did was to just laugh, is it that they bathed them with water mixed with curses, abuses and insults?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Pamperme: 12:55pm On Aug 03, 2010
honeric01:

The Yoruba are the most insulting and abusive Nigerians i have ever met, if you doubt me, do your research, just go around the street of Lagos or any other Yoruba land and you will hear and see for yourself.

I even asked some yoruba friends why they are so quick at insulting people, all they did was to just laugh, is it that they bathed them with water mixed with curses, abuses and insults?

May be that's to show that they really dont mean the insult. am Yoruba to the call and insult people well well especially the aboki okada riders and agbero danfo drivers in Lagos. As an example, Honeric, ori e ti daru o, awon ara ile yin ni won fi epe we fun, oloshi oloriburuku grin grin grin
to talk true yorubas sabi insult, my mother grew up in Ibadan and she told me they use to do Festival of Insults/Abuses, lol But generally, these same set of people are the most accommodating people in Nigeria ( i stand to be corrected though) but i have lived among several ethnic group in Nigeria
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by honeric01(m): 1:01pm On Aug 03, 2010
Pamperme:

May be that's to show that they really dont mean the insult. am Yoruba to the call and insult people well well especially the aboki okada riders and agbero danfo drivers in Lagos. As an example, Honeric, ori e ti daru o, awon ara ile yin ni won fi epe we fun, oloshi oloriburuku grin grin grin
to talk true yorubas sabi insult, my mother grew up in Ibadan and she told me they use to do Festival of Insults/Abuses, lol But generally, these same set of people are the most accommodating people in Nigeria ( i stand to be corrected though) but i have lived among several ethnic group in Nigeria

I hope u didn't mean all these? all the same, back to sender by FIRE by FORCE cheesy grin grin

Thank God you agreed with me, why una dey always insult like that? especially when the person is not Yoruba, i live around Yoruba ppl and once they know u cant speak Yoruba, they tend to insult the hell out of u at the slightest provocation, FYI: i can speak, read and write yoruba and i sometimes act as if i don't understand the language just to catch them unaware.

definitely, it's like dem truly used OMI EPE bath una grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Pamperme: 3:57pm On Aug 03, 2010
@Honeric, Na wah o, wetin concern fire with the thing wey i talk naw na cheesy. i was only giving an example, no harm intended o abeg.
it's rather funny, i have been insulted by a Yoruba woman when i was serving in Ilorin, i dont look anything like Yoruba, people tend to think am from Delta, Edo or somewhere in the middle belt, so the woman practically felt the same and she rain insults on me at the market, but trust me, i switch to Yoruba instantly and yab the living thing out of her tongue tongue,

Seriously, i use to ask why we are that insultive but every tribe in this country has its own shortcoming,
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by honeric01(m): 7:03pm On Aug 03, 2010
Lol, Na Only God go save una, let me tell you, the shortcomings of the rest are almost identical unlike una own wey bi curse curse.

Kai, i saw small Yoruba kids raining insults on themselves, i began to wonder if it's one of the things Yoruba parents teach their children.

When u first see a Yoruba person, he or she greets u well, respects u for a while, when u get familiar with them, they then show u the real color by painting u with insults at the slightest provocation.

May God save una.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Wahala90: 5:50pm On Dec 20, 2010
This conversation ensued somewhere in Warri

Foreigner: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting?

Warri Boy: You dey crase? Who tell you say Nigerians dey abusive and insulting? Na so una dey take spoil our image so. See im face like monkey wen drink small stout. Oya run comot here before I kidnap you now. Yeye Oyinbo.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by armyofone(m): 4:16pm On Dec 21, 2010
you wan joke with warri boys grin very funny
grin

Wahala90:

This conversation ensued somewhere in Warri

Foreigner: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting?

Warri Boy: You dey crase? Who tell you say Nigerians dey abusive and insulting? Na so una dey take spoil our image so. See im face like monkey wen drink small stout. Oya run comot here before I kidnap you now. Yeye Oyinbo.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Abusive And Insulting? by Sarahlee1996: 11:32pm On Apr 17, 2018
I am in a relationship with a Nigerian and he can be very loving and show a very good side of him. But I noticed... I have to be very mindful for what I say. And it doesn't necessarily mean I said or did anything wrong. He will get very angry and abusive and stretch the situation 10 miles long, drag it out. It's ludicrous to act in such a inappropriate way especially to your lady and Nigerians don't believe in divorces and I do. angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection / Masquerade At Burial Of Traditional Ruler. Nnewi / Emir Of Daura's One-year-old Daughter Turbaned Magajiya Yakumo Of Daura Emirate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.