Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,761 members, 7,802,321 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:27 PM

Ie6 & 7 On The Same Machine? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Ie6 & 7 On The Same Machine? (893 Views)

Top 7 On-page Seo Advance Guide To A Better Optimized Page / Ie6 Browsers (deprecated Or Not)? / Warning As Hacker Email Code Leaked On Web (a Case To Upgrade From Ie6) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ie6 & 7 On The Same Machine? by WebMonk(m): 8:33pm On Oct 15, 2007
I'm currently testing a site on IE6 and FF that works well on both, except IE7. Is there an emulator or such that one could use? I'm sure someone else has gone through this and has a solution? Thanks
Re: Ie6 & 7 On The Same Machine? by niyyie(m): 9:09pm On Oct 15, 2007
Verily, verily, I say unto thee, if thou writest thine CSS and XHTML code in a valid standard format, it shall display very well across all major browsers.

Try checking your code using W3C's Validator.

At this point, you might have to use another computer that has IE 7 or better still, paste the code here for folks to trouble-shoot and help out.
Re: Ie6 & 7 On The Same Machine? by WebMonk(m): 9:22pm On Oct 15, 2007
but, wouldn't the file need to the be on the server?
Re: Ie6 & 7 On The Same Machine? by xanadu: 10:17pm On Oct 15, 2007
@webmonk, first of all, take a look at this page:

http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

There is an application you can download there, called Multiple IE, which installs several versions of ie - (6, 7, even 3 and 4!). Do read the instructions carefully, though, before installing.

With regards to your site, for some reason it stretches with ff and ie6. Looking through your css, I cannot confidently say I can see anything wrong with it. My thinking? The image on the page (dls.jpg). Try manipulating that image - resizing, or removing completely - and see the effect. Sorry I can't be of much help, but I suspect the cause of the stretching comes from some issue with the image.
Re: Ie6 & 7 On The Same Machine? by WebMonk(m): 11:28pm On Oct 15, 2007
xanadu:

@webmonk, first of all, take a look at this page:

http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

There is an application you can download there, called Multiple IE, which installs several versions of ie - (6, 7, even 3 and 4!). Do read the instructions carefully, though, before installing.

With regards to your site, for some reason it stretches with ff and ie6. Looking through your css, I cannot confidently say I can see anything wrong with it. My thinking? The image on the page (dls.jpg). Try manipulating that image - resizing, or removing completely - and see the effect. Sorry I can't be of much help, but I suspect the cause of the stretching comes from some issue with the image.

Ok - that's hard to process, as i'm using the latest version of FF (2.0.0.7) and IE6 and it doesn't strectch. But the computer IS a crazy device. I've resized the picture. Do me a favor and check it ok? thanks

BTW, have you personally used the Multiple installer? i just downloaded IE7 and i'm about to install it. or anything else i should know? thanks again NL!
Re: Ie6 & 7 On The Same Machine? by WebMonk(m): 1:11am On Oct 16, 2007
Alright, i'm back, with gunz blazing! I've installed IE7, tweaked the code here and there, and tada! the scroll bars disappeared when i removed the float attribute from the right column (under the class "comment_styling"wink. Not the way a Web Standard Browser should work now, is it? angry

It might be a bloody step in making everyone change from IE6 and the hacks we've gotten used to, but it will be worth it.

i hate Microsoft! angry(Although a necessary evil) wink

A Gigabazillion Thanks to xanadu for the Emulator!
Re: Ie6 & 7 On The Same Machine? by my2cents(m): 2:23am On Oct 16, 2007
i would have laughed at that comment, but after tons of code and polishing in IE6 & FF and finding it stretch over in IE7 has taken the humor out of me.

Herein lies the need for unit testing - in the future, code in pieces and test across the board. That way, when there is a problem, you can easily narrow it down. As someone once said, "think evolution, not revolution".

I am happy you finally found an emulator/the offending code. Good Luck!

(1) (Reply)

Comments On www.nigerianebusiness.com / Let's Build A Website Together / How Can I Enter?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.