Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,272 members, 7,780,610 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:34 PM

Are Ijaws Related To Igbos ? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Ijaws Related To Igbos ? (19745 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Ijaws Related To Igbos ? by ijawcitizen(m): 1:00pm On Apr 17, 2013
ChinenyeN: Ijaw Citizen, before I give an actual response, I'd like to address something I saw in your response to Odenigbo Aroli.

If I am to be blatant, I would tell you that you are actually mistaken. The terms you've mentioned above are not synonymous (they are not variations of one another).

Orlu (pronounced "aw-lugh" ) is the name of a people in Imo state, who are part of the Isu group.

Ohu (pronounced "oh-luu" ) is an Igbo word used to describe something along the lines of 'indentured servants'.

Oru (pronounced "oh-ruu" ) is, as I explained earlier, the name of a people who indigenously reside along the river Niger. Oru ("oh-ruu" ) also is an actual Igbo word with an actual meaning, being "marsh land" or "riverine".

As you can see, it was wrong of you to equate those three together as being synonymous. Orlu is not a pronunciation for "Oru". Orlu and Oru are two different groups (they consider themselves distinct from one another) in Imo state, and they actually live contiguous to one another. They are immediate neighbors who share a border.

I hope now we are on the same page as to the differences between Ohu, Orlu and Oru.
LOL!!! Mr Chinenye N. you amaze me, I seriously do not need all these lectures on synonyms and difference between words. I wasn't the one who 'synonymized' all those words, I learnt it from your Igbo brothers so pls save the lectures for them. Really funny though!

ChinenyeN: This above explanation was in no way to state whether Oru people are "Ijaw" or "Igbo". Instead, the only reason for that explanation was because you earlier claimed that the term "Oru" had no meaning in Igbo language, which was an assertion I aimed to promptly correct.
Yet despite all the Igbo meaning of Oru you gave, none of them applies to what the Oru-Igbos call themselves, the status quo still stands; They don't call themselves Oru because they are riverine, as a matter of fact the Oru-Igbo areas are not all riverine.
ChinenyeN: Now, I can understand and respect that you, as an Ijaw nationalist (that is what your behavior shows me), are maintaining the nationalistic "Ijaw" stance. Nevertheless, I cannot, in my right mind, "admit that Oru is Ijaw". That does not make sense to me. In fact, I find that bolded statement "failed to admit that Oru is Ijaw" to be very inconsiderate and needlessly quarrelsome, in the sense that it is neglectful and unnecessarily one-sided.
So the knowledge/things you haven't acquired "in your right mind", doesn't make sense to you.? Meaning whatever you haven't come to understand, you criticize and dismiss them outrightly?

I do really understand the Igbo resistance to this uncommon knowledge, I truely do! They have delibrately denied theirselves the knowledge of the truth about their neighbours and replaced it with a crooked philosophy by maintaining an Igbo-centric origin of the Niger Delta, mostly in the Ijaw areas. It baffles me that an average igbo man knows nothing of their Ijaw neighbours but yet got the audacity to postulate an Igbo origin/ancestry for Ijaw people in other threads.

Abagworo: The answer is none of those. Oru Igbo see themselves as "Riverine", which is what their name actually means. The name "Oru" for the Oru Igbo is different from the "oru" for work, slaves or foreign, strange or faraway town.

I honestly do believe that when it comes to this discussion of "Oru", you are overstretching your claims.
Apparently, you seem to be the ones who haven't acquired the required minimum knowledge to discuss Oru (No offence intended) because the truth is I'm just scratching the surface of this topic and I'd be encouraged to give out more information/details when you show signs of better acquiantance to this topic. I've been the one producing facts all you do is refute them without evidence (you actually said they are inconsiderate and quarrelsome) simply because it does fit to your earlier held "Igbo superstition", in your exact words "because it doesn't make sense".

Like I said, the friction here is that Igbos know little or nothing about Ijaws so lets discuss Oru when you learn more. Shallom!
Re: Are Ijaws Related To Igbos ? by ChinenyeN(m): 1:36pm On Apr 17, 2013
I don't get what is difficult to understand. No one is contending with you about Oru and Ijaw. This discussion is about Oru and Igbo. There are some things you don't know about the Oru and Igbo side of the issue which people here (one of whom is Oru himself) have been earnestly trying to share with you, but you seem more bent on arguing, as if this issue is one-sided. Anyway, I stated earlier on that didn't come here to argue. You can have your Oru and Ijaw. No one is taking that away from you. I have already shared what I came here to share.
Re: Are Ijaws Related To Igbos ? by ijawcitizen(m): 7:47pm On Apr 18, 2013
@OP (Oduasolja)
pls give your verdict
Re: Are Ijaws Related To Igbos ? by dalet: 6:04pm On Oct 18, 2014
Ijaw seems to be equivalent to Yahu which is the Elohim of Israel/Jacob/ יַעֲקֹב (YABQ) latin version Iacobus. Westerners influence Igbo using English letters origin of latin writing forms. The G in Igbo is velar plosive and similar to Q,K and C in sound. Igbo may very well be Icbo influence by western writing system of latin. The J in Ijaw may also be influence by Latin writings systems. Igbos say they are from Jacob who served Yahu/Ijaw. Descendants of Jacob are brothers that are the people of Yahu/Ijaw. Yahu came down from Heaven/Skies and made man. Some have it to think the ancestors of the Ijaw people fell down from the skies.
Re: Are Ijaws Related To Igbos ? by Emyachris: 2:59pm On May 08, 2015
Ijaw, my grandfather's call them olu/oru we find it difficult differentiating r n L. An igbo adage says " olu na igbo nulu onu m' = let the whole people irrespective of clan hear my voice. The truth is that we are cousins. U will doubt it if I tell u dt most anambrarian are Ijaw or olu. Well our father's couldn't document well.
Re: Are Ijaws Related To Igbos ? by Captain8(m): 9:16pm On Aug 26, 2020
igbos are very problematic. very troublesome people. fighting people over their own land and ancestors again. ijaw and igbo are too distinct. they are not even brothers. igbos are like headless chicken roaming about looking for where to stay. or sheeps without shepherd roaming about entering anywhere to eat.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Ghetto Names / I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy / The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.