Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,148 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:48 AM

Life In The Usa As A Student. - Travel (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life In The Usa As A Student. (140043 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Fleure(f): 5:08pm On Jul 14, 2016
Olacombs23:

Hi good day, as an international student, will I have to pay a part payment of the school fees in UMD before coming to the u.s and is it compulsory I write an eng proficiency test bfore i'll be given admission in UMD??
Thanks

Yes, you have to pass TOEFL OR IELTS to prove your English proficency. The only exceptions are if you took an advanced English course in the US already. Also, NO you don't have to pay a part of your school fees until you actually resume and register for classes. Your tuition fees in umd depend on how many credits(classes) you're taking that semester and you have 2 weeks after resuming to pay before incurring late fee charges.
This is specific to the UMD in college park but it also applies to the ones in Baltimore and the county as well.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jul 14, 2016
Fleure:

Yes, you have to pass TOEFL OR IELTS to prove your English proficency. The only exceptions are if you took an advanced English course in the US already. Also, NO you don't have to pay a part of your school fees until you actually resume and register for classes. Your tuition fees in umd depend on how many credits(classes) you're taking that semester and you have 2 weeks after resuming to pay before incurring late fee charges.
This is specific to the UMD in college park but it also applies to the ones in Baltimore and the county as well.
Alright, thanks for the explanation. I sent you an Email message, kindly reply back
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by HowAreYou(m): 12:20pm On Aug 08, 2016
whizfem:

Its one and half hour from Knoxville where i am.
You should find Nigerians there no doubt

Bro, Please just want to ask some questions, for someone intending to study in US (Georgia), please can you just give a total estimation of the cost all through the 4years of study..school fees exempted.

And please about the bank statement of sponsor, Do US universities accept self sponsorship grin.. You might find it funny, but i really mean it. Thanks in anticipation for your response.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by SophiaLisa(f): 7:19pm On Aug 23, 2016
Hi Nairalanders. Biko, can someone tell me where to buy Yam in New York ooooooo. I want to make better Peppersoup. Help a student oooooo

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by classichsy(m): 10:55pm On Aug 23, 2016
Yam and pepper soup in a sentence i cant imagine the scary dish you wanna make.lols

SophiaLisa:
Hi Nairalanders. Biko, can someone tell me where to buy Yam in New York ooooooo. I want to make better Peppersoup. Help a student oooooo

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 11:24pm On Aug 31, 2016
classichsy:
Yam and pepper soup in a sentence i cant imagine the scary dish you wanna make.lols

Ji mmiri oku?

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by classichsy(m): 11:32pm On Aug 31, 2016
whats this. Its only Igbira language I don't understand.

Euma:

Ji mmiri oku?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 1:33am On Sep 01, 2016
smiley
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by ngobaby2264: 6:44am On Sep 01, 2016
Hello friends. Please I have a question. I want to study bsc nursing in USA. My university degree is not that great. Can I use my waec? Or would I write SAT?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by mrjojo: 9:06am On Sep 01, 2016
ngobaby2264:
Hello friends. Please I have a question. I want to study bsc nursing in USA. My university degree is not that great. Can I use my waec? Or would I write SAT?
bros,write SAT and make sure you ACE it
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by ngobaby2264: 11:12am On Sep 01, 2016
mrjojo:
bros,write SAT and make sure you ACE it
thanks a lot. I'm a girl.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by mrjojo: 11:59am On Sep 01, 2016
ngobaby2264:
thanks a lot. I'm a girl.
oh my bad. You welcome
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by classichsy(m): 11:59am On Sep 01, 2016
I don't have time googling for igbira lang.

Euma:

google is your friend my brother
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Sammie2014: 6:11pm On Sep 16, 2016
Hello boss and bosses in the house, pls I want to know if it is possible to study n work in US and cope with taking care of a baby. Pls help a sister
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by worry359(m): 6:30pm On Sep 16, 2016
Sammie2014:
Hello boss and bosses in the house, pls I want to know if it is possible to study n work in US and cope with taking care of a baby. Pls help a sister

Would have to say no.
As a student you will be limited to where and when you can work.
Jobs are not certain and wages will not pay tuition.
Thinking of study plus work plus caring for baby is not a good plan.
For one thing you will have to pay for very expensive child care before you spend a cent on anything else!

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Sammie2014: 7:12pm On Sep 17, 2016
worry359:

Would have to say no.
As a student you will be limited to where and when you can work.
Jobs are not certain and wages will not pay tuition.
Thinking of study plus work plus caring for baby is not a good plan.
For one thing you will have to pay for very expensive child care before you spend a cent on anything else!

Kk. Tanx for ur advice
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Fleure(f): 4:21am On Sep 18, 2016
Sammie2014:

I have an aunt that did this and she's now a successful graduate. 1) the work she was doing was for extra change, she already had her tuition money set aside 2) she had some cousins and nieces in the area that helped her babysit when she was in school/work.

So I'll say it's very possible if you already have your tuition fees set aside (or at least most of it) and if you have a friend/sister/cousins etc in the area that can help you babysit. Otherwise, your student job won't cut it neither will the extra expenses to pay for babysitters make it easy for you.

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by sofadj(m): 5:12pm On Oct 01, 2016
Sammie2014:

The straight answer to your question is YES. In USA almost anything is possible, though few things are easy.
Meanwhile it depends on a lot of factors like someone said earlier. But It is possible.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by purplesummer(f): 2:34pm On Oct 18, 2016
Euma:

Ji mmiri oku?
Lol. I've seen my sister.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by HoneyBronzed: 7:41pm On Dec 17, 2016
gimbus:

I understand with you and i was once in your position. Mine was a bit better because i am in one of the STEM fields. You should definitely say you don't require sponsorship(which you don't for now since you have OPT) and let the company make you an offer first. I had several offers with companies that don't sponsor H1 but they considered me for sponsorship after talking to their lawyers/HR. Bringing up sponsorship issues during recruitment will definitely reduce your chances of getting hired. Some interviewers however insist that you provide your work status and you should always say EAD. How ever if they want you to be specific, then you can say EAD OPT. Give me your contact and i will be in touch to discuss further.

Biko at what point after getting the offer do you mention sponsorship of H1? I got an offer from a company who knew I am an international. I want to know what point I discuss the H1 sponsorship. PS I haven't accepted the offer yet.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by HoneyBronzed: 7:45pm On Dec 17, 2016
Is there a place where you can check your tax records, to see if you are deficient in any area?

Secondly who is in the DMV area?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by HoneyBronzed: 8:02pm On Dec 17, 2016
Elpieda:

Mehnnnn bros/sis I feel you, I was in the same boat too almost 2 years ago, I applied like no man business, even to companies that were not in my career line. I ended up getting a job in my career path but they specifically told me I could only stay till after my OPT expired since they have never hired a non-US citizen in their company before, After my OPT expired, HR told my boss to open up my position but since my boss already got used to me and liked the fact that I work hard and do my job diligently, he went ahead to hire a lawyer to file for me (with Board approval) and that's how I got my H1B sponsored last year,

My point is persevere, Apply online and go the extra mile to call the companies if possible and speak to them. Also, conduct physical visits to potential employers, If you can get their HR contact, call, talk to the person and explain intelligently what you want. With the company I work with, I sent in my application plus reference letters even though they did not ask for it just to prove my worth, 

N/B: some employers may not like the whole perseverance deal but that's what I did,

Hi, what point after getting an offer can one discuss H1B sponsorship? I have an offer which I have accepted. They know I'm international but no mention of H1B visa. I'm in the STEM field so I plan to use OPT after I graduate in May.

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by biikeys(m): 9:51pm On Dec 18, 2016
HoneyBronzed:

Hi, what point after getting an offer can one discuss H1B sponsorship? I have an offer which I have accepted. They know I'm international but no mention of H1B visa. I'm in the STEM field so I plan to use OPT after I graduate in May.

You should mention it to HR before resuming if you need them to sponsor you..you don't want them to start telling you stories after you might have joined.
You can request your own past tax transcripts from IRS website. Legally, no one can obtain your tax records without your consent/authorization.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by sofadj(m): 10:00pm On Dec 18, 2016
HoneyBronzed:
Is there a place where you can check your tax records, to see if you are deficient in any area?

Secondly who is in the DMV area?

I am
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by ase65(f): 12:47pm On Mar 26, 2017
Hello
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Abigalbee98(f): 12:30am On Apr 11, 2017
pls anyone at did schools_alcorn state uni,delta state uni and Mississippi uni for woman.....just have some questions to ask
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by mrjojo: 6:53pm On Jun 07, 2017
Alexzy17:
you really need an agent to help you in the whole process email me nollylink070@gmail.com
lol see this one, to any every one, you don't need any one, all process can be done by yourself. Please don't pay any "agent"
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by VisaOfficer: 7:49pm On Jun 07, 2017
Alexzy17:
for Nigeria students that want to travel to USA with student visa , dont worry is very easy all you need is the right information and guide . am a USA student visa agent and i help many students to travel to USA with easy visa process. call me Alex +234 07063663501

This is the fastest way to nearly 100% guarantee you will NOT get a visa. Do this at your own risk.

Regards,
VO

15 Likes

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Johnolukolade(m): 11:37pm On Jun 14, 2017
Hello everyone. I've got an inquiry. I haven't received my certificate from my school and it's part of the requirements I'll send to WES. So I figure I should send my statement of result since it bear my degree type. Will wes process my transcript?? I need answers pls.

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (Reply)

Diary Of A Nigerian Student living In Moscow, Russia. / Top 10 African Countries With The Finest Men / Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.