Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,830 members, 7,802,659 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:25 PM

Life In The Usa As A Student. - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life In The Usa As A Student. (139980 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by phy: 8:02am On Feb 08, 2012
Elpieda:

Concerning filing taxes, I think I need to break this down so every international student can learn and not make the same mistake most people are making.

1) If you come into the United States on an F-1 visa, you are a non-resident for tax purposes and you are to file the form 1040 NR-EZ. This is the form you are to file for the first five years of you being on a student visa including when you are on an OPT.  Obviously, filing a form 1040 NR-EZ does not get you much of a refund as a regular 1040 that residents file but please don't get tempted to file the wrong form (1040) because it usually has repercussions if you intend to become a permanent resident down the line. Please feel free to ask me more concerning taxes and I can help to the best of my ability. I have been doing this for a while,

2)Concerning softwares for filing taxes, Glacier is a good one and usually, most schools already purchase a certain number of licenses with the company to help their international students file their taxes. But if you are on an OPT, you can still purchase an individual license with the company for $39 I think. Personally I dont think you need to pay that much. There is a website called www.visataxes.com that has a wealth of info for internationals students and taxes. They aslo have a free 1040 NR-EZ software which you can use to prepare your taxes.

3) Even if you did not make any income in one particular year, you still need to go ahead and fill out Form 8843 and mail it to the IRS center in Austin so that your information can always be up to date in their database,

There is so much more information on filing taxes for international students, So feel free to ask questions,

Elpieda, I have never heard anything about the 1040 NR-EZ form. Please can you shed more light on this. The only form I know and was sent to me is the W-2.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Sagewood: 8:09am On Feb 08, 2012
For those of you aspiring to study here in the USA, remember to plan accordingly.
I would recommend that you pursue a program in Healthcare/ medical sciences,
such as Pharmacy, Medicine, Physical Therapy, Nursing, Dentistry, Medical Assistant program,
Dental Hygiene, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Prosthetics & Orthotics and Radiological sciences/ Tech.
These areas currently enjoy high favorability in employment, and will continue for the next 10 years according to the
US Dept. of Labor. This is because of the aging population, and especially the baby-boomers.
No point in studying some worthless courses and you can't even find an employer to sponsor you.
Even if you marry an American and get your papers, finding a job may still be a problem.
This is my 2 cents contribution as a Nigerian American Doctor in the USA.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by FutureDon(m): 8:28am On Feb 08, 2012
Sagewood:

For those of you aspiring to study here in the USA, remember to plan accordingly.
I would recommend that you pursue a program in Healthcare/ medical sciences,
such as Pharmacy, Medicine, Physical Therapy, Nursing, Dentistry, Medical Assistant program,
Dental Hygiene, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Prosthetics & Orthotics and Radiological sciences/ Tech.
These areas currently enjoy high favorability in employment, and will continue for the next 10 years according to the
US Dept. of Labor. This is because of the aging population, and especially the baby-boomers.
No point in studying some worthless courses and you can't even find an employer to sponsor you.
Even if you marry an American and get your papers, finding a job may still be a problem.
This is my 2 cents contribution as a Nigerian American Doctor in the USA.

Thanks for the info, how about Graduate degree in the field of Biomedical Sciences (Anatomy, Cell Biology, Neuroscience e.t.c)? Can they also fit into this category. I'm looking in that direction.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Sagewood: 8:58am On Feb 08, 2012
^^^ Graduate studies in the areas you listed are OK, except Anatomy. If the graduate studies lead to a PhD, then you will have many
options. At Masters' level, your options will be limited.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Kakatazz(f): 11:15am On Feb 08, 2012
Sagewood:

^^^ Graduate studies in the areas you listed are OK, except Anatomy. If the graduate studies lead to a PhD, then you will have many
What about people in the ICT field?I am looking at an MBA in IT and if you could confirm or advise on possible HEALTH care related short courses I could take (Na money Matter my guy grin) please I wont mind.Yeh also I am married with a kid so any hope for my family migrating seamlessly?I have got Aunties and Cousins in the US with green cards.Does the Law allow such relatives file for stay,benefits etc? Your candid advice is needed.

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by ojdollars(m): 11:26am On Feb 08, 2012
Sagewood:

@Sagewood , Thank you for the good piece of information you gave out on here. I just want to find out for someone who is aspiring to study Medicine, like how many years she is going to spend till her finals if studying in the States? And another cousin of mine who wants to pursue a career in either Health-care / medical sciences. Pharmacy or Nursing, the duration of the courses over there in the States? Your candid advise is awaited. Thank you
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 3:12pm On Feb 08, 2012
ojdollars:

@Sagewood , Thank you for the good piece of information you gave out on here. I just want to find out for someone who is aspiring to study Medicine, like how many years she is going to spend till her finals if studying in the States? And another cousin of mine who wants to pursue a career in either Health-care / medical sciences. Pharmacy or Nursing, the duration of the courses over there in the States? Your candid advise is awaited. Thank you

you have to note that your options to study medicine in the US as an international student are SEVERELY limited. Most medical schools are very clear; no admission possible if you do not hold a US passport or green card.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by ojdollars(m): 4:14pm On Feb 08, 2012
davidylan:

you have to note that your options to study medicine in the US as an international student are SEVERELY limited. Most medical schools are very clear; no admission possible if you do not hold a US passport or green card.

Thanks David, inquiring for the younger generation whose aspiration is to school in the US in the various courses that I listed up there. I will get the information across to them. What about the others, do you have an idea of the % of their chances to gain admission to any good school in the US to study the courses listed?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 7:51pm On Feb 08, 2012
ojdollars:

Thanks David, inquiring for the younger generation whose aspiration is to school in the US in the various courses that I listed up there. I will get the information across to them. What about the others, do you have an idea of the % of their chances to gain admission to any good school in the US to study the courses listed?

A phd program in biomedical/biological sciences is practically free. Try that route, you can drop out after the masters with no obligations and then try the medical school route (preferably you would have married and gotten a green card lol).

overloved:

hello, nice job you guys are doing over here. i have learnt enough from these thread and many others by the comments and post so far. pls if you don't mind, these might be contrary to the topic right here but i hope i can get favorable answers. do anyone here know any cheap uni in the USA? I will be going for masters if i am done with my undergraduate studies here. let me start preparing. and also, the option for scholarship and chances of admission. i will be going for masters in any management related course. currently studying business administration in Finland.

regards

Wrong thread. Wrong question.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by justwise(m): 9:12pm On Feb 08, 2012
overloved:

hello, nice job you guys are doing over here. i have learnt enough from these thread and many others by the comments and post so far. pls if you don't mind, these might be contrary to the topic right here but i hope i can get favorable answers. do anyone here know any cheap uni in the USA? I will be going for masters if i am done with my undergraduate studies here. let me start preparing. and also, the option for scholarship and chances of admission. i will be going for masters in any management related course. currently studying business administration in Finland.

regards
Post it here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-823866.0.html

Lets not derail this thread.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Elpieda: 9:28pm On Feb 08, 2012
PHY,

The W-2 that was sent to you is a tax form issued by your employer and it states how much you were paid in the year. The W2 is needed in order to file your tax returns. If you are a non-resident for tax purposes, the form to fill is called the 1040NR-EZ. You fill this form if the following applies to you:

You do not claim any dependents.
You cannot be claimed as a dependent on another person's U.S. tax return
Your only U.S. source income was from wages, salaries, tips etc
Your income in the year is more than $ 3500

You can download this form from the IRS website. If you will rather use a software to make the process easier and simpler, Glacier Tax Preparation is one of the companies I know that helps with non-resident taxes. Also www.visataxes.com has a free software you could use to help fill the form and determine your tax refund/tax liability.You can fill in the online tax form, and the software generates completed Form 1040NR EZ and Form 8843

The documents needed to fill the form are
Passport with I-94 to fill Immigration related information
SSN/Tax Payers ID
W-2
Form 1042-S - Statement of Scholarship or Fellowship from the University (if applicable)
Form 1099-G - Taxable Refunds or Credits from State or Local Income Taxes (if applicable)
Form 1098E - Qualified Student Loan Interest Statement (if applicable)

Hope that helps

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by FutureDon(m): 11:44pm On Feb 08, 2012
davidylan:

A phd program in biomedical/biological sciences is practically free. Try that route, you can drop out after the masters with no obligations and then try the medical school route (preferably you would have married and gotten a green card lol).

Free with 'Stipend' as well.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by GboyegaD(m): 5:38am On Feb 09, 2012
davidylan:

Wrong thread. Wrong question.

David, I would appreciate if you can send me a mail. My email address is: gboyegadaniels@yahoo.com.
Regards.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Sagewood: 6:11am On Feb 09, 2012
Kakatazz:

What about people in the ICT field?I am looking at an MBA in IT and if you could confirm or advise on possible HEALTH care related short courses I could take (Na money Matter my guy  grin) please I wont mind.Yeh also I am married with a kid so any hope for my family migrating seamlessly?I have got Aunties and Cousins in the US with green cards.Does the Law allow such relatives file for stay,benefits etc? Your candid advice is needed.
[/quote ]

MBA in IT may sound like a great program to pursue, but the outcome is what matters here. MBA / IT will be too competitive for a foreigner to find suitable / well-paying job after graduation. If u decide to pursue any of the health courses I outlined earlier, you will not regret it. Most people in healthcare if they are hard working can make six figure incomes.
Since you are married, your people in the US may not be able to sponsor you. There are many ways to move to the US and get settled, but you will be looking at many years before you can bring your wife and kid. The best way if you are lucky is with the US greencard lottery. U will arrive the US with immigrant status and life will be far easier for u and ur family. There are many US government programs to help newly arrived greencard holders. If u set your mind on relocating to the US, you will achieve it. It requires determination, hard work and most importantly prayers for God's favor.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Sagewood: 6:37am On Feb 09, 2012
ojdollars:

@Sagewood ,  Thank you for the good piece of information you gave out on here. I just want to find out for someone who is aspiring to study Medicine, like how many years she is going to spend till her finals if studying in the States? And another cousin of mine who wants to pursue a career in either Health-care / medical sciences. Pharmacy or Nursing, the duration of the courses over there in the States? Your candid advise is awaited. Thank you
davidylan:

To study medicine, physical therapy, pharmacy, dentistry, prosthetics & orthotics, etc, in the US requires two major steps.

NOTE: It is NOT possible to apply for the above courses directly from Nigeria as entry level.

1) These courses are graduate level- based courses, meaning that they are NOT
offered as undergraduate courses, except nursing. You will have to complete at least a bachelor's degree and
meet other requirements (know as pre-requisites in the US) prior to applying to these courses.

2)Most of the courses will require you to attend series of interviews prior to acceptance in addition to near perfect GPA in
your undergraduate studies. This is because it is extremely competitive to get admissions into the above courses.

Nursing is still at undergraduate level (community colleges for RN and universities for BSN).
You will need to complete the pre-requisites and pass entrance exams prior to acceptance.

My 2 cents advise is this: If u have not completed an undergraduate program, you can apply to study any biological sciences
in the US and when u graduate then apply for the graduate medical/ healthcare programs. OR Study any of the above courses
in Nigeria and relocate after graduation. This may be cheaper for those without deep pockets.

1 Like

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Sagewood: 6:48am On Feb 09, 2012
ojdollars:

@Sagewood ,  Thank you for the good piece of information you gave out on here. I just want to find out for someone who is aspiring to study Medicine, like how many years she is going to spend till her finals if studying in the States? And another cousin of mine who wants to pursue a career in either Health-care / medical sciences. Pharmacy or Nursing, the duration of the courses over there in the States? Your candid advise is awaited. Thank you

Please refer to my earlier contributions for pre-requisites for medicine and other health care programs.
For the duration of study, it is 4 - years for medicine (graduate level) and 3 - years for the other health care courses (graduate level).

Total duration for medicine:  8- years (4 for undergraduate and 4 for graduate), and the rest ( 4  for undergrad and 3 for graduate) before
you finish.

For Nursing: 2-3 years for RN (depends on the pre-requisites to complete) and 3-4 years for BSN (depends on the pre-requisites to complete).
Note: Nursing's entry level into the profession is still at community college/ undergraduate level.

2 Likes

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nosyke(m): 9:25am On Feb 09, 2012
Nice thread, wonderful contributions
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Elaineh: 5:29pm On Feb 09, 2012
My fellow F1 visa holders,

Looking for a job in this US where we dey, iss not beans o! Am currently a graduate student with a May 2012 graduate date. I'm seriously looking for a job right now because I don't feel like returning to Naija with its Boko Haram, corruption and other home-grown disasters. I'm looking for a job everywhere - online job boards, alumni networks and milking my few connections but nothing dey happen as of yet. I am facing a huge dilemna with regards to the dreaded "sponsorship" question." Will you now or in the future require H1 visa sponsorship"? Here are my arguments for and against full and honest disclosure:

Lie and say that I do not need sponsorship. Why?:
- If I tell a company that I do require H1 visa sponsorship, chances are that the company's online application system will detect that and trash my resume/application before any human being even gets to see it.
- Even if a human being gets to review my resume, if they see that I require sponsorship, they will not even give me a chance, in spite of my work experience and qualifications.

Be honest. Why?
- When the time comes for me to receive a job offer, I might be asked to show proof of work authorization. When the employer sees that I am on OPT, they will put two and two together. They might wonder why I was deceptive in the first place when asked if I would require sponsorship
- If I am hired despite my need for sponsorship, it will save me headache when the time comes for me to ask if the company is willing to put in an H1 petition so that I can continue to work at the company.

All those who are going through this process or have gone through it and somehow managed to get a job, please weigh in with advice and share your experiences!
Thenx

3 Likes

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by gongoaso1: 5:56pm On Feb 09, 2012
^^^ I think you should put it in that you will need sponsorship and pray it's a company that files H1 typically.
Keep trying as I can see your efforts already by networking, alumni and stuffs.

Be sure to be an active member of NSBE too, I'm assuming you are an engineer.
The US economy is picking up and employment for engineers is currently looking up and getting favourable.
Stay positive!!!

Cheers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 6:03pm On Feb 09, 2012
Elaineh:

Looking for a job in this US where we dey, iss not beans o! Am currently a graduate student with a May 2012 graduate date. I'm seriously looking for a job right now because I don't feel like returning to Naija with its Boko Haram, corruption and other home-grown disasters. I'm looking for a job everywhere - online job boards, alumni networks and milking my few connections but nothing dey happen as of yet. I am facing a huge dilemna with regards to the dreaded "sponsorship" question." Will you now or in the future require H1 visa sponsorship"? Here are my arguments for and against full and honest disclosure:

- If I tell a company that I do require H1 visa sponsorship, chances are that the company's online application system will detect that and trash my resume/application before any human being even gets to see it.
- Even if a human being gets to review my resume, if they see that I require sponsorship, they will not even give me a chance, in spite of my work experience and qualifications.

Be honest. Why?
- When the time comes for me to receive a job offer, I might be asked to show proof of work authorization. When the employer sees that I am on OPT, they will put two and two together. They might wonder why I was deceptive in the first place when asked if I would require sponsorship
- If I am hired despite my need for sponsorship, it will save me headache when the time comes for me to ask if the company is willing to put in an H1 petition so that I can continue to work at the company.

All those who are going through this process or have gone through it and somehow managed to get a job, please weigh in with advice and share your experiences!
Thenx

first of all, what graduate program are you involved in?
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Elaineh: 6:11pm On Feb 09, 2012
mba,
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Nobody: 7:33pm On Feb 09, 2012
Elaineh:

mba,

therein lies the problem. You majored in a program that has a glut of american citizens looking for similar jobs.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by gimbus(f): 9:10pm On Feb 09, 2012
Elaineh:

Be honest. Why?

Thenx

I understand with you and i was once in your position. Mine was a bit better because i am in one of the STEM fields. You should definitely say you don't require sponsorship(which you don't for now since you have OPT) and let the company make you an offer first. I had several offers with companies that don't sponsor H1 but they considered me for sponsorship after talking to their lawyers/HR. Bringing up sponsorship issues during recruitment will definitely reduce your chances of getting hired. Some interviewers however insist that you provide your work status and you should always say EAD. How ever if they want you to be specific, then you can say EAD OPT. Give me your contact and i will be in touch to discuss further.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Elpieda: 9:48pm On Feb 09, 2012
Elaineh:

Be honest. Why?

Thenx

Mehnnnn bros/sis I feel you, I was in the same boat too almost 2 years ago, I applied like no man business, even to companies that were not in my career line. I ended up getting a job in my career path but they specifically told me I could only stay till after my OPT expired since they have never hired a non-US citizen in their company before, After my OPT expired, HR told my boss to open up my position but since my boss already got used to me and liked the fact that I work hard and do my job diligently, he went ahead to hire a lawyer to file for me (with Board approval) and that's how I got my H1B sponsored last year,

My point is persevere, Apply online and go the extra mile to call the companies if possible and speak to them. Also, conduct physical visits to potential employers, If you can get their HR contact, call, talk to the person and explain intelligently what you want. With the company I work with, I sent in my application plus reference letters even though they did not ask for it just to prove my worth, 

N/B: some employers may not like the whole perseverance deal but that's what I did,

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by kidUrbane: 1:12am On Feb 10, 2012
@sagewood,
Thanks for your Info, what do you think about becoming an RD(Registered Dietitian) in the U.S.whats the employment prospect.I'm currently pursuing a Nutrition and Dietetics degree here in Nigeria and I intend becoming an RD in the U.S.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Sagewood: 7:56am On Feb 10, 2012
kidUrbane:

@sagewood,
Thanks for your Info, what do you think about becoming an RD(Registered Dietitian) in the U.S.whats the employment prospect.I'm currently pursuing a Nutrition and Dietetics degree here in Nigeria and I intend becoming an RD in the U.S.

I work with RD professionals daily. You are definately in the right direction. The demand for healthcare professionals, including Nutrition & Dietetics continue to see up swing.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by kidUrbane: 11:35pm On Feb 10, 2012
Thanks Sage.please keep the advice coming bro.
Re: Life In The Usa As A Student. by Elaineh: 7:55pm On Feb 11, 2012
Gimbus, Elpieda, Gongo_aso. Thanks a lot for your input and encouragement.
Davidylan, thanks for reminding me of a fact that I am already painfully aware of. I'm looking for advice given my circumstances not a judgement call.
Gimbus, I want to get in touch but your email addie is hidden.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

Diary Of A Nigerian Student living In Moscow, Russia. / Top 10 African Countries With The Finest Men / Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.