Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,362 members, 7,780,985 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:55 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (155) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (805748 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 10:29pm On Jun 20, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:
Cc: Justwise OlowoB fizzile

A friend asked if it's not too late to pay the tuition around July, and hope there's still time.

Waiting for your answers guys.
Thanks
Well it depends. Let your friend check his conditional offer letter,and he will find a date he is expected to pay his first installment. He could pay his first installment before that date then the other installments will follow suit. But atleast the should pay his first installment before that date. If he has the full tuition then fine and better.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 12:00am On Jun 21, 2016
fizzile:
Well it depends. Let your friend check his conditional offer letter,and he will find a date he is expected to pay his first installment. He could pay his first installment before that date then the other installments will follow suit. But atleast the should pay his first installment before that date. If he has the full tuition then fine and better.
Thanks buddy, smiley
What's the exchange of £11,600 and £9,315 to Naira as at now

Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 12:34am On Jun 21, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Thanks buddy, smiley
What's the exchange of £11,600 and £9,315 to Naira as at now

Thanks
To be honest with you,as at now no one can actually tell the rate you will be charged at the bank to pay your tuition,except by this week we all know the new rate. U can only determine it when its been announced. As for the maintenance fee of 9315, u can actually use Oanda to check it. But bear in mind that the rate of Oanda will also change once the new rate is announced.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 1:46am On Jun 21, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

A friend asked if it's not too late to pay the tuition around July, and hope there's still time.

Waiting for your answers guys.
Thanks

Definitely not too late but while he still has not yet paid for tuition, he can keep the maintenance fees in the bank. I will recommend as from 1st of July (maintenance fees should be in the account) so that by the time he must have finished paying for fees, he will just fill his online application and then select date for interview , print out his statement (end of July) and then take along all other required documents already listed on his CAS letter and then go for the interview.

Please note: I am assuming your friends program starts this September. Cheers

Modified

Can I please request that all travel section peeps please vote for my home gal Lanicky before 6pm today.

https://www.nairaland.com/3180901/miss-nairaland-contest-2016-semi-final

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 8:03am On Jun 21, 2016
OlowoB:

Definitely not too late but while he still has not yet paid for tuition, he can keep the maintenance fees in the bank. I will recommend as from 1st of July (maintenance fees should be in the account) so that by the time he must have finished paying for fees, he will just fill his online application and then select date for interview , print out his statement (end of July) and then take along all other required documents already listed on his CAS letter and then go for the interview.

Please note: I am assuming your friends program starts this September. Cheers
Thanks, his program starts in October.
Hope there's still time for him
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LabourParty(m): 8:46am On Jun 21, 2016
spikesC:

Generally, any temp/contractual job pays like crazy especially if you're in a high sought after profession. UK might be many things but am not leaving here soon with what am getting grin

Very true, contract is good but also has some minor problems especially if you have a family.

In IT I know contractors that earn £480 per day , 5 days for a 6 months contract.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dynamitehimself(m): 8:54am On Jun 21, 2016
claremont:

Sunderland, in September. Anyone else on this intake and needs free lifts from a 10 mile radius, free overnight accommodation e.t.c, let me know on here since I'm already on ground. My 2p contribution. cheesy
Mine is sunderland too
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dynamitehimself(m): 8:55am On Jun 21, 2016
fizzile:
GUYS, FOR THOSE OF YOU GOING TO THE UK FOR STUDIES SEPTEMBER THIS YEAR, PLEASE KINDLY INDICATE. I THINK ITS HIGH TIME WE KNEW OURSELVES. IT COULD HELP IN ONE WAY OR THE OTHER. PLEASE INDICATE AND STATE YOUR LOCATION. PROBABLY YOU COULD FIND SOMEONE GOING FOR THE SAME PROGRAMME OR SAME DESTINATION. YOU NEVER CAN TELL HOW HELPFUL IT WILL BE. THANKS.
N/B: AS FOR ME, AM HEADING TO COVENTRY

Headed for sunderland
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LabourParty(m): 9:22am On Jun 21, 2016
chucksbadt:

Thanks for the post bro.

Please what of ICT jobs. Does it pay over there, because back here in Nigeria, am an ICT Network Engineer. I work on system troubleshooting(both hardware and software) and system Networks too.

Will i be permitted to work as a freelance network Engineer during my free time?

Unfortunately network engineers work full time. I've never seen a part time networking job.

It might be out there but very very unlikely.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by KayMagnum(m): 8:39pm On Jun 21, 2016
Dynamitehimself:

Headed for sunderland

Headed for the University of Sunderland as well to study Elect/Elect Engineering.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 10:05pm On Jun 21, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Thanks, his program starts in October.
Hope there's still time for him

He has plenty plenty of time. He can even put his maintenance fees in the account from 1st of August and fix his interview for the 1st week of September. By the end of Septemver, he would have gotten his visa. All the best bro.

Modified

Can I please request that you guys in travel section should please vote for my home gal Lanicky before 6pm today. I would appreciate it.

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by loisella(f): 11:17pm On Jun 21, 2016
If glasgow coledonian a good university when it comes to getting a job after school
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 12:37am On Jun 22, 2016
loisella:
If glasgow coledonian a good university when it comes to getting a job after school

If you are talking about jobs, are you talking about in Uk or in Nigeria?

To be honest with you, Glasgow Caledonian is a lowly ranked school in Uk. Infact, the last I checked, it is not in the top 80 schools in uk and I think Uk has just about 115 or 120 schools there about. So you can see they are very below.

But that should not discourage you as it depends on what is your long term plan hence the reason I asked the question above.

Let me suggest to you that if you can get extra £2,500 or £3,000 pounds, why not apply to Strathclyde Univeristy (In top 40 school in UK)It is also in Glasgow, Scotland just like Caledonian University. The difference in fees between both schools is just about £3000 depending on the program.

If you have the money, I will suggest you go for Strathclyde Jniveristy but if otherwise is the case or probably you have a better discount or offer in Caledonian Univeristy, then I will say go for it. If you read hard enough and you get a distinction (masters) or first class (undergraduates), the school you attended will matter less if you look for Job in Nigeria.

Also please note, the fees in Strathclyde Univeristy is very high but they have very huge amount of scholarships you can take advantage of depending on your course. Infact, let me say that in the whole of Glasgow, only Gkasgow Univeristy probably has more scholarship options than Strathclyde Univeristy.

Caledonian probably has about 5-7 scholarships options but Strathclyde has close to 20 scholarship options for different courses. I know this schools very well.

Univeristy of Glasgow (in top 25 schools in UK) is another school you can try but the fees are very high and the entry requirement to study there is also high when compared to Caledonian University.

All in all, whatever program you chose and whichever school it is, try and check out student satisfaction records, employment rate after Univeristy etc A school with a positive record will always openly display the statistics on their website for everyone to see.

All the best.

Modified

Can I please request that you guys in travel section should please vote befire 6pm today for my home gal Lanicky.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 1:09am On Jun 22, 2016
OlowoB:

He has plenty plenty of time. He can even put his maintenance fees in the account from 1st of August and fix his interview for the 1st week of September. By the end of Septemver, he would have gotten his visa. All the best bro.
Thanks buddy, just that the enrollment is around September ending, does that mean he needs to attend and is the enrollment that necessary?
Also, is it possible going along with the maintenance fee while Travelling? Like changing it into pounds, then go along with it, or what's the best thing to do.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 3:36pm On Jun 22, 2016
To all students coming over to study Uk this September, stay positive, calm and above all prayerful.

Having said this, fizzle, whatamidoinghere, dynamitehimself, merahki et al please support my home gal.

You all should check my signature ASAP.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 11:26pm On Jun 22, 2016
OlowoB:
To all students coming over to study Uk this September, stay positive, calm and above all prayerful.

Having said this, fizzle, whatamidoinghere, dynamitehimself, merahki et al please support my home gal.

You all should check my signature ASAP.
I still need answers to my questions.

Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 11:47pm On Jun 22, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

I still need answers to my questions.

Thanks
Well I will advice you attend it. In most cases, most schools ask students to pay up the second instalment on or before enrolment. So my 2cent is to attend it. Don't know if am on point.
cc: OlowoB and justwise
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 11:49pm On Jun 22, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Thanks buddy, just that the enrollment is around September ending, does that mean he needs to attend and is the enrollment that necessary?
Also, is it possible going along with the maintenance fee while Travelling? Like changing it into pounds, then go along with it, or what's the best thing to do.
From my little knowledge, you can go with your maintenance but I don't think its advicable going with all. U can take some. I think it must not be more than the equivalent of $10,000. Other guys can share more light on this.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 12:00am On Jun 23, 2016
Thanks to you guys Justwise, can you put light to this please.

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 12:10am On Jun 23, 2016
fizzile:
From my little knowledge, you can go with your maintenance but I don't think its advicable going with all. U can take some. I think it must not be more than the equivalent of $10,000. Other guys can share more light on this.
What about going along with £1,000 then when getting there, open an account after that, then you tell your home to send in the remaining mentainance money into your UK bank account from Nigeria.

How about that, just suggesting.

Cc: Justwise OlowoB fizzile and others...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 8:17am On Jun 23, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

What about going along with £1,000 then when getting there, open an account after that, then you tell your home to send in the remaining mentainance money into your UK bank account from Nigeria.

How about that, just suggesting.

Cc: Justwise OlowoB fizzile and others...

Sorry I relied late. Was busy yesterday for my home gal Lanicky. She needs your help this Saturday. Check my signature for more details.

You can do whatever with your maintenance money once you get your visa. The money is yours. Whichever way you decide to go about it is up to you. Provided you have a way of sorting out yourself when you get to Uk in terms of accommodation and feeding.

As for the enrolment, you have enough time since your program starts ending of September. I will suggest you enter Uk at least 1week before resumption so that you have enough time to find your way around and also know the buses that will convey you to school (if staying outside school).

You should go for the enrolment if you get your visa on time bro. Although I don't think it is compulsory as some schools even allow students to come even after 2 weeks of resumption due to visa issues.

Entering Uk early let's you settle in easily. You can then go and do your biometrics at the post office close to where you live, you can easily sort out your accommodation issues, apply for NI on time, open a bank account etc

As for how to go about moving money from Naija to Uk, I really do not know how that parol works. This whole forex stuff no be small thing.Speak to people. All the best bro and don't forget Saturday is all about Lanicky tongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 8:31am On Jun 23, 2016
And to everyone in Uk currently, do not forget Today is today o. BREXIt. I am so voting that Uk leaves the EU. Voting closes 10pm.

I pray that UK leaves the EU and that PM resigns. My prayer will be so answered. I so dislike that man.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 8:39am On Jun 23, 2016
OlowoB:
And to everyone in Uk currently, do not forget Today is today o. BREXIt. I am so voting that Uk leaves the EU. Voting closes 10pm.

I pray that UK leaves the EU and that PM resigns. My prayer will be so answered. I so dislike that man.
Boss OlowoB please can you tell us the implications if the UK leaves EU especially to International students like we.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:43am On Jun 23, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Attending enrollment is important because that is when you get all your course details, student ID, university tour, bank account registration, Health registration and many others.

You don't have to carry all your maintenance money when traveling, you can take 1-2 thousand pounds for the initial expenditures then get the rest transferred later.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dustydee: 9:13am On Jun 23, 2016
claremont:
OK, I will be more regular on this thread from now on as I aim to start another postgraduate programme in Uni in September. As the days, weeks, and months go by, I will try to unleash some useful resources on this thread as it pertains to a lot of things listed below;

1. How to watch ALL Sky and BT channels, ALL Directv/Xfinity/TWC American channels, all movies ever made and those just released, all TV shows ever made and those just released, ALL FOR FREE as long as you have a basic 5mbps internet speed and ideally no usage caps.

2. One guaranteed method for international students with valid visas to be a British citizen in less than 4 years, it could be as short as 1 year depending on how long you have lived in the UK prior to the application. It's a method that I and a few people have used to obtain our citizenship, but it's not for everybody I agree. I don't have a godfather or silver spoon; it's a method only for people who have a long-term plan to use it, get your British passport, and drop it. It's not illegal, and it doesn't involve marrying a big white whale on the pretence of using her for passport.

3. A few work-at-home jobs that international students can engage in that involves buying and selling, requires a basic bit of tech-savviness. All I will do is show you a few facebook groups and the basic outline, it's up to you to implement whatever tactics you want.

4. If you have access to large pool of funds, I will point out some areas in the UK where you can buy some cheap houses and give them out for rent on this thread. If you have just a little spare capital and interested in buying, renovating and renting out properties, I will talk you through the mortgage process on this thread. The rent from the property you buy is enough to pay the mortgage.

4. Everything will be done and spoken openly on this thread and will not respond to pms. I will only email the resources e.g. zip files, that I cannot physically upload on here.

5. I'm also open to questions about anything and everything, and I will try my best to answer them on this thread so everyone can benefit. It might take some time though as I'm involved in a few things on real-life and on other social networks, but it will get attended to eventually.

My first write-up coming up is reference my nos-1 statement on here i.e. getting live TV, movies, TV shows for free anywhere in the world as long as you got internet speed of at least 5mbps. This has nothing to do with using illegal chipped boxes, and for most people who have windows laptops, it requires no expense. This can be used on any TVs with hdmi but you will need to buy an equipment from Amazon, Tesco, Argos or Ebay that costs between £20-£35. This will save you from paying about £200 per month to Sky e.t.c.

I will be posting the details later today or tomorrow; but for those who can't wait, just do some research on ''Kodi''.

Hi Claremont,
still waiting for your update on the other topics you listed, please. Kodi up and running. grin

Do I need to use it with VPN to avoid any wahala?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bourne007(m): 9:16am On Jun 23, 2016
If UK leaves, the plan is they will switch to a point based system meaning candidates are assessed based on suitable education, work experience, age and language ability. At the moment, EU citizens has no restrictions and can live and work in the UK which makes it difficult for non-EU nationals. Leave campaign wants everyone to be on a point based so they can control their border and know who's coming in.

I think international students will benefit from this (depending on whatever rules they come up with).

fizzile:
Boss OlowoB please can you tell us the implications if the UK leaves EU especially to International students like we.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dustydee: 9:16am On Jun 23, 2016
OlowoB:

I'm IN. I like some of Cameron's policies. I don't want him to resign.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:29am On Jun 23, 2016
Bourne007:
If UK leaves, the plan is they will switch to a point based system meaning candidates are assessed based on suitable education, work experience, age and language ability. At the moment, EU citizens has no restrictions and can live and work in the UK which makes it difficult for non-EU nationals. Leave campaign wants everyone to be on a point based so they can control their border and know who's coming in.

I think international students will benefit from this (depending on whatever rules they come up with).

Wishful thinking by them, all lies, have they been able to reduce immigration from non-EU citizens since they come to power?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:31am On Jun 23, 2016
dustydee:

I'm IN. I like some of Cameron's policies. I don't want him to resign.

Voted IN already and i don't like David but this is not about him.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fizzile(m): 9:49am On Jun 23, 2016
Justwise, please from your vast knowledge and experience..please could you tell us the implications of voting IN and OUT..especially for International Students.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gratefulme40: 10:02am On Jun 23, 2016
[quote author=OlowoB post=46841491]And to everyone in Uk currently, do not forget Today is today o. BREXIt. I am so voting that Uk leaves the EU. Voting closes 10pm.

I pray that UK leaves the EU and that PM resigns. My prayer will be so answered. I
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Bourne007(m): 10:28am On Jun 23, 2016
Well not exactly. But the thing is as more people are coming, more people tend to leave at the end of the day. International students for example are almost 70% guaranteed to leave after their studies and new sets of students then come in after. You might not exactly know if it's reduced or not.

justwise:

Wishful thinking by them, all lies, have they been able to reduce immigration from non-EU citizens since they come to power?

(1) (2) (3) ... (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) ... (213) (Reply)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.