Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:55 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (157) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (809555 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 7:18am On Jun 25, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:
OlowoB
You means it's the best time to start paying, and how did you know that the pounds will come down soon.

It is just a forecast my brother and based on what "experts" have said, the naira should appreciate against the pounds albeit little in the coming weeks. By middle of July, the rates should be more favourable (not necessarily a sharp drop in pounds though).

You are lucky your program starts end of September. You can still pay your fees August ending. By then, I am very sure naira would be doing quite well against pounds.

Let's see what happens as the weeks go by.

Please vote my gal today. I beg of you. Check my signature and do the needful. Cheers.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 7:21am On Jun 25, 2016
Dustydee I see you. how your Uk parol? Hope all is well?

Please check my signature, NA today o.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 9:56am On Jun 25, 2016
OlowoB:

It is just a forecast my brother and based on what "experts" have said, the naira should appreciate against the pounds albeit little in the coming weeks. By middle of July, the rates should be more favourable (not necessarily a sharp drop in pounds though).

You are lucky your program starts end of September. You can still pay your fees August ending. By then, I am very sure naira would be doing quite well against pounds.

Let's see what happens as the weeks go by.

Please vote my gal today. I beg of you. Check my signature and do the needful. Cheers.
It's start of October not end of September, and what do you think paying in July. Enrollment is end of September, also what do you think about the 28days for maintenance statement.
What's the best time applying for V after paying for the first tuition in July?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bebe2(f): 3:28pm On Jun 25, 2016
justwise:

I don't see any significant benefit to international students if the UK leaves the EU by the end of today. One of the main reasons why the UK is leaving the EU is to cut down on immigration, so leaving the EU does not mean that they will start dishing out visas to foreign students or others to come to the UK.

The UK can't get rid of Eastern Europeans here already in fact they have not been able to depot many non-EU citizens for more than 9yrs now and immigration number is increasing year by year.

Yes they claimed that they will introduce point based system whereby only people with skills and education will be allowed in to take a job when they score enough point, Australia has the same system but it did not reduce their immigration number rather it increases.

The toughest immigration rule implemented for years now has targeted foreign students.

..before 2008 foreign students don;t need to show that they have money for fees and maintenance money before getting their visas, you only need is admission letter. Many work programs were in place for foreign students after graduation but all have been removed. You can apply for job within the UK after graduation but now you have to do that from your home country.

You don't pay for any health charge before getting a visa but now that is the case.

You can combine 10yrs of studying within the UK to qualify for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) but now you can't as HomeOffice has effectively closed that route.

So the UK leaving the EU will only benefit foreign student if the govt reversed some of those immigration polices else i don't see the benefit to foreign students

I think with time it will reverse some of those horrible policies that have crippled a lot of pple.

The UK will probably go into recession after they totally Exit, some of those eastern European will decide to go back home or to other EU states where they will feel more welcomed.

Then slowly and steadily UK will start recovering and the need for workers will start to arise then they will look for staff from around the world and not just from Europe.

Dats my take on it.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 3:35pm On Jun 25, 2016
bebe2:

I think with time it will reverse some of those horrible policies that have crippled a lot of pple.

The UK will probably go into recession after they totally Exit, some of those eastern European will decide to go back home or to other EU states where they will feel more welcomed.

Then slowly and steadily UK will start recovering and the need for workers will start to arise then they will look for staff from around the world and not just from Europe.

Dats my take on it.

That will probably happen though many Eastern Europeans are British passport holders anyway so they will be find.

Any trade deal will probably include free movement between the two countries so i don't see this exit reducing immigration rather smugglers will make even more money getting people into the UK
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bebe2(f): 3:46pm On Jun 25, 2016
justwise:

That will probably happen though many Eastern Europeans are British passport holders anyway so they will be find.

Any trade deal will probably include free movement between the two countries so i don't see this exit reducing immigration rather smugglers will make even more money getting people into the UK

Free movement ke?

Is dat not what they running away from?

As for smugglers, let them smuggle. As long as the end justifies the means.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:16pm On Jun 25, 2016
bebe2:

Free movement ke?

Is dat not what they running away from?

As for smugglers, let them smuggle. As long as the end justifies the means.

Yes that comes with such agreement, Norway is not member of EU but with their passport you will visit 156 countries, same with Canada and other developed countries that are not member of EU.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 4:20pm On Jun 25, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

It's start of October not end of September, and what do you think paying in July. Enrollment is end of September, also what do you think about the 28days for maintenance statement.
What's the best time applying for V after paying for the first tuition in July?

I will advise you to apply for your visa latest last week of August because August and September are months many students will be applying.

Visa application normally takes 15 working days to process. So by maybe the 3rd week of September you would have gotten your visa and move to Uk for your enrolment.

As for maintenance, I will suggest you have the money in your account latest last week of July. Some schools may decide to see your bank statement showing maintenance fees before issuing you your CAS. If that is the case, by the third week of August, yiur 28 days would have been complete and you would just send the scanned copy to the school and then they would issue you your CAS.

With your CAS, you would then complete your online application and chose date for interview (last week of August) and then register with TLS.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bebe2(f): 4:28pm On Jun 25, 2016
justwise:

Yes that comes with such agreement, Norway is not member of EU but with their passport you will visit 156 countries, same with Canada and other developed countries that are not member of EU.

Dat will be gud.

Except I have this feeling that the EU will want to punish the UK for leaving so they won't be as cooperative ad they are with Norway or Switzerland.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 4:31pm On Jun 25, 2016
bebe2:

Dat will be gud.

Except I have this feeling that the EU will want to punish the UK for leaving so they won't be as cooperative ad they are with Norway or Switzerland.

Madam please how much are your rates now or should I call or text you?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:48pm On Jun 25, 2016
bebe2:

Dat will be gud.

Apparently they promised not to do that and make the exit as amicable as possible but cynical part of me want them to do that and hope that Boris Johnson is the next PM so as to pick up the pieces

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bebe2(f): 5:01pm On Jun 25, 2016
OlowoB:

Madam please how much are your rates now or should I call or text you?

Call or text on Monday, everything is in the air now.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bebe2(f): 5:06pm On Jun 25, 2016
justwise:

Apparently they promised not to do that and make the exit as amicable as possible but cynical part of me want them to do that and hope that Boris Johnson is the next PM so as to pick up the pieces

Ouch u harsh oo

And the masses will ultimately suffer for the mistakes of the ignorant.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 5:53pm On Jun 25, 2016
OlowoB:

I will advise you to apply for your visa latest last week of August because August and September are months many students will be applying.

Visa application normally takes 15 working days to process. So by maybe the 3rd week of September you would have gotten your visa and move to Uk for your enrolment.

As for maintenance, I will suggest you have the money in your account latest last week of July. Some schools may decide to see your bank statement showing maintenance fees before issuing you your CAS. If that is the case, by the third week of August, yiur 28 days would have been complete and you would just send the scanned copy to the school and then they would issue you your CAS.

With your CAS, you would then complete your online application and chose date for interview (last week of August) and then register with TLS.
Wow, thanks smiley
Now I understand clearly.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ocheejemb: 8:03pm On Jun 25, 2016
"You can combine 10yrs of studying within the UK to qualify for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) but now you can't as HomeOffice has effectively closed that route."

This route is still open as far as I know. You do need to be progressing in your education i.e. you can't do two BScs
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ocheejemb: 8:06pm On Jun 25, 2016
chucksbadt:

Thanks for response bro.....really appreciate.

Concerning the job, it's a career job i have always been longing for; IT Network Engineer. And it's a very big firm, I'll be managing over a 100 systems within the company and and about 50 in some other states.

As i stated before, i worked as an Intern in this same company(same department sef) for 10 months on minimum wage. All this while, there was a vacancy in that department for about 7 months now and i always being trying to apply. Eventually just a month ago, i gave up because everything look futile. That's when i got my MSc admission.

On the nut shell, everyone is telling me to take it, not just because of the salary, but because of the documented work experience it will gimme.

Defer your Masters and do the job. You will increase your chances of getting a job in the UK if you have work experience. Especially in this field
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:09pm On Jun 25, 2016
ocheejemb:
"You can combine 10yrs of studying within the UK to qualify for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) but now you can't as HomeOffice has effectively closed that route."

This route is still open as far as I know. You do need to be progressing in your education i.e. you can't do two BScs

Give me the combination
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 8:59pm On Jun 25, 2016
ocheejemb:

I was also about saying it is not possible but then i remembered that it is possible to actually do 4 years BSC, and do masters twice (still possible if the second masters is a different field and one can justify that it is of benefit or progress to the individual) and then do PHD (4 years). My brother, 10 years don complete be that o.

OR

4 years BSC, 1 year masters, 4 years PHD and then apply for the extra 1 year you are entitled to as a PHD holder (10 years don complete)

OR

Also, it is possible to do 4 years BSC, apply for graduate entrepreneurship visa (1 year) and then do masters (1 year) and then do PHD (4 years).

OR

Go through college, 2 years HND (must be an embedded college to apply within the UK) , 2 years University, 1 year Masters or even do 16 months Masters grin, 4 years PHD and another 1 years guaranteed after PHD. My brother, levels go still set grin

Mehn, the above scenario is crazy. What people do to become citizens, people back home don't just understand. I would rather move to another country than do all this long parol.
Imagine how much one would have spent on fees, visa renewals and IHS surcharge and no more established presence (9 months maintenance fees again) for every application o.

But no be everybody get strength to do PHD, na where the problem dey be that. or some won't just have enough funds to go this route. grin

It is well grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 9:33pm On Jun 25, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Wow, thanks smiley
Now I understand clearly.

Please i forgot to also add, if you are paying your fees using Form A, give room for at least 2 -3 weeks. Some schools would also like to confirm payment (at least 50%) before issuing CAS.

Remember to add the number of weeks to your planning. All the best.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ocheejemb: 11:59pm On Jun 25, 2016
OlowoB:

I was also about saying it is not possible but then i remembered that it is possible to actually do 4 years BSC, and do masters twice (still possible if the second masters is a different field and one can justify that it is of benefit or progress to the individual) and then do PHD (4 years). My brother, 10 years don complete be that o.

OR

4 years BSC, 1 year masters, 4 years PHD and then apply for the extra 1 year you are entitled to as a PHD holder (10 years don complete)

OR

Also, it is possible to do 4 years BSC, apply for graduate entrepreneurship visa (1 year) and then do masters (1 year) and then do PHD (4 years).

OR

Go through college, 2 years HND (must be an embedded college to apply within the UK) , 2 years University, 1 year Masters or even do 16 months Masters grin, 4 years PHD and another 1 years guaranteed after PHD. My brother, levels go still set grin

Mehn, the above scenario is crazy. What people do to become citizens, people back home don't just understand. I would rather move to another country than do all this long parol.
Imagine how much one would have spent on fees, visa renewals and IHS surcharge and no more established presence (9 months maintenance fees again) for every application o.

But no be everybody get strength to do PHD, na where the problem dey be that. or some won't just have enough funds to go this route. grin

It is well grin

Thanks OlowoB

Cc @justwise. It is crazy but yeah, here it is. It would be crazy for anyone to plan to do this just to stay but it is possible
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ocheejemb: 12:02am On Jun 26, 2016
justwise:

Smuggling people into the Uk? How now?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Whatamidoinghere(m): 12:36am On Jun 26, 2016
OlowoB:

Please i forgot to also add, if you are paying your fees using Form A, give room for at least 2 -3 weeks. Some schools would also like to confirm payment (at least 50%) before issuing CAS.

Remember to add the number of weeks to your planning. All the best.
give room for at least 2 -3 weeks. Some schools would also like to confirm payment (at least 50%) before issuing CAS.

Remember to add the number of weeks to your planning.

I don't get you, please explain well.
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:11am On Jun 26, 2016
ocheejemb:

Thanks OlowoB

Cc @justwise. It is crazy but yeah, here it is. It would be crazy for anyone to plan to do this just to stay but it is possible

That combination will not work because there a cap on number of years one can stay in the UK on Tie 4 visa.

Even at that..for you to study from degree to PhD you need at least £100,000 to achieve that
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:15am On Jun 26, 2016
ocheejemb:

Smuggling people into the Uk? How now?

How do you think illegal immigrants get into the UK? All seasides in the UK are smuggler's route with boat. Do a google search and enjoy yourself with latest news on that.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ocheejemb: 8:12am On Jun 26, 2016
I assumed they mostly overstayed thier visas. Hard to believe that the waterways are that porous. The UK is the most surveilled country in the world

justwise:

How do you think illegal immigrants get into the UK? All seasides in the UK are smuggler's route with boat. Do a google search and enjoy yourself with latest news on that.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ocheejemb: 8:17am On Jun 26, 2016
justwise:

That combination will not work because there a cap on number of years one can stay in the UK on Tie 4 visa.

Even at that..for you to study from degree to PhD you need at least £100,000 to achieve that

Indeed,
It is a ridiculous route if the only intention of it is to get an ILR. But it is possible. I have a (rich) Chinese friend who did his foundation, BSc, MSc, and PhD in the UK. He was able to get an ILR in his final year.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 9:39am On Jun 26, 2016
As far as I know, there is no cap that will prevent a student that wants to go that route of tier 4 to achieve ILR so far there is academic progression (I am open to be corrected on this)

What the home office states is that you cannot spend more than 2 years studying below Uk bachelors degree.

Some students may get full funded scholarship for PHD (my brother was fully funded for his PHD and he was even given monthly stipends).

Many Nigerians in time past, used this route very well to get ILR. Just that now, it has become more difficult to get jobs and survive as a student in the present UK.

But why do all this wahala when Canada Dey there? With 2 years masters in Canada, you may get extra 2 years and then..... The person find other routes.....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:06am On Jun 26, 2016
ocheejemb:

Indeed,
It is a ridiculous route if the only intention of it is to get an ILR. But it is possible. I have a (rich) Chinese friend who did his foundation, BSc, MSc, and PhD in the UK. He was able to get an ILR in his final year.

Which year was that?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:11am On Jun 26, 2016
ocheejemb:

I assumed they mostly overstayed thier visas. Hard to believe that the waterways are that porous. The UK is the most surveilled country in the world

So you think, but that is not entirely true

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36407685

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/18/how-illegal-immigrants-enter-the-uk/
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by OlowoB(m): 10:21am On Jun 26, 2016
To all students who are having trouble because of the fluctuating exchange rate, i think this explains it clearly.

The home office website states that "if you are using overseas currency, we will expect you to show (in writing on your application form) the closing balance in pounds sterling. We use the official exchange rate on the OANDA website. Where your funds are in a currency other than pounds sterling, the amount we consider will be based on the exchange rate for the relevant currency on the date of your application, taken from the rates published on www.oanda.com" source; www.gov.uk (Pages 44&45)

What this means is that the exchange rate that will be used by the home office for the maintenance funds you put in your account for 28 days is the rate as at the date you made the application. Please note that the date of application is the date you made payment online. It is the rate on that particular date that will be used irrespective of if the rate increases before the date of interview.

I think this should give students an idea of what they should work towards.

(1) (2) (3) ... (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.