Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:57 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (180) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (809616 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by subcbouy: 4:52pm On Oct 03, 2019
ocheejemb:
I am a prophet!
I read post-study visa is back.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by omidan21: 8:06pm On Oct 09, 2019
Hello all. I AM SORRY i am posting this here, it might be the wrong thread but since a lot of us here are resident due to studing, i might be lucky to see an opinion that will help go a long way
Haven't heard of a case like this before . My friend arrived Nigeria from UK 2nd of September and submitted her full application for masters in social work 9th of September priority service paid for that matter.

9th of October is almost here which will make it one mnth since the status has been on 3/6 and she hasnt been notified to come pick up hwr passport at TLS IKeja and no collection mail either. She has called the UK home office five times now and they kept saying decsion has been made since 13th September.So where is her passport. Her school called last week to say she can't meet up again registration is closed etc.

.Now she needs the passport asap so she can return to UK to restrategize.

.she is currently a dependent on her husband tier 4 visa and that expires in November ending..But now that they ve held her passport for so long now how does she even go back to the UK to finalize her home coming with her hubby if it will even eventually lead to that.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ubigurl: 9:14pm On Oct 18, 2019
Preye21:
Please what is the possibility of staying back in the UK after a nursing program
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by subcbouy: 10:18pm On Oct 18, 2019
[quote author=ubigurl post=83260438][/quote] The market is open again to exploit. It only requires deligent and rightful information as quick as possible from any reliable source, remember, no sleep walking nor sleep talking. Take action!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Tobexin(m): 1:31am On Oct 22, 2019
Nice thread!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Nov 22, 2019
werepeLeri:
Was on fully paid for scholarship - so had no probs with the above. But it could be hell for self sponsored students bros.

Part time jobs may be hard these days - when full graduates are even out there unemployed

hmmm - unless you stay in the school hostel, else no accommodation is cheap

that one is the easiest na. - so many calling cards out there.
How did you get the scholarship
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Metucity: 3:41pm On Nov 24, 2019
subcbouy:
yes oo UK hopefuls, go pack your bags, because dem politicians have no plans for you

Please how do you mean? Can you explain please?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by subcbouy: 5:12pm On Nov 24, 2019
Metucity:

Please how do you mean? Can you explain please?
hehehe Old things have past away. You now have post-study visa.

Actually, at the time of writing that comment, no post-study visa . It is now clear a bit but still advise Canada though.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Orofun1: 6:14pm On Dec 09, 2019
Nairaland is great for that...it can be of tremendous help
Zoey1:
You all should invite your friends, for real this thread could be of immense help if we devote time to it, connecting people to jobs etc
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by waynee2baba: 2:45pm On Dec 10, 2019
Anyone at/going to the University of West London?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Metucity: 7:21am On Dec 13, 2019
subcbouy:
hehehe Old things have past away. You now have post-study visa.

Actually, at the time of writing that comment, no post-study visa . It is now clear a bit but still advise Canada though.

Let's hope they keep to their word because they can be very dynamic. (So I heard). I also read somewhere that one should also have a plan b before coming to the UK just incase they change their immigration rules, the statement wasn't clear enough. Can someone explain this please? What are the alternative ways one can retain his stay after studies just incase he's not able to get a job before the visa expires?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by subcbouy: 9:01am On Dec 13, 2019
Metucity:

Let's hope they keep to their word because they can be very dynamic. (So I heard). I also read somewhere that one should also have a plan b before coming to the UK just in case they change their immigration rules, the statement wasn't clear enough. Can someone explain this, please? What are the alternative ways one can retain his stay after studies just in case he's not able to get a job before the visa expires?
Frankly speaking, I have read the said immigration adjustment but still not convinced that it can make one stay except you are lucky enough to get sponsored by the company. It seems to me that tier 5 is only like an internship thereafter you return back to your country.

If you enter the UK before the change of immigration policy, the said policy will not affect you, and I don't think the policy can change soon.

I would advise you to start applying early, don't restrict to a particular industry and put your ears down for information, and search jobs from available job site and company's domain.

Plan B, if you have enough money to invest, you can change to graduate entrepreneurs after finishing your studies. Another route can come from marriage.
You can also try to get US visa, Canada visa, Australia visa as your hands can reach before you finish, at least 6-7 months to the expiration of your visa
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:03am On Dec 13, 2019
Metucity:

Let's hope they keep to their word because they can be very dynamic. (So I heard). I also read somewhere that one should also have a plan b before coming to the UK just incase they change their immigration rules, the statement wasn't clear enough. Can someone explain this please? What are the alternative ways one can retain his stay after studies just incase he's not able to get a job before the visa expires?

Truth is that getting a stable job in UK is just as difficult for home grown graduates and many have had to push for Masters degree to boost their chances.
What I will advise for Nigerians who come here to study is to get as much UK work experience as possible. There is nothing as valuable as that.
Even if it's means taking voluntary jobs while studying, it boosts your experience and will stand you in goodstead when you're packaging your cv.
It may also be worthwhile to take interest in the NHS. Jobs like support worker and social worker are more guaranteed than office jobs.
NHS is UK's biggest asset and will always generate jobs.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by umarwy(m): 11:21am On Dec 13, 2019
subcbouy:
Frankly speaking, I have read the said immigration adjustment but still not convinced that it can make one stay except you are lucky enough to get sponsored by company. It seems to me that tier 5 is only like internship thereafter you return back to your country.

If you enter UK before change of immigration policy, the said policy will not affect you, and I don't think the policy can change soon.

I would advise you start applying early, don't restrict to a particular industry and put your ears down for information and search jobs from available job site and company's domain.

Plan B, if you have enough money to invest, you can change to graduate entrepreneur after finishing your studies. Other route can come from marriage.
You can also try get US visa, Canada visa, Australia visa as your hands can reach before you finish, atleast 6-7 months to expiration of your visa

Graduate entrepreneurship route has closed and is replaced by start up visa
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by subcbouy: 4:04am On Dec 14, 2019
umarwy:

Graduate entrepreneurship route has closed and is replaced by start up visa
Thanks for bringing it to my notice.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by subcbouy: 4:14am On Dec 14, 2019
Again, if you are less than 30 yrs of age, and you finished from UK, there is an Australian immigration program for you. I cannot remember subclass 4.. under Australian immigration program. You can Google it out.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jamela(f): 2:19pm On Dec 20, 2019
Hi Justwise and good fellows in the house,

I am currently on my Doctorate Extension Scheme visa after completion of my PhD. The following is a summary of my situation.

Summary:
Point 1: I'm currently enroute a comfortable 6 years in UK continuous residence and hope to make the 10 year ILR.
Point 2: I have spent 5 of this 6 continuous years studying without breaks. the 6th current year is on a Doctoral extension scheme (1 year visa) expiring next year.
Point 3: I now need to earn 4 years more to qualify for the 10 year ILR.

However,
Point 4: The UK has an 8 year maximum study cap. As I have also held a previous (since expired) tier 4 visa on a masters course for 17 months (i.e the standard 1 year 5 months visa), it doesn't count towards continuous residence now. This is because I went back to Nigeria after I completed it and spent more than 180 days there before returning to the UK to study again. Even so, this study period is still counted by the UK Home Office as 1 year 5 months used towards the 8 year study cap.

Therefore,
Point 5: My total study period in the UK so far adds up to 6 years 5 months, which leaves me with 19 months (1year 7 months) left to use on the 8 year study cap. (But remember point 3 above)

At Present:
I learnt about the return of the Post study work scheme, though it isn't yet in effect, I heard it would only be valid for those graduating from 2021 onwards.

My Intention:
I plan to leave the UK after my DES expires next year for 6 months and return in less than 180 days to start the MBA. (This gives me 6 months of continuous residency even though I wouldn't be present in the UK for that time as long as I return within 180 days).

After the MBA programme:
6months (outside UK) + 18 months (MBA) = 2 years
Post study work visa = 2 years
This adds up to the 4 years that I need to qualify for ILR.

Questions:
Will the new PostStudyWork visas start automatically after 2021 Masters completion, or these would have to be applied for?
Is it possible for me to apply for an 18 month MBA course, even though I now have a PhD?
Does anyone know any UK universities that offer 18 month MBA programmes that begin in March/April 2021?

Would there be any issues with my current situation and intentions above?
Other suggestions are welcome.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by umarwy(m): 2:23pm On Dec 20, 2019
jamela:

I am currently on my Doctorate Extension Scheme visa after completion of my PhD. The following is a summary of my situation.

Summary:
Point 1: I'm currently enroute a comfortable 6 years in UK continuous residence and hope to make the 10 year ILR.
Point 2: I have spent 5 of this 6 continuous years studying without breaks. the 6th current year is on a Doctoral extension scheme (1 year visa) expiring next year.

However,
Point 4: The UK has an 8 year maximum study cap. As I have also held a previous (since expired) tier 4 visa on a masters course for 17 months (i.e the standard 1 year 5 months visa), it doesn't count towards continuous residence now. This is because I went back to Nigeria after I completed it and spent more than 180 days there before returning to the UK to study again. Even so, this study period is still counted by the UK Home Office as 1 year 5 months used towards the 8 year study cap.

Therefore,
Point 5: My total study period in the UK so far adds up to 6 years 5 months, which leaves me with 19 months (1year 7 months) left to use on the 8 year study cap. (But remember point 3 above)

At Present:
I learnt about the return of the Post study work scheme, though it isn't yet in effect, I heard it would only be valid for those graduating from 2021 onwards.

My Intention:
I plan to leave the UK after my DES expires next year for 6 months and return in less than 180 days to start the MBA. (This gives me 6 months of continuous residency even though I wouldn't be present in the UK for that time as long as I return within 180 days).

After the MBA programme:

Questions:
Will the new PostStudyWork visas start automatically after 2021 Masters completion, or these would have to be applied for?
Is it possible for me to apply for an 18 month MBA course, even though I now have a PhD?
Does anyone know any UK universities that offer 18 month MBA programmes that begin in March/April 2021?

I will suggest you look into applying for a start up visa or an exceptional talent visa.
Another option is to apply for a research positions as well.

My two cents
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jamela(f): 2:29pm On Dec 20, 2019
umarwy:

I will suggest you look into applying for a start up visa or an exceptional talent visa.
Another option is to apply for a research positions as well.

My two cents
Thanks, I am currently in a research position but even that is just for the duration of my DES. Now people have suggested to keep trying for a Tier 2, but we know how that can be, and after what happened to a friend of mine that lost her job on a Tier 2 visa, I don't want the uncertainty associated with it. I haven't really looked too much into the requirements for start up visa, but I heard its only for 2 years. I need 4. I am also currently learning about the exceptional talent visa and that may eventually be what I go for, but I heard (and i may be wrong here) that it works better for those already on Tier 1, 2 or 5? Thats why I want to also investigate this PSW route.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by umarwy(m): 4:46pm On Dec 20, 2019
jamela:

Thanks, I am currently in a research position but even that is just for the duration of my DES. Now people have suggested to keep trying for a Tier 2, but we know how that can be, and after what happened to a friend of mine that lost her job on a Tier 2 visa, I don't want the uncertainty associated with it. I haven't really looked too much into the requirements for start up visa, but I heard its only for 2 years. I need 4. I am also currently learning about the exceptional talent visa and that may eventually be what I go for[b],but I heard (and i may be wrong here) that it works better for those already on Tier 1, 2 or 5[/b]? Thats why I want to also investigate this PSW route.

Them say them say @ bolded. I know a person that applied for exceptional talent straight from naija. And he used the music/arts route.

But just choose what is best for you sha.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LaaJiblik: 5:02pm On Dec 20, 2019
jamela:

Thanks, I am currently in a research position but even that is just for the duration of my DES. Now people have suggested to keep trying for a Tier 2, but we know how that can be, and after what happened to a friend of mine that lost her job on a Tier 2 visa, I don't want the uncertainty associated with it. I haven't really looked too much into the requirements for start up visa, but I heard its only for 2 years. I need 4. I am also currently learning about the exceptional talent visa and that may eventually be what I go for, but I heard (and i may be wrong here) that it works better for those already on Tier 1, 2 or 5? Thats why I want to also investigate this PSW route.

May I ask please;
What’s your PhD in, please.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by esterella: 5:55pm On Dec 20, 2019
jamela:

If you dont mind, can you share what happens in a scenario where one losses a job while on Tier 2 so we probably can learn a thing or two. I would have thought a Tier 2 visa should be one of your viable options for consideration in this case.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jamela(f): 9:17pm On Dec 20, 2019
esterella:

If you dont mind, can you share what happens in a scenario where one losses a job while on Tier 2 so we probably can learn a thing or two. I would have thought a Tier 2 visa should be one of your viable options for consideration in this case.
I just know, you have to find another Tier 2 job quickly or risk returning to your home country if you can't switch or you do not already qualify for ILR on the Tier2 route or any other route.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by esterella: 2:11am On Dec 21, 2019
jamela:

I just know, you have to find another Tier 2 job quickly or risk returning to your home country if you can't switch or you do not already qualify for ILR on the Tier2 route or any other route.

Ok. I get it. It sure calls for careful scrutiny then. Just that with Brexit almost certain to kick in by January 31st, some immigration laws may still be tweaked before the end of 2020 as the UK will have just 11 months till December 2020 to finally exit the EU.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LaaJiblik: 6:13pm On Dec 21, 2019
jamela:

I suggest you post your question to:
https://www.nairaland.com/4158866/living-uk-life-uk-immigrant/250#85093256

You are likely going to have more suggestions there.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jamela(f): 5:41pm On Dec 22, 2019
LaaJiblik:

I suggest you post your question to:
https://www.nairaland.com/4158866/living-uk-life-uk-immigrant/250#85093256

You are likely going to have more suggestions there.
Thanks I'll do that.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by James150: 12:15pm On Dec 26, 2019
please I have a couple of questions.

1. Please can a freshly graduate of college of nursing school November or December 2019
Get to the UK and get a job 2020
2. Can you work and complete your bsn nursing in one year
3. Can you go to the UK to do the 1 year nursing rn to bsc on campus and be working as a nurse.

In summary please I want to go to the UK to obtain my bsn nursing in 1 year and still be working and save some money somehow while doing it....I dont just dont want to go to the UK and do bsn nursing and come back like that i have a sponsor to the UK and even for the bsn nursing course.
My target is to obtain my bsn nursing in the UK in one 1 and be working while doing it to save some money too of my own...because the bsn nursing will make me eligible for the four 4 years MD(MBBS) course in Philippines....
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Scholar212(m): 4:38pm On Dec 27, 2019
James150:

1. Please can a freshly graduate of college of nursing school November or December 2019
3. Can you go to the UK to do the 1 year nursing rn to bsc on campus and be working as a nurse.

In summary please I want to go to the UK to obtain my bsn nursing in 1 year and still be working and save some money somehow while doing it....I dont just dont want to go to the UK and do bsn nursing and come back like that i have a sponsor to the UK and even for the bsn nursing course.
My target is to obtain my bsn nursing in the UK in one 1 and be working while doing it to save some money too of my own...because the bsn nursing will make me eligible for the four 4 years MD(MBBS) course in Philippines....
I think this thread will give you s better insight https://www.nairaland.com/5268048/adventures-uk-bound-nurse
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by subcbouy: 6:08pm On Dec 27, 2019
jamela:

Summary:

However,

Therefore,

At Present:

My Intention:

After the MBA programme:

Questions:

You profile status fit tier 1 exceptional talent. I would advise you read up this route also over other routes you may be considered.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by subcbouy: 6:12pm On Dec 27, 2019
James150:

Nurses are required. This is one area UK government has declared emergency.
1. Get the job from Nigeria before flying over.
Dont get entackled, apply from home country.
2. For Beginner, you will have like 3 or 4 yrs. But for advance, one yr is normal.
3. I guess you mean top-up. Search for schools that offer you top-up. It is possible but you should know that your 40 hrs per WK can get it rolling. Search for domain of any NHS of any city of choice or apply through agency recruiting for this NHS. Goodluck

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (177) (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) ... (213) (Reply)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.