Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,468 members, 7,781,363 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:10 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (805778 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by shemy: 2:23pm On Jun 06, 2012
Apart from eating, I will be going to Egham by September. Can anyone in the house advise on where to buy Africa foods. Also , what are the essential things to pack along thanksto reduce expenses over there, i will be staying in a self catered accomodation on the campus.Going to UK for the first time, also advice on clothing is needed.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ebykings(f): 6:02pm On Jun 11, 2012
Hello house, Am new on dis tread, Pls wot is d first step for someone who want to pursue a degree in Uk. Pls help First step to pursue a degree in d UK? Best school & affordable school? Mr Justwise pls help!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:27pm On Jun 11, 2012
ebykings: Hello house, Am new on dis tread, Pls wot is d first step for someone who want to pursue a degree in Uk. Pls help First step to pursue a degree in d UK? Best school & affordable school? Mr Justwise pls help!

How much will you regard as affordable?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ebykings(f): 9:41am On Jun 12, 2012
I Dont even knw d rates dats why am asking.
justwise:

How much will you regard as affordable?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:49am On Jun 12, 2012
ebykings: I Dont even knw d rates dats why am asking.

For a degree course you will be thinking from £9000 up + maintenance money of £7200(outside London) or £9000(London)
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ebykings(f): 11:00am On Jun 12, 2012
justwise:

For a degree course you will be thinking from £9000 up + maintenance money of £7200(outside London) or £9000(London)

Ok Thanks soo much I appreciate
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by hok4u(f): 1:18pm On Jun 12, 2012
@ justwise can u reccomend any low cost university for me in the uk precisely in london for a post graduate diploma in economics and probably d cost,please am counting on u
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 1:23pm On Jun 12, 2012
hok4u: @ justwise can u reccomend any low cost university for me in the uk precisely in london for a post graduate diploma in economics and probably d cost,please am counting on u

How much will you regard as low cost?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Skywalker5(m): 2:10pm On Jun 12, 2012
hok4u: @ justwise can u reccomend any low cost university for me in the uk precisely in london for a post graduate diploma in economics and probably d cost,please am counting on u

why would you want to study in london when you are looking for a low cost?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kpolli(m): 3:51pm On Jun 12, 2012
Sky-walker:

why would you want to study in london when you are looking for a low cost?

I wonder ooo, expensive city n harder to get a job in
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 11:04am On Jun 18, 2012
Is this thread dead?
No post for about a week? embarassed embarassed embarassed
Some of us dey follow this thread now.
Make una no fall pesin hand O!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 11:32am On Jun 18, 2012
Can anyone in the system [UK} give me the 411 on the above places viz a viz student life
1] Newcastle
2] Liverpool
3] London[ been reading some comments about this city from the thread already, seems it quite an expensive place for students]
4] Oxfordshire
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by hok4u(f): 12:35pm On Jun 18, 2012
@ JUSTWISE,MAY B LESS THAN 1 MILLION PER ANNUM
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Skywalker5(m): 12:52pm On Jun 18, 2012
ochukoccna: Can anyone in the system [UK} give me the 411 on the above places viz a viz student life
1] Newcastle
2] Liverpool
3] London[ been reading some comments about this city from the thread already, seems it quite an expensive place for students]
4] Oxfordshire
Thanks

Dont know about those places.but if you looking for a city which is not too expensive to stay,i would stay Portsmouth. i studied there and i still stay there.its cheaper to live than london and you can get some part time jobs to survive here easily than London.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ebykings(f): 3:25pm On Jun 18, 2012
Sky-walker:

Dont know about those places.but if you looking for a city which is not too expensive to stay,i would stay Portsmouth. i studied there and i still stay there.its cheaper to live than london and you can get some part time jobs to survive here easily than London.

is dat place close to London?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 3:31pm On Jun 18, 2012
Sky-walker:

Lived in Portsmouth for a while but i wouldn't call it a cheap place. Though its a nice city.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 3:32pm On Jun 18, 2012
ebykings:

is dat place close to London?

Its, is about 1hr 30mins by train or coach, sometimes longer depends on the traffic.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:06pm On Jun 18, 2012
hok4u: @ JUSTWISE,MAY B LESS THAN 1 MILLION PER ANNUM

Post-graduate will cost you from 2million up for fees alone, maintenance money not included. Not only in London but any city in the UK.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ebykings(f): 4:41pm On Jun 18, 2012
justwise:

Its, is about 1hr 30mins by train or coach, sometimes longer depends on the traffic.
Dats very gud and ok. thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 6:18pm On Jun 18, 2012
ochukoccna: Can anyone in the system [UK} give me the 411 on the above places viz a viz student life
1] Newcastle
2] Liverpool
4] Oxfordshire
Thanks

I still dey wait O!

Sky-walker:

Thanks for the input sky-walker yet I believe one should balance cheap living with a top rate education
No offense jedi knight cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:25pm On Jun 18, 2012
ochukoccna:

I still dey wait O!

Thanks for the input sky-walker yet I believe one should balance cheap living with a top rate education

Top rated as in 10 or 20?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Skywalker5(m): 8:03pm On Jun 18, 2012
ochukoccna:

I still dey wait O!

Thanks for the input sky-walker yet I believe one should balance cheap living with a[b] top rate education[/b]

You have the university of Portsmouth there unless you looking for oxford university
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 11:33pm On Jun 18, 2012
Modified.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 11:35pm On Jun 18, 2012
Please any Nairalander in Sheffield? I would like to know more about the following;

* Student life
* Accommodation
* Student jobs
* ..... and so on

Thank you.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 5:37pm On Jun 19, 2012
justwise:

Top rated as in 10 or 20?
Not like Oxford, Cambridge etal O!
Though nothing bad in aiming for 'em [na 1 headed humans like us dey there na] only that entry & admission requirements, fees etc will be something else
Yet there's no biggie aiming for the top 20-30/40 in your chosen field of study cool cool cool cool
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:16pm On Jun 19, 2012
ochukoccna:
Not like Oxford, Cambridge etal O!
Though nothing bad in aiming for 'em [na 1 headed humans like us dey there na] only that entry & admission requirements, fees etc will be something else
Yet there's no biggie aiming for the top 20-30/40 in your chosen field of study cool cool cool cool

Newcastle is within that range.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 9:04pm On Jun 19, 2012
1] Newcastle
2] Liverpool
4] Oxfordshire
Thanks

1) Newcastle; cool city, reasonably priced flats , especially if you rent a whole house with friends and share the bills, in areas where student population is high, the prices are a bit steep, the social life is decent very affordable night outs, cool calm town, just dont get drunk too often. Trains to London are expensive so you must book well in advance!

2) Liverpool; Me na kno!

3) London; You already know, you're most likely to get carried away chasing paper here. If you wanna study in London, you need to settle down quickly and focus!

4) Oxford; Large student population with 2 universities and several colleges, things are surprisingly expensive, Accommodation can be pretty expensive, cos most decent one are close to universities, the rest you will need to get buses, but its very cycle friendly smiley Neat city, very vibrant social scene loads of studenty things to do, it would help if you don't restrict yourself to only Nigerian crowd to enjoy the city; as there just a growing nigerian/african population hence very little activities targeted at them. Coach to London is cheap and frequent
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 10:21pm On Jun 19, 2012
justwise:

Newcastle is within that range.

Yep!
Also London [Queen mary] and Liverpool [but them dey form embarassed embarassed]are in that range.

@ Dis Guy, will comment on yours too.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lighternote: 10:41pm On Jun 20, 2012
Please any Nairalander in Leeds? I would
like to know more about the following;
* Student life
* Accommodation
* Student jobs
*how good is Leeds University in terms of employer ratings?
* ..... and so on
Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (213) (Reply)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.