Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,704 members, 7,802,095 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:07 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (100) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (808827 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:35am On Oct 15, 2014
cao:

You should try braiding your hair. When I lived in Plymouth, there were only 2 salons that dealt with African hair, one of them was an oyinbo surfer themed salon, where the only woman who knew how to handle African hair turned up twice a week, then proceeded to tell me it would cost me £20 per hour. My hair is natural. I left that place real quick.

lol that's expensive
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mrbavs: 11:23am On Oct 15, 2014
milychocs:

I did not go after all,
Did you?
sad
Hope you did

@milychocs yes i did attend,though i was there for last 40 minutes of the program.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 11:29am On Oct 15, 2014
Olisedinma:
Morning all, pls I will like to know how best to get a cheap accommodation upon arrival before scouting for a permanent place as a friend at last minute messed up my housing arrangement even when he knows I depart tomorrow. How's the student life at salford,the living cost and possible part time employment for Msc students
Thanks.
Justwise,anyone waiting.

your best bet will be the low budget hotels- you should be scouting for accommodation from Nigeria! school is in session already, so you'll be scrapping the bottom of the barrel now...salford has a lot of new development coming up, lots of investment and the schools had a massive drive to attract students, cost of living is fair..but as with student town theres a premium to some services though still cheaper than the capital...you'll be competiting with thousands of others students for part time jobs esp thouse that arrived earlier
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Olisedinma: 1:16pm On Oct 15, 2014
@Disguy: I know,i deferred for october,as classes starts Nov 3rd.
Is is compulsory for one to hold cash as I don't want to be hassled by our Yeye immigration dudes at d airport.
DisGuy:

your best bet will be the low budget hotels- you should be scouting for accommodation from Nigeria! school is in session already, so you'll be scrapping the bottom of the barrel now...salford has a lot of new development coming up, lots of investment and the schools had a massive drive to attract students, cost of living is fair..but as with student town theres a premium to some services though still cheaper than the capital...you'll be competiting with thousands of others students for part time jobs esp thouse that arrived earlier
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 1:43pm On Oct 15, 2014
Olisedinma:
@Disguy: I know,i deferred for october,as classes starts Nov 3rd.
Is is compulsory for one to hold cash as I don't want to be hassled by our Yeye immigration dudes at d airport.

Hold minimum cash for your own use, you have no business with nigerian immigration, your papers are legit...they are only there to check papers not beg for money
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Oct 15, 2014
Hey Guys i have a question i will be leaving UK for Nigeria this week, however i intend to return for my graduation which is by mid-december and i want to invite my parents for graduation, my question is how do i go about it?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Oct 15, 2014
cao:

You should try braiding your hair. When I lived in Plymouth, there were only 2 salons that dealt with African hair, one of them was an oyinbo surfer themed salon, where the only woman who knew how to handle African hair turned up twice a week, then proceeded to tell me it would cost me £20 per hour. My hair is natural. I left that place real quick.

per hour ?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by cao(f): 12:19am On Oct 16, 2014
adaobi123:

per hour ?

Yup. Told her no problem, never went there again...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingsilly(m): 9:58am On Oct 16, 2014
cao:

Yup. Told her no problem, never went there again...
My sister barb LOW CUT angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by cao(f): 11:39am On Oct 16, 2014
kingsilly:

I found another salon, which actually belonged to a Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 12:23am On Oct 17, 2014
kingsilly:

grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dfavouredone: 4:31pm On Oct 18, 2014
GeneralShepherd alizenbohr

Bros, i don land cranfield today 18th.

I am at Mitchell hotel, Room 1.

I bring your indomie and medicine and aboliki.

Abeg show my side or tell me which hotel you dey.

I neva get sim card to use call.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 1:19pm On Oct 19, 2014
Dfavouredone:

grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sunvick(m): 1:50pm On Oct 19, 2014
Hello

Please is there any NL who needs accommodation that is schooling around Chester, Warrington or nearby environs. I have a 2bedflat and i want to share the other one. pls reply me if interested or u know somone who might be interested feel free to rply me n i will provide further details.

thanks.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 4:51am On Oct 20, 2014
Dfavouredone:

This post is dedicated to you and alizenbohr. You guys are wonderful. Thank you nairaland, I met real friends from here. Funny enough, I and alizenbohr attended the same uni in Naija

SpikesC wad up hommie?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 5:05pm On Oct 20, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

This post is dedicated to you and alizenbohr. You guys are wonderful. Take you nairaland, I met real friends from here. Funny enough, I and alizenbohr attended the same uni in Naija

SpikesC wad up hommie?

Am fine man, hope you guys are settling well.

Errmmm, na the hungry man pack i go like. Make i send u my address make you post am naah grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Dfavouredone: 6:13pm On Oct 20, 2014
GeneralShepherd:

This post is dedicated to you and alizenbohr. You guys are wonderful. Take you nairaland, I met real friends from here. Funny enough, I and alizenbohr attended the same uni in Naija

SpikesC wad up hommie?

You rock and smart.

Thanks for making my settling down and initial direction lots more easier.

Still many millions miles to go.....
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by GeneralShepherd(m): 6:25pm On Oct 20, 2014
A thought came to my head today as I was pondering what I learnt in school today about Fick's law. Adolph Fick proposed two laws in 1855 that guide mass transfer,one for steady state transfer and the other for transient transfer.

He then went on to relate his laws to Ohm's law and heat transfer. By this relation he explained that current is simply an electron flux and heat is likewise a thermal energy flux.

The relevance of this jargon in the first two paragraphs, is not clear yet. But what if I told you that Adolph Fick was a medical doctor? You would expect someone that came up with these laws and subsequent relationships to be either a physicist or an engineer. Alas he is a doctor. Funny enough this law is still applied in 2014, almost 159 years later to design complex engineering materials.

Moral of the story,
i. follow your passion and dreams.

ii. It is not too late to do what you really love.

iii.It is not too late to learn anything.

iv. You are more likely to stay committed to your dreams if you are passionate about it

And I leave you with a quote from Albert Einstein.

“I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious.”

― Albert Einstein

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chiichii2010: 5:28pm On Oct 21, 2014
Plz at justwise I want to send my I'd card to nigeria,please do you know how I will do that for it to be cheaper cos I went to the post office thy said thy global express n global priority which cost 79pounds for 150g item.please I don't know if there are other way I could still send it.am in uni of bedfordshire
Secondly,i want to get a laptop n I ve been to argos,but thy don't seem to ve variety.can u recommend me anoda place.thanks for your help.am looking for laptop within the price of 250 to 270pounds just for school work.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 5:51pm On Oct 21, 2014
Chiichii2010:
Plz at justwise I want to send my I'd card to nigeria,please do you know how I will do that for it to be cheaper cos I went to the post office thy said thy global express n global priority which cost 79pounds for 150g item.please I don't know if there are other way I could still send it.am in uni of bedfordshire
Secondly,i want to get a laptop n I ve been to argos,but thy don't seem to ve variety.can u recommend me anoda place.thanks for your help.am looking for laptop within the price of 250 to 270pounds just for school work.

I really don't know any other means apart from post office, I will ask friends and get back to you.

You can try Ebay or Amazon for laptop, you will have more than enough varieties there to choose from and within your budget as well. Just register with Ebay and PayPal and start shopping.

If you need part time student job from your uni check their twitter page for job listings. They have some good part time jobs there thst will fit your study structure and within the university as well.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chiichii2010: 5:57pm On Oct 21, 2014
@justwise thanks for the help am grateful.waiting for ur other response. Tanx
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:07pm On Oct 21, 2014
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by smakati(m): 9:08pm On Oct 21, 2014
sunvick:

The appartment is in Warrington city center, 27mins train from Warrington Bank Quay to Chester. 15mins walk from Chester train station to Main campus or 5mins(even less) £4 taxi to campus.
£75ppw, £300pcm * 6months standard contract =£1800
Are undergrad or post grad?
ma email:jonathan@datasiem.co.uk for more details.
Sorry thats too far. Am at the parkgate campus. Currently staying at a bb where I pay £17 per day, bleeding cash terribly. I need something with a ch1 postcode.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by smakati(m): 9:28pm On Oct 21, 2014
What I have learnt so far and tips for newbies:

- one of the first things you must do is to head to primark and get appropriate clothing. Get a jacket, warmer abi na skull cap, gloves, scarf. All the cloth u brought from Nigeria is useless, maybe except ur underwear.
-Always plan ahead for trips involving trains and coaches. Its cheaper buying tickets online days before you travel. Spent owo omogo taking virgin train from london to chester and back. Plus impromptu visits to friends in london. Wasted cash. From now onwards, I will only visit people if they give me two weeks notice so I can buy ticket beforehand. If dey dont inform me on time, then they will have to pay for it.
- travel coach for long distances. A coach is the equivalent of ekenedillichukwu in nigeria, but much safer and smartly run. Its very cheap. Spent £40 pounds on a train trip from london to chester, A coach trip costs £28, £14 if u book early. The train is faster but where the hell re u rushing too anyway.
- if u re a hustler, ur priority must be getting any accomodation. Because sans accommodation is sans bank account is sans national insurance number is sans job, savvy?
- if u ve not left nigeria now, pls bring food wen coming, if u re allowed 2 bags of 25kg each , pls dedicate 1 bag to nigerian food, I beg u, dont say I did not tell u o. Dere food here is nonsense. Bought fish and chips this morning, d idiot poured vinegar on it ( vinegar o, imagine eating dundun with vinegar) had to throw it away, bought chicken kebab, d tin no even resemble chicken to start with. Threw that one away too, so invariably the only tini have eaten is the food I eat in a friends place on saturday.
- make friends quick, dose oyinbo ppl mo bose nlo, dey re students too so dey can giv u budgeting tips. After all dey re playing home while u re away, savvy?
More later

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 4:43am On Oct 22, 2014
Chiichii2010:

Just look around or ask fellow Nigerians. October is a prime time for Nigerians to travel, before the Xmas rush.
You will find someone to take it to Nigeria for you. And your recipient, would arrange onward pickup in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:07am On Oct 22, 2014
Chiichii2010:
@justwise thanks for the help am grateful.waiting for ur other response. Tanx

A friend suggested DHL and FedEx, have you tried them?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 12:47pm On Oct 22, 2014
smakati:
What I have learnt so far and tips for newbies:

- one of the first things you must do is to head to primark and get appropriate clothing. Get a jacket, warmer abi na skull cap, gloves, scarf. All the cloth u brought from Nigeria is useless, maybe except ur underwear.
-Always plan ahead for trips involving trains and coaches. Its cheaper buying tickets online days before you travel. Spent owo omogo taking virgin train from london to chester and back. Plus impromptu visits to friends in london. Wasted cash. From now onwards, I will only visit people if they give me two weeks notice so I can buy ticket beforehand. If dey dont inform me on time, then they will have to pay for it.
- travel coach for long distances. A coach is the equivalent of ekenedillichukwu in nigeria, but much safer and smartly run. Its very cheap. Spent £40 pounds on a train trip from london to chester, A coach trip costs £28, £14 if u book early. The train is faster but where the hell re u rushing too anyway.
- if u re a hustler, ur priority must be getting any accomodation. Because sans accommodation is sans bank account is sans national insurance number is sans job, savvy?
- if u ve not left nigeria now, pls bring food wen coming, if u re allowed 2 bags of 25kg each , pls dedicate 1 bag to nigerian food, I beg u, dont say I did not tell u o. Dere food here is nonsense. Bought fish and chips this morning, d idiot poured vinegar on it ( vinegar o, imagine eating dundun with vinegar) had to throw it away, bought chicken kebab, d tin no even resemble chicken to start with. Threw that one away too, so invariably the only tini have eaten is the food I eat in a friends place on saturday.
- make friends quick, dose oyinbo ppl mo bose nlo, dey re students too so dey can giv u budgeting tips. After all dey re playing home while u re away, savvy?
More later

Buy student rail card it will give you 30% discount anytime you buy a rail ticket, the card last for a year.

Don't wait for food from naija, buy food from African shops or some Asian shops sells African food ingredients.

Don't buy chicken from super markets, buy from Asian butchers because they don't have expiring date or treated with any foreign agent.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chiichii2010: 4:25pm On Oct 22, 2014
Lexusgs430:

Just look around or ask fellow Nigerians. October is a prime time for Nigerians to travel, before the Xmas rush.
You will find someone to take it to Nigeria for you. And your recipient, would arrange onward pickup in Nigeria.
Tanx,am grateful
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Chiichii2010: 4:26pm On Oct 22, 2014
justwise:

Buy student rail card it will give you 30% discount anytime you buy a rail ticket, the card last for a year.

Don't wait for food from naija, buy food from African shops or some Asian shops sells African food ingredients.

Don't buy chicken from super markets, buy from Asian butchers because they don't have expiring date or treated with any foreign agent.
@justwise we don't. Ve Asian butchers in luton
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lexusgs430: 4:40pm On Oct 22, 2014
Chiichii2010:

Tanx,am grateful

If only we were in the same town, I know @ least 15 people departing within 20 days or so.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 4:48pm On Oct 22, 2014
Chiichii2010:

@justwise we don't. Ve Asian butchers in luton

There are plenty of them in bury park and inside Luton Shopping Mall. There are plenty Shops that sales African food ingredients in Market inside shopping Mall as well.

Another place to buy 100% Nigerian food ingredients is in high town road. There is a Nigerian shop called Abam foods. LU2 0DD, number 63.
High town road is at the back of train station. Walk through the train station-out to high town road.

If you want to eat Nigerian food then head to Victorian kitchen not far from Abam as well.

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (213) (Reply)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 5 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.