Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,703 members, 7,802,095 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:05 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (532868 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 2:30pm On May 17, 2012
mercylicious: Dear all,
I applied for trv and study permit for Sept. My admission letter has 3 start dates -May, Sept and Jan, but i†̥ must bε̲̣ in d first week of lectures. I intend to go for Jan admission due to f fact dt ill get my study leave by Nov but I applied for Sept cos most of my friends dt left hardly got visa d session they aPplied due to delay in processing.

Currently, I noticed the processing τ̅im̶̲̥̅̊ƨ has greatly improved . if my visa application is granted for Sept, can I leave by Jan bearing in mind that my admission offer has a̶̲̥̅̊ start date in Jan or d̶̲̥̅̊o I go and retrieve my application? If trv is issued, does i†̥ carry latest date of entry ? heard d study permit is issued at the point of entry, will this arrangement affect d issuance of study permit? Plz reply as am co fused .

On your visa, there will be a deadline at which you have to be out or the visa will be expired, if i am not mistaken.
If the date is good till January, then, you are good, else, you will have to forfeit and re-apply for the January resumption date.
I will advice you call the Visa office and speak to someone there . . . Good luck

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by fflowers: 8:21am On May 18, 2012
H
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by tman02: 12:03pm On May 20, 2012
@ifegy, can my salary as a studnt also workin, pay my skul fee? Pls help wif d answer
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 9:19pm On May 20, 2012
tman02: @ifegy, can my salary as a studnt also workin, pay my skul fee? Pls help wif d answer

As an international student, your fees are very high. You can only work a limited number of hours during the school year, although you can work full time during the summer. However, remember you have to first find a job. When you do find a job, the money you earn on its own will not be enough to cover your fees. Remember you may also be working to cover your accommodation, feeding, transportation, clothing and other daily needs. Note that many Canadian students have to take out loans to cover their fees, even though their fees are much lower and they have more opportunities to work during the year. International students cannot take out loans, however. Therefore I would advise that you save as much as possible before arrival and don't plan on relying on working while studying to pay your fees.

Having said that, one thing I should point out, based on my experience: I started off working for my university part time and eventually got a full time position and took courses on the side, and the university then paid a major portion of my fees. This is not a very common scenario but may be worth investigating, to see if it is possible at the institution you intend to attend.

I know the money issue is not easy, and I wish you all the best as you tackle it. God bless!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by oshonuru: 11:20pm On May 20, 2012
Hi friends, I hold a Highger National Diploma and a National Diploma both in Electrical Engineering from the Kwara state Polytechnic in Nigeria. Finished NYSC 2011.
I hold these CERTIFICATE courses from MARITIME ACADEMY, Oron in Nigeria:
1.Elementary First Aid certificate 2. Personal safety and Social Responsiblities certificate 3.Personal Survival Techniques certificate and 4. Fire prevention and Fire Fighting certificate
I possess a Seamans Record book and Certificate of Discharge.
I attended a Quality, Health, Safety and Environmental Competence Development course (QHSE)Level 3of 3 and also Graduate Certificate in Management from the Nigerian Institute of Management.
Its been so difficult seeking employment for like 3 years now, i have done all manner of jobs to just survive.
So i think the best is for me to upgrade my skill in canada as its been difficult getting a Job.
I am 25 years of age and would like to study Marine engineering or Nautical sciences in Canada, or any course suggestions too.
Is admission still open for July/September?
Thanks
osho10q@yahoo.com
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by tman02: 3:44am On May 21, 2012
Tnx so much ifegy, GOD wil bless u. But wat can i do to be paying my school fees?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 4:19am On May 21, 2012
tman02: Tnx so much ifegy, GOD wil bless u. But wat can i do to be paying my school fees?

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer. Here are some thoughts.

1) There is a thread someone recently created on nairaland detailing scholarship opportunities for African students. I haven't gone through all the links so I don't know if any Canadian schools are mentioned there. You can have a look through:
https://www.nairaland.com/904161/links-scholarships-post-doc-job-opportunities

2) I am assuming you are intending to do an undergraduate degree in Canada. Have you considered that it may be possible to do one for much less cost in Europe? Off the top of my head, I know that places like Germany, the Netherlands, France, some Scandinavian countries seem to have pretty low fees, compared to Canada. You might want to do some research on that for more info. I bring this up because you could do an undergrad in Europe and then come over to Canada for a graduate degree. At the graduate level, you are somewhat more likely to have financial support from a Canadian school as a foreign student, than at the undergrad level.

3) If you do decide to come to Canada, you should do a lot of research around how to raise money and how to cut down costs ahead of time, such as:

a) find out what the total cost (tuition, feeding, etc) for a year is likely to be, and then plan accordingly. Save as much as you can before coming; see if anyone you know is willing to assist; etc. I believe you will have to demonstrate financial ability to the Canadian High Commission in order to be granted a visa in the first place.

b)Contact the office for international students at your school before you come, as they can give you information geared towards helping international students settle in, such as info re on/off campus accommodation (pick the cheaper option), jobs (where to look, when to apply, how to get a work permit, what pay to expect, how to get your resume up to Canadian standards/expectations), whether there are any grants, scholarships or bursaries for international students, etc.

c) You can also check on places like craigslist and kijiji for info on accommodation and student jobs to get some idea as to what is available and compare costs for housing and expected pay on student jobs, so as to get ideas for your budget. As you look, you need to bear in mind the limitations placed on international students with regards to work (e.g., you can only work a certain number of hours during the week), and the fact that pay is generally quoted gross, not net of tax.

d) Remember that there may be grants and financial awards geared towards students in your particular major (i.e., area of study), most times based on your academic performance during the year, regardless of whether or not you are an international student.

e) Plan to shop cheaply as a student for clothes (note- wearing 2nd hand clothing is not a crime), food (note- Nigerian food is generally more expensive), etc. Use google to check out cheaper shopping options in the area around your school. For instance, if you are coming to Toronto,there are places like No Frills grocery store, for cheap groceries; Value village for 2nd hand clothes, etc. One thing to note is that in a grocery store, the store brand for a product is almost always less expensive than the brand. So if there are several types of, say, olive oil, on a shelf in a no frills, I would suggest look for the no frills brand and compare the price to others on the shelf.You can even check to see if the area you'll be going to has food banks where you can get free food if you're on a low income (no shame, you're a student). I would suggest avoiding convenience stores for food, as they are more expensive (you pay for the 'convenience' factor).

f) With regards to feeding, the general rule is that it's cheaper to cook for yourself than to buy prepared food. Also, if you are going to be out during the day, for instance, attending classes, you'll save a lot of money if you make your own lunches (eg a sandwich and some fruit) instead of buying food from campus outlets. I would suggest cooking for a week or couple of weeks and storing in a fridge.

g)If you are using public transit (which you should), do the math to make sure you are spending as cheaply as possible. For instance, if you live on campus and are not going to be using transit a lot, it may not make sense to get a monthly pass (+/- $100 for students in Toronto). If you live off campus and need to transit to school, then a monthly pass makes sense.

I know this is a lot of info to take in, but hopefully some of it is useful. The key thing is to do lots of research and a ton of planning way ahead of time. All the best.

16 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ebugirl: 10:10am On May 21, 2012
@ifegy: thanks 4 the info. How can the ladies make their hair @ a cheap rate?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by tman02: 11:26am On May 21, 2012
Ifegy i wil like 2 add u on fbk cos i stil want to ask some questins. So u can pls giv me ur email so as to add u
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 7:22pm On May 21, 2012
^^^ Wonder why people do this
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 8:27pm On May 21, 2012
ebugirl: @ifegy: thanks 4 the info. How can the ladies make their hair @ a cheap rate?

Well, you can try different things. For instance, if you relax it, you could do the perm in a salon (to be on the safe side) and then in between perms care for it at home. If you want to do braids or a weave, you can probably bring your hair from home when you're coming, and ask girls that you see around where they do their hair, and go to someone who does hair at home, as that would be cheaper. Some girls just go natural and twist their hair themselves, cos it's cheaper and healthier. Or if you can make hair, you can offer to swap skills with someone else who can do the same for you.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 8:29pm On May 21, 2012
tman02: Ifegy i wil like 2 add u on fbk cos i stil want to ask some questins. So u can pls giv me ur email so as to add u

I think you should be able to get my email from my profile. If not, let me know yours and I can contact you.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ebugirl: 9:23am On May 22, 2012
@ifegy: thank Ɣõu̶̲̥̅̊ so much

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by fflowers: 10:04am On May 22, 2012
@Ebugirl, ma dear that ur Question is on point. That really worries me. Hair should really b least of ma financial worries ΐϞ Canada, but u see, our kinky hair had made it so lol. Anyway, my sis advised me to buy wigs that are very lovely, like human hair @ ballogun. I heard itss like 12K each. I'll probbably buy like 3 of it. Mooreso, I'm thinking of going natural. Its working for my siss ΐϞ the states. Once ΐϞ a blue purple pink moon, I can plait my hair lol ! U shld add mee on FB dear!

@ifegy, I just sent u a mail dear, pls reply. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rockafela(m): 10:10am On May 22, 2012
.....hhhmmmm
@phemmy do u know where we can Kemp our hair? i mean cute barber with style u know the way naija boy hair style de be now...no dulling abeg i need one smart babrber shop too.

not only the ladies go de look for where to make their gorgeous hair. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy @ifegy, fflowers and ebugirl
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rockafela(m): 10:46am On May 22, 2012
egin88 u be confirmed mumu
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 1:29pm On May 22, 2012
oshonuru: Hi friends, I hold a Highger National Diploma and a National Diploma both in Electrical Engineering from the Kwara state Polytechnic in Nigeria. Finished NYSC 2011.
I hold these CERTIFICATE courses from MARITIME ACADEMY, Oron in Nigeria:
1.Elementary First Aid certificate 2. Personal safety and Social Responsiblities certificate 3.Personal Survival Techniques certificate and 4. Fire prevention and Fire Fighting certificate
I possess a Seamans Record book and Certificate of Discharge.
I attended a Quality, Health, Safety and Environmental Competence Development course (QHSE)Level 3of 3 and also Graduate Certificate in Management from the Nigerian Institute of Management.
Its been so difficult seeking employment for like 3 years now, i have done all manner of jobs to just survive.
So i think the best is for me to upgrade my skill in canada as its been difficult getting a Job.
I am 25 years of age and would like to study Marine engineering or Nautical sciences in Canada, or any course suggestions too.
Is admission still open for July/September?
Thanks
osho10q@yahoo.com

You should check to see if it isn't too late to apply for September now. I would suggest applying for next September instead, so you won't rush your application. Find the schools you want to attend, look at their requirements, start getting your documents ready and take it from there. Do you have any schools in mind or do you need help with looking up schools?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 2:28pm On May 22, 2012
rockafela: .....hhhmmmm
@phemmy do u know where we can Kemp our hair? i mean cute barber with style u know the way naija boy hair style de be now...no dulling abeg i need one smart babrber shop too.

not only the ladies go de look for where to make their gorgeous hair. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy @ifegy, fflowers and ebugirl

Lol . . . Are you a student on Student Visa and what town/Province are you at?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rockafela(m): 5:15pm On May 22, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Lol . . . Are you a student on Student Visa and what town/Province are you at?

@Fhemmy am an expectant applicant ooo
Hoping and believing God...waiting for medical. U of R, Regina, Saskatchewan
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bamshy: 5:59pm On May 22, 2012
Fhemmmy abandoned us on the other thread. Please come celebrate with us there. Plenty of good news as a result of your sage inputs and God'ss blessings. Check the other thread Bros!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 6:10pm On May 22, 2012
rockafela:

@Fhemmy am an expectant applicant ooo
Hoping and believing God...waiting for medical. U of R, Regina, Saskatchewan

I will advice you to learn how to cut your own hair well before you leave Nigeria, cos that is another way for a student to save money . . . nice haircut in a reliable barbing shop is 14-20$ depending on the service and if you wanna look good every week, that is 80$ a month, a year is almost 1000$$ if it worth it for a student?

But if you could cut yourself and even cut for others, you might even be able to make some money on the side and no tax too . . . tongue
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 6:11pm On May 22, 2012
bamshy: Fhemmmy abandoned us on the other thread. Please come celebrate with us there. Plenty of good news as a result of your sage inputs and God'ss blessings. Check the other thread Bros!

I was there today and to you too, Congrats, Pal
See you in Canada and i beg bring me some UAC gala from Niegria, that is what i am missing . . . . grin
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bamshy: 9:55pm On May 22, 2012
Yes oooo Egbon! Plus wara and kunu wink When is the latest time you would suggest for arrival for someone whose classes starts September and hopes to search for accommodation near school on arrival?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 2:05am On May 23, 2012
fflowers:

@ifegy, I just sent u a mail dear, pls reply. Thanks

Just sent you a reply ....
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 2:06am On May 23, 2012
rockafela: .....hhhmmmm

smiley wink
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rockafela(m): 1:29pm On May 23, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I will advice you to learn how to cut your own hair well before you leave Nigeria, cos that is another way for a student to save money . . . nice haircut in a reliable barbing shop is 14-20$ depending on the service and if you wanna look good every week, that is 80$ a month, a year is almost 1000$$ if it worth it for a student?

But if you could cut yourself and even cut for others, you might even be able to make some money on the side and no tax too . . . tongue

for only hair i will carry the hair like dat, or better i will change d format to oldschool pattern...use my pepper for other better stuff
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 2:39pm On May 23, 2012
bamshy: Yes oooo Egbon! Plus wara and kunu wink When is the latest time you would suggest for arrival for someone whose classes starts September and hopes to search for accommodation near school on arrival?

I will advice you are around early, if you could be around for summer - If you could be around by end of July or Early August, that will give you the opportunity to get better accomodation cos most people will not be around till end of August and by them smart students would have taken all the nice and cheap homes.
Landlords wanna rent fast and get security too.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by emmanuelson20: 5:58pm On May 23, 2012
Hello every1, dis section is really informative. GOD BLESS U ALL AMEN.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by lifestyle1(m): 8:10pm On May 23, 2012
rockafela:

for only hair i will carry the hair like dat, or better i will change d format to oldschool pattern...use my pepper for other better stuff

YOU think Say na 9ja were you dey cut hair for 150 ($1) grin cheesy grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.