Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,756 members, 7,806,072 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:02 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (50) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (533174 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Royat1(m): 2:04pm On Aug 14, 2016
Laido:

I'm planning to make my way to canada somedays. After my First degree. But the thing is I don't want to study immediately I get there. Wanna work first, Full time work. Don't mind any type of work. Tho would later study after making some money. Is it really possible ?
Its not possible @ all. You want to go for a study visa,then drop out of school and start working your name will be given to CIC and they declare you as an illegal immigrant ,once dey catch u ,naija straight .

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Laido: 2:32pm On Aug 14, 2016
Royat1:

Its not possible @ all. You want to go for a study visa,then drop out of school and start working your name will be given to CIC and they declare you as an illegal immigrant ,once dey catch u ,naija straight .

Not a study visa hommie. Just probably don't know how to put it cuz I don't know much bou travelling yet. I'd love to go as a permanent resident, Is it possible?? My aim is to be working there and getting paid.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Royat1(m): 3:57pm On Aug 14, 2016
Laido:

Not a study visa hommie. Just probably don't know how to put it cuz I don't know much bou travelling yet. I'd love to go as a permanent resident, Is it possible?? My aim is to be working there and getting paid.
They don't just give PR like that. You must some special and rare skills ,what's your level of education ? Work experience ,age ,English language proficiency ,Cgpa among others.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Laido: 6:20pm On Aug 14, 2016
Royat1:

They don't just give PR like that. You must some special and rare skills ,what's your level of education ? Work experience ,age ,English language proficiency ,Cgpa among others.

I belive too that it may nt be that easy but if its possible, I will get the Vis by God's grace. That's just ma wish hommie. I'm about gettin thru with my first degree. My Cgpa is quite okay, 2nd class upper! I haven't done my Eng Proffy, but would do that when am about starting the Process bro. I just wanna get off this country and wanna spend at least 10yrs b4 thinking of visiting back .. Lol
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Royat1(m): 8:55pm On Aug 14, 2016
Laido:

I belive too that it may nt be that easy but if its possible, I will get the Vis by God's grace. That's just ma wish hommie. I'm about gettin thru with my first degree. My Cgpa is quite okay, 2nd class upper! I haven't done my Eng Proffy, but would do that when am about starting the Process bro. I just wanna get off this country and wanna spend at least 10yrs b4 thinking of visiting back .. Lol
But you don't have work experience? Go for masters at the end of your bsc ,that's d only way
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by cuteannie02: 9:44pm On Aug 14, 2016
Hello good people
Please must my sponsor for study permit be a family member?, I have a sponsor who is only a friend, what do you advice please?
Secondly, please how do you convert ur cgpa points to Canadian GPA standard?
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 11:19pm On Aug 14, 2016
Laido:

Sup bro. How are you doing? Plz wanna ask this, R you currently in Canada?

Yes, i am
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Laido: 6:25am On Aug 15, 2016
Royat1:

But you don't have work experience? Go for masters at the end of your bsc ,that's d only way

Okay, U mean I should go for my masters in CAN right ?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Royat1(m): 7:19am On Aug 15, 2016
Laido:

Okay, U mean I should go for my masters in CAN right ?
Yes bro . after your bsc program.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Omonjoe(m): 12:19pm On Aug 15, 2016
Your eligibility for admission into masters is mainly a function of your first degree result and partly your work experience. PGD does not qualify for you for masters. Its not even evaluated. PGD is just to make you employable in the Canadian labour market
browndegreat:
Good evening all, I have a first degree in elect/elect with 2.2 I intend doing a PGD in project management at conestoga college to make up for my 2.2. I want to do my masters in elect/elect after the PGD. Please will I be accepted to do the masters after the PGD

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Laido: 12:57pm On Aug 15, 2016
Royat1:

Yes bro . after your bsc program.

Thanks bro . I'd wish it be like that too. But cash is what am considerin. My sponsorer just wanna get me there, I'm all for myself when I get there. Like how much do you think Msc. Would cost? I'm currently studyin Plant breeding and seed Technology in an Agric Uni here in funaab. Enlight me more bro, Which uni could be offering such course over there and what r their fees range?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Royat1(m): 10:12am On Aug 16, 2016
Laido:

Thanks bro . I'd wish it be like that too. But cash is what am considerin. My sponsorer just wanna get me there, I'm all for myself when I get there. Like how much do you think Msc. Would cost? I'm currently studyin Plant breeding and seed Technology in an Agric Uni here in funaab. Enlight me more bro, Which uni could be offering such course over there and what r their fees range?
I don't know bro. You will have to make research .about something , that's related to your bsc program for MSC. Something, I know about canny visa is that ,once your bsc program is related with your MSC ,you make your application more simple to understand .for MSC 2.1 is necessary

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by browndegreat: 2:51pm On Aug 16, 2016
Omonjoe:
Your eligibility for admission into masters is mainly a function of your first degree result and partly your work experience. PGD does not qualify for you for masters. Its not even evaluated. PGD is just to make you employable in the Canadian labour market

With my 2.2 first degree result do I stand a chance of getting an admission into a master's degree?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Royat1(m): 9:02am On Aug 17, 2016
browndegreat:

With my 2.2 first degree result do I stand a chance of getting an admission into a master's degree?
That might be a little bit tough. Most MSC students that gained admission for MSC finished with 2.1 ,but I think its possible ,depends on your actual Cgpa ,work experience too ,you might look at university of Ottawa, make your research bro
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by browndegreat: 9:51am On Aug 17, 2016
Royat1:

That might be a little bit tough. Most MSC students that gained admission for MSC finished with 2.1 ,but I think its possible ,depends on your actual Cgpa ,work experience too ,you might look at university of Ottawa, make your research bro

Is there no platform to make up for the cgpa b4 the masters
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Royat1(m): 10:35am On Aug 17, 2016
browndegreat:

Is there no platform to make up for the cgpa b4 the masters
Yeah. PGD or PGC
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by browndegreat: 2:35pm On Aug 17, 2016
Omonjoe:

Royat1:

Yeah. PGD or PGC

I'm so confused right now
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Mideymi: 2:47pm On Aug 19, 2016
Hello, anyone heading to University of Regina to resume for Fall...Sept 2016. Please inbox me.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by VEIL1234: 12:40pm On Aug 20, 2016
Hello All,

Please can someone help out with advise on cheap student accommodation at USask? for someone heading this fall.

I also need info on cheap flights from Lagos to Saskatoon

Surviving tips too. Please help a fellow Nlander. God bless you all!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by VEIL1234: 1:39pm On Aug 20, 2016
@ Ifegy sorry to ask what school did yo attend
ifegy:

As an international student, your fees are very high. You can only work a limited number of hours during the school year, although you can work full time during the summer. However, remember you have to first find a job. When you do find a job, the money you earn on its own will not be enough to cover your fees. Remember you may also be working to cover your accommodation, feeding, transportation, clothing and other daily needs. Note that many Canadian students have to take out loans to cover their fees, even though their fees are much lower and they have more opportunities to work during the year. International students cannot take out loans, however. Therefore I would advise that you save as much as possible before arrival and don't plan on relying on working while studying to pay your fees.

Having said that, one thing I should point out, based on my experience: I started off working for my university part time and eventually got a full time position and took courses on the side, and the university then paid a major portion of my fees. This is not a very common scenario but may be worth investigating, to see if it is possible at the institution you intend to attend.

I know the money issue is not easy, and I wish you all the best as you tackle it. God bless!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Ymc007(f): 7:15pm On Aug 24, 2016
Please is there anyone currently in Halifax or Dalhousie University that can help me with accommodation??
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by chaiks: 7:27am On Aug 25, 2016
@bostin, tnks for your contributions to ds thread . Mentioned one should check Europe for full funding. Please can one still get that even if it's tuition waiver in Denmark with a cgpa of 4.49?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:08am On Aug 25, 2016
browndegreat:

I'm so confused right now
In Canada, pgdip or pgcert does not qualify for admission into masters. Nothing confusing about that. Some uni offer pre masters(check uni of manitoba).
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by hayqinsbFX: 3:16pm On Aug 25, 2016
Is there anybody in London close to fanshawe college who knows about any vacant accommodation available by September...
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Aug 27, 2016
you can check fanashawe's off campus site for accommodation and contact the landlords https://offcampushousing.fanshawec.ca/
or you can check for accommodation on kijiji.com. That is how I got a place to rent.

hayqinsbFX:
Is there anybody in London close to fanshawe college who knows about any vacant accommodation available by September...
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by debris: 8:17am On Aug 30, 2016
Royat1:

In Usa is it strict like that also?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bayocanny: 11:24am On Aug 30, 2016
debris:

Hmm, I can't give a definite answer to that because different strokes for different folks, it is not advisable to fall out of status in both countries but if there's a WILL there is definately a WAY.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by spores99(m): 1:33pm On Aug 30, 2016
hello house, please i need information about nigerian students in langara college vancouver, canada... i need plenty of information about the place. would really appreciate replies

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Royat1(m): 3:00pm On Aug 31, 2016
debris:

Lol..na USA worst pass for that case o .canny is more lenient when it comes to work

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by CassetteBoy(m): 11:30pm On Aug 31, 2016
Hi everyone,
just got in..

1. Bring your Nigerian driver's license. You'll convert it to the Canadian one and avoid some tests.
2. If you haven't got permanent accommodation prior to arriving and don't have a friend you'll be staying with. Pay/book for several days of temporary accommodation ahead. If you find a place within those days, you should be able to get a refund for the unused days from the hotel/hostel. I paid for three days and almost became homeless cos I hadn't found somewhere permanent when it elapsed. God just provided me an alternative that night and more.
3. Most foodstuff are here. Focus on clothes and necessary electronics.

I'll update more things as I remember..

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 4:27am On Sep 01, 2016
CassetteBoy:
Hi everyone,
just got in..

1. Bring your Nigerian driver's license. You'll convert it to the Canadian one and avoid some tests.
2. If you haven't got permanent accommodation prior to arriving and don't have a friend you'll be staying with. Pay/book for several days of temporary accommodation ahead. If you find a place within those days, you should be able to get a refund for the unused days from the hotel/hostel. I paid for three days and almost became homeless cos I hadn't found somewhere permanent when it elapsed. God just provided me an alternative that night and more.
3. Most foodstuff are here. Focus on clothes and necessary electronics.

I'll update more things as I remember..
Aspa the driver's license: If it's not an original driver's licence, a fine as high as $700 could be issued with court appearance+ban. There are lots of fakes circulating in Nigeria, hence anyone bringing a Nigeria driver's licence should make sure it's an original one i.e you were captured at the FRSC biodata capture centre, and it is a genuine issue by frsc. The authorities here have a machine that detects fakes easily and they share information with FRSC.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:28am On Sep 01, 2016
Hello please my sponsor is my elder brother, he's a registered nurse in canada and hs closing balance is 50,000 CAD. Please I hope there wont be a problem

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.