Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,368 members, 7,800,740 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:07 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (532810 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Beehandz(m): 12:11pm On Apr 24, 2012
Also,I have 10M I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ M̶̲̥̅y sponsor's account + anoda 700k. Is dz ok for cdhc to grant M̶̲̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ a visa?NB.its all oda documents are complete. Land worth 25M as asset is also inclusive wit documents
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 1:56pm On Apr 24, 2012
Beehandz: Also,I have 10M I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ M̶̲̥̅y sponsor's account + anoda 700k. Is dz ok for cdhc to grant M̶̲̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ a visa?NB.its all oda documents are complete. Land worth 25M as asset is also inclusive wit documents

All depends on what kinda visa you looking for . . .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 1:57pm On Apr 24, 2012
Beehandz: @phemmy,Hi bros,saw ur comments on NL on canadian thread.imy docs Я̲̅ at the embassy presently and I'm praying Τ̣̣ЂÀΤ̣̣ d outxome wil b positive.I'm goint to Vancouver island university I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ nainamo BC.pls wats d best accomodatn option,I've applied for student accomodatn-paid only applicatn fee bt wit wat I've read on NL,I tink a peer stay will b d best.is Ȋ̝̊̅† posible to get job outside sch on arrival or true Τ̣̣ЂÀΤ̣̣ its afta 6months Τ̣̣ЂÀΤ̣̣ U̶̲̥̅ can work outside campus as int'l student.also wats d accomodatn rate like I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ naiamo and environ-a treackable distance to VIU

What you will get depends on what you want and you can afford . . .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 5:55pm On Apr 24, 2012
@Fhemmmy,
How much do i need 2 show @ de point of entry? From what i saw Online, i should show 10,000 dollars.Do i have to go to canada with dat amount? Or should i go with 4,000 dollars,den put de remaining 6,000 dollars in 2 my us dollar visa card,since i have 1? Wat do u think?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 6:13pm On Apr 24, 2012
Paschal137: @Fhemmmy,
How much do i need 2 show @ de point of entry? From what i saw Online, i should show 10,000 dollars.Do i have to go to canada with dat amount? Or should i go with 4,000 dollars,den put de remaining 6,000 dollars in 2 my us dollar visa card,since i have 1? Wat do u think?

I will advice you to come in with less Cash as possible, anything is possible . . . Also, if you come in with 4000$$ cash, they will go thru and count and i think that will be a waste of your time.

However, you are allowed to come in with Nothing more than 10,000$$ . . But does not mean you have to come in with that.

I will advice you only need what you would need on the way . . . Also, be sure that your visa will work in Canada, cos if all your money is on that card, and you are not able to access the funds, that could be rough.
Cheers
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 8:36pm On Apr 24, 2012
@Fhemmmy,
I use a GT us dollar visa card.From wat de bank told me,it should work in canada.I will try and use it in nigeria be4 i travel.The other question is dis,should i book my connecting flight from vancouver to kamloop now,or should i wait till i land in vancouver be4 i book my connecting flight to kamloop?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 8:57pm On Apr 24, 2012
I use a GT us dollar visa card.From wat de bank told me,it should work in canada.I will try and use it in nigeria be4 i travel.The other question is dis,should i book my connecting flight from vancouver to kamloop now,or should i wait till i land in vancouver be4 i book my connecting flight to kamloop?

I will advice you do all your bookings from Nigeria . . . However,if you are a man that loves to see scenery, i will advice you take a Bus from Toronto to Vancouver and you would be shocked with all you would see, and you would know that the Lord is good.
But if you wanna fly, i will advice you to make all your connecting flight from Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 9:05pm On Apr 24, 2012
@Fhemmmy,
Sorry bro,my flight is from lagos to vancouver,not toronto.I am not sure if i will land on time @ vancouver in order 2 meet up with my flight from vancouver 2 kamloop.So u now see my fear.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 9:22pm On Apr 24, 2012
Sorry bro,my flight is from lagos to vancouver,not toronto.I am not sure if i will land on time @ vancouver in order 2 meet up with my flight from vancouver 2 kamloop.So u now see my fear.

OK . . If that is the case, then, do a bus from there to Kamloop . . . Trust me, it is not like the Molue, you would enjoy it . . Lol

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Apr 24, 2012
Yo! Fhems, whaddya recommend for a Masters student with respect to accomodation? Do schools offer accomodation for graduate students or does one need to arrange his own before leaving? Failing that, can one stay in a hotel while sourcing for accomodation? And lastly, what can you say, based on experience - yours or others' - is the time interval between making an offer of interest on an apartment and moving in?
Arigato!
Oh, and how does one furnish his apartment? You know, where to go, what to buy. Bargains?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rapheal2k9: 1:09am On Apr 25, 2012
@Fhemmmy: How long will the study permit take @ the border cos i only have 1hour to catch my connecting flight. And do they actually count the money? Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 7:15am On Apr 25, 2012
@Rapheal2k9,
R u going in with 10,000 dollars? I also have the same problem here 2. But i want to put some of dat money in my visa card. Wat do u think?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmmy: 1:50pm On Apr 25, 2012
rapheal2k9: @Fhemmmy: How long will the study permit take @ the border cos i only have 1hour to catch my connecting flight. And do they actually count the money? Thanks

Checking and going thru your luggage and all that kinda stuff and for other people might be as long as 3 hours, and might be less . . One hour is not enough for you to go thru the customs and immigration.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rapheal2k9: 2:20pm On Apr 25, 2012
@Paschal137: The best thing is to put some of the money in your visa card accnt and hold the rest.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 3:28pm On Apr 25, 2012
rapheal2k9: @Paschal137: The best thing is to put some of the money in your visa card accnt and hold the rest.

Dont even need more than like 500$$ enroute to where he is going . . . When i am travelling, i dont hold more than 200$$ Cash . . . cos wont have to bribe at the Port in Canada . . Lol
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 6:01pm On Apr 25, 2012
@Fhemmmy,
I tried out my visa card 2day and it worked.I used it in booking my flight from vancouver 2 kamloop.I will get 2 kamloop by 7pm,hope i can get a place 2 stay dat evening?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 6:11pm On Apr 25, 2012
I tried out my visa card 2day and it worked.I used it in booking my flight from vancouver 2 kamloop.I will get 2 kamloop by 7pm,hope i can get a place 2 stay dat evening?

Hotel unlimited . . . Safe trip
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 6:14pm On Apr 25, 2012
@Fhemmmy,
Thanks bro!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rapheal2k9: 6:29pm On Apr 25, 2012
@Fhemmmy, Is the summer/spring semester mandatory for grad students? as a grad student will i be allowed to work full time during the summer/spring next yr
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 6:59pm On Apr 25, 2012
rapheal2k9: @Fhemmmy, Is the summer/spring semester mandatory for grad students? as a grad student will i be allowed to work full time during the summer/spring next yr

All depends on your visa, but working is not that easy with your kinda SIN . . . But again, anything is possible.
Summer is holiday and you dont have to be in school.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rapheal2k9: 6:24am On Apr 26, 2012
@Fhemmmy, im a bit confused cos i read that i can study part-time in the summer but i don't know if it applies to new students starting in the summer semester and also to get my off campus work permit i need to have studied full-time in d last 6 months. Does it mean i can only get my off campus work permit only after Fall or Winter semester? Pls, could u throw more light on this? Thanks a lot for your help, really appreciate it. i know i have been asking a lof of JJC questions..lol
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 2:00pm On Apr 26, 2012
rapheal2k9: @Fhemmmy, im a bit confused cos i read that i can study part-time in the summer but i don't know if it applies to new students starting in the summer semester and also to get my off campus work permit i need to have studied full-time in d last 6 months. Does it mean i can only get my off campus work permit only after Fall or Winter semester? Pls, could u throw more light on this? Thanks a lot for your help, really appreciate it. i know i have been asking a lof of JJC questions..lol

Chief . . No need to be confused, i thought your question was because you are trying to work in summer instead of being in school.
OK, you are free to study in Summer, as well as work, na your money you go pay now . .
You are able to get work off campus, but such work are limited.
Hope this helps?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by samdams: 11:31pm On Apr 26, 2012
Dear Nairlander's
i have small trouble with this Canada stuffs oooh...Presently i am in London studying and i will be through by next month and my visa will expire in sept, but i applied for 3 universities and a college in Canada..i got accepted into the college (Seneca college) and also university ( University of Prince Edward island) the other 2 universities are still yet to decide if they gonna take me or not, but here is what am confused about ..the medical thing do i need to go to my GP here in London for them to just write it and give ? do i need to pay the tuition fees before i can apply for the visa ? when is the best time for me to apply for the if i am to go ahead and choose one out of the 2 choices given to me ? and i will like anyone to help me ... Seneca college or Prince Edward university island which will you prefer ?
i am not sponsoring myself can i also include my own statement of account when applying for the visa ? is it okay as a new comer to stay off campus or in the campus since i dont know anyone ? which is more expensive for me to live ? can i pay 2 or 3 months accommodation in advance before i get there ?
Thanks i will need help ...make una help a brother here ooh

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Imoro: 1:47am On Apr 30, 2012
Hi all,

Has anyone tried (successfully)to transit thru the US for studies in canada?
How long did it take to process d visa and wat kind of dox are reqd to apply?

Just wieghing d options!

Tanx
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 2:23am On Apr 30, 2012
Imoro: Hi all,

Just wieghing d options!
Tanx

You need to give more information . . . Are you a refugee in America or a citizen, or a green card holder?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Imoro: 7:51am On Apr 30, 2012
Fhemmmy:

You need to give more information . . . Are you a refugee in America or a citizen, or a green card holder?

As a nigerian wiv a canadian study permit.....
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 1:44pm On Apr 30, 2012
Imoro:
As a nigerian wiv a canadian study permit.....

You are not clear at all . . .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 5:25pm On Apr 30, 2012
Imoro: Hi all,

Just wieghing d options!

Tanx

@ Inoro, I think what you mean is that you're travelling to Canada to study on a Nigerian passport and will be transiting through the US on your way to your final destination in the US. Is that the case? If so, have you checked the website of the US embassy in Nigeria for info? Also, have you had a look at both part 1 and 2 of the main travel to Canada thread in the travel section? They probably already cover this scenario.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Imoro: 10:58am On May 01, 2012
@ifegy - dts xactly wat I mean but the final destination is Canada...

I have chkd their website but frm wat I hear generally dy refuse visas a lot.
Just want to know if anyone has tried it n was successful.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 10:11pm On May 01, 2012
Imoro: @ifegy - dts xactly wat I mean but the final destination is Canada...

I have chkd their website but frm wat I hear generally dy refuse visas a lot.
Just want to know if anyone has tried it n was successful.

Sorry, I meant to type that your final destination was indeed Canada.
If you haven't already bought a ticket, have you considered searching for flights that transit through Europe (or perhaps even Dubai, etc) and then go directly to Canada?
Otherwise your best bet might be to follow the US visa conditions to the letter.
Also have a look at the other Canada travel threads where people may have already shared their experiences re this issue.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by monosetale: 10:06am On May 03, 2012
Good morning house, please i want to ask what i can do to help matters regarding my study permit visa app. i submitted my application since early February and my lectures are due to start may 7th i.e next week monday in toronto, i going for computer programming diploma,i already have a b.sc here in naija in physics i have served(n.y.s.c) paid my tuition fee in canada, submitted all the required documents via V.A.C office in lagos but i haven't gotten any word from the canadian embassy. please what do i do? thank in advance, i need as much contribution as possible. fhemmmy i need your advice as well. thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.