Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,667 members, 7,801,923 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:04 AM

Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? (6349 Views)

Is It Right For A Born Again Spirit Filled Christian To Work In These Places?? / Can A Born Again Give A Head During Sex? / Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by OmoPastor(m): 10:49pm On Feb 05, 2012
Is it possible for someone born again and full of the Holy Ghost participate in politics in this our country Nigeria or better put: can a pastor be a politician? I do not think so with the do or die attitude of politicians. How then can christians influence the polity in this country? Do we let the heathen run it and make decisions that hinder the spread of the gospel? What can we do?
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by Odunnu: 10:52pm On Feb 05, 2012
If the righteous shy away from leadership or political positions, it goes to the dogs and we will all suffer for their inactions. Its high time our churches, massalaccis raise Godfearing and righteous men who would literally turn this nation around for Good
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by crossman9(m): 11:06pm On Feb 05, 2012
Yes we need men of the living God in power to help the weak, this is highest calling to help the poor love the orphans and the widows we don’t need more get quick rich pastors and Politian’s we are sick of them across the world
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by Goshen360(m): 11:11pm On Feb 05, 2012
There is nothing wrong in Christians, pastor or not a pastor, to participate in politics. What is wrong is a Christian doing what politicians do. You can participate in politics without being corrupt like them. Remember, you are in the world but not of the world.
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by OmoPastor(m): 11:17pm On Feb 05, 2012
Has any of you guys above tried politics with your bible clutched under your arm pit in the grassroots?

1 Like

Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by God2man(m): 11:22pm On Feb 05, 2012
Nowadays, it is not advisable for any christian to go for any political office, it has become a do or die affair, infact, many of them can even kill to get to particular political office, the truth is that, if you know what all these politicians are doing just to get there, you will run.
As a christian, we do not belong here, this world is not our eternal home, so, why should we be fighting for it.
However, we cannot fold our hands and allow these people to destroy Nigeria. The church has to rise up with an invisible or secret decision of picking their own candidate that will be acceptable to all. This idea may not work. It depends on the way, churches go about it. God bless Nigeria. God2man.
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by OmoPastor(m): 11:38pm On Feb 05, 2012
The reason for this post is that I have seen an ordained pastor that went into politics with genuine intention but ended up snatching the ballot box on the day of election! He actually joined his party in rigging the election just for him to get a juicy post in the party.
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by Goshen360(m): 11:45pm On Feb 05, 2012
OmoPastor:

The reason for this post is that I have seen an ordained pastor that went into politics with genuine intention but ended up snatching the ballot box on the day of election! He actually joined his party in rigging the election just for him to get a juicy post in the party.

I personally do not like politics anyway. However, any child of God who can do it faithfully is not condemned in the word of God.
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by OmoPastor(m): 11:55pm On Feb 05, 2012
So how can one faithfully handle politics without getting stained?
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by Goshen360(m): 12:23am On Feb 06, 2012
I just said, I personally do not like politics anyway. Anyone who can do it without being stain as a christian should go on. The fact that the man you mentioned did that horrible thing doesn't mean others cannot do it successfully as a christian.
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by Joagbaje(m): 5:42am On Feb 06, 2012
goshen360:

There is nothing wrong in Christians, pastor or not a pastor, to participate in politics. What is wrong is a Christian doing what politicians do. You can participate in politics without being corrupt like them. Remember, you are in the world but not of the world.

I agree with you. So long as he can hold his christian value ,it will be a great thing.

Proverbs 29:2
When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice:but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.

1 Like

Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by numo86(m): 6:56am On Feb 06, 2012
i just want to ask 1 good question that we can all ponder on,

How many men of god can u train up to be half as effective as d apostles were or even half spiritual as Jesus was when he was on earth,
Jesus & his apostles even had genuine powers from God(Yahweh) to raise d dead,walk on water,cure d sick,calm stormy weathers but still did not involve themselves with d politics of there day, if these tight,faithful men shyed away & kept themselves clear off politics,who are we today as professed christians to think that if a God fearing man(i wonder who that mayb)rules then d affairs of things in nigeria will change??,
My problem is we'v been hearing for too long why a pastor shuld be in politics or why a true christian shuld be in politics,why dont actions speakelect a born again or a pastor & see d outcome, when Jesus told his disciples to be no part of this world in imitation of him,many mite think Jesus was drunk when he made those statements, SATAN rules d entire world & until christians get that straight into there heads they wuldnt be makin all these contemplations, have we not seen from d past what professed christians did wit politics in d past,
The roman catholics along wit its papacyd pope controlling d affairs of politics, have we forgotten how messed up it wasblood shed,cheating,scandals,fight for power,wars etc,
Or do we think these political rulers do things out of there own initiative??theres a spirit behind it all & the bible tells us what it is, oya wit out much Adoo let d born agains run into office & lets see d outcome, then they will know who realy rules d world,
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by OmoPastor(m): 7:36am On Feb 06, 2012
@ numo86
So cos the devil is the god of this world we should fold our hands while the unbels rule and make decisions that have adverse effects on our lives? I do not think this is right.
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by numo86(m): 9:19am On Feb 06, 2012
@omo pastor, that is why i have said let d born agains come out na & rule & lets see d outcome, abi them dey fear?,
Are they afraid of messing up like it has always been, the truth is we are not d 1st christians existin neither wuld we be d last,
I earlier said lets follow our master Jesus & his apostles, lets follow there foot steps, and ofcus d early christians preached,preached & preached becos they knew d world they lived in was temporary & becos they knew who was in complete charge of d political world, if christ who had all d muscle ran away from political posts who are we today to tink we can run political systems??, and literally speakin christ wuld have been in d best position to rule isreal since he was d promised king & messiah,but behold christ ran away,becos he knew what & who was rili behind it & becos he knew earthly kingdoms were and still is on d palms of satan d devil & that he(Jesus) will soon come to destroy all of these political systems,
, i'm jus imagining what Jesus will do to a christian who will be on a political sit when he comes to destroy all earthy governments & political system!, d reason why christians wana indulge in this system is becos they truly dont belive an end is imminent, if all christians knew d end of this satan ruled world will come in 2 weeks time,how many will wanna run for political posts,
A wise christian will follow Jesus's foot steps & stop leaning on his or her own opinion,
, tell me how a born again will wanna win elections from any part of d world witout rigging,cheating,bein sentimental,killing,implicating & maiming his opponent,joining ogboni or free mason,telling political lies etc,,,,
, just tell me where dat born again wan come from?,
Since you are a professed pastor u can as well start by runnin for presidency, lol,
Chris okotie claimed God sent him bt he lost out woefully durin d elections, look @ what politics has turned pastor bakare into,
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Feb 06, 2012
@ Poster,

If we ask the question: why would a Christian not want to be a politician in Nigeria? we may then be able to address your question.

But simply put YES a "born again" can be a politician in Nigeria

If you have ever been to any government ministry in Nigeria you will see corruption and greed walking Unclad

Go to any secondary school in our country you would find the same thing

Would that mean that Christians should not seek a career in civil service or work as secondary school teachers? NO

Concerning your question or doubt about a pastor being a politician

If your Christianity is the same as what we find in the new testament you would see that a pastor is free to be anything he wishes. Pastors are not gods or intermediary between God and men. A pastor is a brother who functions in the office of a pastor within the church ( amongst God's people not a real estate supervisor or a building manager as it's often seen today). The pastor is not " higher" than the teacher or the evangelist.

Many pastors in Nigeria are civil servants, some of them have joined all sorts of associations, some play sports, some don't, some like tennis other don't. some of them are lecturers others are not. If it is not a sin for these brethren so also it is not sinful for a pastor who loves politics and joins a political party. I would have more confidence in government if we have God-fearing men in authority
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Feb 06, 2012
OmoPastor:

If he snatched the ballot box then he is not a Christian. Jesus said "Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them."
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by oloriooko(m): 4:15pm On Feb 08, 2012
@ belabela
talk is cheap but action is expensive.
until you get there and do otherwise.
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by seyibrown(f): 1:11am On Feb 09, 2012
Proverbs 29 vs 2: When the godly are in authority, the people rejoice. But when the wicked are in power, they groan.

We'll continue to suffer, for as long as we allow corrupt people to rule over us. Nothing stops godly people from getting into politics. Loving your neighbour as yourself is one good reason to do get involved in politics! God is not going to come down to sort out our current problems in this current political system; He already came 2000 years ago to show us how to go about it. When he comes back we would not need this current political system. It's up to us to make the best of it while it still exists! We can fold our arms and let corrupt people continue to rule over us or we can get involved and set godly examples to encourage others godly people to join! However, to embark on a political career, be sure to involve and stay with God every step of the way! When you've got God behind you, you'll fear nothing! Fear is the main crippling factor for many Xtians!

1 John 4:18
King James Version (KJV)

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

and

2 Corinthians 3:17
New Living Translation (NLT)

17 For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by buzugee(m): 1:16am On Feb 09, 2012
romans 12 vs 2. be in the world but not off the world. politics is a man made demonic philosophy. any true man of God will stay far away from politricks
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by Knight1(m): 4:35pm On Feb 09, 2012
buzugee:

romans 12 vs 2. be in the world but not off the world. politics is a man made demonic philosophy. any true man of God will stay far away from politricks
are you saying the position of government leadership should exclude pastors? since the only way to attain office is by politics?
SO Christians should not contest? should they vote? undecided
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by buzugee(m): 5:06pm On Feb 09, 2012
Knight1:

are you saying the position of government leadership should exclude pastors? since the only way to attain office is by politics?
SO Christians should not contest? should they vote? undecided
i am not saying the position of government leadership should exclude pastors. but any pastor who sees fit to get into politics is off this world and not of the lord. there is no such thing as politics. all you have is a group of power hungry egomaniacs who want to rule over people. simple as that. this is why politics was formed. in the old days, what they did was selected the most courageous and moral and strong person to be the leader of his nation of people. simple as that. if everybody turned back to God, there would be no need for politicians. your politician will be the bible. so politics is a system born out of the corrupt nature of man. should they vote ? nope.
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by Knight1(m): 6:55pm On Feb 09, 2012
i don't think you are right. 'in the old days', everybody practised a single religion, operated under same/similar idealogies; today we are secular in every sense of it.being a leader (political) is a good thing; Nehemiah, Obadiah (and Philemon probably) did so in their days and by the tenets of democracy today, you must canvass for people's vote. i do believe that the reason politics is corrupt today is because good people have continually stayed away,If 50 percent of Christians in Nigeria participate actively in politics, you think things won't change?
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by buzugee(m): 7:05pm On Feb 09, 2012
Knight1:

i don't think you are right. 'in the old days', everybody practised a single religion, operated under same/similar idealogies; today we are secular in every sense of it.being a leader (political) is a good thing; Nehemiah, Obadiah (and Philemon probably) did so in their days and by the tenets of democracy today, you must canvass for people's vote. i do believe that the reason politics is corrupt today is because good people have continually stayed away,If 50 percent of Christians in Nigeria participate actively in politics, you think things won't change?
see thats the mistake you are making. the world as it is will not change. we are in the reign of the gentiles. the world has been handed over to the wicked to rule. revelations 6 vs 4, job 9 vs 24. the dice has been cast for this world. the wicked own the world now till the reign of the gentiles end when jesus returns and then hands the world over to the righteous again. so if you think a righteous man in this world will get into politics to change something is myopic. if a clean man jumps into the sewer and expects to come out clean, he must be delusional and crazy. this is what the saints are all waiting for > 2 esdras 6 vs 9
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by buzugee(m): 7:11pm On Feb 09, 2012
and those men you mentioned did not partake of politics. they were anointed men of God. i read Obadiah all the time. one of the shortest but most powerful books in the bible
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by Knight1(m): 7:51am On Feb 10, 2012
Not that obadiah. the one that went to find Elijah. Ahab's Aide.
Politics is dirty today, Using your sewer example, if YOu pour an Oceanful of water in a sewer, that sewer will be clean.
YOu cannot honestly tell me that GOD does not want his children to partake in government or politics. Even in Nigeria, there are still Christians politicians, it's just that they are sidelined because of their faith and so you do not see them and just believe everybody is a bad person.
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by OmoPastor(m): 6:22am On Feb 12, 2012
@ buzugee so you are suggesting that we should all bear the pains and agony of bad leadership until Jesus comes back? and that christians should not vote? i disagree with you on that.
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by Boomark(m): 8:37am On Feb 12, 2012
@Omopastor

Did you see any where in revelation or the bible where it was prophesied that a group christians will take over the rulership of this world and make it better? NO! What will not happen will not happen. You cant force it even with mas protest or whatever means you chose.

What was written is that Christ will conquer and destroy this earthly politics or rule. And i pity you or your pastor if Christ comes when you are snatching ballot box or planing to give bribe, wine, etc in order to win election.

Yea, when the righteous is in power the people rejoice. That time will certainly come when Christ come not now. A WORLD of righteousness is coming.

So i tell you this day, it is better you fold your hands to politics and open your hands to serving God out side politics.
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by buzugee(m): 1:05pm On Feb 12, 2012
Knight1:

Not that obadiah. the one that went to find Elijah. Ahab's Aide.
Politics is dirty today, Using your sewer example, if YOu pour an Oceanful of water in a sewer, that sewer will be clean.
YOu cannot honestly tell me that GOD does not want his children to partake in government or politics. Even in Nigeria, there are still Christians politicians, it's just that they are sidelined because of their faith and so you do not see them and just believe everybody is a bad person.
COME ON CHIEF. THERE IS NO WAY YO CAN CLEAN OUT A SEWER BY POURING AN OCEAN OF WATER INTO IT. to use todays, economic phrase, this is akin to throwing good money after bad money. the only way to rectify the situation will be to remove the contents of the sewer. remove the politicians and get back to the way the lord intended. the bible is your politician, and then you select a pious God fearing man and a group of elders as the spokesperson and interceder for the nation. simple. anything not in the bible is of the world. be not partakers of the doctrines of the world.
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by buzugee(m): 1:17pm On Feb 12, 2012
OmoPastor:

@ buzugee so you are suggesting that we should all bear the pains and agony of bad leadership until Jesus comes back? and that christians should not vote? i disagree with you on that.
bad leadership is put on you by the lord to increase your pain and agony because you would not listen to him. the lord put that bad leadership on you. the lord is using the satanic spirit in your leaders to teach you a lesson. you know the saying 'a nation gets the kind of leaders they deserve' ? thats biblical. you cant vote or politic your way out of bad leadership. everything that goes on in the world is controlled and orchestrated by God. your leaders in nigeria work for God. proverbs 16 vs 4. the only way you are getting out of the calamities of bad leadership in nigeria is if the people change. most nigerians have very dark and devious vicious minds. most nigerians worship money. their god is money and they will sacrifice other people to get that money. they will do all kinds of evil to get that money. so long as you all as a nation are still in this mind-frame, the lord will continue to bless you with leaders who will keep money away from you. like i said, you cant vote your way out of bad leadership.when the people of the nation genuinely turn to God, then he will bless you with a leader that will treat you right. until then ? nothing you can do. good leadership in nigeria has to start from the bottom up, not the top to the bottom. the lord is in control. he gives people the leaders they deserve. especially if you are israelites (this comes with a huge responsibility) (you are supposed to be the spiritual light and not a money worshipper. you cant serve two masters )
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by OmoPastor(m): 3:45pm On Feb 12, 2012
@ buzugee so if we are being punished for being bad why are christians called salt and light of the world? what are they salting and lighting? show me a nation that has good moral standing before God?
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by buzugee(m): 3:51pm On Feb 12, 2012
OmoPastor:

@ buzugee so if we are being punished for being bad why are christians called salt and light of the world? what are they salting and lighting? show me a nation that has good moral standing before God?
CHRISTIANS ARE NOT CALLED SALT AND LIGHT OF THE EARTH. THOSE WHO FOLLOW HIS LAWS STATUTES AND COMMANDMENTS AND HAVE FAITH IN HIM are called so. PART OF THE 614 LAWS STATUTES AND COMMANDMENTS IS BE IN THE WORLD BUT NOT OFF THE WORLD. IF YOU DABBLE IN POLITICS YOU ARE NOT OF THE LORD. YOU ARE OF THE WORLD.

what nation has good moral standing with the lord ? none obviously. look at the state of the world.
Re: Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? by Judek2(m): 7:12pm On Feb 12, 2012
A true Christian shouldnt participate in politics. Its not advisable.

Power corrupts, and leads to anarchy and blood shed. Many decissions which must be taken under political rules is against Jesus teachings.

In the life of a believer, two things cant go together. Politics and God. Atleast,the strange way politics is done in the world today.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Religion Section Reference Library (sticky) / Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres / 3 Lessons Christians can Learn From The Life Of The Apostles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.