Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,488 members, 7,781,466 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:52 PM

Nigerians In Netherlands - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Netherlands (47580 Views)

Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe / Netherlands Tourist Visa / How Easy Is Getting Admission Into Netherlands Univeristies And Visa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by zik4ever: 12:58pm On Apr 02, 2015
zik4ever:
Hi all, i am due to travel to the Netherlands next month. Whats ypur advice about affordable flight options there from Abuja, Nigeria -BA, Air France KLM, Lufthansa etc?
Hello! Anyone in the house?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by Juwohn: 12:00pm On Sep 09, 2015
seems everyone is slipping now

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by zik4ever: 12:11pm On Sep 09, 2015
Juwohn:
seems everyone is slipping now
Anyone in Den Haag?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by apajetura: 5:20pm On Dec 19, 2015
hello house, am a geology graduate working in an oil servicing coy. i am married with 2 kids. i intend to relocate to amsterdam with my family legally. Any idea on how to go about this and obtaining permament residency?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by Naijalastborn(m): 1:31pm On Aug 16, 2016
Hello House, it's been a while here tho.. Alles goed?
Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by hiuser(m): 4:50am On Feb 04, 2018
Sholaf:

The Living standard in The Netherland is way better than US.

YUP. wiki THAT it will save you loads of TIME, space and even xo.0/ i~i

if it can ...-_-!
Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by hiuser(m): 5:25am On Feb 04, 2018
missyjolanda:
Hello,

I have lived in the Netherlands my entire life. So I know it well. For anyone trying to go to the Netherlands a fair warning:

First:

Housing:

if you do not have either business income to show for, a job, are not connected to someone or have lots of cash (to be able to put 6 months in as an extra deposit (normally 1 month), to get housing is a difficult task. Especially for black people, even worse for Africans.

Well, if you are from Nigeria and you have gone to Europe before having lived in a town no..and the federal government will see you soon

- When you say that you are Nigerian, you may notice many doors not opening, due to the very negative propaganda there is about Nigerians (but mind you, many white people that catch a flight to Lagos to do business, are Dutch)because of corruption yes..we didn't have it before...we were based in europe as well but the gov in Britain back then make it Do it and took our self : we were outside Britain from nigeria as well but it looked to cut us a place in Britain because they had it do it and then u.s a as well you know also took our mouth : slavery do it...but not everyone is a slave or has had european settlements in their compound before in nigeria), some place exposed to what you don't know about it and in some other corrupt allegations....,

Ghanaians dont have that much negativity attached to them other than them being "African" . For black people of any culture it is very difficult to obtain housing..unless you meet the requirements above, than with private rentals it may still be down to the preference of the owner, but with realestate agents, you will have less problems (ofcourse because you will pay, higher rents,have to show more income, etc)

-I have known many friends who have just been able to receive public housing (via the public system (cheaper, opportunity to receive subsidies, lease protection,etc), and this after 10 years of struggling..from room to room, overpriced private rentals etc.

- Dutch people like their peaceful neighborhoods. Das waar. [/b]africans talk loud and have loud music in their opinion [b] volgens mij...o.k kom naar een keer en dan.. This is also why you see more Nigerians gravitate to the housing complex in the "ghetto" Bijlmermeer. They call it that because many black cultures live there. Over the last years, they have done a great deal of refurbishing, building expensive housing to gentrify (increase numbers of white people) that area, as its close to a very important businesshub " Amsterdam Bijlmer Arena". So many houses in that area arent even offered through the public system anymore.
I lived in the bijlmermeer in teens and I loved it..

- So if you didnt come in through your job, wife/girlfriend or family, than know that you have a very difficult time ahead. Well more than the former that is.

(Yes fed Gov)

For cost of living comparisons use this site, prices are quite accurate: http://www.numbeo.com

Jobs:
- Right now is a very bad time for black people to find a job. Even highly educated white folks are struggling.

(thank you from me kus hoor schat :x) check hoverbikes aeronaut mechanics monteurs worldwide lol xD cry

- Technical engineers, It engineers are still in high demand. The biggest chances you will find are in IT, but mainly software/application/game development or Project/Information managers (experienced, with references)
- You will notice that increasingly employers (most often for the better paid positions, but the middle companies are getting a taste for it too) are using a very intrusive system of investigating your resume up to 10 years back (by using agencies to very everything about you)
- No matter how good your papers are, in the end many are taken in by your personality. Its very subjective..but thats the way it is here.

First, many Nigerians, will either own their own businesses in the following areas:
-clothing
- barbershop/hair-/nailsalon
- grocerystore
-import/export
- transport related business (parcels, cars, taxi, etc)
- gypsy cabs (= very illegal, but very much an accepted practice in the Bijlmer (Amsterdam)) among black cultures
- handy men
(these are the most common and visible choices)
Hoe kan dat? waar zien wij? sometimes britain/u.s.a discovers us there my dear but... -_-! Europe is not even wicked...
again -_-!

Second, or have Jobs in:
- restaurants (in the back)
- cleaning
- hotels (cleaning, washing)
- security (once they have the official papers)
- warehouses (orderpicking, etc)

But even obtaining these jobs is very difficult, because you are up against many with clear and reference experience. A person who came in through his white wife, had to struggle for years with temporary jobs via agencies here and there, untill just recently a company he has worked for for years fihas finally decided to offer him a contract for 18 hrs a week as a cleaner (this will probably make him 500-600 euro a month). Sounds alot? Wel not in the Netherlands it isnt. But because they are together, he atleast brought something in.

There arent many of them but you also have those that are in:
- bookkeeping/accounting
- in hospitals (doctor/lab)
- IT

(I have worked in big international companies..have not seen one general manager, project managers, sales manager, marketing managers,etc of any african descent other than Caribbean (Suriname, Antilles) and most of the time that was me..But africans..none.
Amsterdammers misschien vroeger

Third, or you will see Nigerians simply go back and forth on business visa for all kinds of business relating to Nigeria's main products (Cars, etc).

The jobmarket is crazy now here, many are losing their jobs. Still the highest group able to get jobs are whites. But even in their group the unemployment is high. The news does not reflect this. I once had to accept a minimum wage job, out of straight desperation. What i noticed is how stressed practically 95% of the staff was when the owner dared to be late at one point with the payment of the salaries. Everyone was in straight panic..(white, black..the lot). Many are living on their last paycheck. BUT their is still much wealth...yes, usually with those 50 years and up.

Starting a business is fairly easy. In an hour your business is registered, and within 1 week if all is well, you can have a business account (the ones with a residence permit ofcourse) (Many even within a day).A bookkeeper is 700-1000 euro a year on average. But renting a premises is way more difficult (unless you have cash to show for), and usually a minimum of 5 years lease. Some will accept 1-2 years. However many
things will cost money, so dont go in without advice from chamber of commerce and a good bookkeeper.

If you are hard worker, resourceful, on time, stick to agreements, show integrity,and have tough skin, you have a chance. (and some cash too).

Many nigerians that claim or have shown to have "made it", had their (white) European spouse blowing wind in their backs (husband or wife),
The rest is grinding like anyone else. (I have seen those that made it through the grind..they "made it" for real. But its a tough tough road.
(Yes)

Relations:
- As I said, say you are Nigerian, you will
receive all the negative consequences in the minds of people. People here are not vocally racist in general. Usually covert and some overt in their practices. (either behind your back..or making derogatory jokes they feel you should think is funny)
- Ghananians and Nigerians (the biggest African group) usually do not like one another. Each side speaks badly about the other away from them. Up close they tolerate on another..some are even friends.
- I have heard Nigerians say they were from Ghana just to not deal with the BS from people.
(nee!)
- If you are the kind that can live a quiet life, work hard, be tidy, and be like the Jones"s..than you can have a good life. The ones that can't usually live close to their people.
- Many Nigerian friends have moved away from Netherlands due to the covert racism..
(funny) but if you hated.but once again Britain doesn't know how to..

Healthcare:
will cost at least 1300 euro a year on average

Public transportation (tram, metro.bus):
atleast 50-70 euro a month for one person travelling daily within one zone. Train is more expensive (http://www.ns.nl).

or get a loadcard like many, nameless/anonymous is 7,50 personalized is free (they can track your every move, but you can also take subscriptions with this one). Buses/trams/metro, will deduct 4 euro's per ride as a minimum, and then deduct the fee of the ride (so a minimum load of 4 euro's is always required)
- trains 10 euro,minimum load at all times. (otherwise you cant even take the train)

Safety
- Police is racist, so you have to deal with a rough attitude on average when you are black

- Be prepared to get asked for your papers often as a man
- However if you are just living your life, you will not see them
- Here people are not so afraid of the police, so the police can receive a big mouth too on occasion. It depends on where you are stationed.
- Many things happen..burglary, rapes, all kinds of stuff. So safety has definitely deteriorated. In one year alone in my street many dangerous situations occurred and I live in a fairly nice suburban neighborhood. I felt more safe in Nigeria actually.

Groceries:
on average a family of two can do with 120-200 euro a month. If you are going to eat stews/soups every day. Be prepared that this is costly..even bought once a week. the 200 is more average..120 is really maybe one person or 2 people cutting it very close..Palm oil here is about 5 euros..A kilo Yam is 10 euro. Beef about 12 a kilo, chicken is about 6 euro a kilo.

Netherlands has nice roads, very structured, lots of bureaucracy, no corruption on a civil level (usually on a higher one), if you know the rules their are many ways to obtain recourse. If you dont have money you can hardly move around an average trip from suburb to city, will cost you 3-5 euro's oneway, smaller cities (about 50-60% of that), unless you live near a citycentre (usually all you will need is a good bicycle, and condition).Jobmarket is tough, minimum wage is about 8,50 per hour. Speaking Dutch language is required to obtain a job. English is spoken..but will be harder to obtain jobs that way. But try to speak their language, and you will score points. But still speak just English when you are there for 2 years or more..Than they will dislike that. They consider that lazy.

My advice: do a basic course, will cost about 36 euro's. For instance via.. http://www.2speaklanguages.com

No matter what Europeans want to speak their own language in your country, but you have to speak theirs in their country. Just learn to play the game in your favor.

Miscellaneous
-Try to get another account than a yahoo..for instance gmail.
- Do not sollicit for private information over the internet
- Do not give your id to anyone over the internet, or ask for it just like that
- learn about basic customs and laws in The Netherlands. They are very high on that.
- Do not Try to chat women up online (facebook etc)

Personally:
- I know the rules and regulations, i grew up in this nation, worked hard, paid hard. It is NOT a paradise. For the last few years I have been one of the few black people you see commuting towards their jobs. I have really noticed this.Only those that have a job, working both of them (couples)..can make it here or those willing to share discomforts.
- I personally say, build your lives in Nigeria. While you are moving away, whites/asians are coming in..before you know it..you will be begging them for a job in your own country. Dont allow this, by having your sights on sodom (because that is what Europe is). I have seen too many get wicked from staying here..cheating family, friends just to survive or their own wicked reasons.
- There is good, there is bad..but definitely not perfection. But hey, some would still rather give their last arm to come here, rather than build their own country.

So that's it

[b]By law former and not legitimate as these where taken lomg time ago and other black british related...drag-ons)
While Argentina was battling for independence from Spain between 1810 and 1816—a war, I should note, in which Afro-Argentinian slaves were conscripted into the liberation army of Gen. San Martín —the assembly of the United Provinces officially banned the importation of slaves.
The year was 1813, but, as Elizando is quick to point out, “the slave trade continued until a pact with Britain in 1840 effectively ended it.”
In a June 2013 article in the International Business Times titled “Blackout: How Argentina ‘Eliminated’ Africans From Its History and Conscience,” Palash Ghosh writes that there were slaves in that country until about 1853. It was about that time that the "blackout" began.
We still love Argentina though..!! Even the Queen maxima has Argentinian roots ...but for your own consensus..and europe are becoming a part of your identity therein is only where to find a place with humidity to justify why we are about these things...
[/b]
- Police is racist, so you have to deal with a rough attitude on average when you are black

Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by hiuser(m): 7:27am On Feb 04, 2018
Sholaf:

The Netherland's economy is AAA.  For every Euro cent you spend, you get quality service.
The Rail and Road networks are fantastic. Almost every one owns a bike or two.
English is widely spoken.
Dutch
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2000653800204893&id=1510685965868348&refid=8&ref=opera_speed_dial&_ft_=qid.6518665840264651697%3Amf_story_key.-2229311734295854656%3Apage_id.1510685965868348%3Apage_insights.%7B%221510685965868348%22%3A%7B%22page_id%22%3A1510685965868348%2C%22role%22%3A1%2C%22actor_id%22%3A100001254331993%2C%22psn%22%3A%22EntCommentNodeBasedEdgeStory%22%2C%22attached_story%22%3A%7B%22role%22%3A1%2C%22page_id%22%3A1510685965868348%2C%22post_context%22%3A%7B%22story_fbid%22%3A2000653800204893%2C%22publish_time%22%3A1517553000%2C%22story_name%22%3A%22EntVideoCreationStory%22%2C%22object_fbtype%22%3A1%7D%2C%22actor_id%22%3A1510685965868348%2C%22psn%22%3A%22EntVideoCreationStory%22%2C%22sl%22%3A5%7D%2C%22sl%22%3A5%2C%22targets%22%3A%5B%7B%22page_id%22%3A1510685965868348%2C%22actor_id%22%3A100001254331993%2C%22role%22%3A1%2C%22post_id%22%3A2000653800204893%2C%22share_id%22%3A0%7D%5D%7D%7D&__tn__=%2As-R
I believe there are jobs available for all, so long as one in not lazy.
Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by hiuser(m): 1:04pm On Feb 04, 2018
Naijalastborn:
oh thumb up don't even mind worry, he's saying what he didn't not even know much about! I was awaiting patiently for him to take this up and show him what I know about Nigerians in Netherlands, Nigerians living in Netherlands are doing we'll than what he's assuming not all Blacks are Nigerians. In refrence to what you are saying @ hycode Amsterdam is a large city in Netherlands in such a large and popular city you will find many bad things happen around there. But moved away from Amsterdam mingles with Africans in Bijlmermeer, Utrecht, even in amsterdam goto to IJburg. You will see Africans are doing well,@worry you can't conclude that because you see blacks in Amsterdam doing dirty jobs that means Nigerians in Netherlands are doing That.... Netherlands is very very Expensive to live as for illegal immgirant what do you expect just imagine?

I am on this Thread to keep it growing and attracts Nigerians in Netherlands to come in and discuss so that other Nigerians who want to come to Netherlands can learn and share more about the knowledge.

@hycode alles goed?
Ooh Wat Lief van je. thats nice.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by hiuser(m): 1:06pm On Feb 04, 2018
DisGuy:
was in Amsterdam earlier this year, very clean city with lots of places to chill out

expensive? but clean

somehow wish i can go in a summer month

De pond he... boot totchjes... little ship rides :p
Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by hiuser(m): 1:09pm On Feb 04, 2018
hycode:

Dus als je komt? I will back to Cyprus(north) next week bro that's where I am based for now, after a short visit to Germany and Austria. There is something about the Netherlands that I am missing already(nor be weed or hookers ooo,lol) I see why people even Americans are always tempted to overstay lol.

Study 'halls' and castles...
Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by hiuser(m): 5:41pm On Feb 04, 2018
Were back but don't come..
updated!

- When you say that you are Nigerian, you may notice many doors not opening, due to the very negative propaganda there is about Nigerians (but mind you, many white people that catch a flight to Lagos to do business, are Dutch)[b]because of corruption yes..we didn't have it before...we were based in europe as well but the gov in Britain back then make it Do it and took our self : we were outside Britain from nigeria as well but it looked to cut us a place in Britain because they had it do it and then u.s a as well you know also took our mouth : slavery do it...but not everyone is a slave or has had european settlements in their compound before in nigeria), some place exposed to what you don't know about it and in some other corrupt allegations....
Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by DisGuy: 1:19am On Feb 05, 2018
hiuser:

De pond he... boot totchjes... little ship rides :p

??
Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by Iboloh: 11:01pm On May 25, 2018
Goodday house. Please I want to knw if there is any company in Netherlands called international secured project support in Bloedkoraal 12
5629 HD Eindhoven, Netherlands. Pls its urgent
Thanks
Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by makadamian: 11:46pm On Feb 10, 2019
seriously, how do i make nigerian friends out here or join any groups? i want to have my potential children surrounded by his/her culture.
Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by Naijalastborn(m): 3:08pm On Feb 11, 2019
makadamian:
seriously, how do i make nigerian friends out here or join any groups? i want to have my potential children surrounded by his/her culture.
Where are you in the Netherlands?
Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by Norchikevents: 10:12pm On Jun 03, 2019
Is there any one in Netherlands. I need help getting accommodation for summer school.
Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by McManuel8487(m): 7:35am On Jun 24, 2019
25omega:
I am a Nigerian living in the U.S and i have always thought and fantasied about living and working in Amsterdam or some part of Europe. What's the housing situation like in Amsterdam like price. Also how is the economy? as in for an IT professional. Would i be able to find a job?

Note not going over there to smoke weed or chill with hookers i just feel that it is located in a place that would give me access to the rest of Europe. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated

Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by Ladyintergrity: 12:22am On Jul 28, 2019
Hello guys, please who stays in Netherland and can tell me where to buy carton of yams. I stay in Germany but will visit Netherland this holiday, God's Grace. Thanks

Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by klique(f): 1:58pm On Nov 13, 2019
Hello Good afternoon every one. My cousin got a job seeker visa from Netherlands sent to him in lagos. what are the documents he needs to prepare. Also we heard he will go to Accra to take the visa. Anyone please help.
Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by NemNem: 3:21pm On Nov 14, 2019
klique:
Hello Good afternoon every one. My cousin got a job seeker visa from Netherlands sent to him in lagos. what are the documents he needs to prepare. Also we heard he will go to Accra to take the visa. Anyone please help.

Yes. The organisation should send the approved IND documents to Ghana before you heard out there. Also go with approved documents as well. Age declaration or attestation
Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by klique(f): 3:50pm On Nov 14, 2019
Ok, let me break it down. A business colleague of his brother did the visa for him. 3 months job seeking visa. She stood as the sponsor and guarantor etal, she said, they have sent the visa to Africa. My cousin should go collect it. Now we are confused as how sure that the visa has arrived ghana and specific documents to go with. Someone mentioned that the woman is supposed to send attaching documents used in applying for the visa etc. Meanwhile my cousin has just his passport and age declaration documents, bank statement. Nothing related to the visa. As we thought he will just go, do some interview and wait for his pp to be stamped.

Thanks a lot.

NemNem:

Yes. The organisation should send the approved IND documents to Ghana before you heard out there. Also go with approved documents as well. Age declaration or attestation
Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by Craigbrown4076: 11:18pm On Apr 13, 2020
Naijalastborn:
boss pls reply ur pm

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by Craigbrown4076: 7:53am On May 15, 2020
Naijalastborn:
boss... Pls reply your email na. Alstublieft!
Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by verminnel(f): 3:19pm On May 15, 2020
Please is it possible to start processing tourist visa application now
Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by Naijalastborn(m): 12:34pm On Jul 25, 2020
Craigbrown4076:
boss pls reply ur pm
Sup bro
Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by Craigbrown4076: 8:31pm On Jul 25, 2020
Naijalastborn:
Sup bro
Wow... You replied, let me send you a pm

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by Nobody: 7:32am On Jul 26, 2020
Naijalastborn:
Sup bro
Bro are you living in Netherlands
I want to ask few questions but I will ask them here for people to Also benefits from it
Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by Amycanada(f): 2:16pm On Jan 17, 2021
Hello everyone.. who knows about University of Maastricht and the city? Is the environment a safe one? I will be applying to the school soon. Though, I have applied to Canada, I want to apply to another country in case the Canadian student visa doesn't get approved.
Re: Nigerians In Netherlands by megastu(m): 10:41am On Aug 14, 2021
Maastrict is safe.Most of Netherlands is safe.
Amycanada:
Hello everyone.. who knows about University of Maastricht and the city? Is the environment a safe one? I will be applying to the school soon. Though, I have applied to Canada, I want to apply to another country in case the Canadian student visa doesn't get approved.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Soldier Beats Driver In Lagos BRT Driving Booth (Pics) / Trailer-Loaded With Beer Falls Along Oji River Axis Of Enugu-Onitsha Expressway / Abroad-based Nigerian Man Dies 2 Days After Landing In Nigeria (photo, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.