Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) (91609 Views)

OOGUN KIRIJI -the World’s Longest Ethnic Civil War / KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group / Pastors Wars - I Will Not Worship In TB Joshua’s Church, Says Adeboye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Sauron1: 10:40pm On Feb 07, 2012
Kilode?!:

^

Sauron?? shocked shocked

The same Sauron?

Who the Greek is Sauron?
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by AndreUweh(m): 10:44pm On Feb 07, 2012
~Sauron~:

You make me laugh. . . . .

The Ndigbos are the biggest cowards in the country since 1970.
I remember them running with their tails between their legs during the Abiola riots in 93 as they thought another Civil War was bound to start.
Many of them left their houses, shops and properties - many never returned as they died on the bad roads to their towns/villages.

That's a bit of history for you Mr. Dede1.
Why are you insulting Ndigbo in this beautiful thread?. It seems you are not happy with this historical thread or do you want the easterners to derail it.
Biko, respect.

2 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Sauron1: 10:48pm On Feb 07, 2012
Andre Uweh:

Why are you insulting Ndigbo in this beautiful thread?. It seems you are not happy with this historical thread or do you want the easterners to derail it.
Biko, respect.

Not disrespecting anyone - just dropping the facts.
Dede1 wants us to believe they taught the others how to wage wars - he's wrong!

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by AndreUweh(m): 10:55pm On Feb 07, 2012
~Sauron~:

Not disrespecting anyone - just dropping the facts.
Dede1 wants us to believe they taught the others how to wage wars - he's wrong!
He might be wrong but am really enjoying this thread. I have read the works of Prof J.F Ade-Ajayi in relation to this topic. I think someone quoted his book earlier on this thread.
Nevertherless, I would like to read your contributions. What was the role of your own town during this dark period of Yoruba history?.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Sauron1: 11:08pm On Feb 07, 2012
Andre Uweh:

He might be wrong but am really enjoying this thread. I have read the works of Prof J.F Ade-Ajayi in relation to this topic. I think someone quoted his book earlier on this thread.
Nevertherless, I would like to read your contributions. What was the role of your own town during this dark period of Yoruba history?.

The Ekitis fought like a truck of para-military troops led by Ogedengbe.
Ekiti and Ijesha formed an alliance(Ekiti Parapo) to fight the Ibadan people and they won.
I am sure my great great grandfather fought for the alliance to beat up the Ibadan who were keen to enslave the rest of the Yoruba people.

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Dede1(m): 11:10pm On Feb 07, 2012
Few of these loudmouths should inquire why Sokoto Caliphate and even Oba of Benin maintained that expansionism towards southeast was the must unfortunate, regrettable and dangerous undertaken attempted. grin grin grin

They were shown the act of separating human head from the body with style. They realize the jungle hides the strongest and quickest warriors known to human. smiley smiley smiley
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by hercules07: 11:12pm On Feb 07, 2012
@Kats

Ti Ibadan Ogunmola ba gba e mun, we go use you tayin, you know say Ogunmola was another Benjamin Adekunle, he shoots anything that moves, including his own; do not mind those Egbas, they had support of the Ijebus who had access to the seas, of course we defeated them and would have beaten them sillier if not for the pesky Ekitis and the wily Ilorins that were fighting us at the same time, they should have waited their turn. The wars of those days were fought by real men, they recognized courage whenever they saw it. There was a battle that was fought by the Ibadans against the Egbas and Ijebus defending an Ijebu town, infact, that contributed in no small way to the mutiny of the Ijebu Chiefs against their Awujale.
As per Dede's statement, the guy no dey serious, if his people had dared to teach the Ibadans anything, their heads would have been off their necks, you will presume to teach hardened Generals the act of war?

3 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by AndreUweh(m): 11:15pm On Feb 07, 2012
~Sauron~:

The Ekitis fought like a truck of para-military troops led by Ogedengbe.
Ekiti and Ijesha formed an alliance(Ekiti Parapo) to fight the Ibadan people and they won.
I am sure my great great grandfather fought for the alliance to beat up the Ibadan who were keen to enslave the rest of the Yoruba people.
Did the Ekiti alliance actually won against Ibadan?. Am not too sure of that. I thought there was a deadlock, then foreign powers got involved, then later was a ceasefire. You may know more than me.

2 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by hercules07: 11:19pm On Feb 07, 2012
They did not win anything, we actually fought them more than once, the British got involved in the second one, that was the one that ended in a deadlock. The Ibadans must be praised for they were fighting on three fronts and still managed to hold out due to superior tactics despite the fact that the Egbas and Ijebus had access to the seas and the Ijeshas had access to modern weaponry and some people will come online to say Yorubas are cowards.

5 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Kilode1: 11:21pm On Feb 07, 2012
~Sauron~:

Who the Greek is Sauron?

It's you all right

Welcome back!
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Sauron1: 11:25pm On Feb 07, 2012
Andre Uweh:

Did the Ekiti alliance actually won against Ibadan?. Am not too sure of that. I thought there was a deadlock, then foreign powers got involved, then later was a ceasefire. You may know more than me.

The Ekiti alliance bludgeoned the Ibadan troops.
If Ogedengbe didn't win the war, why's he a legend?

He had over 150 wives. Kingdom rulers offered him women so he can protect their territories.
Legend has it that he was like Rambo. Feared across Yoruba land. He kills anything that crosses his path - no exceptions.

hercules07:

They did not win anything, we actually fought them more than once, the British got involved in the second one, that was the one that ended in a deadlock. The Ibadans must be praised for they were fighting on three fronts and still managed to hold out due to superior tactics despite the fact that the Egbas and Ijebus had access to the seas and the Ijeshas had access to modern weaponry and some people will come online to say Yorubas are cowards.

Should we praise the Nazis too for fighting the French revolution, The British, America and USSR during the WWII?
If they knew they lacked the clout to rule over the entire Yoruba land, why go into the war in the first place.

Make i hear word, the Ekitis kicked arses.
They brought a lot of Ibadan women back home as spoils of the war. grin

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by hercules07: 11:32pm On Feb 07, 2012
@Sauron

You can not compare the Ibadans to Nazis and you guys did not win, Ogedengbe was a legend because he fought bravely and won many battles but not the war, he was feared because he was notorious, his boys were not giving to being gentle on civilians. Some of the wars fought by the Ibadans were through arrogance but some were brought upon them due to circumstance, remember the Ibadans were the last defenders of the yorubas and if they are sent by the Alaafin to fight they go willingly, the Ekitis, Ijeshas and Ife had an alliance with the mortal enemies of the yorubas the Fulanis, what did you expect the Ibadans to do, also remember that you had oyo towns that were loyal to Ibadan within enemy territories, did you expect Ibadan to leave them to their fate? As per the Egbas and Ijebus, the Egbas were trouble makers who wanted to teach the Ibadans a lesson, especially after they begged for the life of Efunsetan Aniwura and she was still killed, there were battles fought by Ibadans defending even brothers against brothers, according to the oyinbo that watched some of the battles, he was of the belief that the Ibadan maneuvering was superior to that of the others and would have won the war if left to fight it out, anyway, it is all good, my mum is Ijesha and my wife Ekiti, I have mad love for them people.

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Sauron1: 11:37pm On Feb 07, 2012
hercules07:

@Sauron

You can not compare the Ibadans to Nazis and you guys did not win, Ogedengbe was a legend because he fought bravely and won many battles but not the war, he was feared because he was notorious, his boys were not giving to being gentle on civilians. Some of the wars fought by the Ibadans were through arrogance but some were brought upon them due to circumstance, remember the Ibadans were the last defenders of the yorubas and if they are sent by the Alaafin to fight they go willingly, the Ekitis, Ijeshas and Ife had an alliance with the mortal enemies of the yorubas the Fulanis, what did you expect the Ibadans to do, also remember that you had oyo towns that were loyal to Ibadan within enemy territories, did you expect Ibadan to leave them to their fate? As per the Egbas and Ijebus, the Egbas were trouble makers who wanted to teach the Ibadans a lesson, especially after they begged for the life of Efunsetan Aniwura and she was still killed, there were battles fought by Ibadans defending even brothers against brothers, according to the oyinbo that watched some of the battles, he was of the belief that the Ibadan maneuvering was superior to that of the others and would have won the war if left to fight it out, anyway, it is all good, my mum is Ijesha and my wife Ekiti, I have mad love for them people.

Efunsetan Aniwura - [i]That [/i]African Lara Croft that shook Ibadan to the marrow.
Another pointer to tell you Ibadan people are cowards. This woman defied the Oba, killed people at will. . . .murdered slaves at will and it took the Oba himself to arrest her and the shame of her apprehension wouldn't even let her rest so she committed suicide.
If Ibadan had 4 women like her in unison, they would have conquered Ibadan and you have the gall to mention Ogedengbe or the Ekitis in the same breath as the Ibadans?

Hercules, we go start Kiriji War version 2.0 here o.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by ACM10: 11:45pm On Feb 07, 2012
Tony Spike:

Thank you all for the few insights on the Kiriji wars. Personally, I started this thread for us to have a better peep into the Yoruba Kiriji wars. I would, however, like to ask a few fuzzy questions:

1. Is there a way we can get pictures of the military hard wares used to prosecute these war campaigns?

2. What the level of sophistication of the confederacy military intelligence. For example, I understand that number of spy networks were set up during this war.

3. What is the conservative number of human lives lost to this ancient war?

4. What is the conservative numbers of towns that simply "vanished" by pillaging and massive destruction.

5. Any info about the war strategies adopted by each of the confederate sides?

6. Any info on landmark battles and their locations during this period.

7. What did a typical army formation look like in those days?

I have personally done some little research on my own from the works of Elizabeth Isichei and one other Yoruba history Professor (I no longer remember his name) some few years back. I particularly appreciate the knowledge of Negro-Ntns and katsumoto and their contrtibutions to Yoruba history on this forum.

For those of who are interested to learn more about the Generalissimo of the Kiriji wars, we can visit this website:

http://ogedengbe.com/9702/index.html

I am also including 2 pictures of the Great Ogendengbe and then, his associates of the Ekiti-parapo army

Are u serious?!

They look more or less like Yoruba dance troupe.

BTW, how come is the photo in colour?

grin
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by hercules07: 11:45pm On Feb 07, 2012
@Sauron

Apparently you do not know the role of an Iyalode and how important it was in Ibadan history, you also do not know that Ibadan was originally an Egba town with Oyos, Ifes, Ijebus and Egbas living together, you do not know how Oyos came to dominate the town and what enmity it caused, Efunsetan was of course important but not that important that she could not be tamed, most of the chiefs would have made short work of her if she had threatened them. I hope you are aware that ogedengbe was trained in Ibadan as a warrior and swore not to go against his mentor? It was said that the Ekitis and Ijeshas were so docile that once captured, all you had to do was tell them to tell others who come by that they are your slave and you can go and come back to still meet them at the same spot, your people formed alliance with the Ilorins, we kicked their behind, you think it is easy to deal with the Fulanis?

Abeg we no go start now as you guys are my inlaws and maternal relations.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Kilode1: 11:47pm On Feb 07, 2012
I think the problem with the Ibadans then was their inability to temper their hunger for war with good foresight, apparently they underestimated the determination of an alliance with little to lose.

The Ekiti alliance defeated them on several fronts because they were able to get other kingdoms on their side.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by dayokanu(m): 11:48pm On Feb 07, 2012
^^ Actually Ogedengbe was given Oyo tribal marks

Ogedengbe was trained by Bashorun Ogunmola
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by dayokanu(m): 11:49pm On Feb 07, 2012
Ibadan was reputed to be a town of Warlords. It was even reputed to be lawless and you can grab anything you want from a weaker man.

I think thats why in Ibadan till today every indegene can be King they dont have a royal family every Ibadan indegene is on the queue

Hercules, Whats your position on the queue?
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Sauron1: 11:50pm On Feb 07, 2012
Kilode?!:

I think the problem with the Ibadans then was their inability to temper their hunger for war with good foresight, apparently they underestimated the determination of an alliance with little to lose.

They were too greedy. They wanted everything and they wanted the other tribes to be obsequious to them like the old Oyo Empire but the Ekitis and the Ijeshas were having none of that rubbish any more.

The Ekiti alliance defeated them on several fronts because they were able to get other kingdoms on their side.

The alliance were fighting for their freedom. freedom from enslavement and forever bringing 20% of their farm produce to one greedy Alaafin in Oyo.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by hercules07: 11:50pm On Feb 07, 2012
@Kilode

Defeated who, you won some battles but not the war, of course Ibadans were born to fight, the city took in all sorts of people such that the only way to keep order was to war.

@DK

Abeg tell them o, we taught their warrior all he knew about fighting, I highlighted it in one of my posts, imagine these guys o.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Dede1(m): 11:52pm On Feb 07, 2012
~Sauron~:

Efunsetan Aniwura - [i]That [/i]African Lara Croft that shook Ibadan to the marrow.
Another pointer to tell you Ibadan people are cowards. This woman defied the Oba, killed people at will. . . .murdered slaves at will and it took the Oba himself to arrest her and the shame of her apprehension wouldn't even let her rest so she committed suicide.
If Ibadan had 4 women like her in unison, they would have conquered Ibadan and you have the gall to mention Ogedengbe or the Ekitis in the same breath as the Ibadans?

Hercules, we go start Kiriji War version 2.0 here o.

You foolishly forgot that Ogedengbe was once captured by the Bashorun of Ibadan and he, Ogedengbe, was forced to fight for Ibadan. Without Ibadan warriors, few loudmouths such you would have been appending “Mallam” to your names. grin grin grin
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by hercules07: 11:54pm On Feb 07, 2012
@Sauron

The long term target was the Ilorins, but you pesky Ekitis and Ijeshas had to start something, maybe it was because of your mountains and hills that you thought you were super mario, we were more interested in the Fulanis who had taken Oyo and would have defeated them if you guys had not started all those wars, what is 20% to pay to those who will guarantee your safety, we should have even asked for 50% sef.
@Dede

First time I will agree with you, do not mind Sauron jare, he would have been called Mallam Salisu if not for the Ibadans.

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by ACM10: 11:55pm On Feb 07, 2012
Katsumoto:

Why are you so scared

You are with Onlytruth on this? A comment from someone (onlytruth)[size=15pt] whose people settled communal disputes through wrestling contests when Oyo and Ibadan had some of the most advanced Infantry and Cavalry units in Africa[/size]. grin The first set of rifles purchased by Igbo people were the 12 rifles Ojukwu boasted about just before the start of the civil war.  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Your comments about sword swinging is ignorant at best. Yoruba had been using guns in warfare since the 17th century.

Quit trolling.

he he he

I've previously told you that you are a revisionist.

The most advanced infantry that can't face fulanis with bows and arrows, donkeys and camels.

fulanis made a mincemeat of the most advanced infantry in Africa and took a large swath of your territory.

Yorubas are very funny people
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Dede1(m): 11:57pm On Feb 07, 2012
dayokanu:

^^ Actually Ogedengbe was given Oyo tribal marks

Ogedengbe was trained by Bashorun Ogunmola

Wow Daokuta, for once in your miserable life, you sounded very intelligent.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by hercules07: 11:59pm On Feb 07, 2012
@ACM

I hope you are aware that the bulk of the Fulani army was made up of Yoruba Generals who agreed to serve under those guys, please read up more on history before you open ur mouth.

2 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Sauron1: 12:04am On Feb 08, 2012
Dede1:

You foolishly forgot that Ogedengbe was once captured by the Bashorun of Ibadan and he, Ogedengbe, was forced to fight for Ibadan. Without Ibadan warriors, few loudmouths such you would have been appending “Mallam” to your names.  grin grin grin

Captured after he had killed thousands of Ibadan forces. Even Rambo was once captured.
What does that prove? He was captured, went back to his roots to wage mother of all wars on Ibadan people.

I find that more heroic in my own opinion and i also think the Ekitis would have resisted the useless Sokoto Caliphate.
We don't take nonsense from anyone! Go and check our history!

hercules07:

@Sauron
The long term target was the Ilorins, but you pesky Ekitis and Ijeshas had to start something, maybe it was because of your mountains and hills that you thought you were super mario, we were more interested in the Fulanis who had taken Oyo and would have defeated them if you guys had not started all those wars, what is 20% to pay to those who will guarantee your safety, we should have even asked for 50% sef.

We don't take rubbish from people. We actually wanted Alaafin's head then but it wasn't to be.
Captain Bower saved you guys. . . . .

@Dede
First time I will agree with you, do not mind Sauron jare, he would have been called Mallam Salisu if not for the Ibadans.

Dede1 is a Arrow!
He's not someone you should be siding. . . . .

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Katsumoto: 12:04am On Feb 08, 2012
Sauron

The ekitiparapo won independence but didn't win the war. War ended in a stalemate.

Hercules

You know efunsetan was an egba woman. Your posts are on point. But will address later.

On my fone, will continue later.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by hercules07: 12:05am On Feb 08, 2012
@Kats

Yes I know she was an Egba woman living in Ibadan, me sef I don tire, na 12 am for naija make I go sleep. I will be on the look out for your posts.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by dayokanu(m): 12:07am On Feb 08, 2012
Can you all just ignore the troll called Dede.

He is the village jester

Look at it who gives birth to a child and names him "Dende"?

2 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Sauron1: 12:08am On Feb 08, 2012
Katsumoto:

Sauron
The ekitiparapo won independence but didn't win the war. War ended in a stalemate.

The independence is a war on it's own.
Without my people, Dayokanu and the likes would still be sending their hard-earned foreign currency to one bleached tribal-marked face in Oyo town.
My ancestors fought for Dayokanu's freedom.

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Kilode1: 12:08am On Feb 08, 2012
hercules07:

@Kilode

Defeated who, you won some battles but not the war, of course Ibadans were born to fight, the city took in all sorts of people such that the only way to keep order was to war.

@DK

Abeg tell them o, we taught their warrior all he knew about fighting, I highlighted it in one of my posts, imagine these guys o.

Yes but that is the problem with warrior kingdoms though, too much sinew too little sense.  grin

Of all the actors in that war, Ibadan was in a great position to learn from the lesson of the fallen Oyo Empire, they did not.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by ACM10: 12:08am On Feb 08, 2012
Katsumoto:

The sword is for hand to hand combat. [size=15pt]Sometimes, you run out of bullets and your enemy is close by. [/size]

1. The History of the Yorubas by Samuel Johnson (an Oyo man) so it is a bit Oyocentric but overall an excellent book.
2. Professor Akinjogbin - "Wars in Yorubaland, 1793 - 1893: An analytical categorisation
3. S.A. Akintoye's "Revolution and Power Politics.
4. J.F. Ade Ajayi and R. Smith: Yoruba Warfare

Master spin doctor

Show us the evidence of the bolded.

I mean archaeological evidence.

Why overstretch an ordinary Yoruba inter-tribal fight out of proportion?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Senator Dino Melaye's Outfit To AMVCA 2020 (photo) / DSS Arrests Suspended CBN Gov, Godwin Emefiele / Hausas Asking Igbos To Leave: See What Some Northern Youths Are Saying Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.