Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,937 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:21 AM

The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) (91550 Views)

OOGUN KIRIJI -the World’s Longest Ethnic Civil War / KIRIJI : The World's Longest Civil War By Any Ethnic Group / Pastors Wars - I Will Not Worship In TB Joshua’s Church, Says Adeboye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Katsumoto: 12:09am On Feb 08, 2012
Sauron

Oyo people are not cowards. They had the most fearsome warriors in the history of yoruba warfare.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Kilode1: 12:12am On Feb 08, 2012
DK's ancestors (Ogbomoso) were warriors in their own right too though,

I once read that the town acted as a place of refuge for warriors escaping from war, they felt safe within the walls of ogbomoso, that is big deal.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by ACM10: 12:14am On Feb 08, 2012
hercules07:

@ACM

I hope you are aware that the bulk of the Fulani army was made up of Yoruba Generals who agreed to serve under those guys, please read up more on history before you open ur mouth.

It doesn't matter,

what matters is that Yorubas were soundly beaten and conquered by the fulanis.

Simple and short
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by dayokanu(m): 12:14am On Feb 08, 2012
^^ Dont mind Sauron

Does he know how many Aare ona kakanfo were from that Axis?

Kokoro Gangan, Oyatope, Oyabi, Adeta Oku, Afonja laya loko, Toyeje, Edun, Amepo, Kurumi, Ojo Aburumaku, Obadoke Latoosa (and of course SLA Akintola and MKO Abiola

Count how many were from Oyo. axis
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Sauron1: 12:15am On Feb 08, 2012
Katsumoto:

Sauron
Oyo people are not cowards. They had the most fearsome warriors in the history of yoruba warfare.

Sango? grin grin grin grin
You really don't know your history.
Go and check what happened to the Oyo warriors when they went to Ikere Ekiti to catch slaves to be sold to White Men. grin cheesy

No be today Ekiti people don dey sodomize Oyo Warriors. grin cheesy

dayokanu:

^^ Dont mind Sauron

Does he know how many Aare ona kakanfo were from that Axis?

Kokoro Gangan, Oyatope, Oyabi, Adeta Oku, Afonja laya loko, Toyeje, Edun, Amepo, Kurumi, Ojo Aburumaku, Obadoke Latoosa (and of course SLA Akintola and MKO Abiola

Count how many were from Oyo. axis

E no go better for the 2456387947 Aare ona kankanfos in Oyo!

That particular rock killed over 2000 Oyo Warriors in one evening.
It's still being worshipped till today in Ikere Ekiti.

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by AndreUweh(m): 12:18am On Feb 08, 2012
Katsumoto:

Sauron

The ekitiparapo won independence but didn't win the war. War ended in a stalemate.

Hercules

You know efunsetan was an egba woman. Your posts are on point. But will address later.

On my fone, will continue later.
WORD.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by ACM10: 12:20am On Feb 08, 2012
Katsumoto:

Sauron

Fearsome my foot!

They, in combination with other Yoruba warriors with all their sophisticated weapon[i](if one exists)[/i] were conquered by the fulanis.

You can't spin defeat to victory
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by dayokanu(m): 12:21am On Feb 08, 2012
Kilode,

Ogbomoso . Why do you think the title of the ruler is Ajagungbade

On the night of January 15, 1966, a company of soldiers marched on the residence of the Premier, Western Region. Akintola omo Loogun, Ajalaagbe omo kulodo, yagboyaaju omo kara, took up arms against Nigeria’s first coupists and fought them till daylight, before he was mortally wounded. Eyewitness accounts have it that hours later, with his body riddled with bullets, he was still breathing and remained so until he gave up the ghost at sunset.

Kakanfo Ojo Aburumaku had no war to fight. He fomented a civil war in his native Ogbomoso which he then had a good sport of putting down with severity. Afterall, he was Aare Onakakanfo, the Supreme head of the Esos, the 70 military commanders who make the Yoruba warrior caste. Eso Ikoyi won kii gbofa leyin, iwaju ni won fii gbota. Agba Ikoyi to gbojo iku toree gbalu. Ikoyi Eso, arogun yo- Ikoyi warriors/generals dont receive arrows in the back, they face on coming bullets heads on. Elders of Ikoyi that heard of his day of death and went to get drummers rejoicing, Ikoyi generals that delight in wars

http://www.nigeriancompass.com/index.php/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=tag&tag=Dapo+Ogunwusi&format=feed&limitstart=&type=atom&Itemid=644
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Kilode1: 12:22am On Feb 08, 2012
ACM, Bros. don't mind all these Yoruba boasters, they make mouth over ordinary inter-tribal wrestling.

Please tell them about Umuleri Aguleri Fulani war, I heard people were beheading their enemies with Toyota crankshaft, it is true?  shocked

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Sauron1: 12:23am On Feb 08, 2012
ACM10:

Fearsome my foot!

They, in combination with other Yoruba warriors with all their sophisticated weapon[i](if one exists)[/i] were conquered by the fulanis.

You can't spin defeat to victory

The Fulanis were strong. . . .
They could have conquered Britain if they wanted to. grin

I wouldn't berate Oyo warriors for being conquered by the Fulanis!
It was their lameness in the Kiriji war that told me Oyo warriors were just loud-mouthed.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Kilode1: 12:27am On Feb 08, 2012
Afonja laya loko

Was Afonja gay?

How can he "l'aya l'oko" ? I must be misreading that sha.

Sorry couldn't resist embarassed
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Katsumoto: 12:31am On Feb 08, 2012
Sauron

U are overblowing the strenght in that war. I will respond later. If ibadan weren't fighting several states on three fronts, they would av finished ekiti in no time. Ekiti suffered several defeats before turning to the ijeshas. It was the losses sufferred by the ijesha which prompted ogedengbe an ijesha man to agree to lead the ekitiparapo army. Ogedengbe had pledged not to ever fight against his former masters.

After the war started against the ekiti, it took ajayi ogboriefon all of two days to defeat the ekitiparapo and ilorin at ikirun. The death of ajayi, not in battle, would offer the ekiti a chance to keep fighting.

2 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by dayokanu(m): 12:32am On Feb 08, 2012
Kilode?!:

DK's ancestors (Ogbomoso) were warriors in their own right too though,

I once read that the town acted as a place of refuge for warriors escaping from war, they felt safe within the walls of ogbomoso, that is big deal.

As to the topmost warrior class in northern Yorubaland, Samuel Johnson's 'History of the Yoruba' shows that the largest contingent of holders of the coveted and dreaded Aare Ona Kakanfo come from Ogbomoso. Here we remember the likes of Toyeje, Ojo Abunimaku and Ladoke Akintola, Ajala Agbe, omo Jalodo.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Kilode1: 12:32am On Feb 08, 2012
DK, e ku aigbagbe. I've not visited Ogbomoso in a long time, I'm encouraged to go pay homage to the city were warriors fear to misbehave.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by ACM10: 12:34am On Feb 08, 2012
~Sauron~:

The Fulanis were strong. . . .
They could have conquered Britain if they wanted to. grin

I wouldn't berate Oyo warriors for being conquered by the Fulanis!
It was their lameness in the Kiriji war that told me Oyo warriors were just loud-mouthed.

Agreed!

Afterall they've already conquered the most sophisticated army in Africa.

Kilode?!:

ACM, Bros. don't mind all these Yoruba boasters, they make mouth over ordinary inter-tribal wrestling.

Please tell them about Umuleri Aguleri Fulani war, I heard people were beheading their enemies with Toyota crankshaft, it is true?  shocked

grin
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Sauron1: 12:36am On Feb 08, 2012
Katsumoto:

Sauron

U are overblowing the strenght in that war. I will respond later. If ibadan weren't fighting several states on three fronts, they would av finished ekiti in no time. Ekiti suffered several defeats before turning to the ijeshas. It was the losses sufferred by the ijesha which prompted ogedengbe an ijesha man to agree to lead the ekitiparapo army. Ogedengbe had pledged not to ever fight against his former masters.

After the war started against the ekiti, it took ajayi ogboriefon all of two days to defeat the ekitiparapo and ilorin at ikirun. The death of ajayi, not in battle, would offer the ekiti a chance to keep fighting.

Ekiti were defeated and they kept on fighting? Please. . . .articulate your points well.
What you typed above was pure contradiction.

There's no defeat until the Oba or the rulers of the kingdom must have been captured.
A point i am sure you are not aware of.

2 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by ACM10: 12:36am On Feb 08, 2012
Katsumoto:

Sauron

Mythologist
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Sauron1: 12:39am On Feb 08, 2012
ACM10:

Mythologist

He writes his own tales!

Ekiti never took any nonsense from the Oyos.
Only Ogedengbe committed atrocities in Ekiti and he repented before the council of elders sat to discuss his case.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by NegroNtns(m): 1:06am On Feb 08, 2012
I heard people were beheading their enemies with Toyota crankshaft, it is true?

lmao!!! the original or made in Aba?

DK, you should follow in the footsteps of your grandfather and step in for the next nomination of Are.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Katsumoto: 1:09am On Feb 08, 2012
~Sauron~:

Ekiti were defeated and they kept on fighting? Please. . . .articulate your points well.
What you typed above was pure contradiction.

There's no defeat until the Oba or the rulers of the kingdom must have been captured.
A point i am sure you are not aware of.

I have listed several books that form the basis of my debate. If you can read only one, please read Samuel Johnson's book. I have no interest in distorting history.

If Ekiti were winning, they woudln't have needed to beg an Ijesha man, Ogedengbe, to lead them in battle. The wars started in 1877 and Ogendengbe joined in 1879.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Sauron1: 1:13am On Feb 08, 2012
Katsumoto:

I have listed several books that form the basis of my debate. If you can read only one, please read Samuel Johnson's book. I have no interest in distorting history.

If Ekiti were winning, they woudln't have needed to beg an Ijesha man, Ogedengbe, to lead them in battle. The wars started in 1877 and Ogendengbe joined in 1879.

They needed an alliance. Oyo Empire was massive.
The Ekitis couldn't have won the war by themselves - but each time the Oyo Warriors encroached the Ekiti territories, they got sodomized!

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Kilode1: 1:21am On Feb 08, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

lmao!!! the original or made in Aba?

Original ke? that is sacrilegious.

They used only home made copies
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Katsumoto: 1:27am On Feb 08, 2012
Lets put this tales of Fulani conquest of Oyo into proper perspective. It was Ilorin that sacked Oyo using Afonja's Army of Yoruba mixed with Gobirawa (Hausa slaves), Solagberu's Oke suna Muslim Yoruba Army, and the Onikoyi's (Adegun) army. It was Lanloke of Ogodo that laid seige on Oyo. Even Atiba (future Alaafin) stood by as the Army from Ilorin sacked Oyo.

~Sauron~:

They needed an alliance. Oyo Empire was massive.
The Ekitis couldn't have won the war by themselves - but each time the Oyo Warriors encroached the Ekiti territories, they got sodomized!

Dude,

They were fighting Ibadan and not Oyo. They fought at Ikirun, Osogbo, Ede, Iwo, etc but not at Ekiti. Ibadan was fighting on three fronts and it needed the ability to move its troops easily and still be able to defend Ibadan. If it attempted to move the fight to Ekiti, that Army would have been isolated from the other units.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Dede1(m): 1:37am On Feb 08, 2012
dayokanu:

Can you all just ignore the troll called Dede.

He is the village jester

Look at it who gives birth to a child and names him "Dende"?

Ignore Dede1 at your own peril, olodo.

When Shou of Ogbomosho turned tail and ran like mad dog to Ibadan at the sight of Sokoto Caliphate's soldiers, where was the Aare Ona Kakanfo from Ogbomosho? Agbaya kalukalu.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by NegroNtns(m): 1:40am On Feb 08, 2012
Katz, on Ilorin. . . .Fodio marched on Hausa, Kanuri, Nupe. . . . .his army were living and cohabiting with Yorubas in Gobir and Old Oyo, why did he not march on Old Oyo?
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Katsumoto: 1:43am On Feb 08, 2012
Sauron,

In case you are unaware of this, Ekiti towns were tributaries of Ibadan. So your point about Ekiti not taking nonsense and dealing with Oyo is funny. They had been subjugated in the past. The seized on the conflict between Ibadan and Egba/Ijebu to wage war on Ibadan and still needed an alliance with Ijesha with an Ijesha general leading the combined army.

The same Ekiti towns were equally paying tributes to Benin.

Abeg make we hear word.  grin grin grin
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Katsumoto: 1:48am On Feb 08, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Katz, on Ilorin. . . .Fodio marched on Hausa, Kanuri, Nupe. . . . .his army were living and cohabiting with Yorubas in Gobir and Old Oyo, why did he not march on Old Oyo?  

He knew he couldn't win. Don't forget that Fodio used Islam to convince Hausa sons to fight against the idolatrous Hausa kings. The strategy of sending Islamic scholars to Yorubaland only yielded fruit in Ilorin for several reasons but chiefly because Afonja was a wicked man and that led the people of Ilorin to turn to Alimi in getting rid of him (Afonja).

BTW, Fodio was repelled by the Kanuri.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Sauron1: 1:50am On Feb 08, 2012
Katsumoto:

Sauron,

In case you are unaware of this, Ekiti towns were tributaries of Ibadan. So your point about Ekiti not taking nonsense and dealing with Oyo is funny. They had been subjugated in the past. The seized on the conflict between Ibadan and Egba/Ijebu to wage war on Ibadan and still needed an alliance with Ijesha with an Ijesha general leading the combined army.

The same Ekiti towns were equally paying tributes to Benin.

Abeg make we hear word.  grin grin grin

Fuckin Hell. . . .
Where are these stories coming from?
Seized on which opportunity? Ekiti towns were kicking arses before the Kiriji nonsense.
Read the history books my friend. Then you mentioned Benin? Don't compare Akoko, Ondo and Ilaje to Ekiti.
There's a universe of difference between the two.

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Katsumoto: 1:59am On Feb 08, 2012
~Sauron~:

Fuckin Hell. . . .
Where are these stories coming from?
Seized on which opportunity? Ekiti towns were kicking arses before the Kiriji nonsense.
Read the history books my friend. Then you mentioned Benin? Don't compare Akoko, Ondo and Ilaje to Ekiti.
There's a universe of difference between the two.

Ok,

Ekiti had the most fearsome warriors in the world; they defeated everyone they fought against. grin grin grin

We are actually talking about a coalition of small Ekiti towns such as Ado, Ila, Oke Mesin, etc. grin grin
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpia5: 2:01am On Feb 08, 2012
^which differences are those?

You sound like someone who bases his knowledge on hearsay and google.
Not actual familiarity with the subject matter.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by tpia5: 2:02am On Feb 08, 2012
My post was for sauron.
Re: The Yoruba Kiriji Wars (1877 - 1893) by Sauron1: 2:04am On Feb 08, 2012
Katsumoto:

Ok,

Ekiti had the most fearsome warriors in the world; they defeated everyone they fought against.  grin grin grin

We are actually talking about a coalition of small Ekiti towns such as Ado, Ila, Oke Mesin, etc.  grin grin

You still don't get the geography.
Ekiti has so many villages.
That Ado, Ire, Ikere, etc paid tributes did not necessarily mean all the Ekiti villages were part of that pact!

But when the whole Ekiti formed a strong coalition, they were untouchable!
Go and ask Ogedengbe. . . .

tpia@:

^which differences are those?

You sound like someone who bases his knowledge on hearsay and google.
Not actual familiarity with the subject matter.

So you don't know Ondo/Akure/Ilaje are different from Ekiti?
Wow! Slap yourself  - You are doing the equivalent of saying the Egbas and the Ijebus are the same ish.
If you turn into a notepad, i would write 100,000 word thesis on the history of Yoruba in the 12th-19th century off hand.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Tinubu Poses With PDP Members In Lagos (Photos) / Amaechi's Brother, Dede Amaechi Is Dead: Buhari Commiserates With Rotimi Amaechi / Dino Melaye's Mother's Grave Decorated (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.