Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,196 members, 7,807,667 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:08 PM

Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue (48976 Views)

'Help! My Two Year Old Has SS Genotype' / Chlorophyl And The Sickle Cell Person / Please Explain What Genotype AC Is (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by Raf1(f): 3:00pm On Jun 08, 2007
You guys are really scaring me. I dont know my genotype, I've never really gotten round to getting tested. My Dad's AS, and my mum cant remeber her's , but she thinks she's AA.
My fiance's AA, so I dont really need to worry do I?
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by dakmanzero(m): 4:45pm On Jun 09, 2007
if your fiancee is AA, then no matter what, you have nothing to worry about.

If he is AS, then you should go check yourself out.

If you were SS, you would know by now.

If you have never had malaria before, you might be AS.

Just go get checked.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by Imani(f): 10:59pm On Jun 10, 2007
dakmanzero:

if your fiancee is AA, then no matter what, you have nothing to worry about.

If he is AS, then you should go check yourself out.

If you were SS, you would know by now.

If you have never had malaria before, you might be AS.

Just go get checked.

You are right.

However, i heard of a case in which this beutiful lady who has a mild form of the sickle cell disease which i believe is sickle cell thalasemia. One of her parents was AA and the other was AS. I wonder what happend shocked
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jun 10, 2007
thalassaemia is very different from sickle cell disease. while sickle cell disease results from a specific mutation to the beta chain of hemoglobin, thalasemias could be as a result of mutations in or deletion of one or more of 4 alpha chains and/or one or 2 of the beta chains that encode hemoglobin.
The net effect is the individual generates some abnormal hemoglobin-containing red blood cells thus leading to anaemia/poor oxygen delivery to the tissues.

In most cases, the mild form is prevalent and can be treated with drugs and the patient lives a healthy life.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by Imani(f): 11:13pm On Jun 10, 2007
davidylan:

thalassaemia is very different from sickle cell disease. while sickle cell disease results from a specific mutation to the beta chain of hemoglobin, thalasemias could be as a result of formation or deletion of one or more of 4 alpha chains and/or one or 2 of the beta chains that encode hemoglobin.
The net effect is the individual generates some abnormal hemoglobin-containing red blood cells thus leading to anaemia/poor oxygen delivery to the tissues.

In most cases, the mild form is prevalent and can be treated with drugs and the patient lives a healthy life.

In order words, someone with thalasemia could still be AA or AS right?

Isn't thalassemia not also prevalent in some parts of the Arab world and certain parts of europe such as greece and turkey?
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jun 10, 2007
thalassemia patients could be AA or AS. It doesnt matter.
Unfortunately most of the hemoglobin mutations seem to have a peculiar affinity for africans  undecided

alpha thalasemia is prevalent among africans and some parts of asia
Beta thalasemia is prevalent among africans and sometimes greeks too. Some other race that i forget now.

Wikipedia has a good write up on thalasemic diseases that you can read up if you need some more detailed info.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by Imani(f): 11:22pm On Jun 10, 2007
davidylan:

thalassemia patients could be AA or AS. It doesnt matter.
Unfortunately most of the hemoglobin mutations seem to have a peculiar affinity for africans  undecided

alpha thalasemia is prevalent among africans and some parts of asia
Beta thalasemia is prevalent among africans and sometimes greeks too. Some other race that i forget now.

Wikipedia has a good write up on thalasemic diseases that you can read up if you need some more detailed info.

Thanks for the information.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by squiggz: 4:32pm On Jul 02, 2007
Hi All,

You guys have really thrashed this issue a lot. I particularly respect darkman's practical approach to the situation just as I think abeleon may be taking the issue a little too lightly.

The way I see it, it's not about the couple but the offspring they might bring forth.

I recently got into a relationship with an SS.

I am AA and guess there is not much to worry about as regards our offsprings (if we go that far)

I've been doing some studying about the condition but I need advice: I see us getting serious with this relationship but should I go ahead knowing fully well we'll probably be bringing more AS into this world?

I hope I am not being too cold but I am a practical person.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by dakmanzero(m): 4:47pm On Jul 02, 2007
As an AA, you really are the only logical partner for an SS.

My personal Opinion is that AA+SS is okay.

The only reason I can even have an opinion AT ALL is that MURDER is not involved in this case. All the kids will be AS, but you are not condemning them to death by giving birth.

Also if their mother dies when they are young, it will not be your fault. This is in contrast to AS + AS where the parents bear FULL responsibility for the deaths of their children.

Some people take a hardline stance and say SS should never marry because their children will lose a parent, and there is 100% certainty of all children being carriers. They also say this will speed the eventual demise of sickle cell anaemia.

Personally I say that there is nothing preventing an SS who lives long enough to bear children from enjoying as full a life as their parents' indiscretion would allow. Since marrying will not doom the children to a miserable existence, I do not see why an SS cannot marry and bear children, as long as the person they marry is an AA and nothing less.

If we only block AS+AS, in 2 generations there will be no more sicklers, only carriers, an in the years to come, the AS bloodtype will become a rarity.

You can go ahead, but bear in mind:

a) The kids will have to deal with the issue of AS+AS, for they will all be carriers. (but not sicklers)
b) The kids will likely lose their mother early. But this is the kind of loss that true love should be prepared to bear, in my OPINION. others opinion may vary.

(To clarify: the true love argument still does not apply to AS+AS. THAT IS MURDER. You cant accept the murder of your children becaue of love- that is just perverted)
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by uchetobi(f): 4:58pm On Jul 02, 2007
It’s a serious issue o! My very good friend in school was SS and I know what she goes thru. The sheer agony of not knowing tomorrow. I have an idea of what her parents go thru as well. Even if luv is killing me as I am AS I cant touch an AS guy with a six foot pole
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by moondust(m): 5:25pm On Jul 02, 2007
no can do! If not AA, no Tie ie wink
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by squiggz: 5:39pm On Jul 02, 2007
Thanks darkman

Again, the issue is not really about us but it's about the offspring that might result from our "union"
We can only hope and pray that they will act responsibly in their choice of partners.

On the brighter side we'll have kids that can't be touched by Malaria, the number one killer of children in Africa wink

I understand most SS could expect to live well into their mid fifties and even beyond.

I don't think this would be an issue if we can grow to love each other as much. Yes it's not a good feeling knowing you will be loosing someone close to you but life does not guarantee that you yourself won't be run over by a truck before your partner is gone.

Although the situation is a little more complicated than I've presented it, I believe in God, and look up to him for the final say in this.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by viee(f): 5:56pm On Jul 02, 2007
i have only met one couple that fought this fight and won
my boss during my service year is AS & his wife AS
d gist was that they met during fellowship in camp (NYSC)
started dating, went out for 4yrs
then wanted to marry only to discover that they were both AS
their parents naturally were aganist such union
according to my boss, he & his wife tried to break it as well
but somehow, they cldnt.
after much persuation, their parents agreed
but on a condition that they will adopt

accordn to my boss, they now found refuge in God
he said that they prayed like neva before
he said that it was the most tormenting period of his life
then his wife had the first two kids; a girl, then a boy.
but 2yrs later, she took in again
they immediately thought of abortion
but she was 2months gone and they also felt that it is murder
so they prayed yet again
she delivered anoda AS child

he said that they no longer sleep togther without some protectn
as of that time, he said that his wife will go for permanent birth control.
it was a big story after the 3rd child
bc it sounded like nollywood

though i am very happy for, i wont even take such risk!
not even if d guy is my found missn rib!
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by dakmanzero(m): 7:28am On Jul 03, 2007
@viee

Your boss and his wife are guilty of the worst crimes known to mankind and I hope to God they can redeem themselves before they burn in Hell for the evil they have done.

Just because they played with their childrens' lives and somehow managed not to complete their disgraceful act does not absolve them of responsibility.

I will say no more. Such people make me sick to my stomach. That you could do that to a fellow human being. You throw your children into the lagoon and pray to God that they do not drown. What nonsense. They are worse than murderers because they try to justify it with prayer.

@squiggz

Well, Like I said, It's my opinion that it's okay for an SS to marry if its an AA. But its just my opinion- I can't judge anybody based on that because the facts are still blurry. Let me put it this way- if I was an AA in love with an SS, The only way her blood type would factor in the equation AT ALL, is if SHE decides that it must be so.And even if she does, I'll try my best to convince her that if she is meant to have happiness, nothing, not even what her parents did to her, can take it from her.

I know what its like to be in love with an SS.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by squiggz: 9:58am On Jul 03, 2007
darkman

Once again you have nailed the issue right on the spot. She has given it a lot of thought and her situation is a big issue in her relationships.

Sometimes I think she's doing her best to avoid intimate relationships. She talks about child adoption, questions the marriage institution. She seems to believe she may not be able to carry through a commited relationship.

I see this as an obstacle that should be brought down. Even though I don't know how it will be done, I know she should be made to see that it is possible to have a happy life and a family of your own if you make the right decisions.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by mellow(m): 10:33am On Jul 03, 2007
To sumarize all every body has said, it is not advicabale

and should not be risked. even if you don't care of yourselv

just think of the children you will give bith to. Which one of them

will you like to give to sickle cell. think before you marry. Love

may be blind but I know it is not deaf and dumb.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by omogenaija(f): 12:17am On Jul 04, 2007
@ mellow
well said kiss
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by Nobody: 1:25am On Jul 04, 2007
dakmanzero:

@viee

Your boss and his wife are guilty of the worst crimes known to mankind and I hope to God they can redeem themselves before they burn in Hell for the evil they have done.

Just because they played with their childrens' lives and somehow managed not to complete their disgraceful act does not absolve them of responsibility.

I will say no more. Such people make me sick to my stomach. That you could do that to a fellow human being. You throw your children into the lagoon and pray to God that they do not drown. What nonsense. They are worse than murderers because they try to justify it with prayer.

Quit the act darkman. What is your business with how others choose to live their lives? Afterall whatever kids they have wont be urs neither will they be ur responsibility. The couple above took a calculated risk, they knew what they were going into and i want to believe they were prepared to take care of the conseuquences, thank God who saw and rewarded their faith and deep love for each other. Sometimes we all cant help how our lives turn out. What of children who end up with cases such as turrets syndrome, downs syndrome and other diseases that are most times beyond human control? Would u still label the parents as murderers?

dakmanzero:

@squiggz

Well, Like I said, It's my opinion that it's okay for an SS to marry if its an AA. But its just my opinion- I can't judge anybody based on that because the facts are still blurry. Let me put it this way- if I was an AA in love with an SS, The only way her blood type would factor in the equation AT ALL, is if SHE decides that it must be so.And even if she does, I'll try my best to convince her that if she is meant to have happiness, nothing, not even what her parents did to her, can take it from her.

I know what its like to be in love with an SS.

I dont understand ur logic here. In one breath u refer to parents of SS children as murderers and still feel it is okay for an SS to marry an AA? The lifespan for SS patients usually rarely gets to 40, so u are advocating ur daughter willfully walk into a marriage where she is bound to become a widow at a young age? Have u considered the medical and financial implications? What is the difference between this and a couple that end up with an SS child for no fault of theirs but that they love each other?

Please let us reason before we hyperventilate most times. Put urself in the shoes of those parents, if they had a choice they would choose an AA child over an SS 100% of the time.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by dakmanzero(m): 8:10am On Jul 04, 2007
davidylan:

Quit the act darkman. What is your business with how others choose to live their lives? Afterall whatever kids they have wont be urs neither will they be your responsibility. The couple above took a calculated risk, they knew what they were going into and i want to believe they were prepared to take care of the conseuquences, thank God who saw and rewarded their faith and deep love for each other. Sometimes we all can't help how our lives turn out. What of children who end up with cases such as turrets syndrome, downs syndrome and other diseases that are most times beyond human control? Would u still label the parents as murderers?

'Quit the act'. What the fsckin hell. Already you attack me personally, as is your style.

I previously wrote you off as some sort of troll who gets off on insulting people online, but I'll give you the benefit of doubt here and assume you genuinely do not get my position.

a) When people decide to commit murder, it IS my business. As it is the business of ALL of us who claim to be a part of that society.
b) If you TRULY believe toying with the life of your own flesh and blood without their consent is a 'calculated risk' then you are sick and need mental help. I hope you don't.
c) Take care of the consequences. Yeah, I will take care of the consequences after I blow your brains out with a shotgun. Sound civilized to you?
d) No, we dont thank God for 'rewarding the faith' of the twisted and misguided . We thank him for saving the innocent from their wickedness.
e) Of course not for Gods sake. You have NO CONTROL over those diseases. They just came. No blame. But AS+AS is different. YOU WENT IN WITH YOUR EYES OPEN. If my enemy drops dead beside me it is a whole lot different than if I put a gun to his head and executed him. AS+AS= russian roulette with a four-chambered revolver, on your baby's head, designed to deliver an agonizingly slow death.

I don't understand your logic here. In one breath u refer to parents of SS children as murderers and still feel it is okay for an SS to marry an AA? The lifespan for SS patients usually rarely gets to 40, so u are advocating your daughter willfully walk into a marriage where she is bound to become a widow at a young age? Have u considered the medical and financial implications? What is the difference between this and a couple that end up with an SS child for no fault of theirs but that they love each other?

Please let us reason before we hyperventilate most times. Put yourself in the shoes of those parents, if they had a choice they would choose an AA child over an SS 100% of the time.

My friend. I will take a deep breath here and try my best to suppress an outburst. Please do not confuse issues for the sake of those listening:

1) AS+AS are murderers because they KNOW they have a substantial chance of KILLING their offspring, and they CHOOSE to do it ACTIVELY with AFORETHOUGHT. The only excuse for this is IGNORANCE, and anyone on this board cannot claim that.

2) The SS child is a VICTIM and is NOT suicidal or DECIDING to commit suicide. The PARENTS did it to him/her.

3) I do not condemn AS+AS because of  the financial/stress implications or WHATEVER. I condemn it because it is AN ACT OF MURDER. gambling with the life of an innocent. MARRYING a victim is not MURDER, in fact you may give her the strength to continue in life. If the kids lose their mother, YOU DID NOT KILL THEIR MOTHER. If you didnt marry her, they would never have been born in the first place. It is no-ones fault that HER parents inflicted this on you ALL beforehand. If an armed robber breaks into her house and cripples my fiance by shooting both her kneecaps, am I to blame? Should I leave her because of that? If I do, can I claim to have truly loved her?

4) 'no fault other than that they love each other'. WRONG. If they choose not to marry, or not to have children, it doesnt mean they have to stop loving each other. The FAULT THERE IS GOING AHEAD TO HAVE SEX AND CONCIEVE A CHILD. THAT IS THE FAULT.

Comcieving a child is not a trivial act. Some societies stone people to death for having children out of wedlock. Even worse is using sex, the petty resolution of your animal desires, to condemn your own offspring to death.

I'm sorry, but the AS+AS story is very different from the AA+SS story.

With AS+AS there is no room for opinion. The fact is that it is murder plain and simple. It is not even a grey area like abortion, where the fetus may or may not be alive. SS children are born, and grow to an age where their gruesome, painful DEATHS are very real.

With AA+SS, there is room for opinion. I have nothing against those who say AA+SS must never happen. I also have nothing against those who support AA+SS marriages. And my personal OPINION is that AA+SS is okay if and only if the SS desires it to be so.

For GOD'S SAKE if the above is not clear, please highlight your points of contention. I exerted a huge amount of restraint here, deleting paragraphs of insultive personal attacks and if you reward me with slander as you have done in the past, I'll just cast you aside and ignore you along with the NL club of lunatic trolls.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by squiggz: 10:01am On Jul 04, 2007
It remains a mystery to me that some people just do not get it! angry

AS+AS marriages is not about you and your partner. It's about your offspring. Why would you want to bring a child into this world only for the child to live a life of pain? I think life is difficult enough as it is without the extra burden that comes with being an SS.

@davidylan
I hope that with the benefit of hindsight you would have seen the flaws in your argument/comments.

When you say "thank God who saw and rewarded their faith and deep love for each other" I hope you also know that God allows for action and consequences, if you go out into the rain you get wet,

It is a well known fact that AS+AS marriages has a very high probability to produce SS offspring.

The parents of an SS child CANNOT "take care of the conseuquences" they can't stop the pain, or the crises, or the difficult relationships, or the short life expectancy. No they cannot.

The point is we should act responsibly and do what is necessary to help avoid the proliferation of the SS genotype
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jul 04, 2007
lol at darkmanzero, rather than hyperventilating why dont you go and prosecute the family in question. Such a tool, no i dont get off insulting people rather it is YOU who do! Read my post again, no where did i use a single word of insult to you and yet you call me a troll? so much for a hypocrite!

I will not respond to the rest of ur muffled garbage because unlike you i have had the wonderful priviledge of being friends with a number of SS kids and they dont spout this thrash about their parents! My mom was a personal physician to one of them and i doubt if the family will take kindly to ur refering to them as a murderer for a circumstance beyond their control

I'd rather respond to a decent individual, perhaps u can pick a few nuggets and do much better than yelling "bleeping hell" when funny enough u've never been anywhere close to an airport. And oh most americans i know will raise an eyebrow at someone who uses swear words so easily.

squiggz:

@davidylan
I hope that with the benefit of hindsight you would have seen the flaws in your argument/comments.

When you say "thank God who saw and rewarded their faith and deep love for each other" I hope you also know that God allows for action and consequences, if you go out into the rain you get wet,

Dear, who are we to accuse a couple who choose to put their faith in God and go ahead with their marriage:
a. believing that God will spare them the agony of an SS child
b. ready to take responsibility for the child if they do end up with one.

squiggz:

It is a well known fact that AS+AS marriages has a very high probability to produce SS offspring.

The parents of an SS child CANNOT "take care of the conseuquences" they can't stop the pain, or the crises, or the difficult relationships, or the short life expectancy. No they cannot.

Who are you to sit here and judge the parents of an SS child from behind ur computer? I know an SS child whose father was a professor in my school and his mum is presently the head at a top hospital in Nigeria. The boy is doing great now and lives in Scotland while the rest of you hyperventilate and refer to his parents as murderers!

Who told you they couldnt take care of their child? where you there? have you ever been in the shoes of an SS child?

squiggz:

The point is we should act responsibly and do what is necessary to help avoid the proliferation of the SS genotype

yes but what we dont have a choice? What of parents who are not educated enough to know these things you know?
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by squiggz: 10:10am On Jul 05, 2007
I want to believe that no one on this forum would be willing to take the chance of an AS+AS union. Quite frankly I think it's selfish for anyone to enter into such "ventures". I believe in LOVE and I believe it's so much more intense when you consider the issues around unions involving AS or SS.

But the point still remains that the offspring bear the consequences

@davidylan

Dear, who are we to accuse a couple who choose to put their faith in God and go ahead with their marriage:
a. believing that God will spare them the agony of an SS child
b. ready to take responsibility for the child if they do end up with one

I accuse no one! I state the facts only.

Who are you to sit here and judge the parents of an SS child from behind your computer? I know an SS child whose father was a professor in my school and his mum is presently the head at a top hospital in Nigeria. The boy is doing great now and lives in Scotland while the rest of you hyperventilate and refer to his parents as murderers!

Who told you they couldnt take care of their child? where you there? have you ever been in the shoes of an SS child?

I judge no one!
When I say that the parents cannot take care of the consequences I didn't mean that they can't  afford the best medical treatment for their kids, what I meant is the kids are the ones to live with being an SS. Again we are not talking specifics here. For the cases you sited we can only say "what is done is done" but going forward, I want to say that no one should take the "risk" of bringing in another SS into this world.

If you talk about LOVE, I don't believe that all LOVE relationships should end up in marriages, some are so much stronger without the "complications" that marriage may introduce. Besides if the love is strong enough it should be prepared to make sacrifices such as not entering into a union that will make another (innocent) individual suffer the pains of being an SS

yes but what we don't have a choice? What of parents who are not educated enough to know these things you know?

For those of us that do know should we not act responsibly and if possible do something about the ignorance of others?
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by dakmanzero(m): 8:52am On Jul 07, 2007
@dd

Typical. I expect nothing less from YOU. And to think I once thought you were going through a bad time. Seems like this is the real you afterall.

Since you have nothing sensible to say, you simply ignored the facts and proceeded to run your mouth like the empty barrel you are.

Since you have chosen to ignore the issues, I shall simply neglect to press them further. Those who have brains in their heads obviously understand what I'm saying, and unless you can properly refute my points, they stand unchallenged.

@squiggz

Be very very careful about responding to Davidylan. I suggest you go and check his posting history to make sure you *really* want to argue any topic with him. If you continue to feed him with responses, he will turn this thread into an endless argument riddled with personal insults and braindead arguments. I'm not slandering him- the proof is there. we *all* have posting histories on Nairaland that are public and easy for anyone to see. Just tak a look and judge for yourself.

If you feel you can have a rational discussion with him, you are welcome to try. Afterall, he called you 'Dear', maybe he has a soft spot for you?
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jul 07, 2007
dakmanzero:

@dd

Typical. I expect nothing less from YOU. And to think I once thought you were going through a bad time. Seems like this is the real you afterall.

Since you have nothing sensible to say, you simply ignored the facts and proceeded to run your mouth like the empty barrel you are.

Since you have chosen to ignore the issues, I shall simply neglect to press them further. Those who have brains in their heads obviously understand what I'm saying, and unless you can properly refute my points, they stand unchallenged.

What a tool. Just look at the posts and it is clear who stands accused of using insults. Poor you, there are NO "issues" to discuss. this thread died a long time ago until an ignorant fellow like you who understands naught of the medical factors behind sickle cell disease chose to start exhibiting verbal diarrhoea accusing parents of SS patients of being murderers.

Sorry dear, i have family friends with the disease who have wonderful parents. Until you put urself in their shoes you have no case. Keep trying to pretend that you are actually smart when you are not. I will not continue on this thread with u because it is pointless trying to have a discuss with someone who talks first before thinking. Have a good day.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by omoge(f): 3:33pm On Jul 07, 2007
well, my parents had 2 SS kids. both are no longer living now. the first died at abt 2years. the other died when she was 13years old. we were able to figure it out based on same crisis with the second that the first one was a sickler (but never documented or known to my family) the first one my parents weren't aware she was SS. but the next one my parents knew right away. an oyinbo delivered my mom in the military hosp back then and immediately she was born, was able to tell my mom you baby is SS. I guess she lived longer cuz we knew earlier. I remember her all the time, RIP.

Now i have a friend whose parents gave birth to 10 children. None SS but my friend is a carrier am sure the rest too are carriers.

Well, if anyone decides stop a relationship cuz of they are carrier, that's their decision. chances are you may not have an SS child. but then many in nigeria are carriers. Now you just want to be dropping your relationships cuz each of your partner are AS?

enlighten me here
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 07, 2007
@viee

@ omoge
That is what ignorant people like dakmanzero think of your parents
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by mellow(m): 7:11am On Jul 10, 2007
We have all unanimousle spoken.

He that hsa ear to hear let him hear

what Nairalanders are saying.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by crazyp(f): 12:31pm On Jul 10, 2007
Pls lets be wise in our doings, how would u feel knowing that each child u bear may die young cos he/she is a carrier?
I hv a sister that is one & during the peiod of her crisis, its usually a sad moment for everyone,
pls it doesnt really worth it, if u cant separate, adopt kids pls lipsrsealed
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by AdeniyiG(m): 7:01pm On Jul 18, 2007
Well I dnt see the problem of gynotype as you people are looking at it. If we look at the population of this country as at now, all of us can not be AA or ratio of AA genotype might be very low to other gynotype.

Let take into consideration, the issue of AA very well, medically are you people telling me that AA is also that free. I dont think so. There some cases that AA might withstand like others.

A research carried out at National Institute of Occupational Health. DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark and Institute of Preventive Medicine, Kommunehospitalet. DK-1399 Copenhagen, Denmark on Correlations with Risk and Age at Onset of Basal Cell Carcinoma proved that two alleles AA were at high risk than AC and CC genotype.

I will cont later
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by dollyshow(f): 6:12am On Sep 05, 2007
Sickle Cell, I really pray for those who are SS that the Lord will lay His power of healing upon them.
and I pray none of ur parents shall weep over u in JESUS NAME.
It s a tough one but I think its best to do all these genotype , blood group tests before getting married so as to avoid unneccessary anxiety, worries and untimely death.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by seidy(f): 6:44pm On Sep 06, 2007
Hi ,
Has anybody ever heard of the 'Ac' & 'Sc' genotype? Heard they are both of the sickle-cell trait, can any doctor in the house substantiate this
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue by snairegin(m): 1:56am On Sep 07, 2007
I think i have a lot of experience with the whole sickle cell issue and can relate to a lot of do's and dont's & give my own honest & spiritual belief to the whole issue.

God is a father of choices, if u have genuine love & honesty with each other , u should be together. Any doubt in your love or ability to stay together, move on and seperate peacefully. Although, i feel that you should always tell all genetic traits, interests, values etc as early as possible.

My sweet/ sad story,
Was in a relationship for 5 and a half years, the last 4yrs living together with the intention of getting married (literarily saving & advancing our careers to pay for a wedding ourselves), parents told me to check her genotype, told them that she had it done in nigeria and she's not sure of accuracy, but recalls it being AA

Told my parents that we would deal with all circumstances when it arises, how stupid i was to trust someone else other than God.

An SS cousin came on holiday (having wealthy parents with dad being a doctor) and died back in nigeria a week after. It prompted her to retest & she turned to be AS as well.
Her family & friends auto switched off & insisted we part , months after, she decided that she had to move on as we disagreed on the important topic,
What to do if the 25% chance occurs?, she wanted to keep at all costs with tears (optimistic), i wanted a test and abort( realist), our families wanted us to part at all costs( pessimist),

My personal view, if u both love each other & are perfect for each other, pain , suffering , difficult decisions, life's challenges would make u stronger each time,
If u both like each other a lot but not love, or one loves and the other doesn't, u should part ways.

AA+ SS, just prepare yourself in the worst of times for your hubby's passing & agree next steps, will, moving on etc, be smart with each other not stupid

AS+SS, dont u dare
AS+AS, only if your love is strong enough, personally, i believe medical science is meant to guide our choices rather than be a definite for choices,

Take for example, my ex marries an AA, but the first kid or one of them is diagnosed early with downes syndrome or some serious mental/physical defect, would she not be faced with the same problem?
If she keeps the baby with the second best man,she would struggle ,
If she takes a doc's advice of not keeping the baby, aborting would make her remember me,
If she learns of a medical breakthrough in 10 years time or the hubby turns into a monster, she would definately remember me

A woman has a bigger chance of a miscarriage nowadays in the western world than problems after an abortion

God is Love and love is , SELFLESSNESS
, SACRIFICE
, COMMITMENT and finally
, CONTEMPT

God never intends for us to settle for second best , stop the relationship as early as possible but if there is true love and agreed values, stay together

As for me, the next partner has to have same values, love GOD, love me and DOESNT HAVE TO BE AA or even african, as there would always be something in life that would make us all imperfect, challenges to face , bad habits to live with sacrifices to make

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lockdown: Lagos Government Donates Food Items To Residents / Pregnant Woman Loses Baby, Womb Cut Off As Fake Nurse Attempts Delivery / Jide Smith-Aruba Reveals He's HIV Positive On Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.