Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,962 members, 7,806,783 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

The Old Lagos In Pictures - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Old Lagos In Pictures (40769 Views)

Differences Between The Old And New Budget 2016 / Igbo Man's Tomato Company In Lagos In Trouble, Moving To Sokoto. Lol / Obasanjo Tears PDP Membership Card In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by MeGaStReEt: 11:19am On Feb 08, 2012
what went wrong?
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by TonySpike: 11:23am On Feb 08, 2012
I found more beautiful pictures:

1. Independence square, Lagos

2. An aerial view of Old Lagos

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by gReenmAn(m): 11:29am On Feb 08, 2012
Mehnn, these pictures vividly paint the story of our retrogression as a nation.
One could almost feel the calmness and serenity in those pictures; glaringly devoid of our modern day crazy hussle and bustle of city life.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by OnlyRebel: 11:29am On Feb 08, 2012
The military incursion through the coup of 1966 distroy the nation. And the ill-conceived and ill-fated Biafra war.

2 Likes

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by TonySpike: 11:35am On Feb 08, 2012
Another set of Pictures:

1. This around the Lagos Cathedral, can anyone notice the sand (or dirts) on both sides of the roads? it appears the decay had started setting in. I can deduce that this may be some time in the 70's.

2. This is an unknown location in undeveloped Lagos

1 Like

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by hardbody: 11:37am On Feb 08, 2012
I am feeling nolstalgic over a time period that i was not even about to be concieved yet. That says a lot about the beauty and peace of the master pieces. I so miss the period under consideration here. It is soooo beautiful i could almost cry, lol
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Reference(m): 11:51am On Feb 08, 2012
Tony Spike:

The eviction of our white colonial masters in 1960 was really ill-timed in a way. It appears their departure created a vacuum which led to a massive deterioration in our societal, economic and evidently, our thought process. There is no better way to say this,  

smiley smiley smiley Times change indeed. See how clean the streets were even where you see hawkers and street markets. Though there was not a better time to gain indepedence the evidence today suggests that it was not out of deep thought and proper planning just as the nationalisation that swept the land in the Murtala and OBJ seventies. When you look at the Kingsway's and Leventies' which our people looted, mismanaged and ultimately crashed to be replaced with their own their own shanty street side shacks selling fake and substandard goods you will reaslise something is basically wrong here moreso when you consider the widespread rejoicing at the opening of the Alausa Mall late last year. Today we cry out for foreign investors and beg the same people we kicked out just a few decades ago but alas who answers our calls - China, India, Lebanon (with all due respect) and even South Africa on the back of the fact that the investments they make today in our economy are essentially 'white' driven.

Yes, they were a bit more careful no to throw the baby out with the bath water. I am yet to see a black nation do the same to another, but I have to be careful here and shut my gob because the way we are going in Nigeria our biggest investor in a few decades may be Ghana. Now that will really set the cat among the pigeons of our natinal pride and psyche seeing the child growing to nurse the nanny.

1 Like

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Reference(m): 11:57am On Feb 08, 2012
sammirano:

it is because the white likes cleanliness and Nigeria government loves dirt.

grin grin grin grin Chei, Nigerians. grin grin grin Ostrich farmers.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by sheyee(m): 12:01pm On Feb 08, 2012
This is lagos in its first glory, is nothing to be compared to what is now, just feel like crying

1 Like

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by dljbd1(m): 12:06pm On Feb 08, 2012
these pix r really touchy,

1 Like

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by sheyee(m): 12:08pm On Feb 08, 2012
This is lagos in its first glory, is nothing to be compared to what is now, just feel like crying
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Sholaf(f): 12:11pm On Feb 08, 2012
Tony Spike:

Another set of Pictures:

1. This around the Lagos Cathedral, can anyone notice the sand (or dirts) on both sides of the roads? it appears the decay had started setting in. I can deduce that this may be some time in the 70's.

2. This is an unknown location in undeveloped Lagos

The 2nd pic is Mcnell Road Yaba.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Ezeufi: 12:14pm On Feb 08, 2012
what went wrong?

ibos invaded angry and they're the best in creating chaos out of order. May be thats why the northeners want to send them packing

1 Like

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by alkanes1(m): 12:18pm On Feb 08, 2012
I can't believe that was Lagos.hmmn
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by hardbody: 12:38pm On Feb 08, 2012
@Ezeufi, i am sure u could do a lot better than that. Correct me if i am wrong, there were no Igbos in Lagos in that golden era? Think first, articulate ur thots and then put it down in a comprehensible and equitable manner. There is really no justification in trying to turn every topic into an ethnic bashing. Just my perception.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Sunny659(m): 12:43pm On Feb 08, 2012
Hey Guys, lovely pictures , would appreciate if you can send them to me at sunnysudi@yahoo.com
Thanks
Sunny
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Sunny659(m): 12:43pm On Feb 08, 2012
Hey Guys, lovely pictures , would appreciate if you can send them to me at sunnysudi@yahoo.com
Thanks
Sunny
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Nobody: 12:49pm On Feb 08, 2012
i swearigad i don dey imagine make i see my sef for that pishure come get the kine sense wey omo boy get now join Kaiaaaa naija don wound finish ooo * looking for My Alawiye Yoruba book* Ade jeun Aaa A oo Ba jee. wink
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Tokotaya: 12:53pm On Feb 08, 2012
Many thanks to the OP and others who have contributed to this wonderful thread. Good to know what has been and compare with what is. Kudos all.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Rhino4dm: 1:08pm On Feb 08, 2012
just "Right click" on the picture and then "Save As",.

Sunny659:

Thanks
Sunny

1 Like

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by hildaa(f): 1:26pm On Feb 08, 2012
nice pics
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by makizee(m): 1:29pm On Feb 08, 2012
The funny thing is that old papa use to tell me that in those days, in some arear in Lagos, Whites out numbered the Indingoes then, the political Instabilities of the mid sixties drove away our Nigerian born oyinbo's who did not even consider themselves british but Nigerian but as Biafra war come start they went back to their country of Baba and mama origin

2 Likes

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by wewe1(m): 1:38pm On Feb 08, 2012
What went wrong Where did we missed it as a nation? Beautiful pictures!
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Nobody: 2:34pm On Feb 08, 2012
A reason I would ascribe to the degradation is that the population started growing at a rate that was not commensurate with the facilities/amenities available. hence, degradation and dilapidation was imminent. Also, although secondary, one cannot rule out the impact of un-monitored industrialization and adequate planning. More vehicles, more people, more houses, more businesses, all of which have sprung at rates unparalleled to the general structure they were to occupy. It can still be done, we can still restore the former glory once known. Its all about making a conscious effort.

1 Like

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by UyiIredia(m): 2:52pm On Feb 08, 2012
I'm okay with my life in Lagos as it is now. Imagine no BB! Sheesh!
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by chiama1: 3:17pm On Feb 08, 2012
Kai good old days sad
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by visalo: 3:21pm On Feb 08, 2012
oh my God
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Pennywise(m): 3:38pm On Feb 08, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

I'm okay with my life in Lagos as it is now. Imagine no BB! Sheesh!

No DSTV. Cant browse. Your flirting opportunity is limited to your immediate neighbourhood rather than the global advantage that u currently have. Much better quality babes who appreciate what u want etc. Its a great life. Too much we take for granted. 2-3 generations down the road our kids will still laugh at these things we presently hold dear. That is life.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by mamagee3(f): 3:51pm On Feb 08, 2012
I think I prefer the old lagos!!!

Looks more civilized than the present day lagos.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Afam4eva(m): 3:59pm On Feb 08, 2012
mama-gee:

I think I prefer the old lagos!!!

Looks more civilized than the present day lagos.

Quite ironic. What i like about the old lagos is it's relative tranquility and orderliness.
Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Nobody: 4:24pm On Feb 08, 2012
ibos invaded and they're the best in creating chaos out of order. May be thats why the northeners want to send them packing

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The only way for my Lagos (yeah, I'm an Epe youth by ancestry) can get its lost glory back is to send all the other dirt carrying tribes back to their home state, We need to reduce the population by 50% - and make sure no uncivilized village guy/woman is allowed to settle in Lagos

I hope someone will do that one day

You dirt carry people (I'm not a tribalist and I'm not talking about a peculiar tribe) need to go back to your home state - Lagos is not the capital of Nigeria, go to Abuja if want a better life

If I ever become the Mayor of Lagos, half of Lagos population would be deported to their home state within a year

2 Likes

Re: The Old Lagos In Pictures by Nobody: 4:38pm On Feb 08, 2012
It's a pity I never saw this beautiful Lagos!

I think Nigerian leaders can a learn a thing or two about maintenance from the Anglo-saxons

Future plans for Lagos
Population reduction, and it MUST be: 50% indigenous people; 30% other Yoruba tribes; and 20% to the other Nigeria tribes

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Olamide Wants Ambode As Governor For Another Four Years / Miyetti Allah Alleges Murder Of Fulani Leader, Wakili / PDP Loyalist In Rivers State Forced To Renounce Atiku At Gunpoint (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.