Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,457 members, 7,808,630 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:30 PM

Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers (11158 Views)

How does this payment system work? / Question Abt Bash / Any DBA Here? I Realy Need Your Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by fdigital(m): 11:14pm On Feb 08, 2012

1 Like

Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by Fayimora(m): 10:19pm On Feb 09, 2012
Hahahaha thats a lie
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by lordZOUGA(m): 7:31am On Feb 10, 2012
hehehehe?, Slightly true
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by Nobody: 8:20am On Feb 10, 2012
Very very true. Lotsa programmers fall into that category. The real programmers code as a way of life - but this is the jeun soke generation - things are shanging.
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by dellnet: 11:59am On Feb 10, 2012
somewhat true. some programmers the only thing that keep them away from computer is sleep. about the money part programming is not easy.
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by csharpjava(m): 1:16pm On Feb 10, 2012
Something that is now happening is that even non programmers cannot stay away from a computer with internet connect, so the chatty people who has nothing else to do than chat all day, who use to laugh at programmers, don't have a life anymore thenselves as they cannot stay away from the internet.

There is a difference between a programmer and a professional programmer. A professional programmer is one that have studied Software Engineering or Computer science while a programmer can be anyone who just picks up a book learn some syntax and then call themself a programmer.
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by delomos(m): 4:09pm On Feb 10, 2012
@csharpjava
csharpjava:

There is a difference between a programmer and a professional programmer. A professional programmer is one that have studied Software Engineering or Computer science while a programmer can be anyone who just picks up a book learn some syntax and then call themself a programmer.

A way to start a serious argument and derail the thread, for starters, definition(s) of professional >> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/professional
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by csharpjava(m): 5:24pm On Feb 10, 2012
delomos:

@csharpjava
A way to start a serious argument and derail the thread, for starters, definition(s) of professional >> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/professional

I only used the word professional programmer to differentiate between the two. Though programmers are not regulated like Doctors, Lawyers etc, but with the way IT is going Software Engineers and Computer Scientist may be regulated in the future. Read this: Time to regulate the software industry? I only made my comment to help those who may feel that becoming a programmer is rewarding anymore.
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by delomos(m): 5:43pm On Feb 10, 2012
Software Engineering: is the application of a systematic, disciplined, quantifiable approach to the development, operation, and maintenance of software, and the study of these approaches; that is, the application of engineering to software. (wikipedia)
Computer Science: [/i]designates the scientific and mathematical approach in information technology and computing. A computer scientist is a person who does work at a professional level in computer science. (wikipedia)
[i]Programmer
is someone who writes computer software. (wikipedia)

That was an interesting article, but it's talking of regulating the "industry." Which, if you followed the US's recent SOPA issues (Jan 18th internet black-out), that will be a serious uphill battle. (ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act)

And by the above definition, you and I can agree that the 3 could refer to exclusive 3 people. Most Software Engineers happen to be programmers, and some other programmer care less about the industry of "software" -- and even lesser work in the [theoretical] computer science field.
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by Nobody: 6:43pm On Feb 10, 2012
delomos:

And by the above definition, you and I can agree that the 3 could refer to exclusive 3 people. Most Software Engineers happen to be programmers, and some other programmer care less about the industry of "software" -- and even lesser work in the [theoretical] computer science field.

But to an employer a programmer is someone that has a background in Software Engineering or Computer Science.
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by delomos(m): 8:35pm On Feb 10, 2012
MrBible:

But to an employer a programmer is someone that has a background in Software Engineering or Computer Science.

Depends on who you're talking to, and what role you will be in ,
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by Beaf: 9:17pm On Feb 10, 2012
You see nau! fdigital is right, una no get life at all. Imagine turning a humorous thread into an argument about industry regulations, Software Engineering or Computer Science!
Choi! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by Nobody: 10:04pm On Feb 10, 2012
Me I've made an appointment with a shrink. Hi I'm Simon, and I'm addicted to my laptop and my BlackBerry. Right now I'm typing with one hand, and operating my phone with the other. Save me!
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by Mobinga: 1:44am On Feb 11, 2012
Haha.

Even the robber had to shed a tear for the programmer. cry
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by ijigbamigb(m): 2:08pm On Feb 12, 2012
sad
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by highland(m): 2:12pm On Feb 12, 2012
Programmers are millionaires if you no your book well.
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by freecocoa(f): 2:13pm On Feb 12, 2012
;d ;d ;d
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by newbie2012: 2:17pm On Feb 12, 2012
the width of one hardback book is 17 millimeters. how many books will fit on a shelf that is 34 centimeters long?
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by Ojobojo1(m): 2:30pm On Feb 12, 2012
See all these olodos,do you know seun is a programmer,he is a multimillionaire and he doesnt spend much on this site,luk at steve jobs,bill gates, mark zuckerberg and many more.dyu know a 15yr old boy made a million dollars by developing a farting software for apple as in everything if ure a good programmer money de if nt sori,also depends on what language you use.
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by chmod777: 2:37pm On Feb 12, 2012
[size=14pt]Point of correction to all.
Career is different from degree.
A NASA astronaut in an interview on the International space station said " I am an engineer by education, but a cosmonaut by profession" does this make sense to you ALL

Then, please every environment has its unique xteristics. To say programmers are poor means you are not well informed. In some countries, they are among the most employed and high class citizens, just like in some countries when someone is employed by SHELL/Chevron/Parliament, then they are considered super rich.

I have been in different parts of the world and no condition is pervasive. In some countries farmers are gods.

Now look at where you live and find out what sales, goodluck
[/size]
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by jspac(m): 2:37pm On Feb 12, 2012
angry We all know thats not true,pretty funny though grin
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by newbie2012: 2:38pm On Feb 12, 2012
the width of one hardback book is 17 millimeters. how many books will fit on a shelf that is 34 centimeters long?
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by paulo882: 3:27pm On Feb 12, 2012
Very humorous joke indeed.

Well we all know programming is one of the highly paid professions in developed countries and some developing countries. I know some programmers working in financial hubs like London and Zurich that get as much as 1000 euros/day. If you are lucky to come up with a fantastic product like Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs or Bill gates did, then the sky is your limit in terms of financial rewards.

A lot of programmers these days are quite sociable unlike decades ago when some programmers used to lock themselves up in the basement of the flat writing code for the next ground breaking software.

@MrBible, Software Engineering and Programming are both branches of Computer Science. A Software Engineer by their profession deals with managing all the processes involved software development, from architecting the system, requirements gathering  to project managing it etc but has nothing to do with writing the actual software, that's the job of a programmer. So they are two different things. I would think employers would prefer a programmer with computer science instead of Software Engineering because a computer science graduate has had more hands on experience with coding than their Software Engineering counterpart. That's my take.
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by delomos(m): 3:40pm On Feb 12, 2012
paulo882:

@MrBible, Software Engineering and Programming are both branches of Computer Science. A Software Engineer by their profession deals with managing all the processes involved software development, from architecting the system, requirements gathering  to project managing it etc but has nothing to do with writing the actual software, that's the job of a programmer. So they are two different things. I would think employers would prefer a programmer with computer science instead of Software Engineering because a computer science graduate has had more hands on experience with coding than their Software Engineering counterpart. That's my take.
^^^^
ahhhh, so refreshing , I feel just finished a bowl of eba and egusi soup, maybe I just did actually.
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by Ebenkay: 3:48pm On Feb 12, 2012
not only dose dat study computer science or software engineering ar programmers bt al dose dat decide 2 do study in it and develope diaselves in it. If u ar a programmer, u ll know that most times in writing codes it takes time.
U ll enjoy the steps and will not want to quit.
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by prodam(m): 3:59pm On Feb 12, 2012
@Paulo, am inspired,

my opinion is this: it may be true of programmers of yesterday but modern programmers are making a whole lot of money from programming,
as u can see, here is the new 360k Blackberry Porsche, made by who?how much was the highest cost of IT-driven device back then, meeen, today i received my balance of 20k from one of my client here in Ilorin after creating a website for his corporate laundry business, next week another guy frm Lag is coming again, but real money, i mean more money is easy to make in developed country, after service am moving up to saudi-arabia or india
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by paulo882: 4:08pm On Feb 12, 2012
@csharpjava, professional programmers (those who studied computer science) and  programmers ( self thought) don't matter these days, what counts most in the IT industry is your experience  and ability to use them to solve highly complex business problems in a very cost effective manner. Once you can do this and you are able to sell yourself in the right way, then you will get the best opportunities in IT, doesn't matter you have a degree or not.

Between, I am degree holder in Multimedia Computing from a UK University but it doesn't make me more of a programmer than a self thought programmer, what determines that is my ability to do the things I mentioned above. Getting a degree is one thing,being able to apply what you learnt in a commercial environment in a gainful and meaningful way is a completely different ball game.
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by FEMARY1: 4:18pm On Feb 12, 2012
Computer Science or Software Engineering or Programming---What are they all doing?---Developing Softwares,period!!!

Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by dammytosh: 4:26pm On Feb 12, 2012
PROGRAMMER ?

LIFE === NO

MONEY === YES

OTHERWISE === NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by paulo882: 4:39pm On Feb 12, 2012
dammytosh:

PROGRAMMER ?

LIFE ===  NO

MONEY === YES

OTHERWISE === NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

LIFE === YES
MONEY === YES
OTHERWISE === MOST REWARDING PROFESSION EVER

I can lay in comfort on a beach in the  Bahamas in my beach shorts with my macbook remotely connected to my office in London and doing my job, where as you stay in a cramped up office somewhere in Europe or America shivering in subzero temperatures :-) . That's how rewarding this profession is, I can practically be travelling around the world living life to the fullest and still doing my job and getting paid lots of money :-)
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by paulo882: 4:41pm On Feb 12, 2012
Plus I can get work in almost any part of the world
Re: Humour: Does This Realy Say's Truth Abt Programmers by dammytosh: 4:45pm On Feb 12, 2012
paulo882:

Plus I can get work in almost any part of the world

Lol I feel you the fact that when you are at vacation, ur mac pro must be with u makes LIFE a capital NO, That u can afford to stay at the beach all day in bahamas makes money TRUE.

I am a programmer too and i have not slept in my crib for days. I guess you know why. But Saying I Gat No Money, is damn false. Not too much though, but enough to make some people feel oppressed grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Python Programmers Lets Meet Here!!! / Should A Programmer Marry A Programmer? / Team Humane App For The Blind Wins Microsoft Imagine Cup Nigeria 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.