Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,430 members, 7,808,535 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:11 PM

Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don (12358 Views)

Only 17,935 Scale Through UNILAG Post-utme / IGNORE All 2023 WAEC, NECO, UTME Score Upgrade And Admission Assistance Threads / Only 17 Students Passed Waec And Neco In Gombe State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by Demdem(m): 8:24am On Feb 09, 2012
The Chairman of the Governing Council of the Bauchi State University, Prof. Ango Abdullahi, said only 17, out of the 18,000 secondary school students who sat for the National Examination Council examinations in Gombe State, earned qualification for university admission.

Adbullahi said this when he paid a courtesy visit to the management of the Tertiary Education Trust Fund, in Abuja, on Wednesday.

He decried the poor state of secondary education, especially in northern Nigeria.

This, he said, compelled him to write a personal letter to the Minister of Education.

Abdullahi said, "I sat with the governor and we were really belly-aching about the state of secondary education and he confessed to me that they forwarded 18,000 students for NECO and WAEC examinations but only 17 got university (admission) qualification."

Earlier, Bauchi State Governor Isa Yuguda said government and the private sector must collaborate to rescue the Nigeria education sector from collapse.

He said the burden of educating an ever increasing population was too much for government alone to bear.

This, he said, was because there were other competing needs which put a strain on government's lean resources.

The governor, who led members of the governing council of the BASU to TETFUND, said their mission was to request that the university be listed among beneficiaries of funds disbursed by the intervention agency.

Yuguda said, "The Bauchi State University is a growing concern and my administration is determined to provide it the basic infrastructure for it to stand on its feet."

http://www.nigerianeye.com/2012/02/only-17-students-passed-waec-neco-in.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Nigerianeye+%28NigerianEye%29
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by ektbear: 8:30am On Feb 09, 2012
17 of 18,000?

How many sat for these exams elsewhere?

What is a reasonable pass rate?

Surely there is a typo of some sort here.
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by efisher(m): 8:36am On Feb 09, 2012
SHAME! I won't be surprised if those 17 are from the south. Dumbass almajiris. angry

1 Like

Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by Demdem(m): 8:38am On Feb 09, 2012
ekt_bear:

17 of 18,000?

How many sat for these exams elsewhere?

What is a reasonable pass rate?

Surely there is a typo of some sort here.

I see no typo here bro. check out the first paragraph again.

Demdem:

The Chairman of the Governing Council of the Bauchi State University, Prof. Ango Abdullahi, said only 17, out of the 18,000 secondary school students who sat for the National Examination Council examinations in Gombe State, earned qualification for university admission.

Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by ektbear: 8:40am On Feb 09, 2012
Before we condemn, what is the rate elsewhere?

I thought it is roughly 20%. . . like 200,000 spots in university available in the country, roughly 1 million or so taking JAMB? (Obviously me extrapolating from JAMB rates to WAEC pass rates is probably very wrong, so hopefully someone can come up with the real #s.)

I still don't think the blame should fall on the students (well, not all of it.)

Something is wrong with the entire society.

From the students, to their parents, to the teachers, to the schools, to the government of Gombe State.
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by ektbear: 8:46am On Feb 09, 2012
Demdem:

I see no typo here bro. check out the first paragraph again.

Then it is a puzzling #.

17 students passing an exam, in an entire state? You should produce several times that number in a single individual school, not to talk of a local government, not to talk of a state!

It is as if you are telling me that someone can breath under water, or has gone without food for 3 years. Just seems impossible.

I'm surprised.
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by Demdem(m): 8:49am On Feb 09, 2012
ekt_bear:

Before we condemn, what is the rate elsewhere?

I thought it is roughly 20%. . . like 200,000 spots in university available in the country, roughly 1 million or so taking JAMB? (Obviously me extrapolating from JAMB rates to WAEC pass rates is probably very wrong, so hopefully someone can come up with the real #s.)

I still don't think the blame should fall on the students (well, not all of it.)

Something is wrong with the entire society.

From the students, to their parents, to the teachers, to the schools, to the government of Gombe State.

I completely agree with you. The students themselves will be the last set of peeps i will blame. The bulk i will heap on the govt. are teachers available? what about the facilities for conducive learning? a lot of things are wrong no doubt and how well are the parents themselves fairing over their wards?
i may not have the rate elsewhere now but i'm sure it wouldnt be this low. its unfortunate.
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by Demdem(m): 8:52am On Feb 09, 2012
ekt_bear:

Then it is a puzzling #.

17 students passing an exam, in an entire state? You should produce several times that number in a single individual school, not to talk of a local government, not to talk of a state!

It is as if you are telling me that someone can breath under water, or has gone without food for 3 years. Just seems impossible.

I'm surprised.

Well, based on the report, the governor seems to say its true.

Demdem:

Abdullahi said, "I sat with the governor and we were really belly-aching about the state of secondary education and he confessed to me that they forwarded 18,000 students for NECO and WAEC examinations but only 17 got university (admission) qualification."

Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by Afam4eva(m): 8:54am On Feb 09, 2012
Is Gombe the name of a local government. 17 is even small for a local municipality. What a shame.
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by Demdem(m): 8:55am On Feb 09, 2012
The truth is we tend to focus more on the southern states and few places here on nairaland not knowing what may be going on in so many other places especially in the north like Gombe, Jigawa, Kebbi, Zamfara even in states like Ebonyi.
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by success4(m): 8:59am On Feb 09, 2012
If it were to be on suicide bomb, they would have had 98% pass rate
but for exam they have 0.09% pass rate shocked shocked shocked
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by Knight1(m): 9:06am On Feb 09, 2012
and five years from now, they'll be demanding quota for NNPC employment angry
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by Baawaa(m): 9:07am On Feb 09, 2012
Don't blame the student,the ministry has a lot to do.Their teachers also needs training.
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by Samystyler: 9:16am On Feb 09, 2012
is gombe a state in nigeria? thats gud 4 dem, wen dey wil kill all the coppers sent there to help them. who will handle the chalk board now that boko haram is after edu etc
na all this kind news dey make boko haram dey para!!!!

1 Like

Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by Nobody: 9:19am On Feb 09, 2012
yet they will kill corpers (who are teaching them for next to free) because she caught them using koran to carry expo! angry

1 Like

Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by egtl: 9:23am On Feb 09, 2012
while would them pass when a ll their thinking is to become boko haram to kill innocent souls. jst imagine 17 students in an entire state, pls NYSC dont send our children as corpers to dat state for them to killed ooooooooooooooh.
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by 1Dray(m): 9:25am On Feb 09, 2012
Demdem:

The truth is we tend to focus more on the southern states and few places here on nairaland not knowing what may be going on in so many other places especially in the north like Gombe, Jigawa, Kebbi, Zamfara even in states like Ebonyi.

U peeps keep mentioning Ebonyi, but Ebonyi students are never bn found wanting academically. If you doubt it, go and ask UNN, who was last year 'best graduating student in Medicine'. The truth is that, this is not the first time they've been doing it in UNN. . . Go to FUTO, UNIZIK etc and ask, Ebonyi students had always drawn thick lines.
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by Atigba: 9:26am On Feb 09, 2012
Useless set of people?and they will still kill corpers, Sent to educate them for no reason, D government should just buy cows for those people let them return to the bush they belong, Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by Xlad(m): 9:28am On Feb 09, 2012
Hellooooo, why dzzz cowbreeders complainin? I hope they are seeing haw D r contributin to dey success of dz country, Let them go back to the deserts, western education is not fa them simple, out of 86 students dat sat fa both Bdies of examinations in ma skul,83 were qualified fa admission, why som of dos 3 students subject results were outstanding.i hope by naw they might have gotten them released, yras, out of the whole state,its only 17 students, so SE/SS no b cowbreeders lyk them, simple, what was the governor expectin.?a high rate of qualification lyk the SS/SE? Or wat?,

1 Like

Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by Demdem(m): 9:31am On Feb 09, 2012
1Dray:

U peeps keep mentioning Ebonyi, but Ebonyi students are never bn found wanting academically. If you doubt it, go and ask UNN, who was last year 'best graduating student in Medicine'. The truth is that, this is not the first time they've been doing it in UNN. . . Go to FUTO, UNIZIK etc and ask, Ebonyi students had always drawn thick lines.

Ebonyi man, no one is castigating Ebonyi, kindly read what i wrote very well. I meant little or nothing is being said about some states on NL. These encompasses several topics and issues not education alone.
Besides, who brought this post from the politics section where it was originally posted. I would have loved the politics out of this issue to be discussed.
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by 1Dray(m): 9:35am On Feb 09, 2012
I served in Gombe. . . SS3 students still tell you to teach in hausa that they dont understand English. Hw can you pass WAEC without understanding English. With 17 the number had even increased as it use to be 7.

1 Like

Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by 234GT(m): 9:49am On Feb 09, 2012
As a person who served in Government Day Junior Secondary School in Bajoga(Gombe) state and who sees the town of Bajoga as second home, I am really sad about this development. There are only 3 problems responsible for this. One is that the students are not taught in English language in primary schools. They enter secondary school not understanding English, which is the language WAEC uses to conduct exams. Two, the governor should go on massive recruitment of teachers. Almost all the secondary schools in Gombe state are run by youth corpers. Finally, the government should enlighten the students and their parents on the importance of education. I must confess that the commissioner of education when I was serving in 2009 (Hajiya Aishatu M.B Ahmed) did a lot in this regard. She came to my school twice during my service. She went to all the classes one after the other, speaking to the students, especially the girls, on the importance of education.
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by 76Naira(m): 9:54am On Feb 09, 2012
How can they pass when they are focused on other things?
Nonsense.
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by AKAYdammy(m): 9:59am On Feb 09, 2012
what about other states? For that state, may be they should not waste any more on education sector again cos d percentage is too low and its disgusting.all d children in dat state dat sit 4 d exam shud not try d exam again but go for farming

1 Like

Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by Okijajuju1(m): 10:06am On Feb 09, 2012
The new Licence plates issued by the Federal government now has Gombe states slogan as "The center of illiteracy". This new slogan may not be unconnected with the scores from the last SSCE examinations in which on 17 students scored high enough points to secure an admission into polytechnic out of 18,000 which sat for the examinations.

Confidential reliable sources from within the governors office have also revealed that the State governor is in serious talks with the government of Ekiti State which has its slogan as "Fountain of Knowledge" to see how they can be of help.
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by jedisco(m): 10:15am On Feb 09, 2012
Very soon these hausa mallams come here and insult Igbos when their region ranks extremely low in the basic standard for measuring development.

I wish we can also have their maternal mortality rate and under 5 mortality rate to see that northern Nigeria and contries like somalia and afghanistan are almost equal.
Yet they think it's their right to rule Nigeria.
Very soon they will start shouting quota systen and federal character
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by follyg: 10:54am On Feb 09, 2012
Hw can they pass when western education is forbidden (Boko Haram), they are busy working for BH so they can never pass, they educational system in d northern nigeria is so backward and they are not ready to change. When u see the no of Gombe student that will be admitted into the university you will see its gonna be far greater than 17 because of the nonsense quota system the govt is using, so hw will they ever understand competition and be serious wit their studies
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by Kabai: 11:01am On Feb 09, 2012
And when they see people like Wole Soyinka, an academic icon, they will come and insult him. They will even send their oned Yusuf to twit rubbish just to insult our father. Evil and illiteracy work hand in hand. The country will not be in peace if we don't get rid of these unfortunate fools. All they want is to carry weapons and occupy positions of authority.
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by Kabai: 11:07am On Feb 09, 2012
And when they see people like Wole Soyinka, an academic icon, they will come and insult him. They will even send their [flash=200,200]http://one eyed[/flash] Yusuf to twit rubbish just to insult our father. Evil and illiteracy work hand in hand. The country will not be in peace if we don't get rid of these unfortunate fools. All they want is to carry weapons and occupy positions of authority.
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by ekeroyal(m): 11:11am On Feb 09, 2012
Am at crossroads here, am a link from the north to the south. But the truth must be told, the northern part of Nigerian attach very little importance to orthodox education and they should reap the benefit. If all the student fails, I don't blame them. Sharia's good but shouldn't take over their brains. Genuine Moslems know the value of both education and with the help of their learned parents strike the balance. It's shameful to hear, so disgusting and tomorrow the same students will seek for political offices when they're unable to do well in O'Level exams. SHAME!!!  cry
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by stepo707: 11:22am On Feb 09, 2012
Corpers must have written for the 17 that passed self.Students that cant even write a sentense.
Re: Only 17 Students Passed Waec, Neco In Gombe - Don by Parnassuss(m): 11:27am On Feb 09, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Funniest thing I have read in days, Education is dead in the north. Period

(1) (2) (Reply)

2016/2017 JAMB CBT Possible/likely Objectives Questions & Answers For Physics / Oduduwa University Students Thread. / The Hidden Story Of ALUU 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.