Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,877 members, 7,802,821 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? (5020 Views)

I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back / Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) / Immigration To Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by combatmedic: 10:01am On Feb 10, 2012
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by yemmyma: 11:25am On Feb 10, 2012
Have you made any self evaluation on what you will like to do personally?

I really don't think anybody can advice you xcept you know which one you really like to see yourself. Working or in academics?
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by combatmedic: 11:35am On Feb 10, 2012
yemmy_ma:

Have you made any self evaluation on what you will like to do personally?

I really don't think anybody can advice you xcept you know which one you really like to see yourself. Working or in academics?
To be honest, I would like both equally. I'm equally comfortable doing both, but the thing is that I can't do both at the same time sad. Thanks anyway.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by ojdollars(m): 11:37am On Feb 10, 2012
combatmedic:

Hello Guys/ladies  grin,

I'm in the middle of an interesting problem, and I believe the noble voices in this forum will be able to give me some advice. I'm a Nigerian, and just finished a masters degree here in the UK. I have applied, passed selection, and will be starting training with the British Army very soon as a Medic. cool

I have also applied for a PhD scholarship in one of the foremost universities in Australia, and I have been awarded a 3-year full tuition and stipend scholarship cool. Unfortunately, I'm to take up the scholarship offer at the same time that I will be starting my new job with the British Army.  shocked shocked shocked

Therefore, I have no option, but to choose one at the expense of the other. If you were in my shoes, which of these two options will you go for?! 

Bros or Sist, I beg een, choose your PhD Scholarship in the Australia Uni and move to Australia. If you still not sure, then Pray.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by combatmedic: 11:42am On Feb 10, 2012
ojdollars:

Bros or Sist, I beg een, choose your PhD Scholarship in the Australia Uni and move to Australia. If you still not sure, then Pray.
I wish it was that easy. I have put in a whole year of my life going through the selection process of joining the British Army, and just when I signed my 4 year contract, this PhD offer came through. Wetin man go do now! sad
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by combatmedic: 11:46am On Feb 10, 2012
British Army;
Advantages:
1. Guaranteed contract of employment for 12 years.
2. Opportunity to travel round the world.
3. British passport at the end of 4 year service. grin

Disadvantage
1. I could be beheaded in Afghanistan by the Taliban.
2. I could get injured in training, and be medically discharged.

Australian Scholarship
Advantages:
1. Free Tuition and monthly stipend for at least 3 years.

Disadvantage
1. No guarantee of employment after PhD.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by claremont(m): 12:20pm On Feb 10, 2012
@OP: I hear Australia is a racist country, especially towards immigrant students. If I were you, I will choose the army. You can always do a PhD later in life.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by chika98: 2:50pm On Feb 10, 2012
I'd go for the Army job simply because the benefits ie British passport and a job guarantee is a good deal. You can always get a PhD much later if you want.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by frank94(m): 3:25pm On Feb 10, 2012
my brother that's a nice offer,first you have to know what you want in life.But if I'm in yr shoes,i will go straight for the phd and I will never think twice.with phd certificate from Australia,you can get a well paid job in australia,Canada or any order good place.any way pray for gods direction.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by combatmedic: 4:05pm On Feb 10, 2012
chika98:

I'd go for the Army job simply because the benefits ie British passport and a job guarantee is a good deal. You can always get a PhD much later if you want.
That's what I thought.

frank 94:

my brother that's a nice offer,first you have to know what you want in life.But if I'm in yr shoes,i will go straight for the phd and I will never think twice.with phd certificate from Australia,you can get a well paid job in australia,Canada or any order good place.any way pray for gods direction.
The thing is that getting the so-called well-paid job after a PhD is very likely, but not guaranteed.

claremont:

@OP: I hear Australia is a racist country, especially towards immigrant students. If I were you, I will choose the army. You can always do a PhD later in life.
It seems racism is rife in Australia.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by Kx: 4:11pm On Feb 10, 2012
Why do I have dis strong feeling that u ve made up your mind for the "soldier" job?
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by combatmedic: 4:22pm On Feb 10, 2012
Kx:

Why do I have dis strong feeling that u ve made up your mind for the "soldier" job?
There are times when I think of it, and my mind tilts towards the Army job, but on some other times, it tilts towards pursuing the PhD (the PhD offer is valid for 2 months before it expires). I'm just trying to weigh opinions, and do a cost-benefit analysis of both options.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by chika98: 4:43pm On Feb 10, 2012
combatmedic:

That's what I thought.

A British passport in hand is worth a whole lot. Plus being in the military has its benefits. I'd strongly suggest going the military route because even with a PhD; You'll need a work permit from prospective employer(s). A British passport will eliminate that uncertainty plus peace of mind.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by combatmedic: 4:47pm On Feb 10, 2012
chika98:

A British passport in hand is worth a whole lot. Plus being in the military has its benefits. I'd strongly suggest going the military route because even with a PhD; You'll need a work permit from prospective employer(s). A British passport will eliminate that uncertainty plus peace of mind.
I agree. The only problem there is that I'm assuming I will live through my 4 year contract with the Army. There is always a possibility of getting killed in a war zone, that's the major risk of this option.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by chika98: 4:59pm On Feb 10, 2012
combatmedic:

I agree. The only problem there is that I'm assuming I will live through my 4 year contract with the Army. There is always a possibility of getting killed in a war zone, that's the major risk of this option.

Yeah but what are the chances? I have a few friends in the US army and they've been to Afghanistan+ Iraq. They're back home safe and nothing happened to them. Plus that tax free pay is nice smiley

You're going there to be a medic anyway so I imagine things won't be that bad for you. If I were you, I wouldn't blow the opportunity to get a British passport.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by combatmedic: 5:09pm On Feb 10, 2012
^^
Sound point.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by chika98: 5:31pm On Feb 10, 2012
combatmedic:

^^
Sound point.

Keep us posted sha. Let's us know which one you chose. cheesy
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by dustydee: 8:07pm On Feb 10, 2012
Please go for your PHD. Of what benefit is a British passport when you can't exchange it for money? With a good PHD you will be literally offered jobs anywhere in the world. A british passport won't put food on the table, a PHD will likely do. There are jobs in australia and pay is good as well.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by SapeleDon: 8:27pm On Feb 10, 2012
I dont know how the British Military system works or the incentives that follows but usually military pay for your education,so there will be no need for the scholarship.

In the United States, the Military have what is called a G.I Bill,which basically is $50,000.00 for your education and if not used can be transferred to a family member. But you also qualify for a Tuition Assistance(TA)where the military pay for your education(and in cases like yours part of the fees since its at the Doctorate level)so in any way its a win win situation,as you can both be doing your military duties and still study.

Don't know if you did some research about being a Medic but as a Combat Medic you are always on a DEPLOYABLE STATUS(so unless you plan on taking your PH.D online)combat medics live a pretty much busy life where there will be conflict with your studies.

Years ago too after my Masters in the UK i flirted with the idea of joining the British Military,but after talking with the recruiter we agreed on the fact that what i wanted to do in the military was what could not be offered.

Ask the recruiters first about the educational incentives the British Military offers.

My advice?go the military way.

Let us meet DOWN RANGE(Iraq/Afghan)
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by ADEBYTE: 8:35pm On Feb 10, 2012
My man,I know what exactly running through ur mind but if I were in ur shoe, I will go for the phd because of the fact that u r going to be on a full tuition scholarship. It is an opportunity of a life time.
After ur phd,there are lost of job prospects out there for u, be it in australia, canada or even here in uk. After ur phd and u even decide to come back for ur army if age is still on urside, u can enrol even for better pay considering
Ur level of entrance.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by combatmedic: 8:57pm On Feb 10, 2012
This is really a dilemma, but I think I'm tilting more towards the Army option. Cheers lads.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by chika98: 9:03pm On Feb 10, 2012
dustydee:

Please go for your PHD. Of what benefit is a British passport when you can't exchange it for money? With a good PHD you will be literally offered jobs anywhere in the world. A British passport won't put food on the table, a PHD will likely do. There are jobs in Australia and pay is good as well.

You're really undermining the importance of having a concrete immigration status wherever one chooses to reside outside of Nigeria. It is extremely important!

Sapele Don has really explained things. OP it is up to you really. Weigh it out and make the best choice for YOU.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by frank94(m): 9:24pm On Feb 10, 2012
Pray dat war wil nt start in islamic republic of iran or syria bc y must be deployd dere 2 protect d image of union jack.war is delightful for dose dat hav not witness it.dere is a mad man in war.my broda,just go for phd and have a rest of mind.after dat,i bet y,a lot of well paid job wil be knocking at d door fr y in australia and order parts of the world.tink twice,dy tel y 2 go, but dy wil nt save y wen y wil b hearing d sounds of ak47,grineade launcher or assault rifle hahaa ha.any way if y finaly decide let us know.onye army ndi ocha.god be wit y, !
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by SapeleDon: 10:18pm On Feb 10, 2012
Combatmedic,

No matter what anybody contributes here the decision is eventually yours to take.

A lot of people have made contributions here both bordering on immigration(citizenship)or if you do decide to go for your educational pursuits(good job/life after)both nobody has asked you the question on the reason why at first you decided or were contemplating on joining the Army?

The Military is not as it is shown on the MOVIES. Being in the Military is a very serious game of LIFE or DEATH.

Its either you kill or you get killed,and taking a decision to go on HARM'S way requires a lot of courage,deep thinking and sacrifice and this is why i say the decision is yours to make.

You can get your Doctorate today and still not find a job and you can still get it today and find a job.

Getting a Doctorate does not qualify you for an automatic job especially in western countries where you run into 27 or 28 yr old Doctorate degree holders without one day of job experience.

But,first without necessarily explaining on the pages of Nairaland you know deep down in your mind what you want to do,how you want to do it and your reasons for doing it,so go for your dreams and my brother your decision will be the right one since this is about you and no one else.

@chika98 Read your post about the British Passport thing and smiled. It is nice if a person will be made a citizen after joining but it is the bigger picture we should be looking at.

There is no CITIZENSHIP in the world worth a man's life,so he gets it and goes to war and gets blown up?what then is the usefulness of the British passport?thats why i said to join the military,especially in a Western world as an immigrant should come from the heart where one would be certain that he or she wants to do it.

Statistically,people die more from CAR ACCIDENTS in any part of the world than at the war front, so joining the military does not necessarily means one is going to die even when deployed.

@claremont There is racism everywhere and not just synonymous to Australia or any western World.

In Nigeria we dont call it RACISM but ETHNIC BIAS.

The Ibo's do not like or trust the Yoruba's and Ditto the Yoruba's.

The Urhobo's and Ijaw's don't like the Itsekiri people no matter how nice any Itsekiri person is and the Itsekiri too have the same mutual feelings towards people from there,Hausa's and Fulani's have deep suspicion of each other and my BROTHER that is how things work in the world.

There will always be one form of BIAS/RACISM somewhere but the GOAL should be the focus and not how people look at,perceive you to be or even treat you.

The GOAL is the objective.

My brother the last thing is that the CONTRACT you signed into the Military is not BINDING until you ship for training,so if you decide not to go for training nothing will be done to you. If you show up for SHIPPING TO TRAINING then the contract officially becomes binding.

(You fit say somebody KPAI for the family for Naija and wan go back so u no fit go training again and them go leave you)

Good Luck my brother.

SemPer Fi.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by combatmedic: 10:48pm On Feb 10, 2012
^^
Cheers my guy, nice points you have there.

To answer your question as to the reason I chose to apply to join the British Army, I was once told that an ideal job must contain 3 key ingredients;
1. Love what you do.
2. What you do should help people.
3. Have fun/adventure doing what you do.
The Army is one of the few opportunities in life to actually provide these 3 attributes in a holistic package. I would love to pursue a PhD in Public Health in Australia, I may even be able to use my knowledge to help people, but the question is would I have fun in that line of career?!

Another way of looking at this issue is for me to self-sponsor a PhD after my Army contract is over. The proviso here is that I would live through my contract with my limbs intact. As a Combat Medic, we are in the thick of the action, we MUST go to war.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by chucky234(m): 12:13am On Feb 11, 2012
My brother you don't need too much consultation on this issue,if you go with the Australian university offer you will forever loose the opportunity of joining the Army but if you join the Army you can re-apply for any course of your choice with the university after serving the Army for three years.
So what are you still waiting for? Pack bags,running shoes and hit that Army camp because Combatant Medic with British Army is once in a life time opportunity.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by alfablondy: 3:45am On Feb 11, 2012
combatmedic:

^^
Cheers my guy, nice points you have there.

To answer your question as to the reason I chose to apply to join the British Army, I was once told that an ideal job must contain 3 key ingredients;
1. Love what you do.
2. What you do should help people.
3. Have fun/adventure doing what you do.
The Army is one of the few opportunities in life to actually provide these 3 attributes in a holistic package. I would love to pursue a PhD in Public Health in Australia, I may even be able to use my knowledge to help people, but the question is would I have fun in that line of career?!

Another way of looking at this issue is for me to self-sponsor a PhD after my Army contract is over. The proviso here is that I would live through my contract with my limbs intact. As a Combat Medic, we are in the thick of the action, we MUST go to war.

@ op I think you prefer the British army Job, if what you posted above is to be applied. Why not join Nigerian army grin grin grin You prefer to risk your life for the British government

On a more serious note, both offer are good. Go for the one that really suite you. people can argue for and against the final decision is all about you. I was once in a delimma like you to choose between two noble professions, I got admission for both at the same time and decided to choose my present career based on the feelings of my family and friends whereas in my mind I prefer the other profession, I am comfortable with my job but I still have the feelings that I would have been more successful and fulfilled if I had followed my mind.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by combatmedic: 10:01am On Feb 11, 2012
alfablondy:

@ op I think you prefer the British army Job, if what you posted above is to be applied. [size=14pt]Why not join Nigerian army grin grin grin  You prefer to risk your life for the British government  [/size]

On a more serious note, both offer are good. Go for the one that really suite you. people can argue for and against the final decision is all about you. I was once in a delimma like you to choose between two noble professions, I got admission for both at the same time and decided to choose my present career based on the feelings of my family and friends whereas in my mind I prefer the other profession, I am comfortable with my job but I still have the feelings that I would have been more successful and fulfilled if I had followed my mind.
I get paid the same wages a Colonel in the Nigerian Army earns, if not higher. I'm due to report to the barracks on Monday though, so I guess I have only got 24 hours to make a decision. Thanks anyway.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by Nobody: 11:54am On Feb 11, 2012
You got a three year scholarship and you are still here talking? do you know how expensive tuition fees are in Australia and to get it for free?

@Claremont
Lol @ racism. I lived in Europe and still have families and friends that live there, the amount of racism they experience there is unbelievable. Imagine being in a bus or train or even at work and hear someone say "I hate these blacks". . . cheiiii blacks don suffer. cheesy

I moved to Australia and honestly do I see myself living in another country(except naija ofcourse)? nope, because I love it. Blacks hate blacks, white hate whites, big deal?

My advise? choose Australia, not because I live here but because I have never liked the army job. You live in fear, you don'T know whats going to happen the next min, you live each day as it comes, you have your heart in your hands every single day, if you decide to have a family be prepared to see them once in blue moon, your kids will grow up not knowing you well or seeing much of you around, for effing sake you could get killed in a split sec.

If I was single, would I date a man in the army? No way. Cos I cherish my family a lot not to spend quality time with them.

Your decision at the end of the day.

1 Like

Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by violent(m): 12:02pm On Feb 11, 2012
Don't listen to Jennykadry and the many other posters advising you to head for the land of oz and forgo the highly valued opportunity of putting your life at risk to protect the British people. 

Why anyone will choose a classroom to a war front is something i'm afraid i don't have the intelligence to decipher. As a matter of fact, reading your post has made me give my own life a second thought.  It makes me wonder how much i may be missing by staying stucked up to a 9 to 5 job and spending free time with families, friends and mistresses. . .when of course, i could be in faraway Yemen, living my life in fear on a Boeing AH-64 Apache, hoping my dad won't die of heart attack each time it's announced that another body bag is due to arrive home and of course  watching as people's lives get destroyed that Britons thousands of miles away may get to sleep soundly in their beds.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Feb 11, 2012
^^^^^^ grin
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by combatmedic: 12:32pm On Feb 11, 2012
violent:

Don't listen to Jennykadry and the many other posters advising you to head for the land of oz and forgo the highly valued opportunity of putting your life at risk to protect the British people. 

Why anyone will choose a classroom to a war front is something i'm afraid i don't have the intelligence to decipher. As a matter of fact, reading your post has made me give my own life a second thought.  It makes me wonder how much i may be missing by staying stucked up to a 9 to 5 job and spending free time with families, friends and mistresses. . .when of course, i could be in faraway Yemen, living my life in fear on a Boeing AH-64 Apache, hoping my dad won't die of heart attack each time it's announced that another body bag is due to arrive home and of course  watching as people's lives get destroyed that Britons thousands of miles away may get to sleep soundly in their beds.

I smell sarcasm here. grin
My guy, I just wanted objective advice, no need to be sarcastic. Cheers anyway.

@JennyKadry:
The value of the tuition fee is $24,400 per year, and the living allowance is $23,728 per year, all applicable for 3 years with a possibility to get a 6 month extension. If not that I already have this Army contract starring me in the face, I would have jumped at the opportunity to go and enjoy free money in Australia.

(1) (2) (Reply)

.. / Between Canada And America Which One Is The Best For Relocation / About Going For My Visa Interview [immigrant]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.