Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,978 members, 7,799,329 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:01 PM

How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! - Family (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! (35340 Views)

Career Women Battle Housemaids’ Sexcapades, Randy Husbands / Successful Career Women Can't Have It All - Pepsi CEO, Indra Nooyi / Why Men Don't Help-Out With Domestic Chores (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 7:11pm On Feb 24, 2012
queensmith:

WHatever they love is definitely not food or grocery shopping. Clothes shopping maybe and nobody hates that.

I generally pick out my clothes online then go to the store with an exact description, pay for it and off i go. 10 mins.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by coogar: 7:11pm On Feb 24, 2012
armyofone:

lol, online shopping for food eh. Welcome to Peapod.
do you use Peapod?

sainsburys
waitrose
tesco
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by armyofone(m): 7:13pm On Feb 24, 2012
be careful and don't give our sister too much to do. she does not need to ask. when you hear the car, run down to help.

davidylan:

She absolutely enjoys doing it so i dont bother to help. If its heavy then i come in to help.

no need to tell you nwa mama grin you know better bo.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by armyofone(m): 7:15pm On Feb 24, 2012
coogar:

for food part, i do online shopping mostly.
the delivery man does the heavy shopping bag.

when she has to go to naija market to buy garri, snail and other naija foodstuffs.
she's on her own. i don't eat it so i ain't interested.

lol grin
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 7:20pm On Feb 24, 2012
armyofone:

be careful and don't give our sister too much to do. she does not need to ask. when you hear the car, run down to help.

no need to tell you nwa mama grin you know better bo.

No worries, she makes sure to call in advance for me to come get anything heavier than 10lbs even if its her own make-up kit. Women sef na wa. grin
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Sagamite(m): 7:36pm On Feb 24, 2012
armyofone:

Saga, you are almost coming home to roost, by the time we get done with you finito eh,  lipsrsealed tongue grin good job there.

now add to the list:
helping madam with her nails
vaccum
folding clothes
shopping should be more than 1/4 tongue
lawn mower job
watering the lawn, we may as well get the auto watering hose tongue
gisting with madam as she prep meal and help setting table for dinner tongue

Now add those to your list grin

Look at you, you cannot see the bottom of the iceberg in my list. Let me expose them for you:

- Technical and physical activities (IKEA stuff etc).
- Cooking if you are pregnant, sick or it is your lucky day.
- Bathing the children some few days (maybe 1 or 2) in the week especially if the kids want me to.
- Dish washing most times when you have had to spend more than 4 hours in the kitchen cooking or I can see it has abnormally piled up.
(This is based on a record of the woman always good at doing the dishes. So the day I see it not done, I know she is overburdened and I then help out. Or if she is cooking a set of different soups and stew for the house/party and I know she would reuse the pots, I can chip in and wash the pots while she is dealing with something else, so the pot is ready when she needs it.)
- Ironing my OWN clothes most times (you mainly do yours and the kids, maybe sometimes mine).
(I iron my clothes when I want to wear them. Most times they are cramped in a corner. If she does not like my style, then she would have to iron it herself. I aint ironing them until I want to wear them, no compromise. grin Most likely a woman would want things neat, so she would have to do it herself.)
- Washing the cars.
- Doing about 1 in 4 of the grocery shopping.
(This is an audit process to ensure no contract inflation like we see in a Nigerian civil service contract. grin I would know what things cost.)
- Don't mind putting clothes in the washer sometimes.
(It is just pressing buttons. Note: I don't separate colours. Never have. All in! If you don't like it, do it yourself.  cheesy)
- Cleaning the bathroom once a week.

Dream on about the extra list you put up there. I am a cave man, not a metrosexual.  cool
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by dayokanu(m): 7:37pm On Feb 24, 2012
coogar:

it beats me. . . . .
i go to the store knowing the colour, size and the brand of what i want. i see what i want, i pay and i storm out.
why can't women follow this simple procedure?

they would first look for which shop is offering which discount or that voucher. . .
then they would start trying out different clothes. i dunno if this is indecision or simple greed.
argghhhhhhhhhhhh - it's pure torture.

I dont know o.

One time some years back I was moving into an apartment and she came. I made a mistake to offer to drive her there.

She went to IKEA and spent good 4-5 hours there!!!!.  shocked

You know those Ikea where they already set up the rooms living room, bedroom  etc She was going through everyone. After 4hrs we almost got into a fight when the sales girl told us that maybe we should check another setup and I yelled NO. She was like isnt she doing it for me, Isnt it my aparment bla bla, I was like If its left to me I would buy one 3seater sofa on craiglist, one TV stand and shikena.

After IKEA she now said Home depot or Walmart I just told her to let me go home and she can take the car keys and do the rest
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by armyofone(m): 7:42pm On Feb 24, 2012
grin grin
dayokanu:

I dont know o.

One time I was moving into an apartment and she came. I made a mistake to offer to drive her there.

You know those Ikea where they already set up the rooms living room, bedroom  etc She was going through everyone. After 4hrs we almost got into a fight when the sales girl told us that maybe we should check another setup and I yelled NO. She was like isnt she doing it for me, Isnt it my aparment bla bla, I was like If its left to me I would buy one 3seater sofa on craiglist, one TV stand and shikena.

After IKEA she now said Home depot or Walmart I just told her to let me go home and she can take the car keys and do the rest

Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 7:43pm On Feb 24, 2012
dayokanu:

I dont know o.

One time I was moving into an apartment and she came. I made a mistake to offer to drive her there.

you tried. I typically stay home and nod anytime she says things need changing, if it is not something about electronics then i could not be bothered. I like the way she decorates the home, i dont want to know how she does it.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by coogar: 8:03pm On Feb 24, 2012
dayokanu:

I dont know o.

One time some years back I was moving into an apartment and she came. I made a mistake to offer to drive her there.

4-5 hrs @ ikea? shocked shocked shocked shocked
i would have dropped dead! ikea is the most boring place ever.

women just love prancing about. i am yet to meet a time-conscious woman.
they don't even care that people that met them in the store are leaving n driving away. . .whilst they are still deciding what and what not to buy.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by ronkebp(f): 8:09pm On Feb 24, 2012
armyofone:

while you guys are at it abt shopping and staring at the clothes and trying them on,nothing to carry afterall.
but tell us about the shopping for food part.
now, do you leave her to do that alone too and the bring in all the heavy shopping bag home and put them away alone? tongue

My dear, i don't shop for food ooo, my hubby does it, and i am so glad, i am just too lazy to shop for anything, especially food.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by armyofone(m): 8:27pm On Feb 24, 2012
I'm crazy abt time so no problem.

Ronke, lol. i love shopping for anything. I shop cuz i love to cook.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by queensmith: 8:28pm On Feb 24, 2012
If you allowd them theyll soon try to tell you women love to queue in walmart. Kmt
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Outstrip(f): 12:45am On Feb 25, 2012
Ikea was made for you to spend hrs in it. Why else do they have a dinning section grin grin grin You shop until you are exhausted then you go get something cold from the restaurant. You get your strngth back and you continue. After 5 hours you leave with a table that you have no where to put in your house
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by neyostica: 9:51pm On Feb 25, 2012
@op why dont just just divorce your man, then you will be free,
@queensmith have never met anyone more arrogant, stupid, silly, lazy to say the list, you are better served to a white or kora man. bit.ch

you gals are just lazy, the moment u travel abroad, you start acting like you've got no home training. whats the big deal in house chores that you come here evryday cryin like a little girl on how to share with your man, career woman my as.s, you are just lazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Useless girls,
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 7:18am On Feb 26, 2012
neyostica:

@queensmith have never met anyone more arrogant, silly, silly, lazy to say the list, you are better served to a white or kora man. bit.ch

you gals are just lazy, the moment u travel abroad, you start acting like you've got no home training. whats the big deal in house chores that you come here evryday cryin like a little girl on how to share with your man, career woman my behind, you are just lazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Useless girls,

Well said.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by queensmith: 11:58am On Feb 26, 2012
look what the cat dragged in, here we go with the lazy theory, if the women are lazy then what are you?

abeg go and sit somewhere not everyone carries the stone age mentality you men love to cling to.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by maclatunji: 2:18pm On Feb 27, 2012
neyostica:

@queensmith have never met anyone more arrogant, silly, silly, lazy to say the list, you are better served to a white or kora man. bit.ch

you gals are just lazy, the moment u travel abroad, you start acting like you've got no home training. whats the big deal in house chores that you come here evryday cryin like a little girl on how to share with your man, career woman my behind, you are just lazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Useless girls,

LOL- tell me something. Naija ehn, 'I shop at XYZ.' How does that help hbabe with her pile of chores?
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 4:40pm On Feb 27, 2012
@Sagamite,as regards to the "you dnt separate coloured clothes",if i happen to be your wife,na so so fight o grin
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by coogar: 4:43pm On Feb 27, 2012
queensmith:

look what the cat dragged in, here we go with the lazy theory, if the women are lazy then what are you?

abeg go and sit somewhere not everyone carries the stone age mentality you men love to cling to.

then go and marry a fellow woman or any animal of your choice.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Sagamite(m): 12:35am On Feb 28, 2012
uplawal:

@Sagamite,as regards to the "you dnt separate coloured clothes",if i happen to be your wife,na so so fight o grin

It has never caused me any problems so why the extra labour.

No need for fight na, if you no like am, do it yourself. I will leave it to you so you have the liberty to do it the way YOU like it. I will be watching my Sky Sports, Discovery Channel, Dave or ITV4. cheesy
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Nobody: 3:23pm On Feb 28, 2012
That's an excuse for not wanting to do cheesy
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Sagamite(m): 3:28pm On Feb 28, 2012
uplawal:

That's an excuse for not wanting to do cheesy

No, that is diplomacy and letting you have your way. grin

At the end of the day, we both get what we want. It would be a win-win. cheesy
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by armyofone(m): 5:38pm On Feb 28, 2012
sharrap there and come fix the washing machine. Dont you know that's your job tongue
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Sagamite(m): 7:02pm On Feb 28, 2012
armyofone:

sharrap there and come fix the washing machine. Dont you know that's your job tongue

My job is to be a fokasibe machine to give you a fix. cool
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by agabaI23(m): 7:40pm On Mar 16, 2012
@poster
Hmm, I can understand the frustration. Let me be your house help
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by freshera: 12:17am On Mar 17, 2012
My opinion: People need to do more feasibility study before getting married.Like what the head of the house wants and what his role will be.

If the man was not raised to help out, omo mehn it's too late o.

The purpose of most Naija marriages is having offspring and the purpose of having offspring(apart from familyship) is for them to impact their world through career and have a shot at immortality.

If a woman who has had a chance at education, has a working brain, who's healthy cannot impact her world in her own way because she has to cook for her husband, then na wa o. A lot of human beings on planet earth don't have that opportunity,in naija the purposeof life is money, in the developed wordl, the purpose of life is purpose. There are other ways to multiply other than mating, e.g. Heinz Ketup, Mayo, Armani, Levi Jeans are all examples of human beings multiplying themselves.

Where is the sense in a mother cheering her kids on to achieve brilliance in life through careers/talents when she has squandered hers? A good and non-selfish husband should want the best for his wife exactly what the wife's father will also want for her.

The stronger sex should ideally help out.

But at the end of the day, when it comes to Naija, ideals will burn o. Na tact, sacrifice and wisdom go remain. So DO WHAT WILL PLEASE YOUR HUSBAND. chikena. afterall all our grandmas never had careers and they lived fulfilled lives serving the human beings near and dear to them, no need to go far.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Sagamite(m): 12:52pm On Mar 17, 2012
freshera:
But at the end of the day, when it comes to Naija, ideals will burn o. Na tact, sacrifice and wisdom go remain. So DO WHAT WILL PLEASE YOUR HUSBAND. chikena. afterall all our grandmas never had careers and they lived fulfilled lives serving the human beings near and dear to them, no need to go far.

Really? undecided

I wish you could have spent a day in their shoes.
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by ronkebp(f): 2:45pm On Mar 17, 2012
Sagamite:

Really? undecided

I wish you could have spent a day in their shoes.

Sagamilo, i thought you are good in maths, how come i did not see you on my ''statistics thread''? Abi naa arithmetic you sabi?
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by Sagamite(m): 5:12pm On Mar 17, 2012
ronkebp:

Sagamilo, i thought you are good in maths, how come i did not see you on my ''statistics thread''? Abi naa arithmetic you sabi?

Wey your thread?

Awa mathematico ni wa mehn! grin

Although I have never done statistics before. Back then I had to chose between mechanics and statistics, and I went for the harder one.

No long tory. Fine boy, fine brain. [Strokes the cranium containing God's wonder!] cool
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by ronkebp(f): 10:40pm On Mar 17, 2012
^^^^^^ Naso, little wonder you do everything with ''over power'', mechanic like you. smiley smiley smiley smiley wink wink wink
Re: How Do Career Women Cope With Domestic Chores? - Help! by juleze(f): 7:19pm On Apr 18, 2012
Baawaa: That means you are lazy,no kids for now as you said just for you to go to office and do domestic chores you are complaining.Is better you adjust yourself now so that the complain will not much when kids comes-in  grin grin

Same way a man is lazy if he comes back from work earlier or same time with his wife and can't cook or clean up.
Rubbish!
Most Nigerian men only know how to say "I'm a man", yet they are butt lazy.
Where's your conscience when you expect your wife to contribute financially, while you wouldn't make things easier for BOTH of you by cookin, washing or cleaning?
Kudos to the men who aren't like this.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Skeleton Of Missing Man Found In Locked Lagos Apartment (pic) / My Husband Wants Us To Relocate To The Village / Nonuplets: Halima Cisse, Malian Woman Gives Birth To Nine Babies In Morocco

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.