Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,387 members, 7,808,367 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:01 AM

Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. (18455 Views)

Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian / What Is The Best Story You Have Read On Nairaland? / Most Uninteresting Book You Have Read. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 10:27pm On Feb 21, 2012
an african adventure

I began my first morning in my new home with a tour of the hospital. . . Taking the African forest into account, it was a thouroughly credible institution, and although it consisted only of several one-storied buildings, partly in the native style, partly of wood, and partly of sun-dried bricks, it contained in the simplest form all the strictly necessary equipment of a tropical hospital.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 10:32pm On Feb 21, 2012
the Peopling of Africa

The synthesis of chadic and nilosaharan speakers produced the kanuri, founders of the kanem state, with its capital at njimi. . . . Kanem reached it's apogee during the mid-thirteenth century, when its territorial hold extended through the desert to Fezzan. . . .the resident chadic peoples were pushed out or absorbed, and a new state, Bornu, came into being.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 10:44pm On Feb 21, 2012
emily post on weddings

answers to the most often asked questions to help you survive from the moment you make the big decision until the last guest leaves the reception

"We've just become engaged. My mother is waiting for his mother to call and his mother is waiting for my mother to call her. Which family makes the first move to meet the other?"

As soon as the prospective groom has talked with his parents, his mother should telephone your mother, tell her how happy she is about the engagement, and suggest they get together. If your parents live far away from the groom's parents, a visit should be arranged between the two families.Whichever parents can travel most conveniently should make the trip.

if however, the groom's parents do not realize they should make the initial move, then your parents should quickly do so. The only thing that's really important is that your families get together in a spirit of friendship.

**opinions not mine. Simply quoting directly from book**
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 10:47pm On Feb 21, 2012
eragon

"I will. Thank you" Eragon stepped into the glaring winter sunlight, squinting. He slowly paced away, pondering what he had heard.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 10:49pm On Feb 21, 2012
all things bright and beautiful

"Mr Herriot, " she said, and in the dark probing eyes the pride was still as warm, the triumph still as bursting new as if it had all happened yesterday.

"Mr Herriot, havent i made a difference to this dog!"
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by vb0mb(m): 6:13pm On Feb 22, 2012
Things fall apart and the centre could not hold
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 6:14pm On Feb 23, 2012
Wbb.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by maclatunji: 7:09am On Feb 24, 2012
Tpia@, will be back after the non-commercial break grin
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 8:36pm On Feb 24, 2012
Jennings Follows a Clue

"Shut up all of you," yelled Temple, at the top of his voice. "I'm trying to write a letter!"

"Yes, shut up, chaps," urged Jennings, whose voice had contributed most noise to the uproar. He clicked his tongue at them reprovingly. "How can you expect Bod to concentrate with all this hoo-hah going on? Besides, everyone knows that Oxford is gallons better. Mr Carter went to Oxford and Mr Wilkins went to Cambridge, so that proves all oiks are Cambridge".

"And all ruins are oxford," shouted Venables, and the noise swelled again. "I stick up for Cambridge,  and Lancashire!"

"And I'm Oxford. . . .!!!!" yelled Johnson.

"Shut up!" bawled Temple. In the silence that followed, Darbyshire, who had not previously spoken, could be heard murmuring - "And I'm Oxford-. . "

"Shut up Darbyshire!' shouted the whole room in unison.

"Nobody asked you anyway, " added Venables. " You only say you're Oxford because Jennings does"

"No I dont then," Darbyshire defended himself. "I've got a reason. My brother stuck up for Oxford till his last term at school, and then he had the ghastliest hunk of bad luck"

"Why, what happened?"

"He won a scholarship to Cambridge"

"What filthy, rotten luck!" the Oxford supporters consoled him. "I bet he was fed up".

"He seemed quite pleased actually. Spivish disloyal, I call it!"
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 8:42pm On Feb 24, 2012
the black temple by mohmed tukur garba

it was one of those rainy mornings in lagos when it rained lightly for fifteen minutes or so, then stopped and, after a while, started all over again. During the brief intervals of sunshine a cool breeze blew over the island from the Atlantic.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by blackboi(m): 11:25pm On Feb 24, 2012
"tension would set in at the mere mention of police and a vast complex of emotions."
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:21am On Feb 27, 2012
fattypuffs and thinifers

In fact, as Terry and Edmund realized in the first few minutes, everything was going wrong. The delegates spoke to each other reproachfully of the bad organization of the conference. The Fattypuffs had proposed that before starting work they should have a meal together. But the Thinifers, who never ate in the middle of the day, insisted on holding the first session immediately. Prince Vorapuff, alarmed by the terrible voice of Mr Rugiver, agreed right away, but he ordered a great pile of sandwiches and cakes to bear him up under the strain of missing his usual meals.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:24am On Feb 27, 2012
Puss in Boots

"That is most unfortunate," said the King. "We cannot leave him there without clothes." So he gave orders to a servant to fetch a suit from the palace.

When the miller's son was dressed in a suit of good clothes, he looked a very fine man indeed.

The King then invited him to go for a drive with them. So the miller's son sat in a carriage beside the princess.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:28am On Feb 27, 2012
Richard the Lion Heart

The palaces of the east were rich with silks and tapestries, carpets, and soft cushions. Beautiful glass goblets and table-ware in precious metals dazzled the crusaders, who used pewter and wooden platters at home. All these things found their way into English castles.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:32am On Feb 27, 2012
Misty of Chincoteague

At a watchful distance, the roundup men rested their mounts and relaxed. It was like the lull in the midst of a storm. All was quiet on the surface. Yet there was an undercurrent of tension. You could tell it in the narrowed eyes of the men, their subdued voices, and their easy laughter.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 3:51am On Feb 27, 2012
all creatures great and small

When he took it out he was holding some object but it was difficult to identify, being almost obscured by his enormous thumb. Then i saw that it was a tiny, black covered miniature diary about two inches square- the sort of novelty people give each other at christmas.

"Is that the herd record?" I asked.

"Yes, this is it. It's all set down in here." Walter daintily flicked over the pages with a h.orny forefinger and squinted through his spectacles. "Now, that fust cow- she's number eighty-fower"

"Splendid!" i said. "I'll just check this one and then we can go by the book." I peered into the ear. "That's funny, I make it twenty-six."

The brothers had a look. "You're right, sorr, you're right. It IS twenty- six."

Walter pursed his lips."Why, that's Bluebell's calf, isnt it?"

"Nay," said Fenwick, "she's out of awd Buttercup."

"Can't be," muttered Thomas.  "Awd Buttercup was sold to Tim Jefferson afore this 'un was born. This is Linda's calf."

William shook his head.  "Ah'm sure we got her as a heifer at Bill Ashby's sale."

"All right," I said, holding up a hand.  "We'll put in twenty-six." I had to cut in. It was in no way an argument, just a leisurely discussion but it looked as if it could go on for some time,  I wrote the number in my book and injected the cow. "Now, how about this next one?"

"Well, ah Do know that 'un," said Walter confidently, stabbing at an entry in the diary. "can't make no mistake, she's number five."

I looked in the ear. "Says a hundred and thirty seven here."

It started again. "She was brought in, wasnt she?" "Nay, nay, she's out of awd Dribbler." "Don't think so- Dribbler had nowt but bulls. . . . "

I raised my hand again. "You know, I really think it might be quicker to look in all the ears. Time's getting on."
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 8:00pm On Mar 01, 2012
James Patterson, The Angel Experiment

“Yes!” said Fang, punching the air. “Freaks rule.”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 8:04pm On Mar 01, 2012
the witch of blackbird pond

“Would there be room in the boat for me to ride to shore with you?” she begged. “I know it’s silly, but there is America so close to me for the first time in my life – I can’t bear not to set my foot upon it!”

“What a child you are, Kit,” smiled Mrs. Eaton.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 8:04pm On Mar 01, 2012
At the second tug an onion shoot came too, and glancing to see if Judith had noticed, she guiltily thrust the tiny root back into the earth and patted it firm. Bother the things, she would have to keep her mind on them! All at once tears of self-pity brimmed her eyes. What was she doing here anyway, Sir Francis Tyler’s granddaughter, squatting in an onion patch?
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 8:05pm On Mar 01, 2012
The meals fell to Kit, and she did the best she could with them, measuring out the corn meal, stirring up the up the pudding, spooning it into a bag to boil, and cursing the clumsiness that she had never taken the pains to overcome. She built up the fire, heated kettles of water for the washing, so that Mercy might have fresh linen under her restless body. She fetched water, and strained a special gruel for Judith, and spread her uncle’s wet clothes to dry before the fire. At night she dozed off, exhausted, and woke with a start sure that something was left undone.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 8:06pm On Mar 01, 2012
The others stared at her in suspicion. As though she had sprouted a tail and fins right before their eyes. What was the matter with these people? Not another word was uttered as the men pulled harder on their oars. A solid cloud of disapproval settled over the dripping girl, more chilling than the April breeze. Her high spirits plunged. She had made herself ridiculous
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 8:14pm On Mar 01, 2012
ceasar and cleopatra

I always want to be let do as I like, no matter whether it is the will of the gods or not: that is because my blood is made with Nile water.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 8:15pm On Mar 01, 2012
Taxes are the chief business of a conqueror of the world.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 8:16pm On Mar 01, 2012
Pardon him , he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 8:24pm On Mar 01, 2012
CENTURION (as the sentinel makes an angry demonstration).
Peace there. Cleopatra. I must abide by my orders, and not by the subtleties of this Sicilian. You must withdraw into the palace and examine your carpets there.

CLEOPATRA (pouting).
I will not: I am the Queen. Caesar does not speak to me as you do. Have Caesar's centurions changed manners with his scullions?

CENTURION (sulkily).
I do my duty. That is enough for me.

APOLLODORUS
Majesty: when a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty.

CENTURION (angry).
Apollodorus--

APOLLODORUS (interrupting him with defiant elegance).
I will make amends for that insult with my sword at fitting time and place. Who says artist, says duelist. (To Cleopatra) Hear my counsel, star of the east. Until word comes to these soldiers from Caesar himself, you are a prisoner. Let me go to him with a message from you, and a present; and before the sun has stooped half way to the arms of the sea, I will bring you back Caesar's order of release.

CENTURION (sneering at him), And you will sell the Queen the present, no doubt.

APOLLODORUS
Centurion: the Queen shall have from me, without payment, as the unforced tribute of Sicilian taste to Egyptian beauty, the richest of these carpets for her present to Caesar.

CLEOPATRA (exultantly, to the Centurion).
Now you see what an ignorant common creature you are!

CENTURION (curtly).
Well, a fool and his wares are soon parted (He turns to his men). Two more men to this post here; and see that no one leaves the palace but this man and his merchandize. If he draws his sword again inside the lines, kill him. To your posts. March.

He goes out, leaving two auxiliary sentinels with the other.

APOLLODORUS (with polite goodfellowship).
My friends: will you not enter the palace and bury our quarrel in a bowl of wine? (He takes out his purse, jingling the coins in it.) The Queen has presents for you all.

SENTINEL (very sulky).
You heard our orders. Get about your business.

FIRST AUXILIARY
Yes: you ought to know better. Off with you.

SECOND AUXILIARY (looking longingly at the purse--this sentinel is a hooknosed man, unlike his comrade, who is squab faced). Do not tantalize a poor man.

APOLLODORUS (to Cleopatra).
Pearl of Queens: the Centurion is at hand; and the Roman soldier is incorruptible when his officer is looking. I must carry your word to Caesar.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 8:24pm On Mar 01, 2012
APOLLODORUS
(To the porters) Into the boat with them carefully.

The porters carry the carpet to the steps.

FIRST PORTER (looking down at the boat).
Beware what you do, sir. Those eggs of which the lady speaks must weigh more than a pound apiece. This boat is too small for such a load.

BOATMAN (excitedly rushing up the steps).
Oh thou injurious porter! Oh thou unnatural son of a she-camel! (To Apollodorus) My boat, sir, hath often carried five men. Shall it not carry your lordship and a bale of pigeons' eggs? (To the porter) Thou mangey dromedary, the gods shall punish thee for this envious wickedness.

FIRST PORTER (stolidly).
I cannot quit this bale now to beat thee; but another day I will lie in wait for thee.

APPOLODORUS (going between them).
Peace there. If the boat were but a single plank, I would get to Caesar on it.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 8:28pm On Mar 01, 2012
a single shard

"Like most of the potter's villages, Ch'ulp'o had a communal kiln. Set on the hillside just outside the center of the village, it looked like a long, low tunnel made of hardened clay"
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 8:31pm On Mar 01, 2012
pygmalion

THE DAUGHTER. Well, haven't you got a cab?
FREDDY. There's not one to be had for love or money.
THE MOTHER. Oh, Freddy, there must be one. You can't have tried.
THE DAUGHTER. It's too tiresome. Do you expect us to go and get one ourselves?
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 8:45pm On Mar 01, 2012
love in the clouds by barbara cartland

Chandra heard Lord Frome's footsteps and the light came nearer as he moved down the dark passageway. He put first the candle then the pistol back on the table and without warning, pulled her roughly against him. his lips came down on hers and helf her captive. Suddenly Chandra felt a wild rapture that was inexpressible, rising up through her body from her breast into her lips. "This is love, she thought, "love as I always knew it would be, Yet how? Lord Frome despised her.

"I have hated women for so long, undecided" he whispered, "that I did not know how different you werre, how very, very different, my precious one. I have been fighting frantically against admitting it, even to myself, but I have loved you for a long time!"
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 8:52pm On Mar 01, 2012
the little prince

“Sire--over what do you rule?”
“Over everything,” said the king, with magnificent simplicity.
“Over everything?”
The king made a gestuer, which took in his planet, the other planets, and all the stars.
“Over all that?” asked the little prince.
“Over all that,” the king answered.
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 8:55pm On Mar 01, 2012
think and grow rich

“When defeat comes, accept it as a signal that your plans are not sound, rebuild those plans, and set sail once more toward your coveted goal.”
Re: Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. by tpia5: 8:56pm On Mar 01, 2012
“More gold had been mined from the mind of men than the earth itself”

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Michelle Nkamankeng, The Youngest Published Author In Africa (PHOTOS) / Life Of A Star (a Celebrity Story) / Ultimate Guide: How To Earn More As A Freelance Writer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.