Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:50 AM

You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? (1989 Views)

I Saw Her Through School; Now I'm No More Qualified To Marry Her / My Wife Needs To Be Re-trained, Then I Sent Her Back To Her Parents. / My Wife Spends Money On Her Parents And Sibling Without My Consent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by Saipro(m): 10:30am On Oct 20, 2007
It's something we're all familiar with and have encountered over time - either by experience or having met someone passing through the throes of it. Or seen it on TV. Whichever may be the case, what would you do if it were you? It's plaguing some of my boys and I and there seems to be no way out - no compromise, no common ground. Our spouses-to-be are tearing us to bits and our parents won't let us have peace of mind - even tried match-making (yup, old-school tactics). Not quite a cry for help - just an avenue to gather more knowledge and expand the database. Kind of like distributed thinking. Throw in all you've got - junk and all. Thanks!
Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by Saipro(m): 12:35pm On Jan 13, 2013
Well, no response on these pages and even I had almost forgotten about this thread. Got a lot of calls from friends, family & well-wishers though.
The scenario remains the same but individuals involved have changed. Mostly. Ideas are still welcome as the circumstances motivating the thread are nonplussed & self-perpetuating, even as we speak. The thread might nonetheless serve as valuable reference for someone, someday.
Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by djeezy(m): 2:54pm On Jan 13, 2013
Saipro: Well, no response on these pages and even I had almost forgotten about this thread. Got a lot of calls from friends, family & well-wishers though.
The scenario remains the same but individuals involved have changed. Mostly. Ideas are still welcome as the circumstances motivating the thread are nonplussed & self-perpetuating, even as we speak. The thread might nonetheless serve as valuable reference for someone, someday.
So you resurrected this thread after several years.
Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by baby124: 3:35pm On Jan 13, 2013
If you really really can't do without her, you better fight for it. I was in the same boat. Though the ex let go and remarried, all is not well as he is still stuck. Its saaaad! lipsrsealed. Me, I am happy sha! But God dey! Would I have married him if he fought hard enough? With my 22yr old brain then? We may have eloped. cheesy. Still, I thank God for his mercies as I am very happy with the boo, drama free. cool. My parents were the troublemakers in this case. grin. Tribal and cultural differences. cry

1 Like

Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jan 13, 2013
Most times parents are right bout suitors...... I've come to learn the greatest principle that has been shaping my life since I became independent ..... ' don't push things and what will be will be' and it's been working for me , and I'm gonna apply it with my kids too.

I was gonna marry an amazing Igbo guy that is every woman's dream... 5.8'', I don't know if it's green eyes but he's very light skinned and weird eye color, hefty ... lemme stop there sha , my point is my Daddy never liked this guy , you know Igbo guys very generous especially when he just arrived from Netherlands.. my Daddy was like blah ,

So thank God I met my man same statistics cos I'm picky but brown eyes and brown Yoruba skin..., my Daddy gelled with him like snap ! And I couldn't have asked for more in a partner, very supportive and shares the same values with me.

2 Likes

Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by baby124: 4:04pm On Jan 13, 2013
jidegirl12: Most times parents are right bout suitors...... I've come to learn the greatest principle that has been shaping my life since I became independent ..... ' don't push things and what will be will be' and it's been working for me , and I'm gonna apply it with my kids too.

I was gonna marry an amazing Igbo guy that is every woman's dream... 5.8'', I don't know if it's green eyes but he's very light skinned and weird eye color, hefty ... lemme stop there sha , my point is my Daddy never liked this guy , you know Igbo guys very generous especially when he just arrived from Netherlands.. my Daddy was like blah ,

So thank God I met my man same statistics cos I'm picky but brown eyes and brown Yoruba skin..., my Daddy gelled with him like snap ! And I couldn't have asked for more in a partner, very supportive and shares the same values with me.

You never said what made them right? Honestly this ex has never left me alone. I feel so sad, bad and ashamed when I hear from him cause honestly he was a great guy. That drama almost killed him. My parents sha... We are just friends now and we talk about our lives. Before his wedding years later he was still talking of eloping, but I refused. How would the girl feel? Its not easy for him at all, he can't seem to let go.
Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jan 13, 2013
'Them' as in Parents?
Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by baby124: 4:39pm On Jan 13, 2013
jidegirl12: 'Them' as in Parents?

Yea.
Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jan 13, 2013
I guess they know what's best for us cause they have your best interest .... that's how I see it tho

Anyways he called me and talked about disadvantage of marrying from different tribe, what Igbos expectations are in a wife and traditions ( dont wanna say too much ato avoid tribal war)

Language barrier was huge issue too.... his dad doesn't speak English and all that stuff, my Daddy just wasn't feeling him .

Also he's Educated but prefers trade... My Daddy doesn't like that, he asked him why he prefers trade over a cooperate career and he said he likes to be his own boss ., Daddy gave him countless things he could do to be his own boss but I guess containers are his passion. grin

Also everytime we are hanging out and talked about our family structure, he's always particular bout his first child being a Boy! I told my Daddy and he was pissed. undecided

Soo many instances but I'm glad I listened to him.... He'll never lead me astray ....

We contacted few times when I got here but had to cut him off finally cos what are we gonna talk about?

its called emotional cheating and it's not fair on my man... Don't dish out what you can't take.
Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by baby124: 5:58pm On Jan 13, 2013
jidegirl12: I guess they know what's best for us cause they have your best interest .... that's how I see it tho

Anyways he called me and talked about disadvantage of marrying from different tribe, what Igbos expectations are in a wife and traditions ( dont wanna say too much ato avoid tribal war)

Language barrier was huge issue too.... his dad doesn't speak English and all that stuff, my Daddy just wasn't feeling him .

Also he's Educated but prefers trade... My Daddy doesn't like that, he asked him why he prefers trade over a cooperate career and he said he likes to be his own boss ., Daddy gave him countless things he could do to be his own boss but I guess containers are his passion. grin

Also everytime we are hanging out and talked about our family structure, he's always particular bout his first child being a Boy! I told my Daddy and he was pissed. undecided

Soo many instances but I'm glad I listened to him.... He'll never lead me astray ....

We contacted few times when I got here but had to cut him off finally cos what are we gonna talk about?

its called emotional cheating and it's not fair on my man... Don't dish out what you can't take.

Well this one was the smartest, most educated Nigerian I have met yet. He was also a good person. We were also so much more friends than anything else. But my parents refused. We are still really good friends and respect each other's spouses. Maybe I feel guilty, and trying to help him move on in my little way. undecided. Its working sha grin.
Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jan 13, 2013
Married women discussing about their ex.... This one na special "EXes" oh. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by baby124: 7:25pm On Jan 13, 2013
Vikin: Married women discussing about their ex.... This one na special "EXes" oh. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Well he asked a question. Fact remains though that parental consent is important. At the end of the day I am glad I didn't elope. I know countless others who were persistent and the parents backed off. But if they don't and parental consent is important to the person whose parents are giving trouble, then its best to save yourself the heartache and just move on.
Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jan 13, 2013
baby_123:

Well he asked a question. Fact remains though that parental consent is important. At the end of the day I am glad I didn't elope. I know countless others who were persistent and the parents backed off. But if they don't and parental consent is important to the person whose parents are giving trouble, then its best to save yourself the heartache and just move on.

Majority of them crawl back home with their tails btw their legs..... yourba adage says ma ta ara e lopo...gboron si obi e lenu( don't sell yourself cheap, listen to your parents)
Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by baby124: 7:41pm On Jan 13, 2013
jidegirl12:

Majority of them crawl back home with their tails btw their legs..... yourba adage says ma ta ara e lopo...gboron si obi e lenu( don't sell yourself cheap, listen to your parents)

Parents do make mistakes as well you know. They can be blinded by sentiments. Mine really thought it would be too much for their baby. Not understanding language and culture. Plus he had many dependents and expectations being the first and most successful male.
Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jan 13, 2013
baby_123:

Parents do make mistakes as well you know. They can be blinded by sentiments. Mine really thought it would be too much for their baby. Not understanding language and culture. Plus he had many dependents and expectations being the first and most successful male.

Rarely.... they can't see avalanche and tell their kids to go skiing. It's called experience.

2 Likes

Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by Saipro(m): 12:29pm On Mar 03, 2013
jidegirl12:

Rarely.... they can't see avalanche and tell their kids to go skiing. It's called experience.

I concur. You see, we never truly know the alternative. Surely it would have been different; but would it have been better? Off-guard, nostalgia may creep on you from time-to-time but it's better sticking with your guns. Truly, it hurt like hell when I couldn't have the girl of my dreams but my wife (whom I met much later & at the time had few, if any of the qualities I admire) amazingly evolved to develop the traits I seek. Moreover, physically, she blossomed into a different woman altogether.

I hate to hand it to them but yes, my parents ultimately "forced" me onto a brighter path. Remember, it is often said that "what the youth standing cannot see, the sage sitting has already seen".

Not to say parents don't get it awfully wrong at times. I tell you, prayer is the key.
Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Mar 12, 2013

2 Likes

Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by Saipro(m): 4:04am On Mar 18, 2013
apocalypse: To think you resurrected this thread on my birthday gives me the impression you are trying to tell me something. Anyways . . . . . . . .

Twas coincidental as much as it may seem otherwise. Considering the oddness of the coincidence, indeed, the Fates may be up to something!
Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by BabaOyo(m): 6:05am On Mar 18, 2013
jidegirl12:

Hmmmm, o ma gbiyanju ke!!! Sugbon "gboro" ni o, ki i se "gboron"!!
Ara Eko spelling niyen o!!!
Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by BabaOyo(m): 6:25am On Mar 18, 2013
jidegirl12: I guess they know what's best for us cause they have your best interest .... that's how I see it tho

Language barrier was huge issue too.... his dad doesn't speak English and all that stuff,my Daddy just wasn't feeling him .

Also he's Educated but prefers trade... My Daddy doesn't like that, he asked him why he prefers trade over a cooperate career and he said he likes to be his own boss .,Daddy gave him countless things he could do to be his own boss but I guess containers are his passion. grin

Don't dish out what you can't take.
omo "my daddy".....hehehe...God bless my daddy o.!!!
In reality parental consent & blessing is always important in marriages especially for the women folks!!!
Imagine baby_123, if she had eloped & something wrong happens? Will she be willing to tell her parents? Who will she fall back on in times of trouble? The parents she disregarded before running away? A lot of people still damn the consequences and move ahead with their spouse but hey.......remember, they want your happiness more than theirs!!!
If you have tried beyond reasonable doubt to convince them and they still are adamant, with good reasons, pls take a 2nd look o.!! A word is enough!!
Oun ti agbalagba ri l'ori ijoko....bi omode ba gun ori iroko...ko ni ri o!!!
Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by Holyfield1(m): 5:09pm On Jul 06, 2015
Saipro:
It's something we're all familiar with and have encountered over time - either by experience or having met someone passing through the throes of it. Or seen it on TV. Whichever may be the case, what would you do if it were you? It's plaguing some of my boys and I and there seems to be no way out - no compromise, no common ground. Our spouses-to-be are tearing us to bits and our parents won't let us have peace of mind - even tried match-making (yup, old-school tactics). Not quite a cry for help - just an avenue to gather more knowledge and expand the database. Kind of like distributed thinking. Throw in all you've got - junk and all. Thanks!
hmmm
Re: You Want To Marry Her, Parents Dissent - What Do You Do? by Saipro(m): 7:55pm On Mar 19, 2022
Knock, knock ...

(1) (Reply)

Marriage In Absentia(pics) / Dear Future Husband.. / As A Mother Can You Tell Your Daugther The Story Of How You Were Disvirgined

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.