Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,483 members, 7,808,757 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? (16471 Views)

Is It Really Compulsory To Go To Church On Sundays?? / Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? / Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by ayodele123(m): 2:02pm On Feb 17, 2012
I attended a burial ceremony recently and was amazed at the manner money was wasted on a lifeless corpse going to rot away under the ground!. The coffin alone cost N150k.The grave was adorned with tiles but the dead man's residence had no tiles when he was alive.His children even painted their father's house after his death few days to the burial! The house was not painted when he was alive.

The corpse was lifted in a limousine he did not ride in when he was alive though he had a car anyway,  Four cows were slaughtered to entertain guests. And many other money sucking and guzzling events on display that day.The dead man was kept in the mortuary for about 4 months before his burial while the children were mobilizing resources for a display. The burial cost N3m and that is a very modest sum compared to others elsewhere.

My question is this: Why do people delay burials for one to six months in these parts especially among the Christian community and Southern Nigerians? What is the basis for costly burial ceremonies for a lifeless  body that will rot away under the ground in a matter of days and weeks? Immediately a man dies, his spirit departs the body and returns to God while the soul faces judgement (Hebrews 9:27). The body goes to dust.

Now if the dead man goes to hell, what is the point conducting an expensive burial for his lifeless body here on earth while the soul is burning away in Hell? Even if he goes to heaven, what is the basis for such waste of resources for a body that is going nowhere, that will rot away?

Is it really necessary to conduct burials this way? Why cant a corpse be buried within 7 days without the noisy oestantatious display of wealth by the relations? Is there any religious backing for this rubbish? Though i am a xtian by faith, I love the muslim way of burial within 24 hours in very simple fashion.

A corpse should just be buried in a quiet, simple manner even if he was a billionaire while alive. Afterall in the grave, all are equal there.

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by jfkenny(m): 7:41am On Aug 19, 2018
It is not necessary.
Humans are the architect of their problem. how can u spend more on dead than living.

28 Likes

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by enilove(m): 8:21am On Aug 19, 2018
ayodele123:
I attended a burial ceremony recently and was amazed at the manner money was wasted on a lifeless corpse going to rot away under the ground!. The coffin alone cost N150k.The grave was adorned with tiles but the dead man's residence had no tiles when he was alive.His children even painted their father's house after his death few days to the burial! The house was not painted when he was alive.The corpse was lifted in a limousine he did not ride in when he was alive though he had a car anyway,  Four cows were slaughtered to entertain guests. And many other money sucking and guzzling events on display that day.The dead man was kept in the mortuary for about 4 months before his burial while the children were mobilizing resources for a display. The burial cost N3m and that is a very modest sum compared to others elsewhere.

My question is this: Why do people delay burials for one to six months in these parts especially among the Christian community and Southern Nigerians? What is the basis for costly burial ceremonies for a lifeless  body that will rot away under the ground in a matter of days and weeks? Immediately a man dies, his spirit departs the body and returns to God while the soul faces judgement (Hebrews 9:27). The body goes to dust. Now if the dead man goes to hell, what is the point conducting an expensive burial for his lifeless body here on earth while the soul is burning away in Hell? Even if he goes to heaven, what is the basis for such waste of resources for a body that is going nowhere, that will rot away?
Is it really necessary to conduct burials this way? Why cant a corpse be buried within 7 days without the noisy oestantatious display of wealth by the relations? Is there any religious backing for this rubbish? Though i am a xtian by faith, I love the muslim way of burial within 24 hours in very simple fashion.
A corpse should just be buried in a quiet, simple manner even if he was a billionaire while alive. Afterall in the grave, all are equal there.

Ecclesiastes 1:14 KJV
I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit.

15 Likes

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:38am On Aug 19, 2018
Quote.
The coffin alone cost N150k
Unquote.

Really?
You haven't seen one of 7 Million naira?
We saw that sometimes ago at one of our barbecue parry.
We can only marvel at the sight!

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by UbanmeUdie: 8:39am On Aug 19, 2018
shocked

Ask the Binis, they know better!

2 Likes

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by Moneyspeakingz: 8:39am On Aug 19, 2018
I have always said it and will continue to say it, " expensive wedding,expensive burials,expensive birthday celebrations are not worth it at all". If only Nigerians can just let all this nonsense go and focus more on investing in the lives of others,this country would have been a great place.
Watch American movies,their celebrations are always done moderately I wonder who gave us this myopic thinking that if we dnt celebrate out death,they will come back to haunt us or do one yeye thing called "Sara" for them.
I am still waiting to be corrected,"99% of rich men in Nigeria dnt give to charity" no wonder as re where we are today..
Stupidity is when you can't take care of ur parents when they are alive and u kome dey do gud pikin wen they are dead

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by Rubbiish(m): 8:41am On Aug 19, 2018
WahalaDeyHere:

I heard from a reliable source that ghosts are placed in hierarchies in the other world based on how grande their burial was.... so yes it is. To avoid your loved one ending up an errand boy in the other realm.

Check out my Instagram @WahalaDeyHere

Lolzzz...
Bros u funny

2 Likes

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by id4sho(m): 8:41am On Aug 19, 2018
which Moslems, when SHIA and SUNNI Moslems keep corpse for days in mosques for days just to get media attention over there cause.
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by Handsomebeing(m): 8:41am On Aug 19, 2018
Unnecessary

2 Likes

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by Etuagievin(m): 8:42am On Aug 19, 2018
It's foolishness

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by HotMario: 8:42am On Aug 19, 2018
If you have the money, spend it.
If you do not have, don't borrow to bury a dead relative.

Someone who didn't take care of their parents while they we're alive will spend so much to give them a 'befitting burial'

1 Like

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by Shehucom(m): 8:44am On Aug 19, 2018
Ain't Nothing like a Muslim burial... no unnecessary expenses

12 Likes

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by pilarnig(m): 8:44am On Aug 19, 2018
I love the Muslim way of burial... You the child of the dead will not even cook. It is your relatives and well wishers that will cook for you. But my Yoruba people, the reverse is the case

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by Ningi2020(m): 8:45am On Aug 19, 2018
Lack of knowledge is the cause of all the rubbish going on in the land.. God bless the dead.

2 Likes

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by Feelinso(m): 8:45am On Aug 19, 2018
It is because it called celebration of life
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by Dasherz(f): 8:46am On Aug 19, 2018
This burial trend really got to me ... My uncle's burial had a budget of over 20million naira ... I was stunned .... Do U know how many more businesses can be added to the family with such amount of money .... Now grandpa just died at 99 and according to these hungry villagers he must be buried like a chief ..

Burials should be the cheapest event so far, it's a mourning not a celebration ... The craze with burials in this part of the world is just so annoying

8 Likes

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by RevenGeMission: 8:46am On Aug 19, 2018
Its waste of money , gbenga adeboye addressed the topic several years ago

1 Like

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by Nobody: 8:46am On Aug 19, 2018
One of the numerous beauty of Islam.
MashaAllah

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by Moneyspeakingz: 8:48am On Aug 19, 2018
Dasherz:
This burial trend really got to me ... My uncle's burial had a budget of over 20million naira ... I was stunned .... Do U know how many more businesses can be added to the family with such amount of money .... Now grandpa just died at 99 and according to these hungry villagers he must be buried like a chief ..

Burials should be the cheapest event so far, it's a mourning not a celebration ... The craze with burials in this part of the world is just so annoying
Make una ask them if na their papa

7 Likes

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by CanineOfJackal: 8:50am On Aug 19, 2018
Dasherz:

Which state buries that way? 20million for burial

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by Sunnycliff(m): 8:50am On Aug 19, 2018
Just one of the greatest vanities of life

1 Like

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by itiswellandwell: 8:50am On Aug 19, 2018
Most expensive burials are just for show offs. To show that the family of the deceased are well to do. It won't stop anytime soon as there are lots of people with inferiority complex, they need people validation to live their lives.

Cheap s7 edge. Check my signature.

6 Likes

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by maberry(m): 8:51am On Aug 19, 2018
Not necessarily
I personally think if you have so much money and you feel the need to honour your dead, then no problem
But going beyond your means just to bury the dead when the dead sees it not, is not wise

2 Likes

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by emmyreb(f): 8:51am On Aug 19, 2018
might be necessary to some people but to me it's a NO. what's essence show off?? people will just eat and go just like that�� anyhow I hate big ceremonial parties, I don't why��

modified
do say this to my mum....iya Lara if you die, I won't participate in big burial for you and her look sometimes do appear she sees it wrong but will tell her immediately to always pray I become rich so as to take perfect best care of her when she alive so thst even when she's old, she won't fear death

in short, all on my mind is to be rich and take csre of both of them coz I own them both alot
#ki olorun majeki won fi aisan jeun omo

check my signature for clearance sales���

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by CanineOfJackal: 8:51am On Aug 19, 2018
If only we know that the dead are not conscious of what we are doing.

2 Likes

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by vashkayanna(m): 8:53am On Aug 19, 2018
Empower, help and love people when they were alive and not when dead.

1 Like

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by Pavore9: 8:53am On Aug 19, 2018
Waste of resources.

2 Likes

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by femijay8271(m): 8:54am On Aug 19, 2018
Wetin me sabi self
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by daveP(m): 8:57am On Aug 19, 2018
It's something I've always heard my dad talk about for decades since I was a kid.

I recall 6years ago, my grand uncle died and a family meeting was called.

In the meeting, those who knew my dad for his outright vehemence against squandering of money on lavish things were ready for him.

They budgeted 16m for the burial.

My dad said its better they divert such funds to better ventures that can affect lives for years. They shouted at him despite being the eldest in the meeting.

Last last 6cows were killed and some several bushmeat as well.

All of them are broke now.... like they came apologize for their conduct that day.

Funny enough, on my own personal observation, I discovered everyone on the Christian side that lost a loved one always write "Gone to Glory" as though they knew where such a soul went to. what kind of blind hope is that?

A sister's account in 2010 I can't forget.

Her dad was old and he was mean and wicked in deeds and actions. He went to church ceremoniously. He fell ill and the morning he was to die, he began to shout "fire fire fire, no not this place now.... "

No matter how dumb you wanna be, you'll know he saw where he was going to spend eternity. He gave up the ghost with a finger in his mouth. His last words were "O MA se o"

They still wrote Gone to Glory on his Burial ceremony order of program!!!

She was the only one that didn't do anything cos she was sad that despite efforts for him to change, he was still in his Adamic self. It's not being judgemental. It's just reality.

The OP's account is right.

They'll leave an old man in illness in a rural area in poverty and no show of care for him. Only to know on the burial day that he has son's and daughters that are very rich here and there and are well placed in the society and travel abroad frequently.

Solomon was right, all is vanity and a chasing after the wind....

Be sure of where you want to spend Eternity!!!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by InvertedHammer: 8:57am On Aug 19, 2018
/
It boils down to marketing. Emotional industries are highly profitable. Eg. In US, the marriage industry was estimated to be $54.3 billion in 2013. Funeral service industry is not far behind. The same way Christmas and Easter have been hijacked by retail industries. At least US is honest enough to identify them as industries. When you factor in that blacks and wasteful spendings are like 5&6, one can understand why Nigerian Christians fight to outdo one another on funeral expenses. Some families spend so much on funerals that the living are left with nothing to survive after the jamboree. Some even go into debts.

/

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ibeno Community, Upenekang Host Exciting Boat Regatta Festival (Pictures) / Nairaland Party! / 5 Life-changing Things To Do This September

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.