Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,472 members, 7,808,702 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:39 PM

Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? (14560 Views)

Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? / Is Unilag Dli Form Out? / Is Unilag Post Graduate Result Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Feb 17, 2012
gokuu:

goat, I'm sure you tried all your life to be an AKOKITE and you failed woefully, now u are simply 'beefing'. Jealousy kills and causes wrinkles sha!
afam4eva:

I thought as much. Na him make you dey defend the school.
I tire ooo , Like say we no no as he dey go 4 lag,
Talk of lag 10 years ago, we know d standard, not now that d skool os living on past glory
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by jmaine: 5:35pm On Feb 17, 2012
afam4eva:

Btw, i'm not beefing Unilag. Why should i when almost all my siblings attended the school. [size=14pt]I just think [/size]there are more "party smart" people their than there are "book smart".

Your thinking . . .not the reality . . .no probs bruv . . .we just dey flex the funny thread jawe . . .

ogbeche77:

I tire ooo , Like say we no no as he dey go 4 lag,
Talk of lag 10 years ago, we know d standard, not now that d skool os living on past glory

So the 1st class graduates na past glory . . . .say something else abeg . . .
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Feb 17, 2012
I was there at their convocation 2 days

UNILAG is better, there are a lot genius there I met personally.

The outdoor and environment is more better than any university in Nigeria but the teaching skills is low. Accommodation is another big disaster
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Feb 17, 2012
afam4eva:

Btw, i'm not beefing Unilag. Why should i when almost all my siblings attended the school. I just think there are more "party smart" people their than there are "book smart".
Because they dnt tell u when they go to the library abi?, There are lay abouts everywhere, My own parole in lag was circular church at Classes 8-4pm Church at 6pm library 7pm to 10.30pm, Barbeque party (when there is one) 10.30pm to 12am, Everyday All day, Na reason why year one students too dey fail in unilag, Them neva sabi say u gast do parole with brain, ℓ☺ℓ, BEEF is good, It shows ur meat is tastier than others,
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by omenziate(m): 6:10pm On Feb 17, 2012
2 bleeped up skuls according 2 webometric ranking and world standards, just dat one is more bleeped up dan d other.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by harryakon: 6:11pm On Feb 17, 2012
i don't particularly like covenant university but i thik most people ther have a higher JAMB score than most other universities and the fact that there aren't too many extracuricular activities that a young person would be interested in makes concentrating on your studies quite easy
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by SlimX: 6:29pm On Feb 17, 2012
I don't like being dragged into this "bragging rights" issue, but I tell you, to make a 1st class is not easy ooh. I finished with that from UNILAG and I know what I went through, I had to choose between Social life and my books and I was always focused 98% of the time even though it wasn't easy. I don't think it should be different with any other school unless they just award it like beans, otherwise, give it up to any First class holder, it takes more than simply intelligence especially when you are schooling in a Federal University.

1 Like

Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by 2good(m): 6:31pm On Feb 17, 2012
Why do you guys bring up this topic each year Unilag convocate students? I'm kind of tired of educating you people what an  average first class student from Unilag achieves when they graduate and go into the industry or pursue their career abroad. Quality of education is lower in 100% of Nigerian university relatively to what you'll get in the western universities, but I am confident that some of the smartest brains in Nigeria pass through Unilag
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by Afam4eva(m): 6:38pm On Feb 17, 2012
If you say smart, I may gree with you. But that does not mean they're bookish.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Feb 17, 2012
The comparison should be between Nigerian universities & its foreign counterparts instead of debating about local champs, mtchew!
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by aurenflani: 6:53pm On Feb 17, 2012
unilag is better in that it is the university of nigerians and the other the university of religous fanatics. hope this answered your question. next pls.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by 2good(m): 6:59pm On Feb 17, 2012
x

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by vicade(m): 7:15pm On Feb 17, 2012
Story.

People in private unis et la babcock and covenant uni also get scholarships and great jobs too. I know some Phd holders who are 26 years old or less and are products of babcock and covenant.covenant just partnered with SAP in training. And babcock is making strides. Unilag is all name. I can speak for their business school and I must say unilags business school is crap. Total Crap. For me if you can afford it covenant is better. Unilag is all past glory. Old lecturers teaching syllabus of the last century with special focus on making it difficult for students to pass.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by Afam4eva(m): 7:18pm On Feb 17, 2012
So, are you implying that it's only Unilag students that go on to schools like stanfors? I have people from OSU  going on to ivy-league universities. So, what exactly is your point?
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by tanimola22: 7:25pm On Feb 17, 2012
^^^^He is letting people know that those who did very well at Unilag also did very well elsewhere. That is an unbiased interpretation of his post.

Nonetheless, anyone is free to inteprete anything the way (s)he wishes.

2good, you just mentioned the ones you know ooooo. There are still many out there which I don't feel like mentioning. I am tired of boring people.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by 2good(m): 7:27pm On Feb 17, 2012
afam4eva:

So, are you implying that it's only Unilag students that go on to schools like stanfors? I have people from OSU  going on to ivy-league universities. So, what exactly is your point?

My last post is so easy to read and understand, so if you are really smart, you will not make the last post you did. Why do you guys want others not to achieve something simply because you couldn't do thesame? That is my problem with the black race, always against the progress of fellow blacks and refusing to admit people are smarter than they are.
Also, any first class graduate even from a state university is smart because you don't get it by mistake but by hard work and determination. The people I taked about in my last post, were from my own graduating class alone in one year.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by tanimola22: 7:31pm On Feb 17, 2012
vicade:

Story.

People in private unis et la babcock and covenant uni also get scholarships and great jobs too. I know some Phd holders who are 26 years old or less and are products of babcock and covenant.covenant just partnered with SAP in training. And babcock is making strides. Unilag is all name. I can speak for their business school and I must say unilags business school is crap. Total Crap. For me if you can afford it covenant is better. Unilag is all past glory. Old lecturers teaching syllabus of the last century with special focus on making it difficult for students to pass.

Besides Lagos Business School, which other business school in Nigeria is not crappy? Has Unilag ever boasted that its business school is world class? We are talking about undergraduate achievement(s) here. Let's stick to that.

Besides LBS, there is no other business school in Nigeria. The rest are crappy. This is my opinion.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by tyor: 7:35pm On Feb 17, 2012
I dont see the argument here, Those people dat got Phd in Exxonmobil, MSc in Total and Prof in Chevron would have gotten same if they attended Lasu. The school will not make u who you are not. If u're a smart kid, whether Lasu, Ekpoma, Covenant, Babcock, Ife, ilorin, unilag,etc, u'll achieve wateva u opt to achieve.

NOTE: Let Unilag graduates occupy Total, Chevron, Mobil, Mckinsey, Bloomberg, PwC, KPMG, , bla bla bla. while LASU, AUCHIPOLY, EKPOMA, ANATECH, KWASU, KOGISTU, ORUMBA Graduates occupy National Assembly, Federal Ministries, State houses, etc

This is a silly thread!
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by GboyegaD(m): 7:44pm On Feb 17, 2012
This topic sulks. How did this make the front page as the basis of comparison is nothing to write home about. By now we should be thinking of how to compare our schools to better schools and not comparing between school 6000 and 6001 in the World University rating. Do your best in school and be the best you can be in the near future.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by 2good(m): 7:44pm On Feb 17, 2012
tyor:

I dont see the argument here,  Those people dat got Phd in Exxonmobil, MSc in Total and Prof in Chevron would have gotten same if they attended Lasu. The school will not make u who you are not. If u're a smart kid, whether Lasu, Ekpoma, Covenant, Babcock, Ife, ilorin, unilag,etc, u'll achieve wateva u opt to achieve.

NOTE: Let Unilag graduates occupy Total, Chevron, Mobil, Mckinsey, Bloomberg, PwC, KPMG, , bla bla bla. while LASU, AUCHIPOLY, EKPOMA, ANATECH, KWASU, KOGISTU, ORUMBA Graduates occupy National Assembly, Federal Ministries, State houses, etc

This is a silly thread!

Why are you angry? You need a change of reasoning from the status quo.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by uniqueren(f): 7:50pm On Feb 17, 2012
Covenant university and UNILAG, sori or where u trying to compare it to poly nekede cos i just can't see on what grounds those two can be compared
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by tyor: 7:58pm On Feb 17, 2012
2good:

Why are you angry? You need a change of reasoning from the status quo.

If my reasoning shud change, i'd wish that d same circumstances that forced some pple to attend AuchiPoly and Kwarapoly befall u and the rest of ur lineage.

If u have half of a brain in ur Unilag head, u'll know dat some pple wished to be in unilag but circumstances pushed 'em elsewhere e.g. private schools or even polytechnics and they turn out to be in dat employment, u hav on ur 2012 prayerlist.

pussylips oshi
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by nigerisgreat: 7:59pm On Feb 17, 2012
It does not matter how many students get first class. In US, most universities use what is called a straight line formula: 25 percent of the class is given a grade of A. So, twenty five percent of students from an Ivy League university and a very low class college will be the same. A college is rather judge by the quality of students admitted, prestige of faculty members, and the rigor of courses offered. Professors in Africa are very stiff on grades. Anytime I write a recommendation for a student, I make sure to include note stated that the grading system in Africa is very different. I have seen a lot of students with a second lower from Africa who really do very well in America.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Feb 17, 2012
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by chuks49(m): 8:27pm On Feb 17, 2012
You pr!cks celebrate schools dat re anonymous outside our boarders. Am out. TGIF.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by 2good(m): 8:31pm On Feb 17, 2012
tyor:

If my reasoning shud change, i'd wish that d same circumstances that forced some pple to attend AuchiPoly and Kwarapoly befall u and the rest of ur lineage.

If u have half of a brain in ur Unilag head, u'll know dat some pple wished to be in unilag but circumstances pushed 'em elsewhere e.g. private schools or even polytechnics and they turn out to be in dat employment, u hav on ur 2012 prayerlist.

pussylips oshi

So your problem is that you could not get an admission in Unilag. Still not an excuse to talk bad about people that went there, instead you should think of what to do to make your life better. Also like I said earlier, Unilag is not a world class university when compared with Universities in the west, likewise every other Nigerian University. But within the confines of Nigeria as a country, a high proportion of the smartest brains in Nigeria go there that's the reason for the high first class rate you see the school producing.

1 Like

Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by iyes(m): 8:41pm On Feb 17, 2012
Third class in some universities will beat first class of others flat in Nigeria.

Forget about statistics, ratios and percentages. Figures in themselves don't tell the true stories, and can be manipulated to achieve any end.

Take a quick check, ask HRs of any company in Nigeria and they will tell you which school's graduates pass their entrance tests more.

Another way you can judge the quality of a school is to check how many of their alumni you find in companies.
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by Koikoi(m): 8:46pm On Feb 17, 2012
Poster must've dropped out of lag and made 1st class in convenant. Don't worry life's a long journey
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by tanimola22: 8:54pm On Feb 17, 2012
iyes:

Third class in some universities will beat first class of others flat in Nigeria.

Forget about statistics, ratios and percentages. Figures in themselves don't tell the true stories, and can be manipulated to achieve any end.

Take a quick check, ask HRs of any company in Nigeria and they will tell you which school's graduates pass their entrance tests more.

Another way you can judge the quality of a school is to check how many of their alumni you find in companies.

Mind you, job entrance tests are different from academic exams. Many of those job entrance tests are not designed for the most studious people to ace. Passing many job entrance tests requires raw intelligence and being able to work under intense pressure. Getting a first class, on the other hand, requires plenty of dedication and reading and generally working very hard. For job aptitude tests, people are given a maximum of 20 minutes to complete some very trivial but tricky stuff, while university exams require more depth and mastery of important concepts that are tested for a minimum of 2 hours. Some university exams even span for as long as 3 hours.

A better way to judge the achievements of brilliant students after undergraduate studies is, in my opinion, to measure how well they perform at graduate school, as well as the number of papers they are able to publish in their fields during their graduate research and beyond.

T22

1 Like

Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 9:14pm On Feb 17, 2012
@OP,

CONvenant university needs to raise its profile in the area of research considerably before this comparison can be considered fair.

Though not the best of examples, the following gives an idea of the gulf that currently exists between these two universities

Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Feb 17, 2012
1,701 hits for Covenant University
15,600 hit for UniLag

It gets really interesting when you drill down on the papers published by students at Covenant
Re: Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? by Areyourdayg: 9:32pm On Feb 17, 2012
This post is incoherent. Doesn't add up jor

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Korean Students Sue Govt After University Admission Exam Ended 90 Seconds Early / What To Know About "ADMISSION List"in Nigerian Universities / Please Which Chemistry Textbook Is Best For Advance Level

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.