Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,647 members, 7,801,884 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:42 AM

Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed (2611 Views)

Cheap Car Prices On jiji ng: Real Or Just A Scam? / (Sold) Ridiculous Bargain!. Range Rover, Hyundai Elantra And Mikano Gen For #5m / Ridiculous Car Prices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by sunkyshow(m): 5:45pm On Feb 18, 2012
RECENTLY I JOINED N/L, AND I'M SO SUPRISED TO SEE RIDICULOUS PRICES MOST SELLER TAGGED THEIR CARS, PLS FORGET ABT NEGOTIATING, EVEN IF IT WAS IMPORTED FROM US OR ANYWER. IT SO RIDICULOUS TO SELL SUCH CAR WIT THAT AMOUNT. E.g HOW CAN SUMONE SELL "CAMRY 2001 (ALMOST 200K MILEAGE) FOR 1.4M ANOTHER GUY ON NAIRALAND WANTS TO SELL "REG COROLLA 2004 (200K MILEAGE ) FOR 900K". I LIVE IN D UK, CARS ARE NT SOLD LIKE THAT IN D UK!!! MY NAIJA PEOPLE WOT IS HAPPENING? ABEG I DNT UNDERSTAND THIS FORUM O
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by odeexpress(m): 8:12pm On Feb 18, 2012
Some of the prices are ridiculous indeed. I was also pissed when I saw the Camry with almost 200k mileage for 1.4 Million naira.
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by guttentag(m): 8:24pm On Feb 18, 2012
Bro the matter tire me, can u believe that i cannot find a good car around my budget of 700k, they keep telling me millions
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by KunleA2(m): 9:09pm On Feb 18, 2012
The last time i checked, its an open market and a free country. Its not compulsory that you buy a car on Nairaland. You can buy in your area if you are not happy with what you see here.

There is no point of getting upset with anything you see here. Lots of dealers and lots of cars are all over Nigeria  undecided
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by sunkyshow(m): 9:14pm On Feb 18, 2012
@odeexpress, i wonder o! shey naija people dnt check mileage b4 purchasing any cars, ? i realise dat most of these sellers make more emphases on " clean, super clean, neatly used, etc, than d mileage, service history etc. perhaps most of them dnt paste d mileage of d cars (pls take note). abi na cleanness, we won chop? things are nt done here in d uk. make una make dis forum interesting o, phew!
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by sunkyshow(m): 9:29pm On Feb 18, 2012
@Kunle-A, although its an open market (agreed), and their are cars everywher, all over d world. yea i agree, mind u, d reason y we are on this forum is to appreciate and value our OWN NAIJA BUSINESS. Mr kunle-A, i believe this forum should b a market where prices are facinating and interesting and we shouldnt discourage people wit ridiculous prices esp wit cars dat have aparently passed d peak of their life'span. thnks
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by sunkyshow(m): 9:37pm On Feb 18, 2012
@guttentag, even d carmy 2001 wit 200kmileage does worth 700k, anywy lets hope u'l get a better ride wit dat amount. cheers
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by Nobody: 9:58pm On Feb 18, 2012
if you are smart chap, all you need to do is start selling cars at cheaper rate , that way you close the gap and earn youself a name
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by Adeone: 10:08pm On Feb 18, 2012
aguiyi:

if you are smart chap, all you need to do is start selling cars at cheaper rate , that way you close the gap and earn youself a name
I think that's a good point most of these complainants are missing.If second-hand cars are so cheap in the UK and other places like you claim,then open your own car mart and voila you will make enough money for yourself ans save other's from greedy car dealers
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by Nobody: 10:10pm On Feb 18, 2012
the complaints are a case of misplaced priority
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by Nobody: 9:19am On Feb 19, 2012
anyone on NL has the right to ask whatever prices they want for their vehicles, if you dont like it then DONT BUY IT!
people are in business to MAKE MONEY, and they will try to earn as much as possible, from their investments. who are YOU to demand that they lower their prices?! is it your money invested? is it your cars for sale? is it your business?

same thing is happening in all walks of life, how much does it really cost to build a house? yet, go see house prices. how much does a champagne bottle cost? yet, go see how much they cost in the clubs. how much does it cost sef to get the petrol from the oil fields to the pumps? yet, go see the price at petrol stations.

HE WHO HOLDS THE GOLD; MAKES THE RULES!
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by KunleA2(m): 10:05am On Feb 19, 2012
It amazes me how people come unto Nairaland expecting the car to be free. I am sure that if you can find the vehicle you are looking for cheap in your area, there will be no reason to Nairaland.

While some people may be asking outrageous prices (You are not forced to buy) it amazes me how some buyers negotiate for cars in these forum.

A seller can have a 2010 Camry for N1m, someone will still come along and offer N500k  undecided

People will continue to be duped as long as they are looking for unreasonable prices.
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by v2: 10:42pm On Feb 19, 2012
Bros, make una check out ebay.in (INDIA), ebay.co.uk (UK), ebay.com (USA) e.t.c. offers a competitive platform and wide reach for people to sell their items cheaper and faster with more turn over. You can even buy from there and resell. For here dem go sell registered car for price wey pass first class tokumbo of the same car. Some cars in nairaland don celebrate their second year birthday. If you sell five cars and make 500k is better than putting the 500k as profit for a single car and never sell it. Enough is being said. Free world, free market.
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by sunkyshow(m): 11:28pm On Feb 20, 2012
@v2, thanks for ur comment, @kunle-A, i agree wit u as well, bt wen sum1 place a price o 1.4m on camry 2001(200k mileage), we shldnt encourage dat on NL. anywy, wel as u said, its a free world, open market.
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by doofanc: 12:20am On Feb 21, 2012
What percentage of profit do the dealers put?
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by DonSegmond(m): 2:38am On Feb 21, 2012
sunky-show:

RECENTLY I JOINED N/L, AND I'M SO SUPRISED TO SEE RIDICULOUS PRICES MOST SELLER TAGGED THEIR CARS, PLS FORGET ABT NEGOTIATING, EVEN IF IT WAS IMPORTED FROM US OR ANYWER. IT SO RIDICULOUS TO SELL SUCH CAR WIT THAT AMOUNT. E.g HOW CAN SUMONE SELL "CAMRY 2001 (ALMOST 200K MILEAGE) FOR 1.4M ANOTHER GUY ON NAIRALAND WANTS TO SELL "REG COROLLA 2004 (200K MILEAGE ) FOR 900K". I LIVE IN D UK, CARS ARE NT SOLD LIKE THAT IN D UK!!! MY NAIJA PEOPLE WOT IS HAPPENING? ABEG I DNT UNDERSTAND THIS FORUM O

Imagine a car shipped from the US

Time to buy it from another country, maybe fees to give to someone to buy it if the dealer doesn't travel himself
If the dealer does travel, cover cost of his travel
Every city doesn't have ports, you can buy a car and have to drive/pay for it to be transported to as shipping port
Perhaps cost to fix a few things
Cost to ship it
Cost to clear it from customs
Cost in selling/advertising
Plus profit margin

You can see how such cars can easily double/triple in cost, when the cost of newer cars are so expensive, it stands to be that even used cars can be expensive too.

BTW, I'm not a dealer, and I agree that cars in Nigeria are over priced, but I think there are deals to be hard if you are willing to drive a very much older car. It's not a must to drive a 2006 car, There are 1996's and even 1986s cars out there for sale.
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by femmy2010(m): 6:08am On Feb 21, 2012
@donsegmond,
You said it all in your last paragraph.
Peeps should allow their cash to buy what their money can afford and not hope for a miracle price for their dream car.
If it is expensive,don't but.Simple.
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by Nobody: 6:19am On Feb 21, 2012
sunky-show:

What you and others missing is the fact that exchange rate is not what it used to be. It is not the fault of the sellers, the whole problem is all about the dollars exchange rate which is not anything close to being friendly in the last three years.

Check the prices of different vehicles on cars.com, then do the exchange rate, then add $1400 for shipping and $300 for towing the car to the port, then you know what the deal is.

Again, there is a lot of difference between cars that come from Europe/Uk to the ones that come from the U.S or Canada. In this case, you don't just compare apple to mango. The ones that come form the U.K need to be converted to left hand drive. If you add all that, how much do you get?
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by kuntash: 6:25am On Feb 21, 2012
@ Poster, take it or leave it, what happenz in the oil  industry in naija is most likely to be wats gwan here!

Micro Cabal!, dont worry, we can handle dem,

whenever a thread as this comes u, u see dem roaring and saying all sort of things as excuses, this and that, u want a free car, gbo gbo e gbo gboe ,

Bottom line is many sellers here are greedy,

permit me to give it up for some sellers like Emperor, Calculux, just to mention a few,

I have reviewed Kunle's posts ealier some yrs ago, I must say its rather different now, abi bros u sef don join d cabal?    grin grin

I am not a car seller, but its easy and possible to know actual prices of some cars, I must tell u , many are quite ridiculous ,
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by FPoints: 12:04am On Feb 25, 2012
You all will be surprised that a 2004 Honda Accord, fabric seats, 190k miles sold for 5800k at the auction this week! Add auction fees of another $300 or so, and you're already at $6,100.

Add another $100 for doing tune-up, oil change, service etc, then add shipping costs from say Texas at $1500, then clearing costs of apprx $1700 (280k naira).

You're already at $9,400 which is already 1.5M naira, landing costs before profit.

I think people need to be informed of all these costs then they'll understand better.

This is why most people go buy salvage/water flooded cars, no airbags, no safety restraint, structural damaged etc and sell slightly cheaper to people - thinking they've gotten good deals.

That extra 200k you think you're saving could easily hit you up for 500k of repairs in no time.

Buyer beware!
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by sunkyshow(m): 2:58pm On Mar 06, 2012
tnx everyone for your contributions, please lets continue to make this forum an interesting platform for all buyers. God bless
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by Chizzybenjamin(m): 3:56pm On Mar 13, 2012
Kunle A:I no u do mean well 4 us here in 9ja but wat sum contributors inputed abt our saturated yet strained mkt is true.
B4 it was so xpensiv we but frm cotonou,now u can get very clean used cars 4 even lesser amt in NL.
Sunky show,tks 4 d team spirit.I sincerely havnt seen cars cheaprr anywhere but in NL.U c pple dt wud advice,encourage n guide u 2 a good deal @ no price.
Cst of shippin n clearin remains very high in Nigeria hence d high cost,but pple buy elsewhere 4 higher cst.
So am in luv w NL,but wud encourage d mgt team to ensure scouting 4 a choice is made easier by creatin a portal dt can categorise cars by price make n year.by so doing u cud even buy a car n resell asap here on NL.
Tak d full advantage of dis beautiful n sincere approach 2 drive a viable auto biz in 9ja.
Am very proud 2 say 9gerians r bcumin more sincere n honest n thus am proud 2 b associated w NL 4 over 4 yrs.
I luv 9ja
Re: Ridiculous Car Selling Prices On Nairaland: I'm Pissed by Fhemmmy: 4:47pm On Mar 13, 2012
FPoints: You all will be surprised that a 2004 Honda Accord, fabric seats, 190k miles sold for 5800k at the auction this week! Add auction fees of another $300 or so, and you're already at $6,100.

Add another $100 for doing tune-up, oil change, service etc, then add shipping costs from say Texas at $1500, then clearing costs of apprx $1700 (280k naira).

You're already at $9,400 which is already 1.5M naira, landing costs before profit.

I think people need to be informed of all these costs then they'll understand better.

This is why most people go buy salvage/water flooded cars, no airbags, no safety restraint, structural damaged etc and sell slightly cheaper to people - thinking they've gotten good deals.

That extra 200k you think you're saving could easily hit you up for 500k of repairs in no time.

Buyer beware!

You have said it all . . . But most people dont really wanna hear this kinda stuff.

(1) (Reply)

Why Buy Cars In Nigeria ? Best Offer You Can Ever Get / A Nissan Quest 2005 For Sale 1.250 Milly SOLD / 2012 Honda Civic (european Specs)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.