Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,677 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:16 PM

BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities (11286 Views)

BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo / BBC Documentary On The West African Dogon Masks / BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by anonymous6(f): 11:09pm On Feb 18, 2012
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by anonymous6(f): 1:26pm On Jul 22, 2012
Opinions?
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by Nobody: 2:34am On Sep 30, 2012
Not yet sis.
I will check it out!! cool

I think its time west africans start talking more about this
and lets put egypt to rest.

let's start glorifying the greatness that is much closer to home. cool
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by anonymous6(f): 5:35pm On Oct 23, 2012
*Kails*:

I think its time west africans start talking more about this
and lets put egypt to rest.

let's start glorifying the greatness that is much closer to home. cool

Amen, Cosign 100%
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by Nobody: 9:45pm On Oct 23, 2012
Mansa Musa - the richest man ever was from West Africa!!

Proud of that legendary black man!!
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by Nobody: 9:53pm On Oct 23, 2012

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by anonymous6(f): 7:42pm On Oct 24, 2012
shymexx: Mansa Musa - the richest man ever was from West Africa!!

True to a extent but I don't agree with his Muslim religion he practiced
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by anonymous6(f): 7:44pm On Oct 24, 2012
*Kails*:
smiley smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEqqmmY6bLo

Oh yes , I have seen this video, thank you though. This video should be discussed more
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by Nobody: 9:17pm On Oct 24, 2012
anonymous6:

Oh yes , I have seen this video, thank you though. This video should be discussed more

i definitely agree sis.

We need to discuss this more. Let's begin shall we? smiley

Shymmex, Fulaman, Pagan_9ja...we need you guys on this thread to offer some input. smiley

Disccus the Fulani, Yoruba and Hausa history. I am interested!! smiley
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by Nobody: 9:18pm On Oct 24, 2012
from: http://www.globaled.org/nyworld/materials/african2.html

[size=18pt]ANCIENT WEST AFRICAN KINGDOMS: AN OVERVIEW[/size]

I. Introduction

African history is filled with many developments and events which help students to better understand world history, as well as the condition of societies today. In learning about Africa, exposure to specific communities, cultures and civilizations can provide greater insight to general trends throughout the continent's history. Three distinct ancient kingdoms of West Africa, help to bring out this point. These are Ghana, Mali and Songhay, known as the Sahelian kingdoms.

The Sahel, which is the region of West Africa just south of the Sahara desert became established as an important area of trade around 700 A.D. Advancements in transportation, such as with the use of camels instead of horses, allowed for long-distance travel across the Sahara, This region and the kingdoms which arose in it were connected by trade with various parts of Africa, Europe and Asia. In the course of almost a millennium, it flourished at varying times as an economic, political, cultural and religious center.

II. Time Period of Kingdoms

A) Ghana: One of the earliest known kingdoms in this part of West Africa, Ghana was dominated by the Soninke, a Mande speaking people living near the southern border of the Sahara. This kingdom lasted from 750 A.D. to 1200 A.D. It became known as the "land of gold" for its role as an economic intermediary within the gold trade from south to north. Ghana came to a decline in 1075 with the invasion of the Almoravids, who were mainly Berbers from the north.

B) Mali: Also built upon the monopolization of trade, this kingdom came to power in 1200 A.D. and lasted until 1500 A.D. It encompassed most of West Africa north of the forested region. One of its greatest leaders, Sundiata is praised in several accounts by griot story-tellers for uniting the Malian empire. It was in the 1400's that Mali began to decline due to a series of weak kings and the decentralization of its influence.

C) Songhay: This kingdom existed under the control of Mali, but began to break away and establish itself around 1350 A.D. and remained until 1600 A.D. Songhay was larger than Mali and was centered along the Niger river. During this time, the city of Timbuktu intensified as a center of Islamic learning, attracting scholars from around the world. The empire was so large that it became quite difficult to control and fell due to a series of revolts.

III. Historical Figures and Places

A) Tunka Manin: One of the most notable kings of Ghana, he was known for his formidable army and a splendid royal court. He ruled during the 11th century.

B) Sundiata Keita: The founder of Mali, Sundiata rose from a royal slave and magician to a leader, establishing major territories through which gold was traded. He introduced, the cultivation and weaving of cotton into the region. Sundiata unified the empire not only through commercial links but by laying the foundation for a common cultural identity. As one of Mali's greatest heroes, his life is recounted in griot storytelling tradition. The epic stories tell that he was born lame, but was cured by a miracle and later became a great hunter and warrior. Sundiata's use of supernatural powers are said to have helped him to defeat his enemies and form the empire of Mali, which means "where the king resides".

C) Mansa Musa: This king of Mali ruled from 1312 to 1337 and under his regime, the borders of Mali expanded greatly into more trade routes and wealth-producing areas. As a devout Muslim, he embarked on a pilgrimage to Mecca, the holy city of Islam. It is said that he caused quite a stir due to the enormous number of attendants and amount of gold he took on his journey. When he passed through Cairo, he gave so much gold to the residents that the price of the commodity fell and the whole economy of the city was affected.

D) Timbuktu: This Malian city first gained prominence under the reign of Mansa Musa. It became a major cultural and religious center of the world. Through Mansa Musa's patronage, vast libraries were built and Islamic universities were endowed. It served as a meeting place for the finest poets, scholars and artists of Africa and the Middle East.

E) Askia Muhammad: Renowned not only for political and military genius, this ruler of the Songhay empire from 1493 to 1528 was also praised for his piety. He was quite charitable to those in need and like Mansa Musa, made a pilgrimage to Mecca. As he commanded more territory than any other West African ruler, Muhammad developed the art of government to a high level of sophistication. He opened the ranks of government offices, establishing an organization which was a precursor to the modem concept of a professional civil service. He also modernized his army, developing better training and discipline methods.
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by Nobody: 9:24pm On Oct 24, 2012
shymexx: Mansa Musa - the richest man ever was from West Africa!!

do you know anything of general west african history prior to his era?

anyone? smiley

this is what i got from wikipedia:

Prehistory
Early human settlers from northern holocene societies arrived in West Africa around 12,000 B.C.

Sedentary farming began in, or around the fifth millennium B.C, as well as the domestication of cattle. By 1500 B.C, iron working technology allowed an expansion of agricultural productivity, and the first city-states later formed. northern tribes developed walled settlements and non-walled settlements that numbered at 400.

In the forest region, Iron Age cultures began to flourish, and an inter-region trade began to appear.The desertification of the Sahara and the climatic change of the coast cause trade with upper Mediterranean peoples to be impended.

The domestication of the camel allowed the development of a trans-Saharan trade with cultures across the Sahara, including Carthage and the Berbers; major exports included gold, cotton cloth, metal ornaments and leather goods, which were then exchanged for salt, horses, textiles, and other such materials. Local leather, cloth, and gold also contributed to the abundance of prosperity for many of the following empires.

Empires
Further information: Ghana Empire and Mali Empire

The development of the region's economy allowed more centralized states and civilizations to form, beginning with the Nok culture which began 1000 B.C. and the Ghana Empire which first flourished between the 1st and 3rd centuries which later gave way to the Mali Empire. In current day Mauritania, there exists archaeological sites in the towns of Tichit and Oualata that were initially constructed around 2000 B.C., and was found to have originated from the Soninke branch of the Mandé peoples. Also, based on the archaeology of city of Kumbi Saleh in modern-day Mauritania, the Mali empire came to dominate much of the region until its defeat by Almoravid invaders in 1052.

The Sosso Empire sought to fill the void, but was defeated (c. 1240) by the Mandinka forces of Sundiata Keita, founder of the new Mali Empire. The Mali Empire continued to flourish for several centuries, most particularly under Sundiata's grandnephew) Musa I, before a succession of weak rulers led to its collapse under Mossi, Tuareg and Songhai invaders. In the 15th century, the Songhai would form a new dominant state based on Gao, in the Songhai Empire, under the leadership of Sonni Ali and Askia Mohammed.

Meanwhile, south of the Sudan, strong city states arose in Igboland, such as the 10th century Kingdom of Nri,which helped birth the arts and customs of the Igbo people, Bono in the 12th century which eventually culminated in the formation the all-powerful Akan Empire of Ashanti, while Ife and Benin City rose to prominence around the 14th century. Further east, Oyo arose as the dominant Yoruba state and the Aro Confederacy as a dominant Igbo state in modern-day Nigeria.
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 24, 2012
Kind of off topic...but gearing towards what i want to promote..
we focus too much on egypt but not other parts of africa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZdyQaTJOOw
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 24, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i2dB2mIXhk&feature=share&list=PL46E82D7F6731C1E3

^^interesting. you guys should REALLLLLY check this one out. smiley
it kind of goes into why ancient west african history is ignored not only by others but by US.
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by Nobody: 6:24pm On Oct 25, 2012
smh....guess i will have to update this page solo.

#smh@blackpeople
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by otumfour(m): 6:40pm On Oct 25, 2012
*Kails*:
smh....guess i will have to update this page solo.

#smh@blackpeople

grin grin grin grin......ur doing a great job kails......

will contribute in a bit.....make I finish this fufu come wink....ur invited kails

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by Nobody: 6:47pm On Oct 25, 2012
otumfour:

grin grin grin grin......ur doing a great job kails......

will contribute in a bit.....make I finish this fufu come wink....ur invited kails

ok bro..

LOL and please make sure you save me some smiley grin
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by otumfour(m): 7:33pm On Oct 25, 2012
*Kails*:

ok bro..

LOL and please make sure you save me some smiley grin

don't worry......will save u enough to even spare ayanle.......
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 25, 2012
*Kails*:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i2dB2mIXhk&feature=share&list=PL46E82D7F6731C1E3

^^interesting. you guys should REALLLLLY check this one out. smiley
it kind of goes into why ancient west african history is ignored not only by others but by US.

This is very interesting. It gives a new perspective to why we as Africans forget we actually had a history. Slavery was our bane, and then let's not forget the 'sophistication' and modern form of slavery - Colonialism. Don't give up Kails, keep posting. I see people like you are interested in the history of black people, why don't you guys take it up as a profession, lecture in schools grin.

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by Horus(m): 8:36pm On Oct 25, 2012
[size=15pt]'Queen of Sheba' wall[/size]

Scientists in Nigeria have authenticated an ancient wall near Lagos, but are playing down the possibility that it marked the boundary of the kingdom of the legendary Queen of Sheba.
A team of Nigerian and British archaeologists say the wall, which could be more than 1,000 years old, is genuine and not a modern construction.

Nigerian expert Levi Izuakor confirmed the wall was evidence of a great ancient city, but that little more than that could be said about its origins at this time.

The Eredo ramparts: Possible World Heritage status

The find had prompted suggestions that the centre of one of Africa's greatest kingdoms - and the final resting place of the Queen of Sheba - had been discovered.

But experts say the dating of the wall could eventually place its construction many hundreds of years after the lifetime of the Old Testament figure.

The wall lies hidden in the Nigerian rainforest at a site called Eredo, just a few hour's drive from the capital, Lagos.

A team from Bournemouth University, working with British archaeologist Dr Patrick Darling, recently completed a preliminary survey of the Eredo earthworks.

They consist of a wall and ditch measuring 70ft (20 metres) high in places and approximately 100 miles (150km) long.

'Earliest rainforest kingdom'

While not approaching the complexity of a project like the pyramids in Egypt, the builders would have shifted an estimated 3.5 million cubic metres of earth during construction of the ramparts.

Awujale: Local link to Sheba

The British eventually broke the Ijebu trade monopoly, leading to the decline of the kingdom.

However, the traditional position of Awujale still exists in the modern day town of Ijebu-Ode.

Dr Darling says the Eredo site is a particularly exciting discovery because it provides the "earliest proof of a kingdom founded in the African rainforest".

Monument of remembrance

People living nearby the Eredo monuments link the area to Bilikisu Sungbo, another name for Sheba, says Dr Darling.

Local tradition speaks of a great queen building a vast monument of remembrance, and there is an annual pilgrimage to what is believed to be her grave.

But scholars trace the legend of the Queen of Sheba to an Old Testament story, describing how the queen married Solomon and their son began a dynasty of rulers in Ethiopia.

Estimates suggest the Old Testament queen would have reigned in the 10th century BC - some 2,000 years before the Eredo wall is believed to have been built.

Dr Darling says the beliefs of the locals cannot be discounted.

"I don't want to overplay the Sheba theory, but ,  the local people believe it and that's what is important."

He believes that, whatever the case, Eredo could become Nigeria's first world heritage site, joining monuments like Stonehenge in the UK and the pyramids of Egypt.

This is one million cubic metres more than the amount of rock and earth used in the Great Pyramid at Giza.

Archaeologists believe it marks out what is believed to be the boundary of the Ijebu kingdom, ruled by the 'Awujale' spiritual leader.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/356850.stm

2 Likes

Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by Nobody: 9:25pm On Oct 25, 2012
stillwater:

This is very interesting. It gives a new perspective to why we as Africans forget we actually had a history. Slavery was our bane, and then let's not forget the 'sophistication' and modern form of slavery - Colonialism. Don't give up Kails, keep posting. I see people like you are interested in the history of black people, why don't you guys take it up as a profession, lecture in schools grin.

the red in my point exactly!! wink
lol i wasn't going to give up but its kinda sad how uninterested black people are generally about their own pasts. Makes it much easier to steal or deny by others. tongue

Anyway we do have Black History courses in schools here, but they are "electives" or courses that do not have any significant value. Such course does not determine's one's ability to pass a grade level or graduate. -_- I am being VERY SERIOUS.

Also sad is that in such classes most of the time the students who take them seriously and at times make up the majority are non-black (mostly whites).
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by Nobody: 9:28pm On Oct 25, 2012
Horus: [size=15pt]'Queen of Sheba' wall[/size]

Scientists in Nigeria have authenticated an ancient wall near Lagos, but are playing down the possibility that it marked the boundary of the kingdom of the legendary Queen of Sheba.
A team of Nigerian and British archaeologists say the wall, which could be more than 1,000 years old, is genuine and not a modern construction.

Nigerian expert Levi Izuakor confirmed the wall was evidence of a great ancient city, but that little more than that could be said about its origins at this time.

The Eredo ramparts: Possible World Heritage status

The find had prompted suggestions that the centre of one of Africa's greatest kingdoms - and the final resting place of the Queen of Sheba - had been discovered.

But experts say the dating of the wall could eventually place its construction many hundreds of years after the lifetime of the Old Testament figure.

The wall lies hidden in the Nigerian rainforest at a site called Eredo, just a few hour's drive from the capital, Lagos. ......

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/356850.stm

WOW!!!! that's what I am talking about!! cool
thanks Horus!!
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by ba7man(m): 3:47pm On Oct 26, 2012
Wow!!!...This is enlightening. This proves that the black man has always been civilized contrary to that silly belief that we resided in trees.
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by Nobody: 6:50pm On Oct 26, 2012
ba7man: Wow!!!...This is enlightening. This proves that the black man has always been civilized contrary to that silly belief that we resided in trees.

smiley
so sad many of us don't even know about our past.

or care..
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by ifyalways(f): 8:54am On Oct 28, 2012
anonymous6:

True to a extent but I don't agree with his Muslim religion he practiced
why?
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by Nobody: 3:29am On Oct 29, 2012
-_- NEVER MIND.

BRB.
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by Nobody: 3:35am On Oct 29, 2012
Guys you have to check this out.

What do you think about this? smiley Very interesting stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY-UET-UA2g
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by Nobody: 3:39am On Oct 29, 2012
from: http://fyeahblackhistory.tumblr.com/post/3077530369/sunni-ali-ber-king-of-songhai-15th-century-ad

Sunni Ali Ber - King of Songhai 15th Century AD

When Sunni Ali Ber came to power, Songhay was a small kingdom in the western Sudan. But during his twenty-eight-year reign, it grew into the largest, most powerful empire in West Africa.

Sunni Ali Ber built a remarkable army and with this ferocious force, the warrior king won battle after battle. He routed marauding nomads, seized trade routes, took villages, and expanded his domain. He captured Timbuktu, bringing into the Songhay empire a major center of commerce, culture, and Muslim scholarship.
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by Nobody: 3:46am On Oct 29, 2012
from: http://www.playahata.com/pages/bhfigures/bhfigures28.html
this link also included central and southern african monarchs. interesting stuff. smiley

here are the featured west africans though:

Osei Tutu - King of Asante 17th Century AD

Ja Ja- King of the Opobo 19th Century AD

Behanzin Hossu Bowelle- The King Shark 19th Century AD

Yaa Asantewa of the Ashanti 19th Century AD
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by PhysicsQED(m): 5:45am On Oct 29, 2012
*Kails*:
Guys you have to check this out.

What do you think about this? smiley Very interesting stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY-UET-UA2g

At 4:41 he makes a comparison between the headdress on the sculpture of the Ooni of Ife (which he incorrectly refers to as being a piece of art from Benin) and the headdress of that Pharaoh. While it's not impossible for there to have been some Egyptian influence, I think the two are actually very distinct from one another in appearance.

As for the comparison between the warriors (or Obas) in some bronzes that have the mitre shaped hats and the actual mitres of the Catholic popes that he makes at 5:40, while I once again think it's not impossible for there to have been some Catholic/Christian influence, it's more likely to be a coincidence in appearance as sometimes happens.

Now the current shape of the papal mitres is from the 16th century (1500s):

Braun, Joseph. "Mitre." The Catholic Encyclopedia. Vol. 10. New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1911.

"Up to then the mitre had been somewhat broader than high when folded together, but from this period on it began, slowly indeed, but steadily, to increase in height until, in the seventeenth century, it grew into an actual tower. Another change, which, however, did not appear until the fifteenth century, was that the sides were no longer made vertical, but diagonal. In the sixteenth century it began to be customary to curve, more or less decidedly, the diagonal sides of the horns."

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10404a.htm

However, the curve on those hats seen in Benin bronzes is not always an outward curve and the top part does not always have the same shape the papal mitres did nor is the shape always the same in all the Benin art:

http://www.artelista.com/prints/scala/big/7/5/5/B014394m.jpg

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4212/beninwarriorwarchiefork.jpg

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6316/abeninwarriorinawardres.jpg

http://www.britishmuseum.org/collectionimages/AN00123/AN00123941_001_l.jpg

One of the biggest differences is that the hats that the figures in the Benin art wear are all actually closed, while a papal mitre is supposed to be open:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a4/K%C3%B6niginmutter_mit_Gefolge_%28Bini%29.JPG

^^^
That piece depicting an Iyoba (a queen mother) in the back center, surrounded by soldiers and officials, held in a museum in Germany, shows that the hats were quite distinct from papal mitres.

It seems like this was a hat style that was used in Benin at some point by certain military commanders or kings and that there were variations on it, but it seems more like a coincidence, especially considering that the original papal mitres were smaller (until the 17th century) and more straight compared to the hats in the art. Anyway, sometimes these kinds of coincidences happen - for example, the "mitre" of the priests of Dagon (a certain deity) in ancient Babylon resemble the papal mitres as well, but we know that the two are not connected and that the current shape of the papal mitre is just a result of stylistic evolution from a hat with Roman origins.
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by anonymous6(f): 2:41pm On Oct 29, 2012
Thank you kalis and Physics, I'll contribute when I have time, working overtime so no time for nairaland these days
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by otumfour(m): 2:59pm On Oct 29, 2012
WOW! PROUD TO BE AN ASHANTI MAN grin grin grin grin
Re: BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities by anonymous6(f): 2:33am On Dec 17, 2012
otumfour: WOW! PROUD TO BE AN ASHANTI MAN grin grin grin grin

post about your Ashanti tribe

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Men And The '2nd Wife Or More' - Culture Or Modern Day Infildelity? / Whats The Eglish Meaning Of Ekule / Emir Of Bahrain With His Robot Bodyguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.