Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,828 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:03 AM

How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? (6287 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Blasts Elnathan John, A Writer From Kaduna In New Interview / Free N5000 For A Writer Here Every Month! Click To See How! / The Women In A Writer's Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by pope732901(m): 3:07pm On Feb 21, 2012
I am poet and like my friends tell me, I am very good but I don't get people to read my write ups. I need your advice friends.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by maclatunji: 1:05pm On Feb 22, 2012
Where do you put your write-ups? You need to give the public samples of your work for us to appreciate and become fans of before you can hope to start to make money from us. Have you tried publishing houses? i.e. if you have confirmed that your work is any good.

If you are still new to writing and haven't done any of the things I have said, I suggest you create a blog to publish your work- you have two major options:

1. http://www.

and

2. http://www.blogger.com

The former seems to me to portray one as a true lover of writing/literature whilst the latter has a more commercial feel to it. Try them out if you haven't. They both have tools that help you expose your work, I also suggest you try a 1-month intensive blogging campaign and tell us how it went after that. cheesy

Writing can be fun and wonderful, I wish you the best!

3 Likes

Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by Jayboy124: 6:20pm On Feb 22, 2012
Check out and register at naijastories.com

1 Like

Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by olulu(m): 2:00pm On Feb 27, 2012
@ poster

why not go a step higher and start to perform your poems.

I have been writing for more than 20 years now, only to discover a year and half ago that people react immediatly to what they see and hear faster than what they read. Reason being, they can always postpone reading it, but nobody postpones a show or tv program cos

1. They are not sure or don't know when next they will watch it
2. once it catches their fancy, they will take glued to the end.

I only started performing like a year and a half ago and its now easy to get people to read my poems.
However, if performing is not your thingy, u can start a blog and consistently post d line on social medias like facebook , twitter and d likes.
u can also post your poems on facebook notes.

2 Likes

Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by pope732901(m): 10:37am On Jun 12, 2012
olulu:
@ poster

I have been writing for more than 20 years now, only to discover a year and half ago that people react immediatly to what they see and hear faster than what they read. Reason being, they can always postpone reading it, but nobody postpones a show or tv program cos

I only started performing like a year and a half ago and its now easy to get people to read my poems.
However, if performing is not your thingy, u can start a blog and consistently post d line on social medias like facebook , twitter and d likes.

I apologize for my late response, I do have accounts with Blogger and Wordpress.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by pope732901(m): 10:48am On Jun 12, 2012
olulu:
@ poster

How do I do that?
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by olulu(m): 12:53pm On Jun 12, 2012
Attend many open mic shows such as

1. Freedom Hall, Terra culture Hall V/I, every thursdays from 7pm
2. Freedom Hall, Rodizzio Ikeja, every saturdays from 7pm
3. TARUWA, Bogobiri House, IKoyi, every last tuesday of the month from 7pm
4. Chill and Relax, a monthlty show

Attend, listen, observe, watch, and learn.
Then pratise, rehearse, go on stage and do your thing.

3 Likes

Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by Emmandus(m): 4:13pm On Jun 12, 2012
Nice contributions here.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by femarse: 9:16pm On Mar 03, 2013
Writing is fun people post pone book truly but they always come back to it to know the true secret to get explosion log on to www.femarse.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by UnknownMember: 3:56pm On Mar 12, 2013
pope732901: I am poet and like my friends tell me, I am very good but I don't get people to read my write ups. I need your advice friends.

Use your writing as a front to launder dirty money..
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by yuzedo: 4:00pm On Mar 12, 2013
By doing JUJU! angry angry
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by Thevenine(m): 4:01pm On Mar 12, 2013
the title of this thread has said it all...

1 Like

Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by fermlad: 4:01pm On Mar 12, 2013
Pls check d topic:
How CAN a writer CAN make it in Nigeria. shocked shocked

Pls adjust.

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by israel007: 4:01pm On Mar 12, 2013
Start by writing good english. Re: title of ur post on NL

2 Likes

Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by Hychineson(m): 4:04pm On Mar 12, 2013
pope732901: I am poet and like my friends tell me, I am very good but I don't get people to read my write ups. I need your advice friends.
u r very gud and u r writing dis blunder.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by jeezybuck: 4:07pm On Mar 12, 2013
Really i am sorry for you, Did you check the title of your thread before posting it ? Ogbeni go back to Ladipo market make you go dey sell spare part.

1 Like

Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by cyril83(m): 4:09pm On Mar 12, 2013
Hey! Modify your topic.... Typographical error i guess
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by Cuddlemii: 4:13pm On Mar 12, 2013
ATTENTION:

Please, the poster's initial title was- How do you think a writer can make it in Nigeria?

The typo error occurred while placing the thread on the FrontPage. Please, don't be hard on the op

Thanks
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by JideTheBlogger(m): 4:13pm On Mar 12, 2013
Who get time to dey read poems?

Spread gossips and see how people go dey read am...lol

1 Like

Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by octus2008(m): 4:16pm On Mar 12, 2013
the title of ur post should be corrected before we go de think of advice oga grin grin grin grin grin......ENGLIS NIGERIANS
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by kencywhite: 4:22pm On Mar 12, 2013
I am here new and afraid of posting new topic so they would not abuse me like Op. How do I overcome my fear?
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by SisiKill1: 4:22pm On Mar 12, 2013
There are two ways to make it as a writer -

Gossip Writer - Make sure you talk about people's Yanshes and boobies who is entering and touching them.

Religious Book writer - Make sure your books or articles have headings/titles like

Overcoming the overcomer of your finances
Devour the devourer of your business
Destroy the winches in your life - Be a winch for Jesus
Avoid Holy Slaps - Pay your tithes
Unmarried no more - 27 1/2 ways to meet your Godly spouse
Obey His law and rule over your in Laws
Prosper prosperously by Properly paying your tithes
How to be the GO of your home

You are welcome.

4 Likes

Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by bigfat04(m): 4:23pm On Mar 12, 2013
[size=15pt]DONT MIND JIDE THE BLOGGER JUST DONT GIVE UP ...[/size]

Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by nenergy(m): 4:26pm On Mar 12, 2013
As a beginner its more profitable to write about trending issues, then switch to your "passion arts" after you've made a name. Poems are great,but might not pull readers because you're "unknown". Secondly, you can enter art contests and competition. That will give you exposure and "fame".
My own passion project is loading....98%

1 Like

Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by UNLEASHED(m): 4:32pm On Mar 12, 2013
@OP
You write up will give readers series of headache. For you, I see writing as a waste of time and it's better you realise it now than later.
I'm not discouraging, it's an advice.
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by vanstanzy(m): 4:34pm On Mar 12, 2013
smiley smiley
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by KingOfNairaland: 4:35pm On Mar 12, 2013
Go and pray for Career Breakthrough
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Mar 12, 2013
To make it in Nigeria as writer,u must write on such topics as ACCIDENTAL POET to make it
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by blackbeau1(f): 4:50pm On Mar 12, 2013
You can if u rlucky,pray hard and are good @ it
Re: How Can A Writer Make It In Nigeria? by maclatunji: 4:50pm On Mar 12, 2013
KingOfNairaland: Go and pray for Career Breakthrough
LMFSO

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unforgettable.....love,betrayal And Forgiveness / Ben Okri Celebrates His 59th Birthday Today / Food For The Gods.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.