Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,138 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:39 AM

Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? (9318 Views)

Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry / How Can I Become A Billionaire At 36! / Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by Nobody: 11:54am On Feb 23, 2012
From the way and manner things are going in Nigeria, it seems more like impossible for a Nigerian (born and living in Nigeria) to hit the record of being seen as a billionaire without engaging in one corruption or the other, or without becoming a politician. This is a serious issue we must tackle in Nigeria if we want our country to move forward successfully and not keep bouncing back on politics and corruption. Let’s hear your say and what you think is the way out of this generational problem.
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by mkmyers45(m): 12:12pm On Feb 23, 2012
You just have to do something innovative,
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by Jemibee: 1:19pm On Feb 23, 2012
Dangote nko ??
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by lifestyle1(m): 1:20pm On Feb 23, 2012
Yes BUT only if you are self employed. Be your own b0$$ cool
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by werepeLeri: 1:25pm On Feb 23, 2012
stay there.
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by chrishenzo: 1:27pm On Feb 23, 2012
The question should be " Can a Nigerian become a billionaire without the authorities trying to frustrate him/her." The issue with the country is that once your business starts to show signs of life, the authorities instead of showing support, they will start looking for a way to get their own shear.

But poster, you have to give the country the thing it wants most, then after then you will start thinking of becoming a billionaire
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Feb 23, 2012
In Nigeria its very hard but anything stills get possible!!
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by eazyd(m): 1:35pm On Feb 23, 2012
10 yrs from now,check Seun's worth smiley
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by oohio2007(m): 1:38pm On Feb 23, 2012
Poverty mentality.Any kind of wealth acquired by corrupt means must be sustained through same.

1 Like

Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by jude33084(m): 1:39pm On Feb 23, 2012
Someone said; dangote nko?
Dongote is a medium in which corruption flows. D so called cabal uses dangote as a tool or u thing d cabal is only in d oil sector?
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by Edaniels: 1:40pm On Feb 23, 2012
@poster it is not possible
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Feb 23, 2012
Dangote can never be a good example, If he is to you, then you are only mistaken, cos, he came from a lineage of political family, the dantata's, and he still patronizes politics in his business deals; that was why OBJ stoppped IBETO Group from importing cement, only for Dangote cement to be the only source of cement in Nigeria during OBJ regime, and thank God for late Yaradua, who came and abolished this useless man-no-man business and said let there be rule of law. so make another choice and not Dangote pls, Yes, to the guy that said something about being innovative, Yes, but our Nigerian environment will it allow it to strive without getting politically involved with the politicians or patronizing coruption? thats the problem, cos lots of guys have great ideas, i know many, but politics bring them all down.
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by slam7000(m): 1:44pm On Feb 23, 2012
Its very possible,i know a guy in his thirties who has at least a billion naira.his bros made his first N50,000000living with him.you have to create your own business, ie, be your own boss,work hard,be innovative,reinvest,manage well and treat your workers well.the guy i wz talking about started at alaba int mkt after graduating from fed.poly.oko, never been to harvard biz sch or had any political connection.there are lots of people who are worth up N25,000,000, abt 100,000bpds, all thru hardwork and good money management.you dont need to be a billionaire in nig or politically connected to make it.
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by kelz88(f): 1:44pm On Feb 23, 2012
We need a miracle. *Sigh!* Being self employed will help get to that dream but man needs money first to enable him start something. One can hardly feed let alone save. Peanut salary.
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Feb 23, 2012
It is IMPOSSIBLE for an honest and upright person to become a multi-millionaire in this country, let alone a billionaire. Uprightness and great wealth are often incompatible. I guess that answers your question.

In my view though, get rich by any means necessary. The rewards are often much greater than that of honesty. The evidence of this is plain to see all aound us.
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by werepeLeri: 1:45pm On Feb 23, 2012
chrishenzo:

The question should be " Can a Nigerian become a billionaire without the authorities trying to frustrate him/her." The issue with the country is that once your business starts to show signs of life, the authorities instead of showing support, they will start looking for a way to get their own shear.

But poster, you have to give the country the thing it wants most, then after then you will start thinking of becoming a billionaire

Give an example.
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by davidzfarm(m): 1:47pm On Feb 23, 2012
very possible. you only need grace,wisdom,innovation and direction.
you can start doing smthing everybody will be looking for and b4 you know it, you've hit the mark
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by mkmyers45(m): 1:48pm On Feb 23, 2012
slam7000:

Its very possible,i know a guy in his thirties who has at least a billion naira.his bros made his first N50,000000living with him.you have to create your own business, ie, be your own boss,work hard,be innovative,reinvest,manage well and treat your workers well.the guy i wz talking about started at alaba int mkt after graduating from fed.poly.oko, never been to harvard biz sch or had any political connection.there are lots of people who are worth up N25,000,000, abt 100,000bpds, all thru hardwork and good money management.you dont need to be a billionaire in nig or politically connected to make it.

Do you know them personally? Can he fund your ideas?
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Feb 23, 2012
Go and investigate this: behind every successful Nigerian, there is politics or coruption. Or let me put it this way: behind every Nigerian that worths N500;000;000 and above, there is politics and corrupt practices! Find out,
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Feb 23, 2012
eazyd:

10 yrs from now,check Seun's worth smiley

What about you?

what a sad example from but against your personality
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by Lov4sat(m): 1:53pm On Feb 23, 2012
Back in the early 80's it is very very possible through hard work but for now like the bible stated that it is easy for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a born in Naija, raised in Naija to become a millionaire not to talk of billionaire without being linked to corruption alone because politics is not a business outfit that one makes profits from.
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by i4real: 1:54pm On Feb 23, 2012
What will be will be. Just trust in God.
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by MeGaStReEt: 1:56pm On Feb 23, 2012
Nobody holy pass
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Feb 23, 2012
The question is slightly misleading as there is no nigerian that does not patronize corruption in way way or the other

whether rich or poor, we have all paid money (or service) to get ahead or get out of a situation. Whether its police or local govt or lastma, we have all corrupted them one way or the other

The major difference is that if a poor main is bribing N10, a rich man can afford to bribe N10B but all is the same corruption

So the answer is no, but hardwork and talent is really the key to long term success in nigeria rather than patronizing corruption or politicians
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by Gylae: 2:10pm On Feb 23, 2012
If ur in the right business. With hardwork, discipline and some luck u will make it. Simply means if u own a barbing saloon u can't make a billion. But if you own a supermarket u can becos ur opportunities for growth is unlimited
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by bronks9174: 2:12pm On Feb 23, 2012
This is Nigeria anything is possible but chances are slim,
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by angelz(f): 2:13pm On Feb 23, 2012
NO.
its not possible.
1's u start makin it, corrupt pple in govt will send dia dogs after u.
u'l eida b coerced 2 join politics 2 survive dia vicious taunt or fund dia political ambitions.
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by blacksta(m): 2:14pm On Feb 23, 2012
not possible - if you dont settle - they will block all your avenues
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Feb 23, 2012
NO
At one point or the other,you just have to bribe your way through especially if the business has to do with government.Yoruba say ''Isale oro legbin''.the more you look,the less you see !
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by obowunmi(m): 2:18pm On Feb 23, 2012
Dangote, Otedola, Adenuga, Dehinde Fernandez ----- without government they are NOTHING. They are just as corrupt,

Leave Nigeria, become a Steve jobs and go back to Nigeria. The issue is that when you come back, corrupt politicians  will still want to rob elbows with you there is no way to avoid that. Nigeria is a very elitist state. Without the hubnub with government, there is NO moving forward.

The sad truth,  angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by slam7000(m): 2:21pm On Feb 23, 2012
@mkmyers45,

Yes i know them but i dont need them to fund or support me in any way.problem with most people is we tend to depend on others for handouts, think,think,plan and invest.i had a room mate from bauchi.he,ll encourage me to invest in livestock some yrs back.i was scared but gave it a shot and didnt regret it.i borrowed money from cousins,he,ll travel up north buy 3 cattles which his muslim bros helped him to sell at enugu.we made lots of money from that.it continued for a long time,i wldnt,ve done it on my own though cos the biz wz been controlled by hausas.i l8r used my proceeds to buy lands,sold them back.i dont need my billionaire friend.i,ll get there.n
Re: Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Feb 23, 2012
It is possible but it is also rare. First you have to be in your own business and not self emplyed. Unfortunately the economic climate in Nigeria is so high and the cost of producing anything is so high that you can rarely make a profit. However, some people actually have very innovative and creative ideas that can make them certainly multi-millionaires or even billionaires.

It all comes down to haivng some capital, taking advantage of opportunities and being in the right place with the right idea and ultimately the grace of God. Yes it can happen but I understand the poster that it is increasingly difficult. Why take all that risk in starting a business when you can go to Abuja and collect =N=5 billion for a contract you wouldn't execute.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

MTN Nigeria Denies CBN Claims On Illegal Repatriation Of $8.1b / Heritage Bank Safe And Sound, Says Sekibo / Crude Oil Prices Race To $80

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.