Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,996 members, 7,806,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:28 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1027) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4425408 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1024) (1025) (1026) (1027) (1028) (1029) (1030) ... (2227) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by richforever123: 1:26am On Jan 04, 2020
aremso:

when i read stuffs like this i just burst into laughter, i think the best advice would have been, dont invest in what you dont know or before you invest, KNOW MUCH ABOUT WHERE YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR HARD EARNED MONIES. As i cant advice people to invest or not to invest, i will always tell them to know where they are putting there monies. Everyone paints our NSE as gloom and doom yet if you know when to enter and your exit time you still make good monies, like the little bulls alone today gave me 387k in a stock and in the next 90 days there might still be bulls cos of earning season with profits taking in btwn. Just know about where u put your money is the main advice, there are still some people who does not know a jack about tb and yet they also want to invest in tb cos people says in the safest investment

Bro, you are right, since the user don't know much about stocks hence the advice, just today Oando gained 17% (in one day)
If you know your Onions, why not?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 5:08am On Jan 04, 2020
Akin3891:

just checked my account n yes you are right, the interest was paid into my account as at 31 dec,but what baffles me is that ,I had gained up to #20,000 as at the last time I checked my mmf account but only received 12,241 naira, the principal amount is 7m, investments runs for only 12 days, from dec 19th until 31st dec, furthermore, my present accrued balance shows *nothing* leaving 3 days investments not accounted for. How can accrued 20k gains be reduced to 12,241naira, eventhough some taxes were withheld , it shouldn't be that crazily much, is there anything I'm missing here? This kinda seems confusing unlike my lovely TBs which is always direct n unconfusing

Kindly be informed that interest from mmf are tax free. I'm sure fbnquest will not be different. You can call customer care 0708 062 6000 by Monday to register your observation as regard your interest . I'm sure your doubts will be cleared.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alwayspositive8: 6:02am On Jan 04, 2020
Hope you are aware that there is always a minimum holding period of 30days, hence there may be a penalty charge for redemption less than 30 days. I think that may be the reason for the shortfall.
Akin3891:

just checked my account n yes you are right, the interest was paid into my account as at 31 dec,but what baffles me is that ,I had gained up to #20,000 as at the last time I checked my mmf account but only received 12,241 naira, the principal amount is 7m, investments runs for only 12 days, from dec 19th until 31st dec, furthermore, my present accrued balance shows *nothing* leaving 3 days investments not accounted for. How can accrued 20k gains be reduced to 12,241naira, eventhough some taxes were withheld , it shouldn't be that crazily much, is there anything I'm missing here? This kinda seems confusing unlike my lovely TBs which is always direct n unconfusing

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alwayspositive8: 6:19am On Jan 04, 2020
Sorry for the Diversion....Please what will be the effect of the US-IRAN tension on oil price and its ultimate effect on exchange rate(Iran are big producer of crude oil)...Since its a known fact that Nigeria is still an oil dependent state and changes in oil price can affect exchange rate....Is it advisable to start keeping my investment in foreign currency to mitigate against any exchange rate risk or just maintain status quo
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ibechris(m): 7:02am On Jan 04, 2020
ogawisdom:

U are simply myopic or plain ignorant
There are always two sides to a coin, that u failed in business speaks volumes of your narrow mindedness but don't forget we still have many success stories like dangote et al.
If u don't want to invest in the real sector then shut up and accept the 1% on offer n crawl back to your cave.

Crashing TB n FD is excellent for our economy

Nice one,I like that.
Must everyone invest in TB when there are other ways u can make more and do a lot for urself.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 8:08am On Jan 04, 2020
richforever123:
In the UK TB rate is 0.75
In the US TB rate is 1.75
We are all shouting that there are no jobs, in a healthy economy, the Government does not provide all the jobs, it is the Entrepreneurs that do that. If we are all subscribing to Tbills, who will create the jobs for the masses
In as much I am sad about the dwindling TB rates (including the closing of borders) it the right step in the development of the country and as a Patriotic citizen I commend the FG's efforts
i dont under stand why people keep quoting the us and uk to compare to Nigeria ...are the fundamental s ..u sit an put a 14 trillion dollars economy and 500 bn dollars together...u put an economy that lend out money at 1 percent with incentives to succeed to the one that lend out money at 29 percent with dead infastructure together ....oga pls let get real......nigeria should be compared with like of ghana ,chad,Ethiopia,Congo,angola burma etc....

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 8:10am On Jan 04, 2020
alwayspositive8:
Sorry for the Diversion....Please what will be the effect of the US-IRAN tension on oil price and its ultimate effect on exchange rate(Iran are big producer of crude oil)...Since its a known fact that Nigeria is still an oil dependent state and changes in oil price can affect exchange rate....Is it advisable to start keeping my investment in foreign currency to mitigate against any exchange rate risk or just maintain status quo
more forex inflow ,more naira stabilty,or more value .....less omo rate

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dtphilosopher: 9:29am On Jan 04, 2020
���

*This is a new business that will put money in your pocket and also food in your house the good thing about this is that*

����
*YOU DON'T NEED TO PAY ONE KOBO FOR THIS BUSINESS*�

* GET 15K PLUS THIS NEW YEAR ATLEAST THIS CAN COVER SOME FOOD STUFF AT HOME*�

����

Join group to get more information

https:///KlYyvdlen4KKQYIxkNoDLe
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 10:48am On Jan 04, 2020
IyawoToBe:
The stupid Flour Mill I bought their IPO years ago. My 1million has turned to less than 100k cry cry

Meet the registrars to collect your money and outstanding divindeds.

I got in at N4 in 2017 and held the stock for 15 months was able to bailout at N17.00.

Those who held on sold to Olams at N24.00
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 10:51am On Jan 04, 2020
IyawoToBe:
OMGeeeeeeeeeee shocked My new year has started on a good note!!! Let me dust my certificate. Thank you so much for this info.

Don't tell me you still have certificates, Investment has gone digital. You should have dematerialized your certificates long ago

You will be advised to open a CSCS account through a stock broker

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:51am On Jan 04, 2020
Please, date for primary market and whats the rates like now. Am tired of keeping money in savings account. I dont know what else to do.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akin3891: 12:18pm On Jan 04, 2020
alwayspositive8:
Hope you are aware that there is always a minimum holding period of 30days, hence there may be a penalty charge for redemption less than 30 days. I think that may be the reason for the shortfall.

I'm very much aware of that, funny enough i never requested nor try to redeem my interest , just woke up to check the app, realised my accrued interest show zero, check my bank acc afterwards, got that amount. Fbn things always get kleg, cos my stanbic mmf doesn't act up n always accurate with interest. I will contact them on Monday for clarification . Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 12:49pm On Jan 04, 2020
Barrytone:
Please, date for primary market and whats the rates like now. Am tired of keeping money in savings account. I dont know what else to do.
really ?do what u did to generate the sum in the first place.....na 5
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bugmenot: 1:13pm On Jan 04, 2020

My brother, tell them o!

The environments are not comparable. At all! I often like to joke that in Naija you spent 90% of your business start up capital on things that basic infrastructure should have taken care of - generators, fuel, security, roads. How on earth can businesses thrive and become profitable in such an environment? I often hear of products imported from China that end up costing less than the locally manufactured ones. In the US and UK, you would start by drawing a business plan, leveraging existing infrastructure, and charting a path to a sustainable business. In Naija, you start from a generator store buying a backup for the backup generator.

It's amazing how in the twinkle of an eye, someone decides that we must have low single digit TB interest rates in an environment where banks issue loans at close to 30% plus a right and left kidney as collateral. In the developed world, you can get loans at low to mid single digit interest rates with a reasonable credit score. There are lots of enterpreneurs looking for financing to start or boost businesses despite the harsh business climate - the banks are however reluctant to lend because of the high risk involved. There's really no magic to it - providing 24/7 power supply, security, etc will reduce cost of doing business in Nigeria. Some of the CBN's moves are in the right direction - BVNs for example so credit worthiness can be assessed across financial institutions. We however have a long way to go.

It's often best when things are driven by market forces. Why for example is imported rice more desireable? Rather than ask such questions, they create artificial scarcity by closing the borders. Forced single digit interest rates in an unstable currency vs single digit interest rates in a stable currency like the USD or GBP, the better choice is obvious.

Anyways, enough of my ranting. We go siddown dey look.

ahiboilandgas:
i dont under stand why people keep quoting the us and uk to compare to Nigeria ...are the fundamental s ..u sit an put a 14 trillion dollars economy and 500 bn dollars together...u put an economy that lend out money at 1 percent with incentives to succeed to the one that lend out money at 29 percent with dead infastructure together ....oga pls let get real......nigeria should be compared with like of ghana ,chad,Ethiopia,Congo,angola burma etc....

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ogawisdom(m): 1:14pm On Jan 04, 2020
ibechris:

Nice one,I like that.
Must everyone invest in TB when there are other ways u can make more and do a lot for urself.

Exactly TB must be made very unattractive so that everyone with huge fund can think of productive ventures.

The cash cow TB n FD contributed to killing our economy and I am glad our economic management team have received sense after all.

#ReduceTBto1%now

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akin3891: 1:17pm On Jan 04, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
really ?do what u did to generate the sum in the first place.....na 5

Lol. After making the money from biz/salaries, you still have to dump it somewhere to generate more, I hate staring at cash in my savings, gosh TBs pls bounce back. My count down is February when all my tbs will return, hope things are fine by then.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 1:18pm On Jan 04, 2020
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bugmenot: 1:20pm On Jan 04, 2020

I don't quite buy the idea of forcing people into (supposedly) productive ventures. People who wish to go into such ventures having access to financing sourced from those who have funds to invest is a more realistic idea. These "productive ventures" will be better thought out and not panic moves because someone did not want to have stagnant funds.

ogawisdom:

Exactly TB must be made very unattractive so that everyone with huge fund can think of productive ventures.

The cash cow TB n FD contributed to killing our economy and I am glad our economic management team have received sense at all.

#ReduceTBto1%now

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ogawisdom(m): 1:32pm On Jan 04, 2020
richforever123:
In the UK TB rate is 0.75
In the US TB rate is 1.75
We are all shouting that there are no jobs, in a healthy economy, the Government does not provide all the jobs, it is the Entrepreneurs that do that. If we are all subscribing to Tbills, who will create the jobs for the masses
In as much I am sad about the dwindling TB rates (including the closing of borders) it the right step in the development of the country and as a Patriotic citizen I commend the FG's efforts

The only sensible comment so far
1 billion likes
A man of immense wisdom has spoken

Nigerians are extremely unpatriotic n selfish.

Imagine paying 18, 15, 12, 10% on TB in a country with mass unemployment n immense poverty angry angry angry

Nothing more than 1% is acceptable for FD n TB.
Environment may not be the same but we must start somewhere.
Up next crash lending rates

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by seyisanya(m): 1:48pm On Jan 04, 2020
richforever123:

Bro, you are right, since the user don't know much about stocks hence the advice, just today Oando gained 17% (in one day)
If you know your Onions, why not?

NSE Oando? Really?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:53pm On Jan 04, 2020
Instead of lamenting over the current state of treasury bills in Nigeria, I think the most important thing is to open our inner eyes and think of or creat other opportunities.

But the current onslaught on Treasury Bill won't be forever, it may last 12 to 18 months or less, while waiting for the good days of treasury bills to return , get your money busy, get yourself educated about Investments, finance, money, business, wealth creation and the economy.

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:55pm On Jan 04, 2020
seyisanya:

NSE Oando? Really?

Don't speculate. A company with a total debt of over N200 billion is a no no, while s company like Dangote cement is sitting on a huge cash of over N700 billion.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by seyisanya(m): 1:59pm On Jan 04, 2020
bugmenot:

My brother, tell them o!

The environments are not comparable. At all! I often like to joke that in Naija you spent 90% of your business start up capital on things that basic infrastructure should have taken care of - generators, fuel, security, roads. How on earth can businesses thrive and become profitable in such an environment? I often hear of products imported from China that end up costing less than the locally manufactured ones. In the US and UK, you would start by drawing a business plan, leveraging existing infrastructure, and charting a path to a sustainable business. In Naija, you start from a generator store buying a backup for the backup generator.

It's amazing how in the twinkle of an eye, someone decides that we must have low single digit TB interest rates in an environment where banks issue loans at close to 30% plus a right and left kidney as collateral. In the developed world, you can get loans at low to mid single digit interest rates with a reasonable credit score. There are lots of enterpreneurs looking for financing to start or boost businesses despite the harsh business climate - the banks are however reluctant to lend because of the high risk involved. There's really no magic to it - providing 24/7 power supply, security, etc will reduce cost of doing business in Nigeria. Some of the CBN's moves are in the right direction - BVNs for example so credit worthiness can be assessed across financial institutions. We however have a long way to go.

It's often best when things are driven by market forces. Why for example is imported rice more desireable? Rather than ask such questions, they create artificial scarcity by closing the borders. Forced single digit interest rates in an unstable currency vs single digit interest rates in a stable currency like the USD or GBP, the better choice is obvious.

Anyways, enough of my ranting. We go siddown dey look.

This your handwriting dey unique ooo... And the bolded grin grin grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Mifim: 2:01pm On Jan 04, 2020
emmanuelewumi:
Instead of lamenting over the current state of treasury bills in Nigeria, I think the most important thing is to open our inner eyes and think of or creat other opportunities.

But the current onslaught on Treasury Bill won't be forever, it may last 12 to 18 months or less, while waiting for the good days of treasury bills to return , get your money busy, get yourself educated about Investments, finance, money, business, wealth creation and the economy.

I've been following you for a while now and I can't help but admire your level of financial literacy and knowledge. I'm actually trying to read up on all your previous posts here to see what I can learn.

I'm a recent graduate of Mathematics and honestly I have next to zero knowledge about the world of finance.
Do you have any recommendations on books or resources one could use to educate themselves from the very basics on managing and growing finances especially as it applies to the Nigerian market? I've tried to read books like the Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham but a lot of terms and charts there just go over my head.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by seyisanya(m): 2:05pm On Jan 04, 2020
ogawisdom:

The only sensible comment so far
1 billion likes
A man of immense wisdom has spoken

Nigerians are extremely unpatriotic n selfish.

Imagine paying 18, 15, 12, 10% on TB in a country with mass unemployment n immense poverty angry angry angry

Nothing more than 1% is acceptable for FD n TB.
Environment may not be the same but we must start somewhere.
Up next crash lending rates
The bolded ought to have been the first step.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ogawisdom(m): 2:07pm On Jan 04, 2020
seyisanya:
The bolded ought to have been the first step.

Demand and supply will naturally crash lending rates
It's basic economics bro

I am even predicting a naira appreciation against USD given what happened in Iran and it's implication on oil prices n our Forex. All of DT will impact our economy positively in 2020 n beyond

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by seyisanya(m): 2:10pm On Jan 04, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Don't speculate. A company with a total debt of over N200 billion is a no no, while s company like Dangote cement is sitting on a huge cash of over N700 billion.
Sir, I'm not speculating ooo and I didn't make any recommendation. Kindly read the comment I quoted again. I was only shocked when I read "17% gain today alone" because NSEOando actually lost at the end of trading on Friday.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by IyawoToBe(f): 2:16pm On Jan 04, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Don't tell me you still have certificates, Investment has gone digital. You should have dematerialized your certificates long ago

You will be advised to open a CSCS account through a stock broker

Don't mind me o. I just lost total interest in anything stock after what happened to NSE. The one that pained/pains me most is the ECOBANK transnational rubbish. All the money I made early in life as a young lady were used to buy stock, thank God for his grace. Reason why I would not go into it again no matter what anybody says.

I have all the certificates staring at me. I only use them to apply for visas cheesy cheesy cheesy I don't even know if it counts sef, but I normally get the visas after supporting my application with those 'useless' certificates grin

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:19pm On Jan 04, 2020
seyisanya:
Sir, I'm not speculating ooo. Kindly read the comment I quoted again. I was only shocked when I read 17% gain because NSEOando actually lost at the end of trading on Friday.

The guy who bought Oando is one speculating. Maybe he got 17% in a week, which is possible.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by PETERiCHY(m): 2:21pm On Jan 04, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Meet the registrars to collect your money and outstanding divindeds.

I got in at N4 in 2017 and held the stock for 15 months was able to bailout at N17.00.

Those who held on sold to Olams at N24.00

Same way UACN will sell for N17/N18 in 4months time while some are still here arguing with CBN over TB rates

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:25pm On Jan 04, 2020
IyawoToBe:

Don't mind me o. I just lost total interest in anything stock after what happened to NSE. The one that pained/pains me most is the ECOBANK transnational rubbish. All the money I made early in life as a young lady were used to buy stock, thank God for his grace. Reason why I would not go into it again no matter what anybody says.

I have all the certificates staring at me. I only use them to apply for visas cheesy cheesy cheesy I don't even know if it counts sef, but I normally get the visas after supporting my application with those 'useless' certificates grin

You bought highly inflated IPOs during the banking and insurance consolidation exercise.

If you have not bought in the secondary market.

Seyisanya is s regular on this thread, he started 4 months ago and I am impressed at his level of education and information about the market.

Try and get education, it is better to start small and increase as your knowledge increases. You can start with as little as N20,000 and monitor the growth of the businesses you have invested in.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by seyisanya(m): 2:26pm On Jan 04, 2020
IyawoToBe:

I guess you should still follow the guru's advice. Even if you're no longer interested in Nigerian stocks anymore, at least try and dematerialise your certificates so that if those shares become a real asset again, you can take immediate action as needed. By the way, how much did you buy ETI per share then?

(1) (2) (3) ... (1024) (1025) (1026) (1027) (1028) (1029) (1030) ... (2227) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.