Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:36 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1415) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4427216 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1412) (1413) (1414) (1415) (1416) (1417) (1418) ... (2227) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 3:16pm On Jul 16, 2020
Nigsrdumb:

You are both cautious and optimistic.

Some stock's never recover. Using d house analogue doesn't compute.

If houses traded like stocks they will behave the same.

Stock number movement is majorly psychological. Thank God for liquidity, many people wouldn’t want to hold things that trade like that.

If I you know the fair value of an asset is 1 million naira, would you gladly pay 2 million naira for it? Hoping that another person will pay 4 million naira for it in the future?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by 9jatriot(m): 3:17pm On Jul 16, 2020
Okay. What of OMO, I hope I am getting that name correct?
emmanuelewumi:

They are loans and also used to control the money in circulation
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by GonFreecss1: 3:19pm On Jul 16, 2020
tolajay:
Let's be careful of our narratives.

Narratives and ideologies are what determine perceptions and reactions, globally.

You've just established that you have a character defect and you're one of the folks contributing to the destruction of Nigeria.

However, you shouldn't generalise that this defect is applicable to all Nigerians... Speak for yourself and the people around you.

Sweeping generalisations are not apt in public conversations.

A foreigner would read your comment and will mentally conclude, without any personal experience, that all Nigerians are thieves and not to be trusted. Yet, you'll wonder why foreigners react so badly to you.

Bro! Nigerians defend fraud on social media.

Go and tell those guys this, not this guy. He is the least of our problems. Foreigners will focus more on the amount of people defending the right to be fraudulent than someone who feels an average Nigerian is a thief.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:22pm On Jul 16, 2020
9jatriot:
Okay. What of OMO, I hope I am getting that name correct?

Treasury Bill is short term, while bond is medium to long term.

Treasury Bill is a money market instrument, while is a capital market debt instrument.

With the current low returns from Treasury Bills, banks will be forced to loan out more money to customers and businesses, provided they are viable and won't lead to an increase in non performing loans.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by 9jatriot(m): 3:27pm On Jul 16, 2020
Exactly what I believe OMO is, I thought there was an argument one time where OMO was differentiated from TB?
Apparently, they are different even though they look the same.

emmanuelewumi:

Treasury Bill is short term, while bond is medium to long term.

Treasury Bill is a money market instrument, while is a capital market debt instrument.

With the current low returns from Treasury Bills, banks will be forced to loan out more money to customers and businesses, provided they are viable and won't lead to an increase in non performing loans.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:32pm On Jul 16, 2020
9jatriot:
Exactly what I believe OMO is, I thought there was an argument one time where OMO was differentiated from TB?

OMO is Open Market Operation. CBN can decide to use their own resources and funds kept with them by banks and FG to control the money in circulation.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 3:35pm On Jul 16, 2020
9jatriot:
Apparently, they are different even though they look the same.

The activities of Treasury Bills and OMO affects the overall money in circulation for Investment, business and consumption
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolajay: 3:47pm On Jul 16, 2020
Well, this isn't the first time, neither will it be the last, I'm calling out sweeping generalisations, immoral and illicit acts.

Your comment, perhaps justification, circles back to the "prevalent culture of individual irresponsibility," as highlighted by one of the commentators here.

Many of us (Nigerians) see what's wrong with others and how others are responsible for our community/country's woes, without first looking inwards.

Read through the comments again, and you'll notice expressions (Nigerians are this, Nigerians are not that...), a portrayal of lack of ownership/stake in the Nigerian project. It's a reflection of the mind. Many are disconnected from being a Nigerian. No identity, no connectivity, no patriotisms.

To restart and reset this country, we need a mental reorientation on what the country is, who we are and our individual cum collective roles in making it worthwhile.

GonFreecss1:

Bro! Nigerians defend fraud on social media.

Go and tell those guys this, not this guy. He is the least of our problems. Foreigners will focus more on the amount of people defending the right to be fraudulent than someone who feels an average Nigerian is a thief.

9 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:02pm On Jul 16, 2020
tolajay:
Well, this isn't the first time, neither will it be the last, I'm calling out sweeping generalisations, immoral and illicit acts.

Your comment, perhaps justification, circles back to the "prevalent culture of individual irresponsibility," as highlighted by one of the commentators here.

Many Nigerians see what's wrong with others and how others are responsible for their community/country's woes, without first looking inwards.

Read through the comments again, and you'll notice expressions (Nigerians are this, Nigerians are not that...)portray lack of ownership/stake in the Nigerian project. It's a reflection of the mind. Many are disconnected from being a Nigerian. No identity, no connectivity, no patriotisms.

To restart and reset this country, we need a mental reorientation on what the country is, who we are and our individual cum collective roles in making it worthwhile.

I guess they generalised based on probability and their personal experiences. Our country is a reflection of the citizens.

I think we still have honest, responsible and contented Nigerians, these set of people should be in the minority. I am looking at about 30% of our population.

My opinion though

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Donbrig: 4:05pm On Jul 16, 2020
Nigerians won't be easy to reset or change, particularly our weird mentality. Our vice president just said it will get more difficult to fight corruption and change lots of things in Nigeria. You guys are watching the massive corruption rocking NDDC, billions of naira that would have built schools, hospitals, roads, etc was stolen by few, but we just have to be hopeful and positive.

tolajay:

Many Nigerians see what's wrong with others and how others are responsible for their community/country's woes, without first looking inwards.

Read through the comments again, and you'll notice expressions (Nigerians are this, Nigerians are not that...)portray lack of ownership/stake in the Nigerian project. It's a reflection of the mind. Many are disconnected from being a Nigerian. No identity, no connectivity, no patriotisms.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 5:10pm On Jul 16, 2020
9jatriot:
This I believe is the new normal.
The way I think of it is this, assuming I ask people for a loan of 1 million with a pay back of 1 year at 16% interest with a hope to get at least 800k, only to have raised up to 4 million (oversubscription). After, I successfully pay those guys, the next time, I decide to see what happens if I reduce it to 10% interest, and still get 6 million compared to the 1 million I requested for.
Then I reduce again to 5% and get 6.5 million, tell me, if it were you, would you ever raise it to 16% again? Business wise, I do not think it will ever increase to such a rate again since people do not want to put their money in the real sector especially as we have now identified that most of those investment get stolen by workers.
I don't know why I have this feeling that the rate of TB was probably made intentionally high by politicians to legally enrich themselves, we probably only just took advantage of a system they initially created for themselves.

This is very sad, I believe everything will be reviewed after the pandemic.....But if doesn't, we will just have to wait for a new Government
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 5:14pm On Jul 16, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
New bond calender is out .....get ready from july 22

Chief, longest time.

The low TB rates has really dampened spirit....Cash just lying idle in Savings..

Savings now have a better interest rate than dreaded Fixed deposit.

This life, nothing lasts forever.....Remember those days of 18% -18.5% for 364 days tenor.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by talk2tonie: 5:18pm On Jul 16, 2020
Gavrelino123:

Chief, longest time.

The low TB rates has really dampened spirit....Cash just lying idle in Savings..

Saving now have a better interest rate than Fixed deposit.

Why is your cash idle in savings account at 3.75% when investment one VGIF is 7.5% and United Capital Bond fund is 8.2%?. You can choose any of the 2 or both after carrying out your due diligence. Alternatively, you can go for fgn bond if you are 50m loaded.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Gavrelino123: 5:29pm On Jul 16, 2020
talk2tonie:

Why is your cash idle in savings account at 3.75% when investment one VGIF is 7.5% and United Capital Bond fund is 8.2%?. You can choose any of the 2 or both after carrying out your due diligence. Alternatively, you can go for fgn bond if you are 50m loaded.

Brilliant Ideas.
Treasury Bill's is most transparent to me.....FGN Bonds is good but the process ain't funny..

VGIF and United capital bonds, are they backed by the Federal Government & regulated by CBN??

I'm not really a fan of making investments that is not backed by FGN

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 5:51pm On Jul 16, 2020
Gavrelino123:

Chief, longest time.

This life, nothing lasts forever.....Remember those days of 18% -18.5% for 364 days tenor.
very sweet days ....long time bro
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmasoft(m): 6:14pm On Jul 16, 2020
Gavrelino123:

Brilliant Ideas.
Treasury Bill's is most transparent to me.....FGN Bonds is good but the process ain't funny..

VGIF and United capital bonds, are they backed by the Federal Government & regulated by CBN??

VGIF is regulated by SEC and SEC is regulated by federal government. The truth is that part of the underlying assets of VGIF is the FGN Bonds.
Find attached facts of the fund sheet for second quarter 2020.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by talk2tonie: 6:20pm On Jul 16, 2020
Gavrelino123:

Brilliant Ideas.

These asset management companies (United Capital plc & investment one) are registered and licensed by the Securities and Exchange Commission of Nigeria (SEC) to act as Investment Advisers, Portfolio and Asset Managers.

FGN bond primary market auction is pretty straightforward once you have the required 50m just like treasury bills.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by vegasleo(f): 6:22pm On Jul 16, 2020
freeman67:

It could be a typo error it could be not, it could also be that that is not what you are called, so you won't be familiar with the spelling. You also may not be a woman. It could be that you have other plans. That no too does not carry that name..Karen Udoh is more like it.

Good day,
Please, I’m a bit confused about your response as regards to, if I’m a lady or not, or if I spelt my company name right or wrong, I take an exception to all you typed above.
Yes I am a Lady, and I work as a sales rep at TRUSTBANC GROUP. I was simply proffering an investment solution to the poster.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 6:53pm On Jul 16, 2020

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 6:54pm On Jul 16, 2020
Why Sanwo Olu no fit do this kind thing?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Brainbox0806: 7:20pm On Jul 16, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
New bond calender is out .....get ready from july 22

Sir, which bond is that? just checked the dmo site but can't find the new calendar, how do one get prepared for this?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 7:26pm On Jul 16, 2020
Brainbox0806:

Sir, which bond is that? just checked the dmo site but can't find the new calendar, how do one get prepared for this?
check the new bond offer is there
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mindgamers: 7:58pm On Jul 16, 2020
talk2tonie:

These asset management companies (United Capital plc & investment one) are registered and licensed by the Securities and Exchange Commission of Nigeria (SEC) to act as Investment Advisers, Portfolio and Asset Managers.

FGN bond primary market auction is pretty straightforward once you have the required 50m just like treasury bills.
talk2tonie:

talk2tonie:

how can I go ahead in buying the bonds, can one buy directly from first bank or must it be through an investment bank like fbn quest? can I bid through my bank? thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Godbpraised: 8:02pm On Jul 16, 2020
Bros this bidding what happens, can i bid at an higher rate ?
ahiboilandgas:
check the new bond offer is there
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by talk2tonie: 8:14pm On Jul 16, 2020
mindgamers:
[b][/b]

how can I go ahead in buying the bonds, can one buy directly from first bank or must it be through an investment bank like fbn quest? can I bid through my bank? thanks

For FGN bond, Please contact your bank.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jul 16, 2020
3rd quarter bond calender

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by topsquino(m): 11:38pm On Jul 16, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
Whooa is difficult been Nigerian investor a chap that bought 200k dollars @359 ...sold it for 465 today ....he made 21 million naira today from February to July....while cbn is giving 1.5 percent on it dead and risky Naira (junk) and strangely some investors are even oversubcribing....i suspects it not their money but that of pension contributions ,retires and some uninform people

In Nigeria, keeping your money in dollars is an investment. I learned this the hard way in 2016

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by topsquino(m): 11:45pm On Jul 16, 2020
chigo4u:

Some folks were so sure Naira will drop before now lol. This is madness. I’m still waiting for 500.

grin grin

Freelancers and yahoo yahoo guys will be smiling right now.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by topsquino(m): 11:54pm On Jul 16, 2020
Tobex4realTobex234:
Why Sanwo Olu no fit do this kind thing?

I wonder ooo.

Getting CofO in lagos is like walking through hell.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tolajay: 12:16am On Jul 17, 2020
Valid thought.

Which is why we need to mainstream the mental construct, values and outlook of the 30% minority.

We need a critical mass of value-oriented people to move the country forward.

It starts with individuals with these holding themselves to higher commitment to transfer same to people within their circle of influence, starting from the home.

emmanuelewumi:

I guess they generalised based on probability and their personal experiences. Our country is a reflection of the citizens.

I think we still have honest, responsible and contented Nigerians, these set of people should be in the minority. I am looking at about 30% of our population.

My opinion though

Absolutely! It's never going to be easy.

Systemic restructuring are beyond sheer optimism and hopefulness.

We (individual, corporate and governmental Nigeria) are not investing the required mental, attitudinal, character, financial... resources into making the country work, at this rate.

Nigeria would need to get to ground ZERO before we can fix it.

Donbrig:
Nigerians won't be easy to reset or change, particularly our weird mentality. Our vice president just said it will get more difficult to fight corruption and change lots of things in Nigeria. You guys are watching the massive corruption rocking NDDC, billions of naira that would have built schools, hospitals, roads, etc was stolen by few, but we just have to be hopeful and positive.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by vegasleo(f): 12:54am On Jul 17, 2020
Gavrelino123:

Chief, longest time.

Leaving your cash ideal isn’t a good idea if I may say.
How about you invest with us at TrustBanc Asset management, we guarantee you investment security, competitive interest rate, and yes we are also regulated by SEC. Also added to this are our various product offerings.

For more information you can visit our website @ www.trustbancgroup.com or call:
Stephanie

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Olaide1295: 1:30am On Jul 17, 2020
Imabong80:
emmanuelewumi, ahiboilandgas & emmasoft and other well meaning gurus in the house

Please I have NTB which I bought at 12.4% worth about 47m maturing on the 13th of August this year. I need objective advise on what next to do as this is my main source of upkeep monthly.

Half plots in Surulere sell for about 12m and people build 1bedroom mini flat and studio apartment on a 2 storey building for about 35m.

Generally rent for such apartment go for 450 to 350k respectively. I visited a site where a developer was doing 4nos mini flat on each floor of the 2storey building. He said he'll be renting out for 400k each In a nutshell, expected returns annually is about 4.5m.

Now that NTB rates has taken a nosedive, would this be a good investment? What are the pros and cons? Any banana peels to avoid? What other investment are available to try that guarantee capital preservation?

I am not experienced in this but i have been looking at some. Usually, the developers lease the land from land owners for say 30 years.
Then sell apartment to you for X years. You don't own those properties forever, and it can't be passed on to your family.
More like a declining balance investment, you cannot use the Capital to rent to calculate how good such investments are.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1412) (1413) (1414) (1415) (1416) (1417) (1418) ... (2227) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: ojesymsym, Macktaob(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.