Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,824 members, 7,802,630 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:47 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1680) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4419632 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1677) (1678) (1679) (1680) (1681) (1682) (1683) ... (2226) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Leezah(f): 5:36pm On Dec 01, 2020
DexterousOne:

I think they adopt the "When in Rome behave like Roman's approach "
Nigeria is a corrupt ridden useless entity
So to succeed in such environment
You have to "play the game "

Nigeria is the country I know that the system PENALISE you for wanting to do things the right way.
If you doubt, try getting your driver's licence or international passport via the "normal expected way"
Come and tell us the story later

Or try to seek building approval from the Lagos state ministry as it should be done
Let's see how it ends
So they are here and playing by the rules we set.

They have their businesses everywhere
You cant tell me they do brazen malpractice in Britain for example
They do it in Britain but. it brazenly in Nigeria.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Leezah(f): 5:37pm On Dec 01, 2020
Lazyyouth4u:

India is a very corrupt country. You can’t get anything done in India without cutting corners, bribing or using contacts in high places. Don’t say they learn these things in Naija. They are ogbologbos in their country and just blend naturally in Naija as everything in Naija is as it is in India. Have you ever been to India?
You are right but that doesn't mean they don't have upright people in the country and yes I have been to India
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Leezah(f): 5:40pm On Dec 01, 2020
Goel:

Try to be here in India, you'd never which government official would have called police upon you and gets you beaten. Indians are relatively content than being self-centered like Africans.
Where in India are you?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 5:40pm On Dec 01, 2020
Leezah:
They do it in Britain but. it brazenly in Nigeria.
British multinationals are robbing this country blind in Nigeria as well.
I think it's a case of maybe "what you can get away with"
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:48pm On Dec 01, 2020
A country were grown up middle class folks moan all day on the internet about how bad things are, how bad citizens are angry grin, constantly quoting useless western statistics and making baseless unproductive country/person/wealth comparisons is going nowhere.

Go do something productive. grin

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Leezah(f): 5:52pm On Dec 01, 2020
DexterousOne:

British multinationals are robbing this country blind in Nigeria as well.
I think it's a case of maybe "what you can get away with"
Abeg! Those ones are getting away with many things.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OldBeer: 6:04pm On Dec 01, 2020
ultron12345:
Lol... Some people are really comparing Nigerians to Indians.

In terms of business prowess (I usually say that Nigeria is just India on a scale reduced by 6, but with a less effective private sector. In Nigeria, the people blame the government for everything, while in India, the people take the bull by the horn, and you wonder why they are so successful in Nigeria) and achievements as a people, they are far far better off than Nigeria.

759,000 Indians are millionaires, while just 30,000 Nigerians are millionaires. This shows how business/investment saavy the people are.

Over 110 Indians have become billionaires while just 4 Nigerians have achieved that feat.

Even if you correct all these figures to cover up the population difference, Indians still gap Nigerians by far. Correct for population, for Nigeria to match India in the above indices, we should have 126,000 millionaires and 18 billionaires.

Go and look at their companies. You think Dangote is big, wait till you compare it with Tata Group or Reliance Industries and many others.

On Forbes 2000 companies, Indians have put 75 of their companies there, while only 4 Nigerian companies made the list.

Even in diaspora, you can't compare what Indians have achieved to Nigerians. Many have already mentioned the number of fortune 500 companies that Indians run, how many do Nigerians run?

The richest family in the UK is an Indian family.

In the UK, Indians families have the highest household incomes. Blacks have the least (even less than the UK average)
https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/work-pay-and-benefits/pay-and-income/household-income/latest

In the US, Indians have the highest household income at $135,000. Nigerians are at number 65 on the list ($61,000), which is even less than the national average of $63,000. Even Ghanaians rank higher than Nigerians on that list. Na only noise Nigerians sabi make, and then to blame everything on their government.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_groups_in_the_United_States_by_household_income
[/b]
The stock exchange Nigerians have been able to build is worth about $50B. Indians have built 2 stock exchanges, the NSE worth $2.2T and the BSE worth $2.1T. This should show you how vibrant each country is in terms of business.

You may call them poor, but they are still able to go into space. What have Nigerians and their NSRDA achieved concerning space?

Let's not even start talking about technological development.

Someone was saying its their large population, yet (I still dispute this statistic, it doesn't make any sense, but since most of those praising Nigerians now usually sing with it everytime, let me put it here) there are more Nigerians living in poverty (80M out of 200M), than there are in India's 1.3B (yes oo, na so dey talk, meaning less than 80M out of India's 1.3B are living in poverty, meaning India has a poverty rate of less than 6%.... Anyone who has been to India or even just studied general economic data of developing countries will know this is bullshit)

For honesty, I can only speak about my own experience with them and what I have heard from others who have had first hand experience with them. From my experience oo, Indians are a million times more honest than Nigerians. It was on this thread sometime ago that I shared my experience with Nigerian managers in my company, how everyone is working to steal from you, how I one changed management 3 times in a year, how Nigerian managers almost gave me hypertension. Until someone suggested I hire Indian managers. I was reluctant at first, considering how expensive it will be to be paying visa and flight tickets and all that for expatriate managers, but since I was already about to close down the factory due to Nigerian's wahala, I took the advice and from then on, it was like magic, for the first time ever, I had peace of mind on that factory. The surprising part was that they eventually turned out to be cheaper than the Nigerian management when you consider the increases in productivity and the leakages that Nigerians were using to steal money that they blocked.

Till today, when anyone complains about Nigerian staff and how their corruption/dishonesty is about to destroy their business, I tell them to hire Indians. In the past 2 years, 4 people have taken the advice and done it, and it has always ended in peace of mind, progress and happiness. Not a single one has regretted the decision. After the hell I have experienced in the hands of Nigerians, I have personally sworn never to put a Nigerian incharge of any of my businesses. If I can't be there to manage it myself, then it must be an Indian.

There is a popular company in Nigeria to which we supply products. When the Nigerians are incharge, you will spend over an hour, they will waste your time, talk to you anyhow and be using to style to demand bribe and "anything for the boys". But anytime the Indians are there, it's always very quick and straight-forward.

You think it's coincidence that many Nigerian companies are run by Indians, from Dangote to Globacom. You think its coincidence that Indian (and their Lebanese counterparts) businesses seem to do so well in Nigeria and are transferred generation to generation. You think its coincidence that they run all those fortune 500 companies.

But last last sha, Nigerians will do what they know how to do best, blame the government.

Mehn!
Thank you for this. You are definitely a ruthless capitalist.

I still don't understand where Nigerians get all this their empty pride from.
Majority of them are useless abroad and useless at home.

The ones abroad have to be the biggest empty barrels. Just because they are benefitting from the white man's hard work, they think they have arrived.

Still, they can't make any headway in spite of the numerous opportunities abroad especially when compared to Indians. But these same abroadians will sit on the internet and claim to know the solution to all Nigeria's problems. Solutions they could not implement before they ran away. It is people that listen to them I pity.

The ones in Nigeria - another extremely sorry case. All they know is religion, stealing from their workplace as per unmerited favor, knacks, and of course abusing Buhari.

Mediocrity home and away.

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadiima1: 6:08pm On Dec 01, 2020
jajeri3216:
A country were grown up middle class folks moan all day on the internet about how bad things are, how bad citizens are angry grin, constantly quoting useless western statistics and making baseless unproductive country/person/wealth comparisons is going nowhere.

Before the advent of social media, the days when there was no avenu to moan all day, Nigeria was falling just like it is now, maybe if we moan enough more people will be sensitized.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadiima1: 6:17pm On Dec 01, 2020
cry
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 7:08pm On Dec 01, 2020
jajeri3216:

"Useless western statistics "
Thats a new one
Let us assume your ridiculous claim is correct

Present your "UNUSELESS" African statistics let us see...
Then compare and contrast

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 7:09pm On Dec 01, 2020
OldBeer:
Mehn!
Thank you for this. You are definitely a ruthless capitalist.

I still don't understand where Nigerians get all this their empty pride from.
Majority of them are useless abroad and useless at home.

The ones abroad have to be the biggest empty barrels. Just because they are benefitting from the white man's hard work, they think they have arrived.

Still, they can't make any headway in spite of the numerous opportunities abroad especially when compared to Indians. But these same abroadians will sit on the internet and claim to know the solution to all Nigeria's problems. Solutions they could not implement before they ran away. It is people that listen to them I pity.

The ones in Nigeria - another extremely sorry case. All they know is religion, stealing from their workplace as per unmerited favor, knacks, and of course abusing Buhari.

Mediocrity home and away.
Nobody should compare Nigeria and India again
That's just it

There is NULL BASIS for comparison

When someone is short sighted in outlook
The person will most likely be useless to himself
Whether based in Nigeria
Or even Abroad

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 7:12pm On Dec 01, 2020
ositadiima1:

Before the advent of social media, the days when there was no avenu to moan all day, Nigeria was falling just like it is now, maybe if we moan enough more people will be sensitized.

Its unfortunate that "constructive criticism " of the status quo is seen as "moaning all day"

Apparently some are not very active on Reddjt and Quora to see how well educated people from all walks of life criticise the status quo in their respective countries
And have a productive conversation

Nigeria really has a long way to go when it comes to proper and balanced thinking
You are right
Maybe with constant complaints
Things may get better

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 8:51pm On Dec 01, 2020
Lazyyouth4u:

The 81bn gain is the gain in the market cap of the entire exchange. Not Airtel’s investors.

If it was the next Netflix, investors on the LSE would be rushing it na grin.

It was around N200bn gain for Airtel alone!

Transatlantic would be like "how will Airtel gain 200bn when the whole market only gained 82bn"

I should probably explain that all other stocks had a net loss of about 120bn, while Airtel gained 200bn. Net market gain was thus 82bn

Maybe he's on mountain.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Goel: 2:18am On Dec 02, 2020
Leezah:
Where in India are you?
Right now in Haryana.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by missjekyll: 3:11am On Dec 02, 2020
ositadiima1:
@ultron12345, I strongly concur with you. Nigerians are a bunch of noise makers. When ever one Nigerian manage to gain some recognition in the world scene we start to beat our chests and boast, but they never take there time to check out what other Nationals are doing or have been doing.

By the way, Indians have had a complex civilization before the west came into the picture. They had their own alphabets, science, mathematics and technology similar to the Chinese. What did we have pre-colonization ? Not much. Read "Things fall apart" by Chinua Achebe to get some perspective.

Self hate much? let me point you to Nsibidi which was an alphabet used by Igbos pre colonization.

What is science? who taught us that yam is good to eat? how to build the best houses for our climate using readily available materials? I bet you didnt know we had our very own system of counting. We were a fully functional society. Much of our feats were passed on orally from generation to generation. Oral tradition is a validated way of passing on history.
However it is very fragile and can be erased if some nincompoops decide its not worth remembering as the british did.

so miss me with your self hating bs. I come from proud stock.

11 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadiima1: 6:09am On Dec 02, 2020
missjekyll:

Self hate much? let me point you to Nsibidi which was an alphabet used by Igbos pre colonization.

What is science? who taught us that yam is good to eat? how to build the best houses for our climate using readily available materials? I bet you didnt know we had our very own system of counting. We were a fully functional society. Much of our feats were passed on orally from generation to generation. Oral tradition is a validated way of passing on history.
However it is very fragile and can be erased if some nincompoops decide its not worth remembering as the british did.

Almost all ancient tribes had a way to cook food na, or else hunger go finish them. You know that was not what I meant by science and mathematics.

Look at ur Nsibidi and compare with Sanskrit. I ask you, which one will you prefer?

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:33am On Dec 02, 2020
This India vs Naija argument don take another dimension sha. Oga Emmanuel only wanted to know why Indians seem to do very well at managing companies. Na wa o grin

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 9:02am On Dec 02, 2020
What exactly are Africans generally better at doing then?
On a personal level, after reviewing who we are as a people, in recent times my criticism of politicians, those in positions and leaders has reduced drastically.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 9:35am On Dec 02, 2020
ojesymsym:
On a personal level, after reviewing who we are as a people, in recent times my criticism of politicians, those in positions and leaders has reduced drastically.

They are good at attributing every of their problem to 'village people'. cool
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by missjekyll: 10:04am On Dec 02, 2020
ositadiima1:

Almost all ancient tribes had a way to cook food na, or else hunger go finish them. You know that was not what I meant by science and mathematics.

Look at ur Nsibidi and compare with Sanskrit. I ask you, which one will you prefer?

if you knew what science was,you wouldn't ask this. Science means seeking knowledge using steps that can be replicated to get the same result.
we thrived here. they came and malaria nearly wiped them out. why?

Oga you need to travel,you do sound like a self hating local champion. You will never ever ever be white. if you like hate and denigrate yourself till tomorrow. You need to start appreciating your culture or you can live your life as a pale imitation of a white man
I come in peace. Thank you for sharing Nsibidii . I know somebody is now looking at it with interest and will be motivated to learn more as a result.

10 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:37am On Dec 02, 2020
DexterousOne:

Its unfortunate that "constructive criticism " of the status quo is seen as "moaning all day"

Apparently some are not very active on Reddjt and Quora to see how well educated people from all walks of life criticise the status quo in their respective countries
And have a productive conversation

Nigeria really has a long way to go when it comes to proper and balanced thinking
You are right
Maybe with constant complaints
Things may get better

Moaning and doing are two seperate things.

Never compare yourselves to Europeans because there's a depth of diverse ideologies with which they run their societies.

We should focus more on solutions rather than constant complaining.

Examples , how can we build a functional credit scoring system, can we setup a citizens advice website, how do we empower more youths to start investing early.

Pretty much taking ownership, despite the government's failings.

One last thing, quoting western statistics doesn't mean you're a westerner or have some fundamental edge over the average Nigerian because of your adoration for everything western.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 10:42am On Dec 02, 2020
jajeri3216:

Moaning and doing are two seperate things.

Never compare yourselves to Europeans because there's a depth of diverse ideologies with which they run their societies.

We should focus more on solutions rather than constant complaining.

Examples , how can we build a functional credit scoring system, can we setup a citizens advice website, how do we empower more youths to start investing early.

Pretty much taking ownership, despite the government's failings.

One last thing, quoting western statistics doesn't mean you're a westerner or have some fundamental edge over the average Nigerian because of your adoration for everything western

To be very Frank with you
I dont understand the point you are trying to make with the bolded paragraphs

That said
The fundamentals need to be taken care of first
Which is the way we think
As a society
Most black fellows have defective thinking, and that has to change
Anyone can say whatever, or call me whatever, that is the uncomfortable truth that sometimes, people of other ethnicities are too polite to tell us

Once we get our thinking right
And get MAJORITY of the people properly educated
Then we can start talking about other things
Just a thought anyways
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 10:43am On Dec 02, 2020
ojesymsym:

Its the people that are the problem really
Because if not for anything
It's the expectations of the people that is manifesting in Aso Rock
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 10:44am On Dec 02, 2020
missjekyll:

It's hard for some of you "Pan Africanist" to accept

But we as a people have a lot of catching up to do

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadiima1: 10:46am On Dec 02, 2020
missjekyll:

if you knew what science was,you wouldn't ask this. Science means seeking knowledge using steps that can be replicated to get the same result.
we thrived here. they came and malaria nearly wiped them out. why?

Oga you need to travel,you do sound like a self hating local champion. You will never ever ever be white. if you like hate and denigrate yourself till tomorrow. You need to start appreciating your culture or you can live your life as a pale imitation of a white man
I come in peace. Thank you for sharing Nsibidii . I know somebody is now looking at it with interest and will be motivated to learn more as a result.

Lol, you call me a local champion and with the same breath you talk about how our culture is so great. Can't you see that you are as confused as I am?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 10:52am On Dec 02, 2020
ositadiima1:

Lol, you call me a local champion and with the same breath you talk about how our culture is so great. Can't you see that you are as confused as I am?

These days I don't need to travel to know things about our world. Thank God for d internet.

And by the way, the first 11 years of my life was in Rome, italy(2 years in Napoli my birth place). I know a little about the world, and comparatively (from what I remember some 25 years ago) Nigeria ain't trying at all.

Ironically
It's when I started travelling more, that almost everything about Nigeria began to disgust me the more
And someone will call you local champion for that undecided
We have serious issues and problems as a people

And I dont really blame anyone who calls us names
Because whether we like it or not
We deserve every disparaging name we get
Because of the shape of our society undecided
It's not something every black man can comprehend
In fact most black fellows cannot even comprehend it

But it is the way it is
Imagine the turnaround we will have when it comes to reputation and how the rest of the world treats us, if indeed we take that leadership role on the continent

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:03am On Dec 02, 2020
DexterousOne:

To be very Frank with you
I dont understand the point you are trying to make with the bolded paragraphs

That said
The fundamentals need to be taken care of first
Which is the way we think
As a society
Most black fellows have defective thinking, and that has to change
Anyone can say whatever, or call me whatever, that is the uncomfortable truth that sometimes, people of other ethnicities are too polite to tell us

Once we get our thinking right
And get MAJORITY of the people properly educated
Then we can start talking about other things
Just a thought anyways

You'll be waiting till kingdom come cheesy

Build something, create something, start something, empower someone cool

2 cents.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 11:06am On Dec 02, 2020
jajeri3216:

You'll be waiting till kingdom come cheesy

Build something, create something, start something, empower someone cool

2 cents.

Well, i agree
But there is only so much one person can do
This kind of thing needs synergy action

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadiima1: 11:36am On Dec 02, 2020
lipsrsealed
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 11:38am On Dec 02, 2020
Everdonbdc quoting 452/467 for USD.
who can confirm?
aboki fx not loading.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 11:53am On Dec 02, 2020
always resist the urge to shalaye. When people try to trip you on this forum, what you do not know is that you are being led to inadvertently give out personal details about yourself. The result of all that will probably not be felt until a few years. I know you know in your hearts of hearts that with the level of insecurity in the country, this is not a wise thing to do.
Just resist the urge I suggest
ositadiima1:

Edited also. WTF !
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DexterousOne(m): 11:56am On Dec 02, 2020
ojesymsym:
always resist the urge to shalaye. When people try to trip you on this forum, what you do not know is that you are being led to inadvertently give out personal details about yourself. The result of all that will probably not be felt until a few years. I know you know in your hearts of hearts that with the level of insecurity in the country, this is not a wise thing to do.
Just resist the urge I suggest
I think I agree with this Osita

(1) (2) (3) ... (1677) (1678) (1679) (1680) (1681) (1682) (1683) ... (2226) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.