Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,831 members, 7,802,664 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:29 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (659) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4419688 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (656) (657) (658) (659) (660) (661) (662) ... (2226) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by awesomeJ(m): 12:45pm On Jan 05, 2019
unite4real:

Thank you but everyone has his risk appetite in variations. The essence of this forum is capital preservations and guaranteed interest. The reason we discuss TB and Bonds here.

Is there a calendar for currency devaluation? Has dollar performed better since August 2017 when exchange rate was 369? Even when people anticipated high exchange this yultide and election period, is there any sign? CBN is better prepared for speculators now. The Foreign exchange futures contract is one tool and policy that is helping to stabilize exchange.

For your information I have locked down 6M @15.74% for 7 years. All interest coming in every 6 months will go into Treasury bills investments at prevailing rates to compound my interests. After 7 years and liquidation, you can come back to this comment and tell me I have run at a loss.

I will be waiting.
We can't wait that long now. 7years?

I think a better option is for you, Jejebaba, and maybe someone else to give their estimates of where they think the exchange rate will be in 7years. That way we can simulate whether or not there will be net GAINS or GAINS (like saying yes or yes.. lol)

So If Emefiele gets second term this year, or he gets replaced by someone who will continue or improve on his present efforts.

My guess is for USD/NGN to be at 500 at the worst.

In these 7 years, let's also bear in mind the refined petroleum products and some other items are likely to get knocked off our import bill.

Shale in my opinion has probably done its worst, so $60-$70 may be a pretty good guess for oil prices over this period.

So I'd say give your own forecast for these three things and then we can together see what happens in 7 years.

1. USD/NGN rate
2. average yield obtainable on a dollar investment of about $17,000
3. average NTB rate.

cc Jejebaba, Unite4real, the rest of us.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 1:10pm On Jan 05, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
not really he can be using the coupons payment to buy dollars to reduce risk...

That's a deal too
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by beyolah: 2:01pm On Jan 05, 2019
Anyone please?

beyolah:
Hello everyone
Apart from First bank, which other bank allows you to reinvest your interest upfront?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 2:05pm On Jan 05, 2019
Jejebabaa:

Sir you won't run at a loss in naira terms but betting Naira against USD for 7 years is a risky one. USD is a strong currency whose governments has world calss businesses such as Apple, Amazon, Mercedes Benz, BMW, Coca-cola and so on that is exported everywhere in the world and has their money repatriated to their host countries, USA compared to Naira that is being defended solely from petrodollars that moves in cycles. The only way Emefiele will keep defending Naira is when oil price stays above $50, once it nosedives to below $50 or those "Pipeline Engineers" in Niger Delta resumes to their normal bombing, then expect a serious devaluations.
All the best sir in ur 7 years locked down.
untrue we are reducing our import bill like petrol we will stop import by 2020 this will cut of 40 percent of dollar demand ...other are coming fertiliser etc by the time the get the right mix naira /dollars might be 300 /280 ...develop countries too don't want a over strong currency cos it make export cost and poor countries will be looking to china and self sufficiency

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Jejebabaa: 4:17pm On Jan 05, 2019
I dont really have energy to argue today but i will give you some countries who has their currencies weakened as a result of oil crises.
Canada has their currencies weakened to 1 USD now equal to 1.34 CAD and 1 CAD was stronger than USD in 2012.
Norwegian Kroners (NOK) also felt the oil crises despite having a trillion dollars sovereign wealth fund with less population. These are top countries ooo that Nigerian doesnt measure up. The only set of countries currencies that were unaffected are the Gulf Countries GCC who have their currencies pegged to dollars with so much external reserves.
For me, i dont base my investment on hope but on what is on ground. Attached is the performance of Nigerian Naira against USD in the past. Though, past performance is not a guarantee of future results.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_naira

In 1972, 1 naira=$1.52 and fast forward to 2019, $1 is now 360 Naira, meaning 1000 Naira was $1520 in 1972 and the same 1000 naira is now $2.78 today, that is 99.82% loss. Personally, i cant stake my money in Naira more than a year, its usually 6 months and rollover if the economy is still doing fine.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Jejebabaa: 4:26pm On Jan 05, 2019
awesomeJ:

We can't wait that long now. 7years?

I think a better option is for you, Jejebaba, and maybe someone else to give their estimates of where they think the exchange rate will be in 7years. That way we can simulate whether or not there will be net GAINS or GAINS (like saying yes or yes.. lol)

So If Emefiele gets second term this year, or he gets replaced by someone who will continue or improve on his present efforts.

My guess is for USD/NGN to be at 500 at the worst.

In these 7 years, let's also bear in mind the refined petroleum products and some other items are likely to get knocked off our import bill.

Shale in my opinion has probably done its worst, so $60-$70 may be a pretty good guess for oil prices over this period.

So I'd say give your own forecast for these three things and then we can together see what happens in 7 years.

1. USD/NGN rate
2. average yield obtainable on a dollar investment of about $17,000
3. average NTB rate.

cc Jejebaba, Unite4real, the rest of us.

Boss, its difficult for me to predict where Naira will be in 7 years as so many factors determines that, even Emefiele cant tell where it will be since he doesnt have power over oil price and other things. 7 years lockdown of my fund is too much for me, investment opportunities comes in many form with better yield but since he only stakes 5M its a good idea atleast it is part of a diversified portfolio and minimizing risk. May be i am just being extra careful these days considering what happened to me and some of my friends in 2015-17. Changing USD/GBP to Naira to invest and getting back less by the time our investments matured and planning to change it back to forex. I think if someone earns in naira with living expenses in Naira, such person will care less of exchange rates.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by freeman67: 5:14pm On Jan 05, 2019
We keep running around same issue over and over again. The truth is that we can only forecast what is likely to happen but that doesn't it must happen that way. Before 2015 elections USD/NGN exchange rate was $1/ N150,000. After the elections it went high that $1was exchanging for between N480 & N500 people were still buying at that rate in anticipation that it was going to exchange for N1000 later as predicted by some analysts. Then it crashed to later stabilise between N360-N365 in 2016 and since then the exchange rate has remained same. Every investment has its own risk. The higher the risk, the higher the reward and with luck on your side wrong decision can actually turn right.

Those that bought USD to hoard before the election made some gain while those that bought after loose money. The probably of them regaining that money is still 50/50.
While

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 11:18pm On Jan 05, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Quincykay: 1:03am On Jan 06, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
not really he can be using the coupons payment to buy dollars to reduce risk...

Hello, please what is coupon payment and how does it reduce risk?

... from dividends, I get it now.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bahbender: 9:34am On Jan 06, 2019
@feelamong pls kindly get across the investment procedure and and expected return on a particular amonut invested from 100k and above very urgent pls to bahbender@yahoo.com thanks in anticipation
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by purleesh(f): 9:51am On Jan 06, 2019
dipoolowoo:
T-Bills Market Bearish on Absence of OMO Sale by CBN
https://businesspost.ng/2019/01/05/t-bills-market-bearish-on-absence-of-omo-sale-by-cbn/

House please this is for knowledge sake...I usually notice dipoolowo's posts always mention TBill yields with OMO transactions.

Please how exactly does OMO sales affect Treasury Bill yields?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bahbender: 9:52am On Jan 06, 2019
feelamong:

Am not sure you need a current account to trade on Tbills. I know a couple of people who use their savings account in their bank to do so. Just ask any of ur bankers in Benin. The coy i use have a good online presence just incase there is no discount house in Benin that can assist you on this. Am sure many others in lagos also have good online presence...but if you want me to introduce you to the guy that assist me ..then send me a mail to feelamong@gmail.com

pls send details to me too bahbender@yahoo.com
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by bahbender: 10:07am On Jan 06, 2019
feelamong:

yes I trade cryptos...Tough bearish market now. Good time to learn too!

can you help put me through also
bahbender@yahoo.com
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Iamzik: 5:47pm On Jan 06, 2019
Please when is the next Tbill auction for primary market? Does anyone know the last rate for FBN primary market 364 days?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NobodyKnows(m): 9:15pm On Jan 06, 2019
unite4real:

Thank you but everyone has his risk appetite in variations. The essence of this forum is capital preservations and guaranteed interest. The reason we discuss TB and Bonds here.

Is there a calendar for currency devaluation? Has dollar performed better since August 2017 when exchange rate was 369? Even when people anticipated high exchange this yultide and election period, is there any sign? CBN is better prepared for speculators now. The Foreign exchange futures contract is one tool and policy that is helping to stabilize exchange.

For your information I have locked down 6M @15.74% for 7 years. All interest coming in every 6 months will go into Treasury bills investments at prevailing rates to compound my interests. After 7 years and liquidation, you can come back to this comment and tell me I have run at a loss.

I will be waiting.
Correct man
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by anitank(f): 2:40am On Jan 07, 2019
unite4real:

I will be waiting.

Damn!! I’ve been out of this thread for too long.
Please is there a timetable for this FG sukuk bond? I’m interested in going this long
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by unite4real: 6:48am On Jan 07, 2019
anitank:

Damn!! I’ve been out of this thread for too long.
Please is there a timetable for this FG sukuk bond? I’m interested in going this long

There is no timetable but after budget approval, it will come up but notice will be issued ahead of time.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by MrCuteID(m): 8:54am On Jan 07, 2019
Are you a Federal Government or Lagos State Government Staff with IPPIS # or ORACLE #? and you need an urgent loan from (Minimum of:N 50,000 to Maximum :N 3,000,000.00 ) at a very lowest interest rate 2.16% monthly in order to foot your obligations or to invest in a business?. For more details, please Inbox me privately or call 08024463908,08119219131
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ozymes: 10:41am On Jan 07, 2019
2.16% p.a?
MrCuteID:
Are you a Federal Government or Lagos State Government Staff with IPPIS # or ORACLE #? and you need an urgent loan from (Minimum of:N 50,000 to Maximum :N 3,000,000.00 ) at a very lowest interest rate 2.16% monthly in order to foot your obligations or to invest in a business?. For more details, please Inbox me privately or call 08024463908,08119219131
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Happyfellow147: 3:49pm On Jan 07, 2019
Please has anyone heard of Renmoney? I learnt their fixed deposit rate is about 22-25% p.a
Who knows about them? This is not to derail the thread o
Just helping ourselves with information
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by naijaobi(m): 4:08pm On Jan 07, 2019
Happyfellow147:
Please has anyone heard of Renmoney? I learnt their fixed deposit rate is about 22-25% p.a

LOOOL.. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 4:10pm On Jan 07, 2019
Happyfellow147:
Lolz. How is Ren money making such high profits to give to investors? Oga, na Scam! Scammer!! Scammest!!!

Okay, my people, diamond bank gave me 14.5% for 365 days. Is this a good offer? Though, it's far better than that my Yeye HIDA @ 6% sha o but just want to hear from the pros here.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Johnadelaide00: 4:33pm On Jan 07, 2019
Was it today? I was given 13.5% for 346 days today
OgogoroFreak:
Lolz. How is Ren money making such high profits to give to investors? Oga, na Scam! Scammer!! Scammest!!!

Okay, my people, diamond bank gave me 14.5% for 365 days. Is this a good offer? Though, it's far better than that my Yeye HIDA @ 6% sha o but just want to hear from the pros here.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Phyde: 5:37pm On Jan 07, 2019
Ibrahim505:
tbills interest fluctuates and while this is fixed throughout the duration. Investing 2.1m in the bond while compounding the annual interest will makes your money grow to 6.2m by maturity.
Among many reason the rich keep getting richer.
What is the procedure getting this bond and which bank ?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 6:56pm On Jan 07, 2019
Johnadelaide00:
Was it today? I was given 13.5% for 346 days today
yes, today
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mousco(m): 7:34pm On Jan 07, 2019
I really want to know how this Tbill works, am new to it.... And really want to invest and yield returns.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Hamthablow(m): 8:14pm On Jan 07, 2019
feelamong:

yes I trade cryptos...Tough bearish market now. Good time to learn too!
Pls brova, I need the full details. Thanks hamthablow007@yahoo.com
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Hamthablow(m): 8:22pm On Jan 07, 2019
Ibrahim505:
tbills interest fluctuates and while this is fixed throughout the duration. Investing 2.1m in the bond while compounding the annual interest will makes your money grow to 6.2m by maturity.
Among many reason the rich keep getting richer.

Pls bro, I need more info on this. hamthablow007@yahoo.com
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 3:58am On Jan 08, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chloride6: 7:59am On Jan 08, 2019
unite4real:

I will be waiting.

Just buy Derivatives and Hedge against FX losses

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (656) (657) (658) (659) (660) (661) (662) ... (2226) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: DAramis, dacool1(m), Willie2015, Donsheddy and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.