Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,428 members, 7,808,527 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:03 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (698) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4427357 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (695) (696) (697) (698) (699) (700) (701) ... (2227) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Infinitisi(m): 11:34am On Feb 15, 2019
Posted again for the newbies who keep asking this question.

Infinitisi:
For those who keep asking for help in calculating their interest this link will be useful for you. Just input the necessary figures and it calculates your interest for you.

Still doesn't stop you from learning the way it is calculated. It is actually quite easy.

https://app.nairametrics.com/treasury_bill

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by billtommy(m): 11:35am On Feb 15, 2019
thats a difference of .15 difference from what i got from firstbank yesterday. They have been parading 14.1% since last week.

Only God knows what happened to their rate...am angry
alfajohn:
you are lucky to get 14.65% for 363 days for secondary market. Stanbic ibtc just gave me 14.25 for 356 days. To think that I moved the bulk of the money from uba to stanbic is not interesting to me at all

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Adiwana: 12:48pm On Feb 15, 2019
alfajohn:
you are lucky to get 14.65% for 363 days for secondary market. Stanbic ibtc just gave me 14.25 for 356 days. To think that I moved the bulk of the money from uba to stanbic is not interesting to me at all

Me was thinking about moving to GT bank this morning cause losing 40k under 24 hours is not something I would like to experience.Seems at that rate it was a very good bargain
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 12:51pm On Feb 15, 2019
Adiwana:

Me was thinking about moving to GT bank this morning cause losing 40k under 24 hours is not something I would like to experience.Seems at that rate it was a very good bargain

So after you move and you now loose 41k under 24 hours in GTB, you will move again abi?. cheesy
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Desanta(m): 12:54pm On Feb 15, 2019
Sweetmumsi:
Hi all, is it possible to invest in treasury bills two times in a year, perhaps using different banks.
Example, if I should use zenith bank for the 1st one (182days ), upon maturation ,can I withdraw the money and go to another bank to purchase treasury bills for another 182days?

Just thinking
Yes it's possible.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Adiwana: 1:12pm On Feb 15, 2019
NL1960:

So after you move and you now loose 41k under 24 hours in GTB, you will move again abi?. cheesy

Oga mi no be my fault o.You know this money of a thing get as it dey be.40k under 1 day no be small money.Am thankful I continued with it sha grin grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Sweetmumsi: 2:15pm On Feb 15, 2019
Desanta:

Yes it's possible.

Thank you very much
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akin3891: 2:23pm On Feb 15, 2019
Anyone with first bank rate for yesterday primary? Was there bids successful? I need to know, cos I'm investing through them comes fortnight . Kindly update if you have any info. Thanks.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kings11ng(m): 2:58pm On Feb 15, 2019
Adiwana:
Hello house,just coming from UBA.i was given 2,930,000 for 20 million at 363 days. I saw some people here say they were given by Gtb at 14.8% yesterday for 364 days.My question is do banks differ in rate they give their customers?? How come Gtb gave 14.8% for 364 yesterday and today UBA gave me 14.65% for 363 days?
wow somebody is doing TB of 20million and am here doing 400k... dairis god oooh
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by NL1960: 3:08pm On Feb 15, 2019
kings11ng:

Have you ever heard of the saying 'little drops of water .....' or 'the young shall grow'?.

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Akerewe(m): 3:12pm On Feb 15, 2019
good day great investors,
pls how long does it take to liquidate a treasure Bill with stanbic bank nd who can predict Monday's secondary market stop rate?
thanks in anticipation.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 4:30pm On Feb 15, 2019
If Buhari wins rate will remain at a stagnant growth but if Atiku wins rate will go up within a short period, this is due to various reasons.

Akerewe:
good day great investors,
pls how long does it take to liquidate a treasure Bill with stanbic bank nd who can predict Monday's secondary market stop rate?
thanks in anticipation.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Happyfellow147: 8:32pm On Feb 15, 2019
Na so we see o 14.2%
The stanbic branch I visited have given me the exact rates and tenor 3 times I went there this Feb. I wonder what is happening.
alfajohn:
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CompareDBest: 11:51pm On Feb 15, 2019
dexla:
I'm actually a newbie here and I'd like some clarification.
So I was wondering if I decide to invest in TBills and I went through my bank, will they allow me capitalize my interest?
This reply is for reinvesting your interest to compound it, or get the True Yield of T-Bills. Please skip or ignore if capitalize means something entirely different:

Ogas on this thread with experience on the matter discussed this most recently on pages 689 and 690. However, if you are time poor like all of us really, try these main replies:
https://www.nairaland.com/878880/treasury-bills-nigeria/688#75396323
https://www.nairaland.com/878880/treasury-bills-nigeria/689#75409612

If we were to summarise
> FirstBank (maybe few others) explicitly offer reinvesting interest on their application forms
> GTBank does not explicitly offer, however, because it only deducts the discounted amount (Capital - upfront Interest), you can state the amount you want to invest is (Capital + upfront interest). GTB then deducts your full capital, including what would have been your upfront interest. Example, say you know the t-bills rate of your bank to be 10%, and you have N900k to invest. If you say you had N900k to invest, GTB will deduct only N810k and credit you with N900k at maturity. However, with this trick, you say you have N1m to invest, then your full N900k will be deducted and you get N1m at maturity.
> It may logically follow that other banks which deduct only discounted amount, not those that deduct full amount then credit back upfront interest even if minutes apart, might also allow the GTBank trick above
> caution should be taken to test above first, even with GTBank as Oga freeman67 only did it ages ago, and every bank does it's own checks differently.
> Also important, in addition to the capital to be deducted, account should have spare cash for all charges (commission, custodian/safekeeping, transaction, processing, 5% VAT on some or all of the preceding fees)

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by lancee(m): 3:18am On Feb 16, 2019
Election postponed till NEXT WEEK SATURDAY

Biz continues
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by erjo: 3:38am On Feb 16, 2019
Can one start this TB investment with 100k? As I don't have much for now......? Because I went to first bank and the investment manager said the lest amount I can use is 1m...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by alezzy13: 4:53am On Feb 16, 2019
CompareDBest:
This reply is for reinvesting your interest to compound it, or get the True Yield of T-Bills. Please skip or ignore if capitalize means something entirely different:

Ogas on this thread with experience on the matter discussed this most recently on pages 689 and 690. However, if you are time poor like all of us really, try these main replies:
https://www.nairaland.com/878880/treasury-bills-nigeria/688#75396323
https://www.nairaland.com/878880/treasury-bills-nigeria/689#75409612

If we were to summarise
> FirstBank (maybe few others) explicitly offer reinvesting interest on their application forms
> GTBank does not explicitly offer, however, because it only deducts the discounted amount (Capital - upfront Interest), you can state the amount you want to invest is (Capital + upfront interest). GTB then deducts your full capital, including what would have been your upfront interest. Example, say you know the t-bills rate of your bank to be 10%, and you have N900k to invest. If you say you had N900k to invest, GTB will deduct only N810k and credit you with N900k at maturity. However, with this trick, you say you have N1m to invest, then your full N900k will be deducted and you get N1m at maturity.
> It may logically follow that other banks which deduct only discounted amount, not those that deduct full amount then credit back upfront interest even if minutes apart, might also allow the GTBank trick above
> caution should be taken to test above first, even with GTBank as Oga freeman67 only did it ages ago, and every bank does it's own checks differently.
> Also important, in addition to the capital to be deducted, account should have spare cash for all charges (commission, custodian/safekeeping, transaction, processing, 5% VAT on some or all of the preceding fees)

Yeah, I tried doing this during my last auction but was told its not possible (GTB).
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 5:32am On Feb 16, 2019
erjo:
Can one start this TB investment with 100k? As I don't have much for now......? Because I went to first bank and the investment manager said the lest amount I can use is 1m...

Yes I remembered in those days I started with 100k with uba then. Go to other banks

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 5:35am On Feb 16, 2019
TotoNaRubber:
If Buhari wins rate will remain at a stagnant growth but if Atiku wins rate will go up within a short period, this is due to various reasons.

Sir, let's have those reasons, so this can guide our investment strategy

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 5:41am On Feb 16, 2019
kings11ng:

Lol.....you will do more than 20m if you are well focused and follow your investment strategies that work for you well. I started with 100k

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 7:44am On Feb 16, 2019
aremso:

Lol.....you will do more than 20m if you are well focused and follow your investment strategies that work for you well. I started with 100k

Hmm, interesting. When was this? I mean how many years ago?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by erjo: 7:51am On Feb 16, 2019
aremso:

Yes I remembered in those days I started with 100k with uba then. Go to other banks
can I still invest now?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 8:00am On Feb 16, 2019
Grupo:

its been long though i cant the actual year again but i know i started with 100k uba bank western avenue branch not far from con oil f/s

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by aremso(m): 8:19am On Feb 16, 2019
erjo:

can I still invest now?

you can confirm from banks around.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by skyangel(f): 8:39am On Feb 16, 2019
Since i've gained a whole lot of knowledge from this very thread, i equally want to give a little contribution based on recent experience with stanbic.
I submitted 2 forms to purchase tbills from both secondary mkt & primary (last auction), i gave instruction that both interest be reinvested, though no space in their form to fill in that.. Just told the banker who used biro to note it on the two forms.
Result i got.: The interest was reinvested for the secondary while that of primary was left smiling in my account.
Was i disappointed? YES
My conclusion based on the above, Stanbic can reinvest interest only if it's secondary & not primary auction

Any one with contrary experience fron stanbic may share

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 9:25am On Feb 16, 2019
Grupo:

I started with around 800 k ,in 2007 now exceeds 50 m..am around mid 30 infact by 2023 my holding with pass 100 m ....and my life long ambition to earn 1 million per month from treasury bill is near..i don't know of am rich or poor but the feeling is nice..
..i don't have an iPhone x this my phone is 40 k ,I used a Honda 2007 (1.4m) and still buy tokunbo shirts (1500 ) jeans 3 k and shoe 5k to 7k ...,I book flight online to get discount and also luv discount shops ...i luv good food so I have a chef that make my meals at time and visit club like quilox or sip atime to spend 5 k...i also give put to charity like 100 k annually ...it a long route to legitimate wealth ....but not easy but very possible ....i don't think am hard working....it a combination of luck ,perseverance, and spirit of keep pushing it will click by God grace ...in 2007 was earning 70 k as a graduate and had a car from my university so I sold the car add my salary saving keep in fix deposit planing to save for my Msc in the UK,I didn't get the visa then I used 200 k to so a MBA in nigeria then the prof taught me treasury bills bond and stock then I became addicted my babe even ran cos I keep prosp the wedding.....so starter don't feel discourage in 5 years time your capital will double and might triple if u keep adding ...am sit.planing to go to Canada via express entry to continue hustling and study for phd...nb typo errors

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 9:49am On Feb 16, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
I started with around 800 k ,in 2007 now exceeds 50 m..am around mid 30 infact by 2023 my holding with pass 100 m ....and my life long ambition to earn 1 million per month from treasury bill is near..i don't know of am rich or poor but the feeling is nice..
..i don't have an iPhone x this my phone is 40 k ,I used a Honda 2007 (1.4m) and still buy tokunbo shirts (1500 ) jeans 3 k and shoe 5k to 7k ...,I book flight online to get discount and also luv discount shops ...i luv good food so I have a chef that make my meals at time and visit club like quilox or sip atime to spend 5 k...i also give put to charity like 100 k annually ...it a long route to legitimate wealth ....but not easy but very possible ....i don't think am hard working....it a combination of luck ,perseverance, and spirit of keep pushing it will click by God grace ...in 2007 was earning 70 k as a graduate and had a car from my university so I sold the car add my salary saving keep in fix deposit planing to save for my Msc in the UK,I didn't get the visa then I used 200 k to so a MBA in nigeria then the prof taught me treasury bills bond and stock then I became addicted my babe even ran cos I keep prosp the wedding.....so starter don't feel discourage in 5 years time your capital will double and might triple if u keep adding ...am sit.planing to go to Canada via express entry to continue hustling and study for phd...nb typo errors

Hmmm, your post is very inspirational. I hope to reach your level soon.

I'd love to ask a few "personal" questions. Hope you would not mind answering.

Do you have a conventional 9 to 5 job or you run your own business? I think it's easier to grow your funds in TB with a salaried job.

Well, I will be 28 by June this year and I only have around 4m in treasury bills. You have just inspired me to work harder.

I deprive myself of so many things to save more than 70% of my income each month. No girlfriend, no car and no expensive phones.

Instead of a flat, I manage a small self con in a very quiet town with virtually no social life.

9 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Agbaletu: 9:51am On Feb 16, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
Despite the fact that I am older, but allow me to call you the BOSS. I am so so impressed, man! I wish many people can learn from you.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Capitas7: 9:55am On Feb 16, 2019
dharpzee:

Why dont you just try Meristem and save yourself this stress.

Good morning. The minimum amount Meristem accepts for TB investment is N1m. How true is that please? And what is the current interest rate on their mutual funds? Thank you chief
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mahvie: 9:57am On Feb 16, 2019
lol
dont be soo fast to jump into a conclusion. you could have gonr ahead to ask for clarification from the branch before "concluding"
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mahvie: 9:58am On Feb 16, 2019
skyangel:
Since i've gained a whole lot of knowledge from this very thread, i equally want to give a little contribution based on recent experience with stanbic.
I submitted 2 forms to purchase tbills from both secondary mkt & primary (last auction), i gave instruction that both interest be reinvested, though no space in their form to fill in that.. Just told the banker who used biro to note it on the two forms.
Result i got.: The interest was reinvested for the secondary while that of primary was left smiling in my account.
Was i disappointed? YES
My conclusion based on the above, Stanbic can reinvest interest only if it's secondary & not primary auction

Any one with contrary experience fron stanbic may share

lol
dont be soo fast to jump into a conclusion. you could have gonr ahead to ask for clarification from the branch before "concluding"
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Agbaletu: 10:04am On Feb 16, 2019
Grupo:

Hmmm, your post is very inspirational. I hope to reach your level soon.

I'd love to ask a few "personal" questions. Hope you would not mind answering.

Do you have a conventional 9 to 5 job or you run your own business? I think it's easier to grow your funds in TB with a salaried job.

Well, I will be 28 by June this year and I only have around 4m in treasury bills. You have just inspired me to work harder.

I deprive myself of so many things to save more than 70% of my income each month. No girlfriend, no car and no expensive phones.

Instead of a flat, I manage a small self con in a very quiet town with virtually no social life.
You guys have proven some of us here wrong that most of the younger ones are not serious. If you guys can continue like this, I can tell you that you will be better than most of your mates in the next few years.
Do you know that my driver's phone is even more expensive than mine? He once asked me, why am I living like a poor man? I just hand waved him and told him not to worry. I work 9 - 5, and I still manage to finish my PhD two years ago and my employer is not aware till now.
Aside shoes, I don't use expensive things.

I am always delighted reading inspirational messages form the younger ones.
Guys, keep it up. Hope to meet any of you someday.

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (695) (696) (697) (698) (699) (700) (701) ... (2227) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Itsrm(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.