Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,902 members, 7,806,636 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:32 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (817) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4424863 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (814) (815) (816) (817) (818) (819) (820) ... (2227) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CompareDBest: 6:01pm On Jul 01, 2019
nwolisar:

I was amazed at their secondary rates too as at last week, however funds were not liquid then, else I would have locked in.
Is it likely for rates to gain for this Wednesday's auction?
Very little hope sir. As you likely know, the rates have been trending downwards. However, if you are looking for tenors close to 91 days, many banks have secondary market rates that beat the recent primary auction rates for 91 day tbills: http://comparedbest.com/ng/best-nigerian-treasury-bill-rates.html .
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by PearlStreet(m): 1:36am On Jul 02, 2019
DaBogu:
Stop hating on ositadima1 here, he aint the reason you're broke or NBT rates falling.

Use that energy to double your hustle

Donate your advice to your broke, gambling boyfriend.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 4:15am On Jul 02, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:11am On Jul 02, 2019
holyprime:

well I understand your logic, that is why they say all fingers are not equal...

going by this your logic, that your friend is also a learner, because there are other persons worth many billions of dollars...lol

Have been trying to email you, how can I reach you Sir?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kryptem: 7:16am On Jul 02, 2019
Deknight45:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Commercial Papers

What are Commercial Papers?

Commercial Papers (“CPs”) are unsecured short-term debt instruments issued by corporates to get funds from the public (private individuals, institutional investors, non-governmental organisations, religious bodies etc.) to meet short-term debt obligations such as working capital needs.

How do Commercial Papers work?

CPs are similar to Treasury bills (“T-Bills”) because they are issued at discount rates, which may be paid upfront or capitalized.

For instance, an investor could choose to receive N1m in the future (maturity amount/face value), which would require an ‘upfront’ investment below that face value (for instance N980,000 for a 90-day instrument at 8.0%), or could choose to invest N1m today to receive a ‘capitalized’ return above the investment amount (for instance N1.02m for a 90-day instrument at 8.0%).

What is a True Yield?

The ‘true yield’ is the effective return on investment (ROI). Using a simplified example, if an investor wants to receive N100,000 after a one-year period (365-days) and chooses to invest in a discounted instrument which is offered at a rate of 10%, the investor will pay a discounted value of N90,000 to receive N100,000 at maturity.

The true yield on that investment is not 10.0%. It is in fact 11.1%, calculated as return received as against the initial investment (N10,000/N90,000). This represents the return to the investor if the instrument is held to maturity.

The discount rate is used to calculate the present value of an investment, which differs from the yield on an investment.

Primary and Secondary Market for Commercial Papers

A CP can be purchased either in a primary or secondary market. The primary market is where investors buy financial instruments at issuance, while in the secondary market, investors trade (i.e. buy and sell) instruments purchased at primary market issuances.

The minimum purchase amount in the primary market may vary depending on the issue size. However, the minimum limit is typically set at N5m, while in the secondary market there are no standard lot sizes, but a minimum of N100m should be prepared for any purchase.

The major limitation for the secondary market trading of commercial papers is the illiquidity within the market, given that purchasers of these instruments typically only sell instruments in large volume sizes. Consequently, purchasing CPs is easier in the primary market.

What is the Tenor?

CPs are issued for time periods which match the issuer’s needs, with minimum and maximum tenors of 15 days and 270 days respectively.

What is a Commercial Paper Auction?

In the primary market, the issuer through an Issuing House sells to the market, through a fixed price subscription. Here, market participants signal interest in the issue and commit to purchasing volume sizes over an ‘offer period’ – which typically lasts only a few days.

This process is so because the rate on the issuance is fixed prior to offer to the market. This is unlike the T-Bills primary market issuances which are held in an auction format and investors are allowed to state the yields at which they would be willing to invest.

What do I Benefit from Investing in Commercial Papers?

While CPs in Nigeria are typically issued by blue-chip corporates with impressive track records of financial performance, this does not eliminate credit risk.

The discount rate on the CP is usually reflective of the credit rating of the issuer, which may be gleaned from the magnitude of the difference between the discount rate on a T-Bill with similar maturity and the CP being issued.

Consequently, CPs offer investors the opportunity to purchase better yielding instruments than available on risk-free instruments, if they are willing to take the calculated risk.

How are Commercial Papers different from Treasury Bills?

CPs have similar characteristics to T-Bills, relating to the mode of pricing. However, that is where the similarities end. T-Bills are usually issued by the government through the CBN at auctions which are typically held fortnightly, for fixed tenors of 91-days, 182-days, and 364-days.

Also, the minimum volume to participate in the T-Bills primary market auctions is N50,001,000.0, while secondary markets are very active and flexible relative to lot sizes.

Can I sell before Maturity?

Yes, you can sell CPs before maturity. A major constraint of selling CPs, however, is illiquidity and size of the minimum tradeable volume. Also, the price at which you sell depends on the prevailing interest rate at the time.

Can I rollover my CP Investment?

Usually, the answer is no. This is because a CP issuance is not a periodic auction which provides certainty of another CP investment opportunity. This, however, does not rule out the possibility of a CP investment opportunity at maturity. Nevertheless, when a CP investment matures, it can be rolled over into another money market or fixed income investment such as T-Bills and Bonds.

What are the Other Benefits of Commercial Paper?

Interest earned is tax-exempt
Since certificates are issued for CP investments, they can be used as collateral or as evidence of investment for visa application.

How Can I Buy Commercial Papers?

To purchase Commercial Papers, you can contact your account officer or send an email to brokerageteam@afrinvest.com

Lagos: Adedoyin: +234 809 778 3100

Port Harcourt: Taiwo: +234 808 718 4771

Abuja: Bola: +234 909 504 1827

Quite enlightening. Another instrument but the capital requirements in too much on the high side.
Is it possible or an avenue for low end investors to participate in this instrument??

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:44am On Jul 02, 2019
Will Nigeria adopt the ECOWAS currency in 2020 and how will this affect tbills ? Will the adoption of eco currency exacerbate Forex risk?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 8:33am On Jul 02, 2019
PearlStreet:

In your mind you think you made sense, a typical example of dunning–kruger effect, "a cognitive bias in which people mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability".

Cary on brother !

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 10:06am On Jul 02, 2019
ositadima1:

In your mind you think you made sense, a typical example of dunning–kruger effect, "a cognitive bias in which people mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability".

Cary on brother !
oboy or girl u like fight ooo...we are here to make more money not fighting and abusing

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CompareDBest: 12:01pm On Jul 02, 2019
Akerewe:
Good morning great investors,
Pls what are d stop rates for secondary market in stanbic & gt bank today
This is one day late, but the rates for Stanbic yesterday were: 59 days @ 10.4%, 122 days @ 10.8%, and 241 days @ 11.5%. For more information, or to get recent secondary market rates for other commercial banks see http://comparedbest.com/ng/best-nigerian-treasury-bill-rates.html or http://comparedbest.com/ng/nigerian-commercial-banks.html .
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by multibalotel: 2:42pm On Jul 02, 2019
Hello guys ..bin an ardent follower of dis thread
..can i reinvest my interests on t.b via secondary markets @ stanbic ... prompt answer wud b duly appreciated...
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Teetom04(m): 3:20pm On Jul 02, 2019
Yeah sure.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 5:11pm On Jul 02, 2019
This is a bit of a distraction, but I reckon that the interest from t-bills can be further invested in cryptos.

I was reading an article from Cointelegraph that the currency has been profitable for 98.2% of the days since creation. According to the report, "That leaves 69 unprofitable days — which include virtually all days during December 2017, at the apex of bitcoin’s historic bull run to $20,000 — as well as almost all of January 2018."

Since we're all short to mid-term investors, this can give us a bit of perspective:

52 Week High / Low $13,796.49 USD / $3,191.30 USD ( over 400%)

90 Day High / Low $13,796.49 USD / $4,836.79 USD (over 280%)

30 Day High / Low $13,796.49 USD / $7,564.49 USD (over 80%)

-----
A logic one can adopt is to ride the waves not minding where the water takes you. If you do Dollar Cost Averaging and buy say $100 at every thousand dollars to Bitcoin rate, I think that makes a lot of sense in the long term.

E.g if you start when bitcoin is at $10k, you buy $100, and even if it drops to $9k (better for you), you still accumulate at fixed amounts of $100 at $8k, $7k etc until it gets to a plateau. When it starts to retrace, depending on your financial goals, you either wait for it to get to $11k and liquidate all the previous investments or if you're a long term investor, keep buying at those milestones, and liquidate at an all-time high (ATH) price which will be over $20k. The only thing is that no one knows when the ATH price will occur.

I wonder why I've been saving in Naira. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jayjay1512(m): 9:35pm On Jul 02, 2019
I also put in for primary market with stanbic ,let's see what the outcome will be
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by holyprime: 11:16pm On Jul 02, 2019
Mavin1:

Have been trying to email you, how can I reach you Sir?

holyprime300 @ yahoo com

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 6:44am On Jul 03, 2019
Bamz:
This is a bit of a distraction, but I reckon that the interest from t-bills can be further invested in cryptos.

I was reading an article from Cointelegraph that the currency has been profitable for 98.2% of the days since creation. According to the report, "That leaves 69 unprofitable days — which include virtually all days during December 2017, at the apex of bitcoin’s historic bull run to $20,000 — as well as almost all of January 2018."

Since we're all short to mid-term investors, this can give us a bit of perspective:

52 Week High / Low $13,796.49 USD / $3,191.30 USD ( over 400%)

90 Day High / Low $13,796.49 USD / $4,836.79 USD (over 280%)

30 Day High / Low $13,796.49 USD / $7,564.49 USD (over 80%)

-----
A logic one can adopt is to ride the waves not minding where the water takes you. If you do Dollar Cost Averaging and buy say $100 at every thousand dollars to Bitcoin rate, I think that makes a lot of sense in the long term.

E.g if you start when bitcoin is at $10k, you buy $100, and even if it drops to $9k (better for you), you still accumulate at fixed amounts of $100 at $8k, $7k etc until it gets to a plateau. When it starts to retrace, depending on your financial goals, you either wait for it to get to $11k and liquidate all the previous investments or if you're a long term investor, keep buying at those milestones, and liquidate at an all-time high (ATH) price which will be over $20k. The only thing is that no one knows when the ATH price will occur.

I wonder why I've been saving in Naira. embarassed

This is so true, my doubt is liquidity, how easily can i offload my coins. Yesterday morning, bitcoin dropped just below 10,000 usd and as at this morning it is around 11,490 usd, a 14% gain in a day. Imagine if I had entered the market at its low and exited today with a seed money of 2 million naira, I would have made 240 k profit.

Again, if I can assure my self of its liquidity I might start trading it. Even if it crashes, no problem, the worst case that can possibly happen is having my money tied down for a while, it always bounces back given time.

Cryptocurrency is here to stay, I even read some where it will eventually be worth 100,000 usd a coin in a couple of years as there are only a limited number of bitcoins ever.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jayjay1512(m): 7:18am On Jul 03, 2019
Please how safe and secure is this I invest app for TB ,it has a sterling bank account attached to it
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 7:29am On Jul 03, 2019
ositadima1:

This is so true, my doubt is liquidity, how easily can i offload my coins. Yesterday morning, bitcoin dropped just below 10,000 usd and as at this morning it is around 11,490 usd, a 14% gain in a day. Imagine if I had entered the market at its low and exited today with a seed money of 2 million naira, I would have made 240 k profit.

Again, if I can assure my self of its liquidity I might start trading it. Even if it crashes, no problem, the worst case that can possibly happen is having my money tied down for a while, it always bounces back given time.

Cryptocurrency is here to stay, I even read some where it will eventually be worth 100,000 usd a coin in a couple of years as there are only a limited number of bitcoins ever.

I got in at 10k. I was supposed to buy at 11k it but it exceeded 11k through the night.

It's a mentality thing really and like I said, it all depends on one's financial objectives. I wish I had more funds. If you're going to go in with a large sum, I believe you're planning to do intraday trading and you must get the technicals spot on. At the moment, if you're planning to hold for a month, it's a strong time to buy.

For liquidity, I buy/sell though or you could come to the currency thread (below) to ask for vouches or meet other sellers. cheesy

https://www.nairaland.com/3190496/currency-e-currency-market-deals
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Trone: 7:40am On Jul 03, 2019
jayjay1512:
Please how safe and secure is this I invest app for TB ,it has a sterling bank account attached to it

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DaBogu: 8:21am On Jul 03, 2019
Yes Sir
PearlStreet:

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ositadima1(m): 9:10am On Jul 03, 2019
All who make it to this thread already know the contents of this Ad, written in the 60's. I guess.

10 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 03, 2019
Crypt: someone said the coin is scarce that's why price is up and I ask, who mint the coins. Who regulates it. Who tells him to stop printing. A day will come like mmm when everybody will have crypt and there will be no buyer. What will happen? When can I buy with those coins in Alaba or ladipo. Can I buy cement with it.
Am a novice and will like us to clear some grey area here to educate novices like me. I reiterate, I don't like too much money. One thing at a time, crypto to the left, we are tbillers.

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bulaveur: 11:10am On Jul 03, 2019
Barrytone:
Crypt: someone said the coin is scarce that's why price is up and I ask, who mint the coins. Who regulates it. Who tells him to stop printing. A day will come like mmm when everybody will have crypt and there will be no buyer. What will happen? When can I buy with those coins in Alaba or ladipo. Can I buy cement with it.
Am a novice and will like us to clear some grey area here to educate novices like me. I reiterate, I don't like too much money. One thing at a time, crypto to the left, we are tbillers.

I think you should do a little research on cryptocurrencies. All your questions will be easily answered. FYI: cryptocurrencies are not printed, they are mined electronically. Yes, many stores and websites in the US, UK and other developed countries accept cryptocurrency as a means of payment. It is not regulated but subject to forces of demand and supply.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by justmi1: 12:00pm On Jul 03, 2019
Hi everyone, I am new here, I have been curious about T-bills. I want to learn more please. I have like 50k i want to invest.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 12:04pm On Jul 03, 2019
Barrytone:

Lol for you to be investing in TBills and making this kind of comments befuddles me. grin You sought information, and it got you here. I respect your opinion but I'm cringing right now. grin

I agree that we have different levels of risk appetite.

If I had a million dollars today, its ratio 70:30 between MMIs and cryptos, but thats me. Some may throw in equity investments, real estate etc. I'm team tbills too but then inflation rates are always at par with the interest but I understand that preservation of capital is most paramount.

Does it make sense to bash what you do not understand? No. Then seek knowledge and information.

Does it make sense to invest in what you do not understand? No, stick to what you know.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Itziykelly(m): 12:29pm On Jul 03, 2019
NIKEDEEDS:

Sure, you can...

First option: Download your the sterling bank invest app, fund your wallet and you are good to go.

OR

Second option: visit any sterling bank branch, tell the customer care officer that you want to do treasury bills and they will assist you.

I know that you can invest as low as 100k (for sterling bank).
Some banks (e.g Zenith bank) insist that you must have 1M to do treasury bills.
pls how much percent interest will 100k investment yiel?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by HeliosHay(m): 12:40pm On Jul 03, 2019
Bamz:

Lol for you to be investing in TBills and making this kind of comments befuddles me. grin You sought information, and it got you here. I respect your opinion but I'm cringing right now. grin

I agree that we have different levels of risk appetite.

If I had a million dollars today, its ratio 70:30 between MMIs and cryptos, but thats me. Some may throw in equity investments, real estate etc. I'm team tbills too but then inflation rates are always at par with the interest but I understand that preservation of capital is most paramount.

Does it make sense to bash what you do not understand? No. Then seek knowledge and information.

Does it make sense to invest in what you do not understand? No, stick to what you know.

There's no need to attack him. He said he's a novice and would like people to help him (and others) clear some grey areas.

@Barrytone, I'm not an expert on Bitcoin but from what I understand

1. There's a finite supply of Bitcoin (About 21 million)
2. The very nature of it means it can't be regulated

The price is currently very erratic because there's a limited supply and it's highly sensitive to supply and demand.

Bitcoin is currently less than 10% of my investment portfolio so I'm not that exposed to it..helps me stay emotionally neutral during these erratic swings.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jul 03, 2019
At the end, my worries just got complex, what stops the guy that generated the first coin from generating another one when he feels he needs more. Why dont we think he withdraws and introduce at will to influence price. And what is telling us that he doesn't have proxy that holds 50% to himself. On stores in atlanta accepting it, what concerns me, i have never bought from atlanta. I mention were i can access. Why should I trade in a currency that is not qualify as money(generally accepted). I once had a zimbabwe dollar while in school, that dollar died naturally in my wallet. The only thing it fetch me was confuse fellow students that i have dollar to exchange by monday as I don't patronize aboki. Age wouldn't let me try that now.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by HeliosHay(m): 1:51pm On Jul 03, 2019
Barrytone:
At the end, my worries just got complex, what stops the guy that generated the first coin from generating another one when he feels he needs more. Why dont we think he withdraws and introduce at will to influence price. And what is telling us that he doesn't have proxy that holds 50% to himself. On stores in atlanta accepting it, what concerns me, i have never bought from atlanta. I mention were i can access. Why should I trade in a currency that is not qualify as money(generally accepted). I once had a zimbabwe dollar while in school, that dollar died naturally in my wallet. The only thing it fetch me was confuse fellow students that i have dollar to exchange by monday as I don't patronize aboki. Age wouldn't let me try that now.

Generating one single bitcoin is not that easy...it takes a LOT of energy and computer processing power to mine for bitcoin.

Miners are essentially rewarded in bitcoin when they solve a transaction problem by getting their computer to "guess" the right answer to the problem. The first miner to guess the right solution wins. After this solution is validated it becomes part of the blockchain and the open ledger is updated to reflect this new addition to the chain. Everyone then moves over to the next transaction problem to solve.

The more miners are involved, the more difficult and expensive it is. It was deliberately structured this way to help control supply

The blockchain protocol validates transactions that are legitimate so the issue of hiding behind proxies won't apply.

With bitcoin, you don't have to worry about inflation as it's the first currency that can truly stake a valid claim as being scarce since there's a limited supply. Once we get to 21 million bitcoins in circulation that's it.

This is the reason why some people believe the price of 1 bitcoin will eventually exceed $1million. Once we max out supply, demand will carry more weight

The below video will help you understand more about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuoE5CXlIdY

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Bamz(m): 1:57pm On Jul 03, 2019
Itziykelly:

Depends on your investment tenor
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CompareDBest: 2:14pm On Jul 03, 2019
Itziykelly:

Depends on the tenor you choose. There are 8 currently ranging between 64 and 274 days. The rates also range from 10 to 12%per annum. More information and specifics can be gotten by downloading the app or visiting http://comparedbest.com/ng/sterling-bank-nigeria.html . Note that unlike treasury bills, you get your "interest" at maturity.

(1) (2) (3) ... (814) (815) (816) (817) (818) (819) (820) ... (2227) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.