Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:37 AM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (862) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4420098 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (859) (860) (861) (862) (863) (864) (865) ... (2226) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by fickyola(m): 3:53pm On Aug 29, 2019
zamirikpo:

I tot rates got to 13% last week......why is it going down. Anyways let me wait to see what the secondary market would offer.

It was actually 12% last week, it was secondary market that moved to 13% + last week
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by phunix: 4:44pm On Aug 29, 2019
First Bank is 11.8% for 364day tenor according my calculation. First bank's rate is kind of below Par compared to other banks. my thought anyway.

Last two week's bid failed and I learnt there was a boom that week - still sucking!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by cooldudeng(m): 4:51pm On Aug 29, 2019
feelamong:

Primary market refers to the Bi Monthly Auction by CBN/DMO. Here you submit your bids thru your banks for the amount, tenor and rate you intend to deal on..

Secondary markets refer to the buying and selling of the already purchased Tbills amongst the investors. Bank A can decide to sell down on the Tbills it purchased and as such will put it for sale thereafter. Unlike in stock markets where we have the stocks exchange for secondary transactions of stocks, the Tbills secondary market is basically an OTC where the major players (banks, Asset managers, INvestment Houses, PFAs all interact amongst themselves.. we the retail players just jump on the back of our banks to get into the deal and buy from them or sell to them

Also, the tenor for the Primary market is fixed at 91 day, 182 days and 364 days. Hence, it’s only in the secondary market that you can get any tenor expect 364 days (since what is being sold in the Secondary is what was bought from the primary)

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Hallenjay: 5:37pm On Aug 29, 2019
Demdem:
Ibtc secondary rates as at now......

43days......12.40%
351days....12.40%
204days....12.50%
wats d difference btw buying in secondary and primary market bcs it seems sec market interest r higher and does it means its bwtter dan primary market
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by opydan: 6:30pm On Aug 29, 2019
I put in for primary market through GTB and l have not been debited. Hope they carried out my instruction. Or is it not too late to be debited. Any other person in my shoes?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CompareDBest: 7:28pm On Aug 29, 2019
zamirikpo:

I tot rates got to 13% last week......why is it going down. Anyways let me wait to see what the secondary market would offer.
Stanbic had at least up to 13.95% last week. The best secondary market rates we have seen today is either

13.4% for 56 days from Sterling/I-Invest app https://comparedbest.com/ng/sterling-bank-nigeria.html or
12.4% for 350 days from Stanbic https://comparedbest.com/ng/stanbic-ibtc-bank-nigeria.html

So, primary market wins today, especially considering True Yield when comparing to I-Invest app maturity rates.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by carbon1224(m): 7:54pm On Aug 29, 2019
No deduction yet on Gtb
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by talk2dace(m): 8:19pm On Aug 29, 2019
My thinking Bro....

It is really absurd. Maybe we're still soaked in this "Giant of Africa" thing...

ADint:
Why is the FG issuing risk-free Tbills at 15-16% Investors would still fall over themselves to buy at 8-10%!!! If banks can get 16% for risk-free, sleep-very-soundly-at-night Tbills why would they bother lending to any sector of the economy? They are looking at a juicy spread of over 10% without having to make any effort whatsoever!

Another very important question; How does the FG fund the huge interest payments? Is it affordable and sustainable? Hell no! For OMO yes the fg needs to issue local tbills but definitely not at those ridiculous rates! For other borrowings the govt needs to issue dollar dominated bonds at around 5% or so which would still be very attractive to foreign investors considering their virtual risk-free nature. China currently has over $1 trillion dollars invested in US tbills at less than 3% returns!

This is our usual govt's upside down way of thinking and doing things which in the end hurts our economy, enriches a few including foreigners, but the bulk of Nigerians pay the price!

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by carbon1224(m): 9:05pm On Aug 29, 2019
Any one with today’s primary rates and if there is any deduction from GTBank and others
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Omonigeriarere: 9:15pm On Aug 29, 2019
WisemasterBizWd:
Hi everyone, I just downloaded an app call I-invest. I want to be sure if this app is real to invest in TB. Which bank own it. How reliable it is.

Reliable! I just terminated a transaction on the app and my account has been credited instantly.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by proeast(m): 9:29pm On Aug 29, 2019
CompareDBest:
Stanbic IBTC, today: 13.7% (128 days), 13.65% (247 days), and 13.95% (191 days). Sorry for the delay.
Do you have info on other banks like gtbank or zenith??
Again, does it mean that stanbic IBTC does not offer 91 days tenor or anyone close to it?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by chigo4u: 9:48pm On Aug 29, 2019
Zenith bank rate for 91 days tenor = 9.5
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Saucekide25(m): 1:25am On Aug 30, 2019
Hello everyone... Please can anyone put me through treasury bills and the risks involved? I'm a newbie and would love to learn. Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 3:06am On Aug 30, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Just2endowed2(m): 6:10am On Aug 30, 2019
proeast:

Again, does it mean that stanbic IBTC does not offer 91 days tenor or anyone close to it?

OP is quoting secondary market rate. In secondary market rate, tenor differs
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by phunix: 7:41am On Aug 30, 2019
To many rates and this is confusing. Primary and secondary markets rates should be indicated explicitly and the corresponding banks be mentioned. My two kobo.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by phunix: 7:47am On Aug 30, 2019
chigo4u:
Zenith bank rate for 91 days tenor = 9.5

Do you have idea of other tenors (primary mart)?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by phunix: 7:49am On Aug 30, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:04am On Aug 30, 2019
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by temi4fash(m): 9:10am On Aug 30, 2019
Omonigeriarere:

Reliable! I just terminated a transaction on the app and my account has been credited instantly.

Once you withdraw you get your payment in 15 mins
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Horlartunes: 11:33am On Aug 30, 2019
GTB 364 days goes for 12%
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 30, 2019
Please how much is UBA t-bills for 91days?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by slimjosh43: 6:11pm On Aug 30, 2019
How much is Sterling bank rate

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by carbon1224(m): 6:26pm On Aug 30, 2019
Secondary market confirmed via gtb
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Omonigeriarere: 8:05pm On Aug 30, 2019
temi4fash:

Once you withdraw you get your payment in 15 mins

Mine was even lesser than 5 minutes.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by WisemasterBizWd: 8:16pm On Aug 30, 2019
Omonigeriarere:

Mine was even lesser than 5 minutes.

Thanks sir. Which bank own this app
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Omonigeriarere: 8:26pm On Aug 30, 2019
WisemasterBizWd:

Thanks sir. Which bank own this app

I got the intro on Sterling Bank website.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by iphyjones(f): 10:32pm On Aug 30, 2019
please can someone put me try on treasury bill.. n is I invest from sterling bank genuine

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Horlartunes: 10:58pm On Aug 30, 2019
carbon1224:
Secondary market confirmed via gtb

Rate Pls
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by CompareDBest: 12:27am On Aug 31, 2019
proeast:

Yes, secondary market rates for other Nigerian commercial banks can be found on https://comparedbest.com/ng/best-nigerian-treasury-bill-rates.html or https://comparedbest.com/ng/nigerian-commercial-banks.html

Tenors for Stanbic tbills fluctuate daily, if not hourly. On that day, they were not advertising any close to 91days. But they might on Monday; it’s not predictable.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by C505: 4:23am On Aug 31, 2019
Someone please confirm if I can get my tbills money upon maturity without a certificate.

The only proof I have is the detailed mail they sent to me when I subscribed. I don't know if it varies from bank to bank but the bank in question is stanbic.

If it happens that I need the certificate, can I still obtain them considering one is soon to mature and the other, January.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by C505: 6:01am On Aug 31, 2019
One more thing......

Does anyone here knows what's like to liquidate an ongoing life assurance policy? How much percentage charge are they likely to chunk off?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (859) (860) (861) (862) (863) (864) (865) ... (2226) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.