Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,854 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:13 AM

Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? (13032 Views)

Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Obinoscopy(m): 9:26am On Feb 26, 2012
Hi Guys,

I discovered that many hate or fear the subject called maths. This hatred or fear begins when one is in primary school and continues till when he/she graduates from the university.

Maths has always being my favorite because it applies logic and it can be used to solve our daily problems. Another thing I love about maths is that you don't need to cram anything. Even the formulae don't need to be crammed (once you can derive them).

Thus I find it hard to understand why people hate maths. Is it because its 'difficult?' Is maths more difficult than English? I think not, a fellow nairalander has already given a proof of it: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-879258.0.html . Or is maths more difficult than economics or biology? No way.

Guys I need to know why people hate maths cos its that hatred or fear that is responsible for the high failure rate.

Comment please
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Maurice45(m): 8:36am On Feb 27, 2012
Their hatred for maths is attributed to their fear for it, they can't jst calm down to understand mathematics
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by reloboy(m): 9:53am On Feb 27, 2012
Most people are
fairly lazy, and you
can't be lazy and be good at math(unless you are
super intelligent)
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by pato405(m): 9:56am On Feb 27, 2012
maths was my best in school. it just demands patience to understand which i believe most people don't have. they often want to read it straight with the speed they read novels. you'll only get disappointed if you study it with such speed. it demands a logical approach. be imaginative and follow the principles laid down & you'll find out it's the easiest of all courses.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by member67023: 10:07am On Feb 27, 2012
Some teachers are too impatient(or wicked) to breakdown the details of the maths for the understanding of the students.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by truetalk01(m): 10:12am On Feb 27, 2012
dats my best subject those days. it depend on ur maths teacher.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by pendo89(f): 10:20am On Feb 27, 2012
yeah depends on the teacher. angry
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by pato405(m): 10:22am On Feb 27, 2012
nakedwire:

Some teachers are too impatient(or wicked) to breakdown the details of the maths for the understanding of the students.

it's so easy you don't even need a teacher. i'm not boasting but believe me when i say i learnt it without a teacher. i attended a public school with very lazy teachers. our maths teacher hardly visits the classroom. he taught less than 15 times between ss1-ss3. I'm not exaggerating.  all you need as a secondary school student is your New General maths by kalejaiye or get Harwood Clarke. those texts come with so many examples and give you practical exercises with answers behind. so you find teaching yourself very easy. that was my strategy and i enjoyed it. I made an 'A'. I eventually didn't go into Engineering tho. I went into Health. It's been over 20yrs! but till date I can still solve those funny equations. quadratic graphs, statistics, Logs were my best. then geometry, inequalities, e.t.c. OH gosh! nostalgia.

Unfortunately, students these days want to ping away their time with BB. if only they can devote half that time to stufying it. they'll grasp it faast. it damn easy. very easy. just devotion. the only problem with maths is that it's a jealous subject. it wants you to devote time to it daily. themore attention you give it, the more it becomes part of you and you gain mastery of the subject. if you leave it for a week and come back, it seems like you've left it for a year.  grin grin grin. somtimes volatile. so you need constant exercises keeps it going. but once you've gained mastery of it, it stays on.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by cindylee: 10:22am On Feb 27, 2012
I HATE MATHS angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Nobody: 10:22am On Feb 27, 2012
Most times, the profs dont teach it well.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Bright2(m): 10:25am On Feb 27, 2012
The foundation of mathematics from primary school matters alot even in english language particulerly spelling,once you miss the fundamentals during the tender age,there the failure begins.I think many people fall in this category.Some people also pick up from secondary school at least during the JSS level but i see that as last chance,once it crosses this level      undecided even Desmond Tutu of south Africa will find it difficult.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by gulfer: 10:32am On Feb 27, 2012
I hated Maths; no hated the teachers, they were so uninteresting and that made the subject so. This affected my university (structures) as i found all calculations uninteresting and boring.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by ektbear: 10:32am On Feb 27, 2012
I love math personally.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by TonySpike: 10:35am On Feb 27, 2012
Mathematics is one of the easiest subjects to pass once you understand the flow and patterns of the logic behind it. Personally, during my mathematics and University days, I found it easier to pass Mathematics with distinctions. The only challenge i had was when i dropped Further Mathematics in SS 1 because it was too cumbersome and strange to me. I eventually studied it and sat for it on my own at GCE level recording a C4 without the aid of a tutor/teacher !

The key is this: understand the patterns and flows, you understand Mathematics Q.E.D.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Frankiegul: 10:47am On Feb 27, 2012
The teachers don't teach it well. And some teachers in other to cover their inadequacies bully the student. The students will hate both the subject and the teacher.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Dyt(f): 10:57am On Feb 27, 2012
in as much as i hated it
i made sure i get an A cos i dont wanna write again
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Abujabir24: 11:05am On Feb 27, 2012
Whats the big deal in maths? a very interesting subject or course but for hard working students.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by pato405(m): 11:07am On Feb 27, 2012
Tony Spike:

Mathematics is one of the easiest subjects to pass once you understand the flow and patterns of the logic behind it. Personally, during my mathematics and University days, I found it easier to pass Mathematics with distinctions. The only challenge i had was when i dropped Further Mathematics in SS 1 because it was too cumbersome and strange to me. I eventually studied it and sat for it on my own at GCE level recording a C4 without the aid of a tutor/teacher !

The key is this: understand the patterns and flows, you understand Mathematics Q.E.D.

GBAM!

very easy if you take your time - sweeter when you learn on your own. no teacher swag. no issues of coming late to classes, no floggin when you fail any exercise, no rushing you , do everything at your own pace and time. there's NO substitute for self study! it's d best!

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by itaimaobong: 11:08am On Feb 27, 2012
because of the fear attributed to it
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by iceberg54: 11:09am On Feb 27, 2012
I love maths with passion. If maths were a woman, i go marry am!!
I love the fact that u dont need to cram anything unlike other subjects!
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Nobody: 11:20am On Feb 27, 2012
@OP,

I beg no induce Monday morning blues, nah Jehovah aka Allah I take beg you.

Where does one even begin?

Should it be with the irrational fear of the subject harboured by some children as a result of negative views passed down by older siblings and/or parents?

Do we start with inefficient teaching methodologies which make the subject pedagogically unsound to many?

Do we zero-in on unmotivated and underpaid teachers, some of whom should not have been accepted into the profession in the first instance, before widening the scope to look  at more general concerns relating to an ill-fitting curriculum?

I dey come .  .  .
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by eldersis: 11:30am On Feb 27, 2012
coolIt depends on the teacher and how he/she teaches the child.
There are very good teachers that will make you take mathematics as your best subject.
And the not too good teachers will make you hate it for life.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by oladayo042: 11:35am On Feb 27, 2012
Mathematics: my secondary school most dreaded subject but my undergraduate best subject. I think it may have to do with age anyway. I felt my brain could not comprehend some things while in secondary school but after gaining admission, I found those things very simple that I kept asking myself why don't I understand them during my secondary school days?

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Nobody: 11:44am On Feb 27, 2012
I hate Maths and I'll do anything to avoid it, but chai it keeps coming my way.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Parisgoodman(m): 11:50am On Feb 27, 2012
Math ke! what i really hate about it is the "find X,Y or Z" has anyone come across that in his/her field of work? moreover, the lecturers made it so hard to understand, i'm sure its not the same way in other countries.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Acelifted: 11:56am On Feb 27, 2012
I think it has to do with the way its been taught in our schools. Mathematics teachers are naturally wicked, or so it seems. it takes a lot of gentleness and persuasion to teach that subject.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by presfedrep: 12:06pm On Feb 27, 2012
@op
why student fail math and eventually fear or hate the subject or course, is that they are suffering from a neurological condition call DYSCALCULI.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Feb 27, 2012
Find X, find Y, simplify, almighty formular. Hw many engineers sef dey use all these things for there work, abi na doctor go dey find X on top patient abi na banker go dey simplify for bank, I beg math na waste of time jere.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Sagamite(m): 12:17pm On Feb 27, 2012
- Lack of innate ability. (Most Lawyers are shyt poor in maths)

- Lack of mathematical nurture. (Poor teaching by teachers leading to students convinced they lack the ability, poor push by parents that are scared of maths themselves).

You no fit be my Papa pikin and say "I no like Maths", "I give up on Maths", you will be dead. D-U-N done!

I hard maths for breakfast, lunch and dinner when I was growing up. When I came to Ilu Londoni, I was so confident that I hardly showed up for my Maths lectures because I knew what was being taught or I could read the textbook and grasp it easily. Till this day, I can't think of any Maths or Physics topic I feel I can't understand.

Now give me a subject like Organisational Behaviour to do and see me shaking like Pepeye (a Duck). grin
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by tboy1(m): 12:19pm On Feb 27, 2012
I used to hate maths from jss1 till ss3, it was bad i looked for a course which had no maths in it so i started a degree in law, after my first year i decided law was not my thing so i went back to what i always enjoyed as a kid, computers. Had to change school because i wanted to study computing electronics and since i had no maths background i had to do a diploma in electrical electronics engineering and once i passed that i started the computing and electronics degree. From someone who totally hated maths to someone solving engineering & advanced maths. I found out it was all in the mind to hate maths, once you know the formulae and you apply it you will get the solution
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Sagamite(m): 12:28pm On Feb 27, 2012
salakobaba:

Find X, find Y, simplify, almighty formular. Hw many engineers sef dey use all these things for there work, abi na doctor go dey find X on top patient abi na banker go dey simplify for bank, I beg math na waste of time jere.

shocked shocked shocked

You are not serious!
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Feb 27, 2012
I love Math coz it is the only subject that you could tell without a second guess whether you got it right or wrong. It appears to be the only subject you can teach yourself without much stress.

But at my age now, I tend not to like it anymore because after several years of graduation I am yet to apply all the crazy stuffs I did in Metric Space Topology, ODE, Complex Analysis, Real Analysis etc. Even the most basic like quadratic and simultaneous equation I am yet to apply them in real life. I guess it is time education is geared towards stuffs that are applicable in everyday life rather than chasing stuffs that only exist in the realm of mathematics and abstract world.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos State University (LASU) 2015/16 Admission Thread / Ekiti Returns Christ’s School To Anglican Church (Photos) / Eksu Medical Students Protests On Twitter (screenshots Included)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.