Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,719 members, 7,802,167 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:20 AM

Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? (13033 Views)

Kaduna University Suspends John Danfulani, Lecturer Over Facebook ‘hate Speech’ / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Why Do People Generally Hate Maths? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by pssword: 1:00pm On Feb 27, 2012
I think it depends on how your mind is wired. Some have a talent for it others have to suffer through it. Just like people have a talent for music (writing, composing etc, ) and others struggle with it. Others have talent for writing amazing pros others can't write to save their lives, It depends on the blessing you get from above most times,
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Koolking(m): 1:08pm On Feb 27, 2012
I hate numbers like poo. I hate counting money. To hell with maths
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Sagamite(m): 1:16pm On Feb 27, 2012
woodcook:

I love Math coz it is the only subject that you could tell without a second guess whether you got it right or wrong. It appears to be the only subject you can teach yourself without much stress.

But at my age now, I tend not to like it anymore because after several years of graduation I am yet to apply all the crazy stuffs I did in Metric Space Topology, ODE, Complex Analysis, Real Analysis etc. Even the most basic like quadratic and simultaneous equation I am yet to apply them in real life. I guess it is time education is geared towards stuffs that are applicable in everyday life rather than chasing stuffs that only exist in the realm of mathematics and abstract world.

Lets put it this way:

Education is suppose to prepare you to engage in a field which suits you. It is done in such a way as to test you in a broad range of subparts of the field so you can choose which one you want to utilise in future. Furthermore, there is a convergence of aspects of academic fields in the real world nowadays. E.g.

Statistics and social sciences.

Mechanics and Medicine.

Computer Science and Philosophy.

Economics and Behavioural Science.

Basically, universities can not only teach a narrow area otherwise we will have a proliferation of institutions and courses which would be financially unsustainable for govenrments and pragmatically inefficient for the real world. Moreover, students will not be highly tested, challenged or experience the rare case of academic serendipity.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by koolkamzzy(m): 1:16pm On Feb 27, 2012
Dyt:

in as much as i hated it
i made sure i get an A cos i dont wanna write again
Aunty you can lie o,  Do you remember how many times you have to re-write your WAEC exam because of Maths grin grin grin grin grin

BTW, just remembered that i had to pack my desk and run from science Dept to Commercial Dept due to the fear Mthematics, Physics and Further Maths,   grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by yme1(f): 1:22pm On Feb 27, 2012
I hate maths because the motivation to engage in it is not there
While those who r good at it take Mins to solve/understand a particular question, it takes me hours to work it out.
But against all odds I always push myself to the limit to make sure I pass it.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by desthan(m): 1:48pm On Feb 27, 2012
pato405:

it's so easy you don't even need a teacher. i'm not boasting but believe me when i say i learnt it without a teacher. i attended a public school with very lazy teachers. our maths teacher hardly visits the classroom. he taught less than 15 times between ss1-ss3. I'm not exaggerating.  all you need as a secondary school student is your New General maths by kalejaiye or get Harwood Clarke. those texts come with so many examples and give you practical exercises with answers behind. so you find teaching yourself very easy. that was my strategy and i enjoyed it. I made an 'A'. I eventually didn't go into Engineering tho. I went into Health. It's been over 20yrs! but till date I can still solve those funny equations. quadratic graphs, statistics, Logs were my best. then geometry, inequalities, e.t.c. OH gosh! nostalgia.

Unfortunately, students these days want to ping away their time with BB. if only they can devote half that time to stufying it. they'll grasp it faast. it damn easy. very easy. just devotion. the only problem with maths is that it's a jealous subject. it wants you to devote time to it daily. themore attention you give it, the more it becomes part of you and you gain mastery of the subject. if you leave it for a week and come back, it seems like you've left it for a year.  grin grin grin. somtimes volatile. so you need constant exercises keeps it going. but once you've gained mastery of it, it stays on.

Are you omitting Larcombe Upper Standard. My favorite were Pythagoras theorem, Algorithms, Bearings, Algebra etc. . . . name it all of them still on my finger tips till date. You can't be a computer programmer without Algorithms. Infact Maths is the easiest subject in this worlds. Everything on the face of this earth revolves round maths, how hard is that?? Maths, Add Maths, Physics, Chemistry, all my groupies . . . lol
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by manny4life(m): 1:58pm On Feb 27, 2012
People hate it because there's no solid ground foundation, so what do you expect? If you start from elementary school and you're thought math and science, you go up to middle school, you're more exposed to it in a likeable, attributable manner, when you're in high school, you will grasp pretty much all you need to know. By the time you're in college, you won't be scared of taking math from freshman year. I think the approach used in Nigeria is a lil harsher I guess unlike here where math is incorporated with basic reality and interaction of daily activities.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by jamace(m): 2:19pm On Feb 27, 2012
My believe is that Maths at primary and secondary school levels are applicable/usable in everyday lives, but advance maths like Topology, Abstract Algebra, ODE, Complex Analysis, Real Analysis etc, are jargons meant for academic entertainment. grin grin
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by pato405(m): 2:23pm On Feb 27, 2012
desthan:

Are you omitting Larcombe Upper Standard. My favorite were Pythagoras theorem, Algorithms, Bearings, Algebra etc. . . . name it all of them still on my finger tips till date. You can't be a computer programmer without Algorithms. Infact Maths is the easiest subject in this worlds. Everything on the face of this earth revolves round maths, how hard is that?? Maths, Add Maths, Physics, Chemistry, all my groupies . . . lol

Are you also forgetting Godman & Talpert? I never really liked Larcombe. it had very few examples an inundate you with exercises far tougher than the examples. grin grin grin again, it jumps some steps. but NGM was slow & steady, line by line, precept by precept. in the end, you'll grasp evrything hook, line and sinker. you need no teacher. word problems was like a quizzical fun thing, then solid n plane shapes e.t.c!
Godman was great n it enhanced my physics. in short, maths is th language of sciences.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by jaybee3(m): 2:27pm On Feb 27, 2012
Maths being the easiest concept to grab is also possibly the most difficult subject to teach.
It's either you get it or you simply don't
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by eminemkayc: 2:39pm On Feb 27, 2012
[size=15pt]I dont just love MATH!! I ALMOST worship MATHS
I'M IN luv WITH ADVANCED ANALYSIS, DIFFERENTIAL ALGEBRA, ABSTRACT ALGEBRA, COMPLEX ANALYSIS, SET THEORY, CONVERGENT THEORY, FLUID MECHANICS, MATRIX SPACE TOPOLOGY, CALCULUS, NUMERICAL METHODS, PLANAR TRANSFORMATIONS, MEMBRANE THEORIES IN PLATES AND SHELLS ETC. . . I apply ALL these in my research and proofs of HUMAN EXISTENCE
[/size]. . . grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by coolrose(m): 3:09pm On Feb 27, 2012
I used to hate Maths too until i failed it in my first attempt in WAEC,I had P8 and I wanted to study engineering. I knew i had no choice than to pass it and I went into it headon and demystified it. I now found out that what I had was just unrealistic fear. I did not only passed it,I taught people maths and also studied engineering in higher institution.
The origin of phobia for maths is the foundation created by our elementary teachers,mine started from primary 1 when my class teacher used to be very harsh and impatient in impacting the knowledge.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by coolrose(m): 3:09pm On Feb 27, 2012
I used to hate Maths too until i failed it in my first attempt in WAEC,I had P8 and I wanted to study engineering. I knew i had no choice than to pass it and I went into it headon and demystified it. I now found out that what I had was just unrealistic fear. I did not only passed it,I taught people maths and also studied engineering in higher institution.
The origin of phobia for maths is the foundation created by our elementary teachers,mine started from primary 1 when my class teacher used to be very harsh and impatient in impacting the knowledge.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by abouzaid: 4:23pm On Feb 27, 2012
@sagamite, Mai gida na, sannu, yaya aiki? You must be a lecturer cos i don't see why somebody will support the teaching of subjects that have no bearing with real like application. We went to school to learn how to solve problems for ppl for them to pay us, if i want to expand my knowledge, i can easily buy textbooks to read it on my own. Lecturers wasting my time in school over maths that neither them nor me will ever apply is a great sin to humanity, i speak from my experience sir
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by TonySpike: 5:28pm On Feb 27, 2012
I majored in Electronics Engineering and so, I did lots of abstract mathematics particularly related to Higher order Differential Equations. Recently, I was carrying out a research work where i had to make use of Spherical Bessel functions to solve a notorious and complex real-life communication engineering problem. It was at that period I knew that all mathematical jargons had real-life applications. I am saying this to let some of you peeps know, especially to those that believe that Mathematics is a waste of time, that it is indeed applicable. The real problem is that Nigeria isn't a problem-solving nation, our researching resume in Nigeria is at the lowest ebb. Mathematics is the bedrock of any technologically-oriented nation, therefore, Nigeria still has a long way to go.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by moHot(f): 5:46pm On Feb 27, 2012
Find X, find Y, simplify, almighty formular. Hw many engineers sef dey use all these things for there work, abi na doctor go dey find X on top patient abi na banker go dey simplify for bank, I beg math na waste of time jere.

grin grin grin grin

jamace:

My believe is that Maths at primary and secondary school levels are applicable/usable in everyday lives, but advance maths like Topology, Abstract Algebra, ODE, Complex Analysis, Real Analysis etc, are jargons meant for academic entertainment. grin grin

FUNNY BUT TRUE grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by moHot(f): 5:53pm On Feb 27, 2012
@TOPIC
i hate maths because i hate uncle Vitalis that though me maths and i hate him because he hated the fact that i look more beautiful than his daughter tongue grin grin

i have not finished hating maths they now brought another one called FURTHER MATHS.they want me to die of hating??

M---Mental
A---Attack
T---To
H---Handsome (and Beautiful)
S---Students

grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by moHot(f): 5:55pm On Feb 27, 2012
moHot:

@TOPIC
i hate maths because i hate uncle Vitalis that taught me maths and i hate him because he hated the fact that i look more beautiful than his daughter tongue grin grin

i have not finished hating maths they now brought another one called FURTHER MATHS.they want me to die of hating??

M---Mental
A---Attack
T---To
H---Handsome (and Beautiful)
S---Students

grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by mykejones(m): 6:36pm On Feb 27, 2012
I don't hate maths; i once loved it.
I had an 'A' in Waec and a 'C' in neco.
Went 2 ABU/SBRS for my remidial, had 'B' in both semesters i offered it.That's where my fairytale ended.
When i finally got adm in2 ABU, i wrote a certain MATH105 six good times. From my first year down 2 my final year. I actually spilled majorly cus of it.
I finally passed it in the 3rd semster of my fifth year wit an E.
No,i don't hate maths,i luv it. Mstchew!!!
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by ektbear: 7:18pm On Feb 27, 2012
jamace:

I don't think that this is accurate. ODEs come up in physical modeling. PDEs in stochastic calculus (used in finance), in physics, engineering.

Abstract algebra. . .  well, the Chinese Remainder Theorem, Fermat's little theorem comes up in the RSA algorithm (used pretty much any time you go to a https:// website), buy something online with your credit card, etc.

Real analysis is pretty much generalized and more rigorous calculus, so of course is used all the time to justify that things work.

Complex analysis. . . well, the Fourier Transform is the foundation of most of digital signal processing techniques. So obviously is very important. .  .(anytime you listen to something on youtube, view a JPEG image online, etc.)

Topology, I am less familiar with its real-world use, but I am sure that it is also has some practical applications.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by moHot(f): 7:51pm On Feb 27, 2012
ekt_bear:

I don't think that this is accurate. ODEs come up in physical modeling. PDEs in stochastic calculus (used in finance), in physics, engineering.

Abstract algebra. . .  well, the Chinese Remainder Theorem, Fermat's little theorem comes up in the RSA algorithm (used pretty much any time you go to a https:// website), buy something online with your credit card, etc.

Real analysis is pretty much generalized and more rigorous calculus, so of course is used all the time to justify that things work.

Complex analysis. . . well, the Fourier Transform is the foundation of most of digital signal processing techniques. So obviously is very important. .  .(anytime you listen to something on youtube, view a JPEG image online, etc.)

Topology, I am less familiar with its real-world use, but I am sure that it is also has some practical applications.

You know this is the reason why i hate maths!! grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Lagishan: 10:27pm On Feb 27, 2012
X,Y, Z or any other alphabet asigned are variables that could represent any real life situations.They are applicable.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by gaddafe(m): 10:30pm On Feb 27, 2012
The reason people hate maths is because they don't know it, simple! You cannot love what u don't understand. In order to like maths, you need to either have a good maths teacher (not the one that flog when u don't understand) or someone that can always put you through when you are confused.

One thing that made me find maths interesting is being able to finally solve the sums.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Dhelake: 10:34pm On Feb 27, 2012
one of the causes is d ova hype , pple get to ova rate dis subject , anoda is laziness , d one i laff at is 'i dnt knw maths' nd 'i dnt tink i can knw it' syndrome , 4 example , someone asked me to help him out in maths , hez a utme candidate buh an art student telling me he doesnt knw anytin in maths , wat a life he must av been livin
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by arrived(m): 10:49pm On Feb 27, 2012
The OP remind me of my maths teacher in secondary (Mr Adojutelegan), very foolish & impatient creature. He made me to hate d subject with a passion.
I remembered me & my friends jumping out of the window when it was maths period.
I remembered Mr Adojutelegan teaching us maths as if he was performing magic.
I remembered how i used to giraffe during maths exam.
Oh maths!
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by chelseabmw(m): 11:10pm On Feb 27, 2012
i hate mathematics

till now i don't understand it

why will my teacher tell me that 1 + 1 =2

then my pastor will tell me that 1 + 1 = 1

Please can someone help?
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Obinoscopy(m): 12:47am On Feb 28, 2012
No you got it all wrong, 1 + 1 = 11 grin
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by IYANGBALI: 2:01am On Feb 28, 2012
1+1=11
2+2=22
3+3=33
4+4=44
5+5=55

I LOVE MATHEMATICS grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Nobody: 4:42am On Feb 28, 2012
People are afraid of complicated things and Maths seem to be among those.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by rrhostomy(m): 7:44am On Feb 28, 2012
Sincerely, maths na headache wey Oyinbo man carry put for our head. Lookin for x y z dats not even lost. Dats y i love LAW.
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Brodafred(m): 1:10pm On Feb 28, 2012
We might say that people hate or have forbia for maths , but there are fundamental thing we need to look at and that is Fundation & contineuity ,
Re: Why Do People Hate/fear Mathematics? by Brodafred(m): 1:29pm On Feb 28, 2012
We might say that people hate or have forbia for maths , but there are fundamental thing we need to look at and that is Fundation & contineuity , without proper foundation how do you expect people to do well, and probably a consistent follow up you don't expect anything better either, so before ariving at the point of fear and or hate, these two things to be consindewred seriously and pondered upon .Without a very good forundation the least you will expect is what we are seeing today from the student , and for the fact that maths runs across every facet of our daily endeavour, we have to make sure that we that the subject is given its proper place in our school curriculum, and also make sure that good structures are in plce for the students to do well. Training of teachers should be givesn a priority, and supporting it with good programes.
Then as students are graduating from one class to another, cear must taken to make sure that the structure is contued on till the end, so that interest will be ifused uopon the system of the students. People give up on thigs that interest them when hands are changed and quality change,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos State University (LASU) 2015/16 Admission Thread / Ekiti Returns Christ’s School To Anglican Church (Photos) / Eksu Medical Students Protests On Twitter (screenshots Included)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.