Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,642 members, 7,801,870 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:56 AM

Why Did Jesus Convert Water To Wine? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Jesus Convert Water To Wine? (2014 Views)

Ogun Pastor Turns Bottled-Water To Wine Inside Church (Video) / 136 Christians Convert To Islam In Kwara State / Why Do Some Muslim Clerics Dye Their Beards To Wine Colour?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Jesus Convert Water To Wine? by Iolo(m): 1:15pm On Feb 28, 2012
As most people seem to believe that drunkenness is a sin, then why did Jesus convert water to wine?
Re: Why Did Jesus Convert Water To Wine? by mkmyers45(m): 1:29pm On Feb 28, 2012
But where in the Bible is wine consumption a sin? Drunkenness is different from taking wine. Does eating food necessarily mean you are a glutton?

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Convert Water To Wine? by jmoore(m): 1:57pm On Feb 28, 2012
see ignorance. Please go and check the meaning of drunkness before coming here to glorify your intoxication.
Re: Why Did Jesus Convert Water To Wine? by Iolo(m): 2:08pm On Feb 28, 2012
@jmoore,

Pls you could do well by offering your own objective comments next time.

@mkm,

I have several reasons for asking this question but foremost on my mind is for us to have an objective discussion. I personally don't drink so have little to gain from being pro or against the discussion.

I just want to understand the fact that in John 2:10 (NKJV) the governor of the wedding confirmed the superiority of the wine Jesus had just converted and asked why it hadn't being brought out first before men were "well drunk".

My opinion is that if Jesus knew that wine could lead to intoxication and drunkenness why did.he do it? Does this mean it isn't a Sin? He knew it would lead to drunkenness as the governor confirmed through he's statement that it was common practice for men to get drunk @ weddings. I suspect that men were already drunk @ the wedding (possibly including the governor himself) before the quality wine of Jesus was served.

Please think deeply and objectively before commenting. You have nothing to benefit from posting bigoted messages here besides wasting precious time.

I'm a Christian and we should all seek to learn from one another intellectually.
Re: Why Did Jesus Convert Water To Wine? by mkmyers45(m): 2:14pm On Feb 28, 2012
Iolo:

@jmoore,

Pls you could do well by offering your own objective comments next time.

@mkm,

I have several reasons for asking this question but foremost on my mind is for us to have an objective discussion. I personally don't drink so have little to gain from being pro or against the discussion.

I just want to understand the fact that in John 2:10 (NKJV) the governor of the wedding confirmed the superiority of the wine Jesus had just converted and asked why it hadn't being brought out first before men were "well drunk".

My opinion is that if Jesus knew that wine could lead to intoxication and drunkenness why did.he do it? Does this mean it isn't a Sin? He knew it would lead to drunkenness as the governor confirmed through he's statement that it was common practice for men to get drunk @ weddings. I suspect that men were already drunk @ the wedding (possibly including the governor himself) before the quality wine of Jesus was served.

Please think deeply and objectively before commenting. You have nothing to benefit from posting bigoted messages here besides wasting precious time.

I'm a Christian and we should all seek to learn from one another intellectually.

Look Bro

We may not share the same faith but the Governor's statement is directed at the fact that they were already filled and the miracle more likely came because the wine finished before it was fully distributed
Re: Why Did Jesus Convert Water To Wine? by Iolo(m): 2:19pm On Feb 28, 2012
I don't really get your point bro.

My main issue is finding out if Drunkenness is a Sin?

Do you thing it is? Also note the fact that it's morally incorrect may not make it sinful.

When you give me you give me your feedback, I'd share my thoughts on this issue and hear what you have to say about that too.
Re: Why Did Jesus Convert Water To Wine? by jmoore(m): 2:40pm On Feb 28, 2012
taking alcohol is not a sin but taking it and being intoxicated is a sin

Jesus had already turned water into wine before the governor made the statement "And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now."
Re: Why Did Jesus Convert Water To Wine? by mkmyers45(m): 2:49pm On Feb 28, 2012
Iolo:

I don't really get your point bro.

My main issue is finding out if Drunkenness is a Sin?

Do you thing it is? Also note the fact that it's morally incorrect may not make it sinful.

When you give me you give me your feedback, I'd share my thoughts on this issue and hear what you have to say about that too.

Drunkenness is a sin but there is no way you can assert the people in the account narrated in the bible were drunk
Re: Why Did Jesus Convert Water To Wine? by Iolo(m): 5:24pm On Feb 28, 2012
@mkm,

I do not asset that they were drunk but going from the governor's statement, don't you think it would have been common place for men to get drunk @ weddings. Remember the fact that he said well-drunk and then the more quality wines should come before the lesser stuff which invariably implied that weddings were an opportunity for the guests to make merry, drink good wine, and then go home.

In the cause of making merry and drinking good wine, don't you think a portion of these individuals would have gotten drunk?am talking generally nw given the circumstances of the day not necessarily what transpried @ the Cana wedding.

@Jmoore, I take it that your reference to being intoxicated means a state of drukenness. My point still stands. If Jesus was aware that wine could make men drunk and lead them to commit the sin of drunkennes why then di he convert the water to wine or make the wine more available in the first place. Do you get my point?

I've had a sister in the lord argue with that the wine in the bible was non-alcoholic (just like Eva wine) but I'm sure you knw that's out of it.

My thoughts prior to now were that alcohol isn't bad but too much of it is. Does drunkenness means you have sinned in the eyes of God? Right now, I think NO. What if you kill someone or lie or commit adultery while drunk then you've SINNED all the same.
Re: Why Did Jesus Convert Water To Wine? by mkmyers45(m): 5:34pm On Feb 28, 2012
Iolo:

@mkm,

I do not asset that they were drunk but going from the governor's statement, don't you think it would have been common place for men to get drunk @ weddings. Remember the fact that he said well-drunk and then the more quality wines should come before the lesser stuff which invariably implied that weddings were an opportunity for the guests to make merry, drink good wine, and then go home.

In the cause of making merry and drinking good wine, don't you think a portion of these individuals would have gotten drunk?am talking generally nw given the circumstances of the day not necessarily what transpried @ the Cana wedding.

@Jmoore, I take it that your reference to being intoxicated means a state of drukenness. My point still stands. If Jesus was aware that wine could make men drunk and lead them to commit the sin of drunkennes why then di he convert the water to wine or make the wine more available in the first place. Do you get my point?

I've had a sister in the lord argue with that the wine in the bible was non-alcoholic (just like Eva wine) but I'm sure you knw that's out of it.

My thoughts prior to now were that alcohol isn't bad but too much of it is. Does drunkenness means you have sinned in the eyes of God? Right now, I think NO. What if you kill someone or lie or commit adultery while drunk then you've SINNED all the same.

It may be possible that grape wine are not so intoxicating (This was what they drank according to Jewish Culture) but Man look i believe in God(One God and No Religion) and being self-conscious

Think and Choose what you want to believe
Re: Why Did Jesus Convert Water To Wine? by aaronv: 1:16pm On Mar 28, 2013
Luke 1:15
15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

I Cor 6:10
Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

I understand if someone that still wants to go to Heaven or be considered Christlike which is what Christian means, they will find any way to justify what they want to do. So if people want to get drunk for whatever reason they will find scriptures to twist, but how can you twist these scriptures. The Bible also says Touch NOT the unclean thing and I will recieve you. Obviously that means if you touch the unclean thing you won't be recieved. But I am sure that can be twisted as well. Yes, Jesus does forgive but even if we use that as a free pass to do whatever and willingly sin knowing we will "ask" (of course not repent or be sorry) to be forgiven.
Re: Why Did Jesus Convert Water To Wine? by Alfamann: 1:23pm On Mar 28, 2013
Luckily Jizz-Us didn't go to Jamaica when he decided to come on earth because they would have smoked the highest quality ganja in the universe on that day.

(1) (Reply)

Any Difference Btw The Roman Catholic Church And The Today Protestant Churches? / Giving Your Tithe Doesn't Help God Or Your Pastors / What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.