Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,958 members, 7,803,168 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 10:40 AM

Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon (6270 Views)

Okorocha Turning Imo To A Haven For Tourist & A Modern Model City (Pics) / Meet The Major Contenders For Edo State Government House In 2016 / Government To Investigate Emeagwali (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by trueword: 6:31am On Feb 29, 2012
Imo State government to start airline soon
Thursday, 23 February 2012

Imo state government will start a state government owned airline to be known as Imo Air.

The governor of Imo state Rochas Okorocha said this while delivering the state Appropriation Bill for 2012.

Okorocha has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with a UK-based company to execute the airline project.

He said the partnership would make the airline be profitable as it would not be tied down by government bureaucracy.

This comes as rehabilitation and expansion works are being rounded-up in the Sam Mbakwe International Cargo Airport (SMICA).

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/111-politics/33638-imo-state-government-to-start-airline-soon
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by mensdept: 6:34am On Feb 29, 2012
Hope this info is true. Can fly from Bini/Lagos to Owerri lol.

Why cant the AGPA governors come together and modernize their states ( Imo Airport and drill a Seaport at Onicha) without looking for PDP crooks to promise this and that from Abuja. They have the funds now, unlike the days of Ohakim and Ngige/Mbadinuju.
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by Onlytruth(m): 6:35am On Feb 29, 2012
trueword:

Imo State government to start airline soon
Thursday, 23 February 2012

Imo state government will start a state government owned airline to be known as Imo Air.

The governor of Imo state Rochas Okorocha said this while delivering the state Appropriation Bill for 2012.

Okorocha has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with a UK-based company to execute the airline project.

He said the partnership would make the airline be profitable as it would not be tied down by government bureaucracy.

This comes as rehabilitation and expansion works are being rounded-up in the Sam Mbakwe International Cargo Airport (SMICA).

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/111-politics/33638-imo-state-government-to-start-airline-soon

That airport should be made a full international airport as soon as possible.
The airline idea is good, so the airline can start international flights (which is more profitable) soon too.
Heartland is kicking!  cool
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by Onlytruth(m): 6:39am On Feb 29, 2012
mens dept:

Why cant the AGPA governors come together and modernize their states ( Imo Airport and drill a Seaport at Onicha) without looking for PDP crooks to promise this and that from Abuja. They have the funds now, unlike the days of Ohakim and Ngige/Mbadinuju.

Rochas Okorocha is showing what is possible when you have a man with ideas at the helm.
I hope Peter Obi is watching and working with him.
If they get it right in the two states, others will go APGA too.
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by monkeyleg: 6:39am On Feb 29, 2012
misplaced priority.
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by Onlytruth(m): 6:41am On Feb 29, 2012
monkeyleg:

misplaced priority.

Not if it will be viable and not be a drag on the state, and from what I read, it won't be a government thing.

Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by monkeyleg: 6:45am On Feb 29, 2012
It is not necessary. when state start getting into this sort of business I fear. he should focus on mass transit programme, and create enabiling environment for private firms to run such things
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by Onlytruth(m): 6:51am On Feb 29, 2012
monkeyleg:

It is not necessary. when state start getting into this sort of business I fear. he should focus on mass transit programme, and create enabiling environment for private firms to run such things

I see it more from the perspective of profit, revenue generation and brand development.
Who says Imo Air can't be the "South West Airlines" (the US local airline that dominates a chunk of the US domestic air travels).
Nigeria is still largely untapped, if you know what you are doing, you will create a wealth machine.
My only caveat is that government must not fund it.
Imo public can still own part of it, but it musn't be funded by Imo state government.
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by mensdept: 6:53am On Feb 29, 2012
monkeyleg:

Its very necessary. You know for sometime its been state policy to not allow for any international airport in the Midwest/Middle Belt/East. WHy?

In the Western World, the most important MASS TRANSIT are airports and Sea ports. They bring in the big bucks, and almost automatically change the landscape of a region or state.

9ja knows this, but of course, you cant keep people enslaved for ever, no matter if you are Rome, the British, the Soviets, etc.

Look at Enugu airport ,the FG is just B.S'ing, as another 10 years will go by and nada.
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by Onlytruth(m): 6:59am On Feb 29, 2012
mens dept:

Its very necessary. You know for sometime its been state policy to not allow for any international airport in the Midwest/Middle Belt/East. WHy?

In the Western World, the most important MASS TRANSIT are airports and Sea ports. They bring in the big bucks, and almost automatically change the landscape of a region or state.

9ja knows this, but of course, you cant keep people enslaved for ever, no matter if you are Rome, the British, the Soviets, etc.

Look at Enugu airport ,the FG is just B.S'ing, as another 10 years will go by and nada.

Which is why I am even more confident about the Owerri airport.
Somehow, my Imo folks know just how to get stuff done.
It is already happening. cool
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by Abagworo(m): 7:51am On Feb 29, 2012
mens dept:

Why cant the AGPA governors come together and modernize their states ( Imo Airport and drill a Seaport at Onicha) without looking for PDP crooks to promise this and that from Abuja. They have the funds now, unlike the days of Ohakim and[b] Ngige[/b]/Mbadinuju.

Sometimes you guys get on my nerves. @Bolded I wonder on what grounds that name should be there. Ngige remains a legend. Why put an angel in the midst of looters.
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by Afam4eva(m): 8:28am On Feb 29, 2012
This is a great Idea.
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by Demdem(m): 8:49am On Feb 29, 2012
Onlytruth:

I see it more from the perspective of profit, revenue generation and brand development.
Who says Imo Air can't be the "South West Airlines" (the US local airline that dominates a chunk of the US domestic air travels).
Nigeria is still largely untapped, if you know what you are doing, you will create a wealth machine.
My only caveat is that government must not fund it.
Imo public can still own part of it, but it musn't be funded by Imo state government.

On that basis, its ok however am just skeptical
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by Bawss1(m): 9:09am On Feb 29, 2012
Ah the arrival of Chukwu Airlines is here at last.

On a serious note one hopes that precious government funds are not sunk into this project. There are still a 1001 basic infrastructural challenges to be tackled by the state government and so getting into a slow to generate profit yet very capital intensive project makes no sense at all. The airline industry the world over is hard pressed to churn a profit so Imo state had better tread carefully.
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by Demdem(m): 9:14am On Feb 29, 2012
^^^^^

This reminds of of the TINAPA project in cross rivers. So much hopes and expectation that made the state government commit so much into it that even till date the burden is still there with little or no expected returns.
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by chino11(m): 9:23am On Feb 29, 2012
This is pedestrian, focuseless, visionless and myopic idea if not another political pronoucement. Government should not have any business investing in such a heavy financial projects that will be ruined down in a matter of months. It is better done by private or foreign investors and not using state's tiny resources for such a project, maybe its a conduit pipe to suck the state out. This governor has taken the Chieftancy title of a 'talking talking' governor of Igboland.
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by Mynd44: 9:25am On Feb 29, 2012
What a waste of time. There are bigger problems in the state remember the University is still on strike oooooo
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by Okijajuju1(m): 9:35am On Feb 29, 2012
Yet another Rochas Okorocha jamboree.

I shall wait and see. . . .

Government Airline. . Like IMO State Transport Company abi!!
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by otokx(m): 9:35am On Feb 29, 2012
They should do a proper business analysis or else it will go the way of TINAPA.
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by ifyalways(f): 10:08am On Feb 29, 2012
Abagworo:

Sometimes you guys get on my nerves. @Bolded I wonder on what grounds that name should be there. Ngige remains a legend. Why put an angel in the midst of looters.
Argh,Abagworo,bless you,bless you !

@Okija,what about ITC?Don't tell me its gone with the winds please.

@Topic,cool only if its NOT funded and managed by the govt.
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by Bawss1(m): 10:16am On Feb 29, 2012
Okija_juju:

Yet another Rochas Okorocha jamboree.

I shall wait and see. . . .

Government Airline. . Like IMO State Transport Company abi!!
cheesy

Perhaps during the Christmas holidays Rochas will give away free tickets to Imo state indigenes travelling back home. Such an absurd move cannot be ruled out under his Santa Claus style of government. grin
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by debosky(m): 10:17am On Feb 29, 2012
Celebrating starting an airline in a state where people are still struggling on terrible roads?

Why can't we fix basic problems before starting vanity projects like this?

What happened to the numerous road transport companies formed in the past? Are they working optimally? Are they making profit?

It is clearly a case of misplaced priority and simply another means to siphon state resources. If an airline from Imo was so profitable, why haven't people already running airlines in Nigeria tried to get in on the action?
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by kokoA(m): 10:28am On Feb 29, 2012
eerrhhmm. . . me thinks he should have started with mass transit buses sha o. That will have more positive effect on the people of imo.
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by Kx: 10:30am On Feb 29, 2012
Imo Air or ITC Airways?
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by Jemibee: 10:52am On Feb 29, 2012
This governor is WORKING ooo!! More grease to your elbow!! Is it not the same state where they have free education??

If this is true, may the Good Lord bless him with many more ideas to better his people and quality people as his allies to carry strict instructions out.
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by aglomar: 11:02am On Feb 29, 2012
How she adequately fund n maintain it? Is that an essential service? Pls don't put people's lives at d mercy of vulcanizers n 'mechanics'.
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by Okijajuju1(m): 11:32am On Feb 29, 2012
ifyalways:

Argh,Abagworo,bless you,bless you !

@Okija,what about ITC?Don't tell me its gone with the winds please.

@Topic,cool only if its NOT funded and managed by the govt.

ITC is working o!!

With ramshackle busses and things. . .

If ITC had reached the standard of the American Greyhound or Coach bus companies, then I would have been hopeful for this airline. BUT. . . . .
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by Kobojunkie: 11:36am On Feb 29, 2012
Government running an Airline is a good idea WOW!!!! WOW!!! An Airline? All the stories of Airlines going bankrupt no do, now we want government running an Airline?? A state that has been struggling to maintain, and bring major business to it's one main Airport, is to run an Airline?

Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by sandee575(f): 11:44am On Feb 29, 2012
Another white elephant project and our peoples' penchance for grandiosity.
Imo Airport is already being serviced by most of the airlines. The need for
government participation is nil. When the people jubilate on hearing their
governor announce such a plan i remember Bakare's statement about the
fools being led by idiots.  embarassed embarassed
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by Kizilala: 12:02pm On Feb 29, 2012
chino11:

This is pedestrian, focuseless, visionless and myopic idea if not another political pronoucement. Government should not have any business investing in such a heavy financial projects that will be ruined down in a matter of months. It is better done by private or foreign investors and not using state's tiny resources for such a project, maybe its a conduit pipe to suck the state out. This governor has taken the Chieftancy title of a 'talking talking' governor of Igboland.

I totally agree with your statement
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by Kizilala: 12:08pm On Feb 29, 2012
I like Rochas but it seems he loves making grandiose statements.Always in the news.He should work on his narcissism
Re: Imo State Government To Start Airline Soon by AJpikin: 12:14pm On Feb 29, 2012
@kobojunkie, let`s allow the man give us the details on how he intends to operate the airline, just might work out u know bringing more revenue for the state. But a more effective mass transit scheme for beta pass right now sha.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sanusi To FG: Stop Accumulating Debts For Future Generation / FG, States And LGA Share N532.7bn In October / Benue Gov, Ortom Denies Making Hate Speech Against Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.