Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,621 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:46 PM

What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? (5484 Views)

The True Gospel; An Open Letter To Christians / Is This The True Gospel Of Jesus Christ? / The True Gospel Of Jesus Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by Goshen360(m): 6:00pm On Feb 29, 2012
Everybody talks about preaching the gospel but few actually preach it. Most TV preachers collect money so that they can “take the gospel to all nations” but they never seem to actually proclaim the gospel. In fact most of the time you can watch so called Christian TV all day long and never once hear a presentation of the true gospel of the kingdom.

Jesus began his public ministry by saying,
The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel. (Mark 1:15)

Before he departed back to heaven Jesus told the disciples, "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. (Mark 16:15)

When Jesus was asked by His disciples to tell them what shall be the sign of His return and the end of the age he said, And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. (Matt 24:14)

This "gospel of the kingdom" seems to be the central tenet of Jesus ministry. So, my question to you is this; what exactly is the gospel of the kingdom?

Ask many people what is the gospel and see what type of response you get. Many will say it is the good news. Some will say it is the first four books of the New Testament. Some will even relate it to doing good works like feeding the poor or bringing people to church. You see, the church today is so far from the truth that most don’t know and few can actually agree on what exactly constitutes the gospel of the kingdom.

Hence I bring on board for us to discuss. What exactly is the true gospel? I know that the gospel means the good news but can you specifically define what that good news is? Let the bible explain itself by definition of what the true Gospel is please, no head knowledge or vain words. Support your answer or view(s) with a bible verse please.

Let's keep it rolling.
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by PastorAIO: 7:40pm On Feb 29, 2012
The Good News (ie Gospel) is that THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN IS AT HAND. Full stop. Finito.

The next question that you should be asking is: What is this Kingdom of Heaven that is at hand (ie. accessible)?

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by Goshen360(m): 9:13pm On Feb 29, 2012
^^^
The kingdom of heaven is at hand right? Then we are told to believe the gospel (good news). What is this good news or this gospel we should believe? And please remember to back up with bible verse(s) please.
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Feb 29, 2012
You are wrong Pastor AIO.

Love Yourself, Love Your Neighbor as Yourself and Love God (whatever You want to replace that with).

When you can do that you wont need to worry about 'The Kingdom cometh' or 'signs of the end times'
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by Goshen360(m): 9:39pm On Feb 29, 2012
^^^
Love is defined as signs of our discipleship with Jesus. That is why we are called Christians, followers of Christ.

John 13:35, NLT

"Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples."

Jesus went further in Luke 6:35 to say,

But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.

So we see that "LOVE" is our sign of stewardship or disciples of Jesus Christ.

@ diluminati, try again please. The bible itself defined the true gospel. I guess we use this thread to teach some stuffs. And you didn't give bible verse for your comment o,lol
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Feb 29, 2012
If I may add , the true Gospel is to preach the gospel of repentance from our sins , to turn back to God that he may heal us and to subsequently obey his commandments and walk with him.

Matthew 28:18-20 " Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by Goshen360(m): 10:25pm On Feb 29, 2012
^^^
You and Pastor AIO are coming on spot gradually. but one more thing needed and we kick off the teaching to compare with what we see in our society and churches today to see if we are truly preaching the true gospel. Am waiting for more comments with bible verse(s).
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by buzugee(m): 11:06pm On Feb 29, 2012
good question. the gospel is a messge thAt needs to be told to all earthlings whose main objective is to align the good part of their spirit (holy spirit) with their body so that the spiritual uniformity created in all earthlings as  result of this melding of their holy spirit to their body will achieve 2 aims
1-enable them to treat their fellow men as they want to be treated and do unto others how they want others to do unto them MATTHEW 7 VS 12

-2nd the most important aim is that with this uniformity of spirit, we get to bring to earth as it is done in heaven MATTHEW 6 VS 10
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by modavi: 12:00am On Mar 01, 2012
frosbel:

If I may add , the true Gospel is to preach the gospel of repentance from our sins , to turn back to God that he may heal us and to subsequently obey his commandments and walk with him.

Matthew 28:18-20 " Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
GBAM!
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by ichuka(m): 12:01am On Mar 01, 2012
Roms8:28-30;And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him,who have been called according to His purpose.for those God foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the LIKENESS of HIS SON,that He might be the first born among many BROTHERS.and those He predestined,He also called;those He called,He also justified;those He Justified,He also glorified.
The purpose of the Gospel is for sonship.
God desire is for sons/daughters in His own likeness,that will rule(Gen1:26). And be His kingdom  and priests(not just in Heaven) serving Him and reigning here on earth.(Rev5:10).
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by Lasinoh: 12:15am On Mar 01, 2012
No one is true o!
All lies written by inspired drunks! kiss
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by buzugee(m): 12:26am On Mar 01, 2012
Lasinoh:

No one is true o!
All lies written by inspired drunks! kiss
Matthew 12 :36 But i say unto you , That every idle word that men shall speak , they shall give account thereof in the day of judgement. cry
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by Goshen360(m): 12:27am On Mar 01, 2012
You guys are coming closer except for Lasinoh who perhaps doesn't believe the gospel, maybe God will touch him by the time we are done with the topic,lol
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by Goshen360(m): 12:29am On Mar 01, 2012
Still room for more answers please and we put all together, so we get something out of it. Still waiting for closest answer.
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by modavi: 1:59am On Mar 01, 2012
LOVE-- Matthew 22 vs 36 'that was made flesh' John 1 vs 14-God (the word of God;the true Gospel) being demonstrated by God to us;to have sent his son to come and die for our sins and reconciling us to himself. God is love and that's the true Gospel.Thus,we too have to keep preaching that true gospel "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends"John 15:3.But then,If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing"
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by Goshen360(m): 2:20am On Mar 01, 2012
goshen360:

^^^
Love is defined as signs of our discipleship with Jesus. That is why we are called Christians, followers of Christ.

John 13:35, NLT

"Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples."

Jesus went further in Luke 6:35 to say,

But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.

So we see that "LOVE" is our sign of stewardship or disciples of Jesus Christ.

Try again please. The bible itself defined the true gospel.
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by stepo707: 11:10am On Mar 01, 2012
The true gospel is the one as taught by the apostle of Jesus christ which comprises of the following:
1.Have faith in Jesus christ Acts19:4,Hebrew 11:1,6
2. Repent of your sin(this consist of 5-6steps) Acts 2:38
3. Be baptised John3:3-5,Acts 8:12,Acts2:38
4.receive the holyghost Acts 2:38,john 3:3-5,Acts8:17
5. Remain faithful/endure till the end of your life Acts 2:42

Hope this helps.
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by PastorAIO: 1:41pm On Mar 01, 2012
Wow!!! Thank God for this thread. Now I can see why I have so much difficulty in being understood in this forum.

goshen360:

^^^
The kingdom of heaven is at hand right? Then we are told to believe the gospel (good news). What is this good news or this gospel we should believe? And please remember to back up with bible verse(s) please.

You totally missed what I said, it seems. The Gospel IS that the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand. That is what Jesus taught. The good news that we should believe is that the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.

I'm sorry I don't feel any need to back this up with any bible verse. If you don't get it then we should just forget the whole matter.
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by PastorAIO: 1:45pm On Mar 01, 2012
diluminati:

Love Yourself, Love Your Neighbor as Yourself and Love God (whatever You want to replace that with).

When you can do that you wont need to worry about 'The Kingdom cometh' or 'signs of the end times'

Okay o! If that floats your boat. I don't know what 'kingdom comet' and 'signs of end times' has to do with anything that I said though.

For more on the Kingdom of Heaven please check here:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-630887.0.html
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by Goshen360(m): 2:53pm On Mar 01, 2012
Pastor AIO:

Wow!!! Thank God for this thread. Now I can see why I have so much difficulty in being understood in this forum.

You totally missed what I said, it seems. The Gospel IS that the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand. That is what Jesus taught. The good news that we should believe is that the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.

I'm sorry I don't feel any need to back this up with any bible verse. If you don't get it then we should just forget the whole matter.

Now I get you brother. I also said you are in line. Sometimes, you also need to make your point very clear so people don't misunderstand you often. Many people will have different interpretation of a particular statement. Anyway, I get you point now, you are very much in line with the answer. We will tie them up very soon. Thanks
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by Sweetnecta: 3:11pm On Mar 01, 2012
the kingdom of God is at hand, said over 2K years ago. Either it was at hand then, or really it wasn't because it is taking so long for the world to end, if it was at hand when it was said it was at hand.
considering his telling his disciples he will return, eminently before the end of the world, when he said it was at hand 2000 years ago. neither has he returned nor has the world ended. we are here still and it actually underscored the fact that the arrival of the man known as another comforter was just soon enough, considering that he must correct the mistakes established, etc. please read the duties of the another comforter who must minister to ignorant people.

shouldn't the true gospel be in a single gospel, the gospel of the one who preached the gospel in stead of collating "it" from many books; gospels according to many writers, acts, etc?
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by Goshen360(m): 3:32pm On Mar 01, 2012
Sweetnecta:

the kingdom of God is at hand, said over 2K years ago. Either it was at hand then, or really it wasn't because it is taking so long for the world to end, if it was at hand when it was said it was at hand.
considering his telling his disciples he will return, eminently before the end of the world, when he said it was at hand 2000 years ago. neither has he returned nor has the world ended. we are here still and it actually underscored the fact that the arrival of the man known as another comforter was just soon enough, considering that he must correct the mistakes established, etc. please read the duties of the another comforter who must minister to ignorant people.

shouldn't the true gospel be in a single gospel, the gospel of the one who preached the gospel in stead of collating "it" from many books; gospels according to many writers, acts, etc?

1. There are prophesies that must be fulfilled before the return of Christ. God is not a magician. God doesn't do things the way men wanted it to be except in some case perhaps when it involves miracle.

2. Bolded. The same true gospel of Jesus is ONE and it is spread into many forms. Permit me to say, just like and egg as whole and one but have many layers. I hope you get the picture. We want to get the true gospel and see how it is presented to us today. What do you understand by the gospel?
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by Chuksxp: 3:41pm On Mar 01, 2012
I have a feeling this is the scripture you're waiting for:

Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by Goshen360(m): 3:47pm On Mar 01, 2012
Chuksxp:

I have a feeling this is the scripture you're waiting for:

Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4

GREAT! YOU ARE THE MAN BROTHER. THIS IS THE TOTAL AND TRUE GOSPEL. NOW LETS EXTRACT EVERYTHING EVERYONE HAD SAID FROM THIS. OMG, YOU MADE MY DAY BROTHER.
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by stepo707: 4:07pm On Mar 01, 2012
Sweetnecta:

t[b]he kingdom of God is at hand, said over 2K years ago. Either it was at hand then, or really it wasn't because it is taking so long for the world to end, if it was at hand when it was said it was at hand.
considering his telling his disciples he will return, eminently before the end of the world, when he said it was at hand 2000 years ago. neither has he returned nor has the world ended. we are here still and it actually underscored the fact that the arrival of the man known as another comforter was just soon enough, considering that he must correct the mistakes established, etc. please read the duties of the another comforter who must minister to ignorant people.[/b]

my sister please be patient,there is still so much work to be done(matt24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.)There is so much work to be done,just keep doing your part
2peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by Goshen360(m): 4:15pm On Mar 01, 2012

Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: [b]that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4[/b]

This is the TRUE GOSPEL OF CHRIST. This is the gospel that Jesus preached from the beginning.

Math 4:17
From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mark 1:15
The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

This is the gospel that Paul proclaims throughout his ministry.

Rom 10:9
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

This is the gospel that Peter preached on the day of Pentecost.

Acts 2:22-24
Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know. Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

This is the gospel that Paul says is the power of God

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.  

This is the gospel that is not being preached by the church today. Instead the church has substituted a false gospel, a powerless gospel that is really no gospel at all.

Gal 1:8
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach [b]any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
[/b]

The so called gospel that is preached today is the “ask Jesus into your heart” gospel.  It is the gospel that says ‘Jesus loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life’ It is the gospel of the so called sinners prayer which is found nowhere in scripture. The gospel of give and get. Yes, Jesus loves us but doesn't love our sins and worldliness and dead word. He doesn't love our rebellion against God. He is jealous we taking side with the devil and the worldly practices. We must seek the kingdom of God first which starts with repentance from our sins and dead works and ALL other things will follow.

May the Spirit of God convince us of our shortcomings as we read this article.
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by PastorAIO: 4:32pm On Mar 01, 2012
You have to be careful of the way you interpret that passage from Corinthians.

If the Gospel is about the death and resurrection of Christ (which it is) solely and fundamentally then how could Jesus have preached the Gospel while he was still alive? How could John the baptist have preached the gospel?

For Further thought: If baptism is symbolic of death and rebirth and John baptized before Christ was crucified and Jesus' disciples too baptized before the crucifixion then whose death and resurrection exactly does it symbolise? Remember that we are all to die with Christ and be resurrected with him.

Let's chew on this verse, maybe it can help us.

And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Revelation 13:8
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by knelson(m): 4:39pm On Mar 01, 2012
diluminati:

You said it beautifully well, diluminati.  "Love your neighbor as yourself". If we all do that, the world will be a much better place for everybody. Forget all those people who call themselves Reverends and Pastor. Just do what Christ commanded us to do, ", Love your neighbor as yourself, "
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by modavi: 4:46pm On Mar 01, 2012
I believe the aim of this thread was for us to learn more just as the Bible says-- "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness"-2Timothy 3 vs 16.Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth"--2Tim 2vs 15. NOT FOR ARGUMENTS-- 2Ti 2:16 "But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness"--COS "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book"---MAY GOD HELP US! lipsrsealed
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by modavi: 4:51pm On Mar 01, 2012
modavi:

I believe the aim of this thread was for us to learn more just as the Bible says-- "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness"-2Timothy 3 vs 16.Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth"--2Tim 2vs 15. NOT FOR ARGUMENTS-- 2Ti 2:16 "But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness"--COS "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book" Revelation 22 vs 18---MAY GOD HELP US! lipsrsealed
Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by baconline(m): 4:54pm On Mar 01, 2012
The true gospel is about salvation,the question then is what is salvation?
Salvation is the restoration of man back to God.
It will shock you to know that most preachers really do not understand what salvation is.
It is all about Jesus!!!!!!! how we must live his life and forget abour ours
It has nothing to do with physical wellbeing and material gain!!!!!!!!!!!
the values of the kingdom of God is so different from the values of this earth,but it is sad to note that we have replaced the kingdoms values with that of this earth
The things of God are foolishness in the eyes of the natural man.
Do u know that the bible says very few every find that narrow way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!note it says very fewwwwwww!!!!

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Is The True Gospel ? by Naila: 4:58pm On Mar 01, 2012
The true Gospel is Jesus Christ and it is as simple as ABC  

Accept-Believe-Confess   Accept that He is the only begotten son from God Believe that He died for you and Confess (Rom 10:9-11)Him as your personal Lord and Saviour  “John 3:16”
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life

Jesus Christ preached his gospel and that is the true gospel. "Matt 4:23 And Jesus went about all Galilee … preaching the gospel of the kingdom…" His gospel must be about the kingdom of God. "John 1:17 … the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ." His gospel is mentioned as "grace and truth" in the above verse. "The truth" is the will of the Father and "the grace" is his power imparted to the humble and obedient believer to do the will of the Father. Those who received the true gospel will do the will of the Father by the power of the resurrected Lord Jesus Christ. The true gospel is not only a verbal message, but it includes impartation of the power of Jesus Christ.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Margaret Amure: "I Lied" / Is Jesus Christ A Descendant Of King David? / Don't Break The Hedge.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.