Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,886 members, 7,806,555 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:16 PM

What Do Arab Christians Call God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Do Arab Christians Call God? (21177 Views)

Dr. John Hagee: Women Who Call God’s Name During Sex Should Be Jailed / Church Of England Is Satanic Wants To Call God A Woman / What Special Name Do You Call God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do Arab Christians Call God? by osereka(m): 5:17pm On Oct 24, 2007
In all languages we have different ways we address and call our creator

YORUBA CALL HIM OLORUN, ELEDUMARE, ETC
IBBIRA CALL HIM, OHOMORIHI, IHINEBA ETC
IGALLA CALL HIM OJO
IBO CALL HIM, CHINEKE
HAUSA CALL HIM ALLAH
CALABAR CALL HIM ABASI
and other languages have different names for the mosrt high

WHAT DO THE ARAB CHRISTIAN CALL GOD
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by debosky(m): 5:24pm On Oct 24, 2007
correction, Hausa call Him Ubangiji, its the muslims that call their god Allah

6 Likes

Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by olanajim(m): 5:38pm On Oct 24, 2007
It would surprise you to know Arab christains actually call God ALLAH. They have a seperate name for jesus though.
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by AlfaPrime: 9:56am On Oct 25, 2007
yes, U may be rite about that, but that's simply because of the prevailing diction. it's a well known fact that the allah of the muslims and the Jehovah God of the Jews and Christians CANNOT be the same Person.

2 Likes

Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by jiddah: 10:13am On Oct 25, 2007
well, the Arab Christians call God Allah,that is the word for God in Arabic.

1 Like

Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by Lola4eva(f): 10:44am On Oct 25, 2007
i
AlfaPrime:

yes, You may be rite about that, but that's simply because of the prevailing diction. it's a well known fact that the allah of the muslims and the Jehovah God of the Jews and Christians CANNOT be the same Person.

i dont quite agree with you there, i believe we all serve the same God regardless of religion or beliefs. Arabic christians call God Allah, the same God that muslims also serve. I dont think you should be so biased on your views about religion, u sound like an extremist. Also pls note that God or Allah is not a person, he is the supreme being, cheers.
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by Pk001(m): 11:04am On Oct 25, 2007
@debosky (m)

A point of correction, Hausa call God, Allah(Both Christians And Moslems)
Ubangiji Means Almighty
So they simply say Ubangiji Allah
Even in hausa bible, God is refered to as Allah not just Ubangiji!

Allah is the name of God For Arabs.
And rememember to be an arab doesn't mean you are a moslem
So even Christian Arabs call God, Allah!
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by lafile(m): 11:32am On Oct 25, 2007
Allah is the arabic word for God. The only thing is that the personality attached to the name is different for christians and muslims.
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by Nobody: 11:43am On Oct 25, 2007
hmnn,watch the arabian night for a clue.a clue i said
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by Akhan1(m): 1:26pm On Oct 25, 2007
Allah of course, since we ar talking about language nt religion
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by tayokem(m): 2:55pm On Oct 25, 2007
the name Allah mean God in the Arab word.there is adiference between alah and Allah .Allah is the supreme being the creator of heaven and earth,the creator of all human being including you the reader
cheers
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by medube(m): 3:23pm On Oct 25, 2007
The word ALLAH is the Arabic word for God, whether the person is an Arabic Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, etc.

AlfaPrime:

it's a well known fact that the allah of the muslims and the Jehovah God of the Jews and Christians CANNOT be the same Person.

This has nothing to do with religion or whatever. Afterall, one would not say Igbos don't worship God, but Chineke, while both are the same only that Chineke is the Igbo word for God.
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by ifyalways(f): 4:23pm On Oct 25, 2007
No idea
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by fakande(m): 4:41pm On Oct 25, 2007
debosky:

correction, Hausa call Him Ubangiji, its the muslims that call their god Allah
Debosky, while u r not entirely wrong about Hausas calling God "Ubangiji", that is just one of their praise names for God. Primarily, God is called Allah by Hausa christians. It is just like God has several symbolic names in English language: Creator, Lord, Father, Omnipotent, Omniscient, Ancient of Days, etc etc.
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by FactorChic(f): 5:23pm On Oct 25, 2007
there are arab christians? shocked lipsrsealed
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 25, 2007
Lola4eva:

i don't quite agree with you there, i believe we all serve the same God regardless of religion or beliefs. Arabic christians call God Allah, the same God that muslims also serve. I don't think you should be so biased on your views about religion, u sound like an extremist. Also please note that God or Allah is not a person, he is the supreme being, cheers.

shocked shocked He sounds like an "extremist" for daring to say that the christian God is not the same as the muslim god?

Yes arab christians call God allah as that is the language . . .  but they know that the allah they worship is radically different from that of the quran. It is not a question of bias or extremism (the language of shallow muslims afraid to question their quran), it is simply a matter of doctrine.
No matter how "unbiased" you pretend to be even a 5yr old knows the quran and bible could not have originated from the same source.
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by Besteric(m): 5:45pm On Oct 25, 2007
Osareke,, Chineke is not de direct translation of God in Igbo language,, Chineke means God de creator,, Chukwu means Great God, The direct translation of God in Igbo is Chi,,,,,,,, when you add neke or ukwu,, you are lining out his deeds,,
Allah is Arabic language and not Muslim Language,, so Arab xtains call him Allah too,,

1 Like

Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by ifyalways(f): 5:50pm On Oct 25, 2007
corrections front and back tongue tongue tongue
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by spikedcylinder: 6:35pm On Oct 25, 2007
Yes, I cant agree more! The christian God, and the muslim one are very different beings.
The christian God is very manipulative, inconsistent and hypocritical.
The muslim God is quite violent and has severe punishments for both forgivable and unforgivable crimes against him and mankind.

They possibly cant be the same person!
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by ifyalways(f): 10:13pm On Oct 25, 2007
spikedcylinder:

Yes, I can't agree more! The christian God, and the muslim one are very different beings.
The muslim God is quite violent and has severe punishments for both forgivable and unforgivable crimes against him and mankind.

They possibly can't be the same person!

what makes you think or say that the christian God is manipulative,inconsistent and hypocriticalhmmmmmmn words !
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by crazyT(m): 11:05pm On Oct 25, 2007
spikedcylinder:

Yes, I can't agree more! The christian God, and the muslim one are very different beings.

Don't you think you are going too far by abusing the God some people called Holy? Though you have your own right to say what you feel or think but not to the detriment of another man's GOD
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Oct 25, 2007
spikedcylinder:

[b]The christian God is very manipulative, inconsistent and hypocritical.[/b]The muslim God is quite violent and has severe punishments for both forgivable and unforgivable crimes against him and mankind.

shocked you go hear from me tomorrow!! grin
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by parislomo(f): 12:36pm On Oct 26, 2007
Simple question that requires an answer in WORD FORM and some pips are already teaching theology! Ha nairalanders make una de try abeg!!!!
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by Lola4eva(f): 1:53pm On Oct 26, 2007
davidylan:

shocked shocked He sounds like an "extremist" for daring to say that the christian God is not the same as the muslim god?

Yes arab christians call God allah as that is the language . . . but they know that the allah they worship is radically different from that of the quran. It is not a question of bias or extremism (the language of shallow muslims afraid to question their quran), it is simply a matter of doctrine.
No matter how "unbiased" you pretend to be even a 5yr old knows the quran and bible could not have originated from the same source.

i must say im rather disappointed in you, how can you classify Allah as a muslim god, its really a shame. all i can say is that if you dont try to learn or understand other peoples beliefs, you may reamin biased forever, ill recommend a book for you, the complete idiot's guide to understanding Islam, check it out on the net. maybe then ull understand just how radical you sound. Even pastors preach against bias, u should try to understand where other people are coming from and not judge just because u dnt understand.
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by ifyalways(f): 3:32pm On Oct 26, 2007
See title of book ?
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Oct 26, 2007
Lola4eva:

i must say im rather disappointed in you, how can you classify Allah as a muslim god, its really a shame.

What then is Allah? the hindu or Rosicrucian god? Did you ever stop to think at all before expressing your "disappointment" and "shame"?

Lola4eva:

all i can say is that if you don't try to learn or understand other peoples beliefs, you may reamin biased forever, ill recommend a book for you, the complete idiot's guide to understanding Islam, check it out on the net. maybe then ull understand just how radical you sound. Even pastors preach against bias, u should try to understand where other people are coming from and not judge just because u dnt understand.

Honestly i admit a complete impossibility to understand the tripe you have written here. Since when has it become "bias" to declare that the christian God is different from that of the quran?
What is "radical" in declaring the truth that the God who inspired the bible CANNOT/CAN NEVER BE the same god who claims to have inspired the insipid quran? Pastors preach against "bias" but have you wondered what kind of bias? Please show me a church that uses the quran alongside the bible!

What have i judged? that Jesus Christ, Lord and Saviour of the christian faith is NOT the same as the allah in the quran?

I am honestly flummoxed at your silly resort to adhominems and knee-jerk reaction to an obvious issue. Perhaps you need to read the very book you recommended. . . The cardinal point of the bible is the death and resurrection of God who came down in human flesh, the quran clearly rejects this and yet you cry about "bias, judging and radicality" for pointing out these glaring differences?

Am i allowed to wonder why people are so quick to insult people when they express opposing oppinions?
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by Lola4eva(f): 5:49pm On Oct 26, 2007
@davidylan
i aint insulting you, but why do you keep spelling God when u talk of muslims with god, thats wat i meant by u classifying Allah as a muslim god and not God, noticed when u were talkin of christians u used God. Whatever your beliefs, muslims do not worship a god, u make it sound like they worship an idol or smething, anyways i think ive said too much already on this issue, u sound like u have a lot against muslims cos if u didnt u wuldnt use terms like shallow muslims or the insipid Quran, common this is someone's faith here. I also do not mean that pastors preach with the Quran , i only know that they respect muslims and do not judge them. I rest my case here, i wuldnt want to keep arguing with you, nairaland isnt for that.

@ifyalways- there really is a book with that title, the complete idiots guide is a collection of different books that covers various titles ranging btw education, entertainment, religion etc. The term idiot in their own perspective means someone that knows next to nothing about a particular issue and then they try to enlighten you, simple.

So nairalanders , no be insult abeg.
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by sirgai(m): 6:21pm On Oct 26, 2007
@ davidylan,

God ( by whatever name you call him) CANNOT DIE. If yours came to eartyh and then tasted death (which he created by the way) then you are correct that can not be the same Creator of heaven, earth and all there is that Arabs (its just a language bro!) call Allah.

And the capital G thing, as you can see grammar even affects the God spelling, so its just that, language.

And i understand your firm stand on your faith, its good. i mean if your pastor came upon sunday with a salamu alaykun greeting in church wouldnt you think he was possesed?

live your faith bro, God (Allah, Chi, Olorun, Jehova) etc) knows whom best serve him.
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Oct 26, 2007
sirgai:

God ( by whatever name you call him) CANNOT DIE. If yours came to eartyh and then tasted death (which he created by the way) then you are correct that can not be the same Creator of heaven, earth and all there is that Arabs (its just a language bro!) call Allah.

God cannot die? Since when did we, mere mortals, begin to decide what God can and cannot do?

sirgai:

And i understand your firm stand on your faith, its good. i mean if your pastor came upon sunday with a salamu alaykun greeting in church wouldnt you think he was possesed?

I'd probably walk out of the "church".

@ lola4ever, there is nothing like "respect for others religion". Muslims invented that to prevent others from criticising the fraud that is the quran.
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by ochocinco1(m): 7:08pm On Oct 26, 2007
Davidylan

It is because of people like you that the world is the way it is

Your mindset is no different from the BinLadens of this world.

I wonder how many virgins you hope to win in heaven though. tongue grin
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by Enigma(m): 8:22pm On Oct 26, 2007
Arab Christians do indeed call God Allah --- among other names. I used to attend church with them when I lived in Egypt.
Re: What Do Arab Christians Call God? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Oct 26, 2007
ocho cinco:

Davidylan

It is because of people like you that the world is the way it is

Your mindset is no different from the BinLadens of this world.

I wonder how many virgins you hope to win in heaven though. tongue grin

nah, we live in an age of denial and it is precisely because of those who choose to bury their heads in the sand rather than confront issues of controversy that the world is today in upheaval no thanks to dear old "peaceful" allah.

The bible does not tell me to await any heavenly virgins, infact it precisely makes me understand that there will be no marriage in heaven so those seeking eternal erotic pleasures had better look elsewhere. I hear allah promises that in his own heaven. Ask him.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

True Life Confession Of A Witch Woman! / What's The Fate Of Good, Godly Single Girls? / Hoodlums Attack Church, Cart Away Day's Offerings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.