Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,368 members, 7,800,739 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:57 AM

Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? (132007 Views)

Walden University Is On My Neck. / Which Nigerian University Has The Cheapest Fees? / Top 10 Universities To Study Engineering In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by tunene: 1:44pm On Mar 03, 2012
Talkwisdom:

my mind has always been FUTO or UNIZIk.what do you think bro?

By Unizik, I take it you mean Nnamdi Azikwe University, Awka (NAU). I would prefer FUTO. You won't believe this but it is true, I have interacted with few engineers from NAU and from my experience (spanning about 6months to 1year with them), they seem to be somewhat unserious with both studies and even their work. They talk more of money every now and then. It seems they teach them more marketing, enterprenuership and hussling than engineering, that is if they teach them engineering at all. Their (the ones I encountered) understanding of basics of engineering is lacking, though I need to quick state that none of them was an electrical engineer. On the contraty, most FUTO graduates that I have met, have been impressive. Some of them have really challenged me I must confess. Furthermore, NAU has 7 engineering courses, and yet I hardly hear of or see a lot of them in Abuja, PH, Lagos. May be most are outside the country or practicing trading instead. In Port Harcourt for example, you see a lot of FUTO guys and RSUST (their graduates seem to be some distance ahead of Uniport unbelievably) and surprisingly FUTA (I do not know why).
This is my opinion. You can undergo a general consultation to get more views. I wish you the best. Cheers.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by tunene: 1:51pm On Mar 03, 2012
babanne:

Nobody here mentions the great of them all:OAU. Its hard to enter the school, but the engineering training will do you incomparable good.Your life will never remain the same again.Trust me.They have veterans as profs.They had even gone a step forward.They teach you engineering valuation in addition to your core engineering training.Try it and see.

Hey, before you do so, you must make up your mind that you will read like mad though.

Brother,

Engineering valuation, engineering economics, entrepreneurship and engineer-in-society are core modules in our engineering curriculum for about 10years or more. It is not an advantage that any schools applies it, it is basic.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by peleson: 1:51pm On Mar 03, 2012
@Talkwisdom, if i may ask, what is the real essence of life? in my own words , it's to discover one's self and develop that which God has endowed you with.Self discovery.
 Unilag creates such avenue for her students.you need to understand that one of the greatest plaque in nigeria today is unemployment. So naturally, Unilag educates you to be an employer of labour.You can't give what you do not have, so it's that simple, So when people look for your services,it means you have got something.Unilag believes in rendering services to many and not just to a firm you are employed to work for.Why not be that firm and render your peculiar services as you grow daily to become a multinational,
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by peleson: 2:02pm On Mar 03, 2012
And that does not stop you from working for any firm if you so wish.With time , you will realize you are more likely going to be a relying point, is that simple, instead of being a relying point to a few, why not many and still make your money?
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by babanne(m): 2:18pm On Mar 03, 2012
@talkwisdom
Gone are the days when OAU was always on strike.The last three set sets (as far as i can remember) did not loose a single year.You can ask any recent OAU grad u see around.The VC before this present one has corrected all of that.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by babanne(m): 2:27pm On Mar 03, 2012
@talkwisdom
Gone are the days when OAU was always on strike.The last three set sets (as far as i can remember) did not loose a single year.You can ask any recent OAU grad u see around.The VC before this present one has corrected all of that.

Let me also add that if you see any engineering grad from OAU practicing, they are always standing out. People will always ask you where did you graduate from.I graduated from the Elect/Elect dept from the school, though we lost 2 years during our time,but I'm still very happy that I graduated from there.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by Talkwisdom(m): 6:32pm On Mar 03, 2012
babanne:

@talkwisdom

Let me also add that if you see any engineering grad from OAU practicing, they are always standing out. People will always ask you where did you graduate from.I graduated from the Elect/Elect dept from the school, though we lost 2 years during our time,but I'm still very happy that I graduated from there.
do they have 'circuit design' in their course allocation for Elect/Elect curriculum?i learnt that no institution teaches that course,
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by Talkwisdom(m): 6:40pm On Mar 03, 2012
peleson:

And that does not stop you from working for any firm if you so  wish.With time , you will realize you are more likely going to be a relying point, is that simple, instead of being a relying point to a few, why not many and still make your money?
Bro,that is to say,they teach more of entrepreneurship than engineering or do you in any way mean both?
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by Talkwisdom(m): 6:48pm On Mar 03, 2012
tunene:

By Unizik, I take it you mean Nnamdi Azikwe University, Awka (NAU). I would prefer FUTO. You won't believe this but it is true, I have interacted with few engineers from NAU and from my experience (spanning about 6months to 1year with them), they seem to be somewhat unserious with both studies and even their work. They talk more of money every now and then. It seems they teach them more marketing, enterprenuership and hussling than engineering, that is if they teach them engineering at all. Their (the ones I encountered) understanding of basics of engineering is lacking, though I need to quick state that none of them was an electrical engineer. On the contraty, most FUTO graduates that I have met, have been impressive. Some of them have really challenged me I must confess. Furthermore, NAU has 7 engineering courses, and yet I hardly hear of or see a lot of them in Abuja, PH, Lagos. May be most are outside the country or practicing trading instead. In Port Harcourt for example, you see a lot of FUTO guys and RSUST (their graduates seem to be some distance ahead of Uniport unbelievably) and surprisingly FUTA (I do not know why).
This is my opinion. You can undergo a general consultation to get more views. I wish you the best. Cheers.
you are simply more than a brother,
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by tombeh(m): 8:27pm On Mar 03, 2012
futo is the best cool
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by dayokanu(m): 8:43pm On Mar 03, 2012
OAU or UNILAG others are just way inferior
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by visitamyu(m): 8:59pm On Mar 03, 2012
LAUTECH is also very good in terms of Engineering. Won the 'best state university in Nigeria' for several years.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by tpia5: 11:11pm On Mar 03, 2012
In Naija Who cares the sch you graduated from as far as the sch is accredited, all that matters is if u graduate with a good grade??

thank you.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by tpia5: 11:13pm On Mar 03, 2012
the op is just chasing the wind.

at some point, people will start to evaluate what they themselves are bringing to a school instead of just what the school is bringing to them.

if you're waiting for a school to "polish" you, then I'm afraid it may be very difficult for the school to do so.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by kaynoJah(m): 11:24pm On Mar 03, 2012
For Civil: UNIBEN or UNN
Electrical:
Chemical: ESUT, UNILAG, UNIPORT
Petroleum: UI, FUTO
Electrical: ABU, OAU
Mechanical: ESUT, LASU & FUTA
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by nikky5(m): 11:53pm On Mar 03, 2012
I have interviewed many of these engineering graduates for teaching jobs here in Lagos.Those schools never taught them how to impact their knowledge on the society.They can not invent anything but theory.What a shame.If you need a teaching job too just send me an sms.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by tpia5: 12:01am On Mar 04, 2012
engineer doesnt necessarily = inventor, any more than other disciplines.

most inventions are the result of hard work and years of experience, not people going to "inventing schools" to learn "inventing".

just my two cents.

and thanks for the job offers though.

always good to know people are willing to help.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by tpia5: 12:03am On Mar 04, 2012
btw hope the offer is kosher, because someone is currently spaming the forum with teaching vacancies.

definitely up to something.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:49am On Mar 04, 2012
Permit me to say that Nigerian tertiary education is not much to write home about smiley but in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is still king.
First of all let us build the right parameters around your question, the truth like one poster already did here is that you make yourself in school. All this bravado and bragging about which is better or not is all subjective and it depends on what a person is looking out for.
Engineering has been so abused in this country that to a layman a mechanical engineer should be a mechanic, an electrical/electronics engineer should be an electrician but do not let yourself be fooled, there is a place for everyone.

Now lets get to the heart of your problem, whenever you are searching for a school what you look at is not the strength of the school in general but the strength of the department you want to go into, advanced countries like the US have those things mapped out already if you say you want to study engineering in general MIT comes to mind (that na if your brain carry oh, people like us wey get 5 mb nor dey even try am) but if you say specifically petroleum engineering then UT, Texas A&M and all that would come to mind.

Bringing it home, anyone who gives you a flat out name just because they attended the school is bull, you cannot know how good your school was if you do not have a another to compare it with, for all their name and popularity the schools in the west of Nigeria are not really known for their Engineering prowess (save for Unilag I think). To be honest with you generally engineering wise I would pick FUTO and most employers do. I have personally interacted with a lot of graduates from there and its not that I get the sense that their facilities are the best but some how at least the ones I have interacted with mostly know what they are doing. I finished from UNIPORT and I can easily tell you if you that the strongest Engineering department there is Mechanical Engineering (almost 5 profs here highest in engineering faculty)  which I finished from, they have got new young lecturers that would hopefully be up to date and not give you 1985 question papers as revision. This is  followed closely by Civil, the others are average and nothing spectacular, if you want less stress and the highest probability of finishing with a 2:1 then Petroleum engineering in Uniport is the key, their lecturers are lax and do not really hassle students. Electrical/Electronics is not bad but they lack good lecturers, they have got just one fast tracked professor  grin grin but he is the best damn lecturer in that whole university, unfortunately a tree cannot not make a forest, so stay clear. Chemical Eng, do not even go there unless you want to be assured of a 2:2 and nothing in your head afterwards. Environmental Eng, that one is also not strong at all, same as Gas Engineering, plenty of borrowed courses left and right no real lecturers.

Hopefully people in other schools would also give the strengths and weaknesses of their engineering faculties and you can pick better according to your strength and what you want afterwards in school. But in the very end its all up to you to make yourself something out of it.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by CyberG: 2:18am On Mar 04, 2012
No disrespect but if you are not intellectually superior, capable and hardworking, don't go to OAU.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by tpia5: 2:22am On Mar 04, 2012
someone with the op's attitude couldnt go to oau.

they'd weed him out in no time.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by tpia5: 2:23am On Mar 04, 2012
oau has a way of turning the tables on people with oversabi attitude and little humility.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by HighChief4(m): 2:57am On Mar 04, 2012
^^^Tpia@ on rampage again, what do you know about Universities?
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by holyghost(m): 3:46am On Mar 04, 2012
if u must study Engineering travel out to Europe, China or India and study the latest in technology.
so that you can be employable or valuable to yourself and to any society you my find yourself.

am very sure that no university in Nigeria is up per with the syllabus of 19 century let alone 21st century

but if you must study in Nigeria change your course to economics, theology or law(look around they are the only people who have a reasonable income.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by Nobody: 5:11am On Mar 04, 2012
holyghost:

if u must study Engineering travel out to Europe, China or India and study the latest in technology.
so that you can be employable or valuable to yourself and to any society you my find yourself.

am very sure that no university in Nigeria is up  per with the syllabus of 19 century let alone 21st century

but if you must study in Nigeria change your course to economics, theology or law(look around they are the only people who have a reasonable income.

You hit the nail on the head. A great observation.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by Pain(m): 5:47am On Mar 04, 2012
None Please. Ship out to Europe, America or Asia. You can try Ghana if funds are limited.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by mayorrex(m): 6:31am On Mar 04, 2012
wot z xpected of an engineer after graduatn z creativity.mst of diz big name universities in 9jeria atymz fall short of xpectatn wen it komz 2 bringin out d creativity in an engineer.i advice u 2 try schoolz lyk cross river university of technology coz it got it rise 4rm polytechnic wic z knwn 4 her practical nd theoritical prowess
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by kwizzy(m): 7:02am On Mar 04, 2012
@kadata the young man is sincerly saying the truth and all you do is to beef him,dats very bad of Ʊ.attend university to obatain ur certificates then strive to develop yourselves adequately in your choosen field of endeavour.who you are, matters most than the school Ʊ graduated from.‎​ have seen graduates of anambra state university coming tops in job apptitude tests.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by gokuu(m): 7:38am On Mar 04, 2012
If you don't have a STELLAR academic foothold, don't choose UNILAG. you'd be flushed out in no time.
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by gokuu(m): 7:40am On Mar 04, 2012
kayno-Jah:

For Civil: UNIBEN or UNN
Electrical:
Chemical: ESUT, UNILAG, UNIPORT
Petroleum: UI, FUTO
Electrical: ABU, OAU
Mechanical: ESUT, LASU & FUTA
FALLACY!
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by Talkwisdom(m): 8:07am On Mar 04, 2012
Chrisbenogor:

Permit me to say that Nigerian tertiary education is not much to write home about smiley but in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is still king.
First of all let us build the right parameters around your question, the truth like one poster already did here is that you make yourself in school. All this bravado and bragging about which is better or not is all subjective and it depends on what a person is looking out for.
Engineering has been so abused in this country that to a layman a mechanical engineer should be a mechanic, an electrical/electronics engineer should be an electrician but do not let yourself be fooled, there is a place for everyone.

Now lets get to the heart of your problem, whenever you are searching for a school what you look at is not the strength of the school in general but the strength of the department you want to go into, advanced countries like the US have those things mapped out already if you say you want to study engineering in general MIT comes to mind (that na if your brain carry oh, people like us wey get 5 mb nor dey even try am) but if you say specifically petroleum engineering then UT, Texas A&M and all that would come to mind.

Bringing it home, anyone who gives you a flat out name just because they attended the school is bull, you cannot know how good your school was if you do not have a another to compare it with, for all their name and popularity the schools in the west of Nigeria are not really known for their Engineering prowess (save for Unilag I think). To be honest with you generally engineering wise I would pick FUTO and most employers do. I have personally interacted with a lot of graduates from there and its not that I get the sense that their facilities are the best but some how at least the ones I have interacted with mostly know what they are doing. I finished from UNIPORT and I can easily tell you if you that the strongest Engineering department there is Mechanical Engineering (almost 5 profs here highest in engineering faculty)  which I finished from, they have got new young lecturers that would hopefully be up to date and not give you 1985 question papers as revision. This is  followed closely by Civil, the others are average and nothing spectacular, if you want less stress and the highest probability of finishing with a 2:1 then Petroleum engineering in Uniport is the key, their lecturers are lax and do not really hassle students. Electrical/Electronics is not bad but they lack good lecturers, they have got just one fast tracked professor  grin grin but he is the best damn lecturer in that whole university, unfortunately a tree cannot not make a forest, so stay clear. Chemical Eng, do not even go there unless you want to be assured of a 2:2 and nothing in your head afterwards. Environmental Eng, that one is also not strong at all, same as Gas Engineering, plenty of borrowed courses left and right no real lecturers.

Hopefully people in other schools would also give the strengths and weaknesses of their engineering faculties and you can pick better according to your strength and what you want afterwards in school. But in the very end its all up to you to make yourself something out of it.
hw good is FUTO in their Electrical/Electronics dept and their flaws if any?
Re: Which Nigerian University Is The Best To Study Engineering? by shafanik: 8:13am On Mar 04, 2012
In the first place, you didn't state the exact engineering course you want to study. Engineering has a lot of departments. Despite the fact that each of these departments. Fall under the same faculty, the performance of each department remains independent from others. You've therefore asked an ambiguous question. Take for instance, Lautech might have the best Computer Engineering department in Nigeria, but not in some other Engineering dept.
I will therefore advice you to take your time to ask, preferably, final year students of the exact Engineering course you want to study. Ask them so you won't be misled.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Good Private Secondary Schools Within The Lagos Metropolis. / Osun State University (UNIOSUN ) 2017/2018 Post UTME /admission Thread / How To Prepare A Lesson Plan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.