Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,033 members, 7,807,072 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:13 AM

Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! (4957 Views)

See Why Nysc Should Be Scrapped (photo) / JAMB 2016 Should Not Be Scrapped Or Remarked - See Why! / Parent's Reply To A Teacher's Comment On Child's School Report Card (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by iluvnaija: 3:57pm On Mar 05, 2012
The Parent Teachers Association (PTA) Fees should be scrapped because the way and manner school proprietors are using it to fraud students and pupils now is really calling for goverment concern. I would like the government (If they care) to react and investigate Schools demanding students to pay high PTA fees.

Share your thought!
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by Nobody: 5:10pm On Mar 05, 2012
The thing dey pain you?
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by iluvnaija: 5:14pm On Mar 05, 2012
Obviously we no get govt for this country!
School go just dey use PTA money they build another school. if you get four kids and u they pay 8k a year for one child times 4 equals 32k for PTA fees!
Haba!
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by iluvnaija: 5:19pm On Mar 05, 2012
School fees never dey there o! Just money for owner of school to take build branches. like 4 or 5 years ago PTA fees na =N=500 or =N=1000 but today na anoda way to scam pupils and students
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by GboyegaD(m): 5:24pm On Mar 05, 2012
I do not think the PTA achieves that much thus, schools should stop see it as a means of raising cheap funds and should reduce the fees. For a school that has about 600 students, N500 per term is even much as that amounts to N300k a term.
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by Okijajuju1(m): 5:25pm On Mar 05, 2012
If na state school, then yes!!

If na Private school, only the parents should have the right to fix the PTA levy not the schools admin.
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by iluvnaija: 5:48pm On Mar 05, 2012
I think govt should mandate the fee to be =N=1000 a year. Imagine school with 1000 students and pupils paying 8k a year, thats 8million naira.
That's a whole lot of money. What they normally do is share the money (8k) into 3 term so that you dont have to complain about it, but if you do the math, its outrageous!
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by Dsage1: 5:53pm On Mar 05, 2012
Its not too bad if d money realised ar used judiciously&not more dan #1000 per student.D reason is dat der ar many state schools dat ve been abandoned by d govt,no facilities,teachers ar not sufficient,no library,no laboratory etc.
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by guas: 5:58pm On Mar 05, 2012
This levy is mostly decided by both parties,find time in attending d meeting or revisit ur finding cos d money is sometime use wisely for d benefit of ur wards.
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by GboyegaD(m): 6:08pm On Mar 05, 2012
D sage:

Its not too bad if d money realised ar used judiciously¬ more dan #1000 per student.D reason is dat der ar many state schools dat ve been abandoned by d govt,no facilities,teachers ar not sufficient,no library,no laboratory etc.

The question is how judiciously have the funds raised being used so far Most government schools have over a 1000 students and each student paying N1000 a term implies that the school raises N1million per term which only gives room for more mismanagement of funds.

guas:

This levy is mostly decided by both parties,find time in attending d meeting or revisit ur finding cos d money is sometime use wisely for d benefit of ur wards.

The only benefit I have seen often times is the employment of PTA teachers who are not well paid and in one or 2 cases, a tokunbo bus once in 4years which is used in conveying teachers and wards of PTA Executives.
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by narttis1: 6:12pm On Mar 05, 2012
the most annoying thing is that only the teachers pay, teachers dont pay anything yet they call it PTA
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by Lollysbride: 6:17pm On Mar 05, 2012
Thank you for sharing and good luck with the thread.[img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by LEXYLOV: 7:04pm On Mar 05, 2012
@Op in some school the pta fund used to be properly managed, in which every inch of spending used to be well documented and proven. I have seen many like that. This fund also normally spend for school development programs or something emergency needs. It as been like that right from the beginning. undecided
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by damoskiy(m): 7:47pm On Mar 05, 2012
I know a school that has bought over 3 new coaster buses with this money nd their teachers pay some money as pta levy to develop the school.they are cureently building an hostel from that money with the support of the schoo.
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by tpia5: 1:54am On Mar 06, 2012
Why should it be scrapped?

It should just be used judiciously, that's all.
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by sunny2011: 7:14am On Mar 06, 2012
The ptf fees not undesireable. Iam only worried about d amount been mentioned here and the way the fund is managed. In my son's schl I pay #1000. So far so good the fund is administered by the executives made up of elected parents and the schl principal. Last year the pta bought a bus for the schl, in dec the teachers were given food stuffs as apprectn while last month all the children that did very well inlast year waec were honour with cash award.
With this parents are encouraged to pay, the fund is not mismanaged.
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by JahMan1: 8:08am On Mar 06, 2012
@iluvnaija,
Please don't be offended if I ask you some questions.

1.Do you attend PTA meetings? Because that is the reasonable place to argue and kick against the fees and if possible realize why it's being paid.
I must say that present-day parents are failing our nation/generation.I am an ex-officio member of a PTA of the school where my kids attend.I hear some disheartening things there. Ranging from parents not attending meetings or open-day to discuss the welfare of their wards, to even parents openly stating in a meeting that 'she' cannot sign homework book of her child because she never supervised it.Apparently the househelp should sign it.
I used to weep within me because I and my wife were caught up with d kind of work that never allowed us to see the faces of our kids more than 4 times a week.
My wife had to resign to take care of the kids.Yes,we had some financial constraint,but we were making the money to give the kids better life,while we were 'loosing' them to the cultures of the househelp,television,etc.

2.Is the school you are talking about a private school?Then attend meetings and address it.Public? then it is definitely an exploitation.

@All,
Our kids needs us more than they need toys,good clothes,holidays in all parts of the world,etc.If we do not give them time and inculcate in them the values we need,we might as well wake up one day to see that boko-haram is not far from our homes.

Do not stone me.

1 Like

Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by iluvnaija: 9:20am On Mar 06, 2012
@jahman
Attending PTA meetings has nothing to do with greedy proprietors who uses PTA fees as a means to collect huge money from parents. If you attend meeting and you disagree with the amount will not change their minds as long as they are greedy. Like somebody said on this thread only parents pay but teachers dont and they call it PTA.

I know of a school building branches every where now at the expense of parents. 4 years ago PTA was =N=500 a year but today =N=6000. Which parent whose child is in that school paying huge amount on school fees just because he is board member of PTA will now be bold to say he wants parents to start paying =N=6000 a year unless that parent does not work hard for his or her money. It is eather that parent is a politician, pastor or fraudstar.

@all
I think Govt should mandate it =N=1000 a year to all schools.
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by tpia5: 11:43am On Mar 06, 2012
N6000 per year isnt too much for PTA dues. In rich or middle class families, N6000 per month isnt too much either. The only problem i see is if a family is lower income and cant afford. If you're financially ok, then quit whining.

Like someone pointed out, attend meetings and table your concerns there if you have questions about how the money is being used.

I dont think the funds are available to be used anyhow like the poster is implying.
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by Easybaby(f): 12:52pm On Mar 06, 2012
I would like say that ALL private school owners are scammers. The are same as 419 and yahoo yahoo boys.
parents will pay school fees, PTA Levy, developement levy, and any work they want to carry out in that school students must pay.
Can you imagine the owners will connive with some committee members to fixed any amount so that their children (committee member) will be given scholarship in that school. if you challenge them during PTA meeting they labelled you enemy of progress angry angry angry.
I have witness so many cases like that, it is totally 419 in another form. There is 419 in every dealing in Nigeria , .Banks, Govt coy, private, churches, mosque etc , only JESUS will save us.

1 Like

Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by tpia5: 3:57pm On Mar 06, 2012
You people really need to stop ogling the cash flow of corporate bodies.

Its the height of joblessness.

From analyzing every penny a church spends to getting your greedy eyes on schools now.

Se ori yin o pe ni?

If you had the money, isnt it drugs and p.orn you'll spend it on?

Go and make your own even if it 's as a bus conductor.
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by tpia5: 8:18pm On Mar 06, 2012
i dont see any of the oglers asking armed robbers what they do with their loot?

its only the legitimate structures who really need the money and most times utilize it wisely, that you go after.
Re: Parent Teachers Association (pta) Fees Should Be Scrapped. Its A Fraud! by Bluffly: 9:26pm On Nov 06, 2020
guas:
It will basically but assets for the school, probably pay a temporary teacher and health

(1) (Reply)

Students Of ESUT Storm School In Convoy, Park Cars Where VC Was Meant To Pack / Things You Need To Know About National Open University / See What This Hausa Boy Posted On Facebook Concerning His Neco Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.