Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,898 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:26 AM

Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap (13717 Views)

Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) / Can Someone Help Me In Solving This Simultaneous Equation? / Solve This Maths Now And Win Instant N10,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 8:13pm On Mar 05, 2012
Hey guys, please i need the maths gurus in the house to help out with this problem, i know it is the simplest of all, but my head too rust to even think right now. infact there are two questions so enjoy!!!

1. Let's say you run a small retail shop in a shopping mall and you are considering whether or not you will stay open on a Saturday morning. You know that a customer on entering the store it likely to make a purchase of $10.00 or more 35% of the time. The remainder of the time they will look around and leave without making a purchase. Your shop draws about 15% of total shoppers on any given day. You also expect from information that you have gathered from mall sources that there are about 500 people in the mall on a Saturday morning. You know you need to have about $300.00 in revenue to cover expenses and profit for a half day on Saturday morning and the question is should you open the shop? ( What is the probability that at least 30 shoppers entering your store of the total will make a purchase of $10.00 or more?)

Let's ask a binomial question, folks. Let's say that you have flipped a coin 25 times and the results are Heads 15, Tails 10. What is the probability of obtaining a Tail on the next flip of the coin? That's one, now to what characteristics are present in a binomial process that ensures this result?

thanks guys.

2 Likes

Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 8:52pm On Mar 05, 2012
no mathematicians in the house?? Abeg na, make una save a soul oooo!!!! smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by MissIfe(f): 9:08pm On Mar 05, 2012
Ok, let me try that one, though my head is rusty too grin

1/ Your shop draws 15% of total customer on any given day, which make 0.15*500 = 75 customers on saturday mornings
Out of those 75 customers only 35% will make a purchase of 10$ or more, which means 75*0.35= 26.25 customers
therefore, statistically, you'd make a minimum of 26.25*10=262.25$ per saturday morning.
This is just under 300$, but this is a minimum (10$ or more) so you'd probably need to calculate it again with the average amount customers spend in the shop to know if you would make profit or not.

2/The probability is still 1/2, the previous "events" do not influence the result. In terms of probability, whether you flip a coin for the 150th time or the first time, there is always just 1/2 chance for it to show tail.

now, tell me, why those maths, ronke? wink

1 Like

Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by Knight1(m): 9:12pm On Mar 05, 2012
Mathematically speaking, grin, even tho i'm no (longer a) math guru, Answer to the first question is 87.5%.
Analysis :500 people (total shoppers) enter the mall per Saturday morning; and your shop draws 15% any given day therefore you'd have 15% of 500= 75 people.
Now 35% of those 75 people will make a purchase of 10 bucks or more hence which gives 26.5 people making the payment.

Now 26.5/30 (required) = 87.5% cool

But i'm no longer sure that's how probability is even calculated. it has tey grin grin grin grin
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 9:17pm On Mar 05, 2012
^^^^I thought as much too, but my Professor is so mean, that even you get the answers right, he will still make you think you are wrong. thanks Knight1, i am so copying and pasting,  smiley smiley smiley

but what can we say that the fractional probability is
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by softy(m): 9:36pm On Mar 05, 2012
let me try:
15% of 500 = 75
U need 30 ppl to make $300.00 within 35% of the total time u opened the shop, then the probability is (30/75 ) = 0.4
my final answer is 0.4
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by swisscash(m): 9:38pm On Mar 05, 2012
How do you seek to get help in d family section? You get better advise in the education board!
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by softy(m): 9:45pm On Mar 05, 2012
let me try:
15% of 500 = 75
U need 30 ppl to make $300.00 within 35% of the total time u opened the shop, then the probability is (30/75 ) = 0.4
my final answer is 0.4
remember dat probablity outcome is always less than 1.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by armyofone(m): 9:50pm On Mar 05, 2012
i'm so bookmarking this page Ronkebp. grin
lol and your ''so copying & pasting'' made me laugh bad bad
how are your courses going, i remember you doing MBA right?
i'm doing same  wink

Knight, thank you for helping. I will contact you with mine too, but hopefully i can solve mine grin
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 9:55pm On Mar 05, 2012
swisscash:

How do you seek to get help in d family section? You get better advise in the education board!

Wetin i for do naaa, tried that board tooo, it looks as if they are taking a nap there!!! so i was like let me try my personal people, asper some people would still remember the steps, na desperation oooo no be my fault. smiley smiley

armyofone:

i'm doing same wink

Knight, thank you for helping. I will contact you with mine too, but hopefully i can solve mine grin
My dear u can say that again, this na the last course for me oooo, i purposely left it to the last. i am going crazy, the proff imself is driving me nuts. I dey copy paste oooo, i can't fit to mod, say i dey find certificate. grin grin grin
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 9:58pm On Mar 05, 2012
softy:

let me try:
15% of 500 = 75
my final answer is 0.4

Softy you are right, the probability, has to be less than one. hmm, now i see two different answers, knight and softy, smiley smiley but the same concept,
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 1:12am On Mar 06, 2012
Miss_Ife:

1/ Your shop draws 15% of total customer on any given day, which make 0.15*500 = 75 customers on saturday mornings
Out of those 75 customers only 35% will make a purchase of 10$ or more, which means 75*0.35= 26.25 customers
therefore, statistically, you'd make a minimum of 26.25*10=262.25$ per saturday morning.
This is just under 300$, but this is a minimum (10$ or more) so you'd probably need to calculate it again with the average amount customers spend in the shop to know if you would make profit or not.

2/The probability is still 1/2, the previous "events" do not influence the result. In terms of probability, whether you flip a coin for the 150th time or the first time, there is always just 1/2 chance for it to show tail.

Miss Ife, wow am just seeinhg your response, thank you jare!!!! i will copy and paste your answer cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy, my dear it is for my programme oooo, i have to do statistics and i hate maths with a passion, i only cram formular and drop for the lecturer faa!!! but this analysis pass my power, that was why i was like let me reach out to every,
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by Knight1(m): 8:47am On Mar 06, 2012
armyofone:

i'm doing same  wink

loool, any body copying and pasting knight1's answer on statistics is purely on his/her own o!!!! grin grin grin grin

Cos i seem to remember having an "E" and "B" in the courses those days of engineering wink wink wink
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by MissIfe(f): 9:26am On Mar 06, 2012
ronkebp:

Miss Ife, wow am just seeinhg your response, thank you jare!!!! i will copy and paste your answer cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy, my dear it is for my programme oooo, i have to do statistics and i hate maths with a passion, i only cram formular and drop for the lecturer faa!!! but this analysis pass my power, that was why i was like let me reach out to every,

My post was hidden coz the spambot got mad at me spending too much time online instead of cleaning my house yesterday night and i've been banned for no reason at all grin

Anyway, good luck with your program, i'll be finishing my own in a few months and just can't waaaaaiiiit !
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by blank(f): 10:26am On Mar 06, 2012
So you have two answers, 0.4 and 0.87? Which will it be.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by Nobody: 10:33am On Mar 06, 2012
I am the last person you should be asking for help re mathematics. I turned down an admission in nigeria to study engineering because I sucked in maths and physics but was good in biology and chemistry hence my profession.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by blank(f): 11:06am On Mar 06, 2012
I have done the calculation and the answer is 0.4 or 40%.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by member479760: 12:29pm On Mar 06, 2012
Even if your math is right in practical it will not work, just ask yaself what are you selling in the first place that will make your math work? are you selling what people want on Saturday morning that will make people enter your shop and buy?
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by softy(m): 2:10pm On Mar 06, 2012
and for ur 2nd question, remember that probability trick on COIN is always Head or Tail, which is always half as rightly said here above me. When u tossed the coin 25 times and u got 15 Heads = 15/25 = 0.6 or 60% of ur total outcomes, while Tails equals 0.4 or 40%.
Therefore,the next toss of the coin would be 26th time, and getting Tail = 11/26 = 0.423 or 42.3% while getting the Head would be 0.577 or 57.7% = 15/26.
Tossing 25 or 26 times is a definite outcomes, while getting Heads or Tails is uncertained or what u are not sure of !
My final answer is 0.423 or 42.3%.
Thanks.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by blank(f): 2:31pm On Mar 06, 2012
These are the characteristics of a binomial process to toss an unbiased coin:

1. Each outcome must be classified as a success (p) or a failure (r),
2. The probability distribution is discrete.
3. Each trial is independent and therefore the probability of success and the probability of failure is the same for each trial.

Can't remember the rest but i think there are 6 of them.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by minimynimo(m): 2:34pm On Mar 06, 2012
Miss_Ife:

Excellent,
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by yemmyma: 3:08pm On Mar 06, 2012
@Op

Mathematics is about interpretation. From your question, Miss_Ife has given you the best answer taking into consideration all the data you provided. Her answer was in %

But if you look at the other option we have as an answer by soft which gave 0.4, he was only calculating in terms of probability without taking considering the $10.

So you go with the one that best answer your question.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by aginamuk: 3:15pm On Mar 06, 2012
blank:

3. Each trial is independent and therefore the probability of success and the probability of failure is the same for each trial.

GBAM! E.g. The probability of getting all heads in ten filps of an unbiased coin is 1/2^10 = 1/1024 but if you get heads nine times, the probability of the tenth flip being heads is just half i.e. 1/2. Each particular outcome is independent of the previous.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 3:18pm On Mar 06, 2012
Thank you guys, thank you for your help, i just carried ''Miss-Ife's reply to the lecturer although i added my own ajasa to it.

Asper the 1st question, i definitely would not open the shop because if i am making $ 262. as opposed to the $300.00 i would be needing to pay for expenses and revenue for half a day, then full day would be about $600.00 and if the shop attracts only 15% of the 500 customers for any given day, then i will be making $262. and some change for the whole day, therefore the business would be more in a loss than making profit.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by softy(m): 3:19pm On Mar 06, 2012
@blank,   I   appreciate   ur   sense   of   calculation,   u   know,   its  been   long,   ur   post on   the   probability   on  the   toss   coins  forced me   back  to   reading   it  all   over   again   on  internet   now,   ur   answer  is   logically   correct,   it  is 1/2   irrespective  of  number  of  times  u got  it  tossed,  but  as  for  the first question,   i am  still holding on to  my  0.4  as my final answer
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 3:19pm On Mar 06, 2012
blank:

Thank you Blank, did you google this up, because na so i give the lecturer word for word, comma for comma smiley smiley smiley smiley thank you again.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by blank(f): 3:25pm On Mar 06, 2012
grin

Yep
Remember to always use your plagiarism checker.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 3:33pm On Mar 06, 2012
jennykadry:

I am the last person you should be asking for help re mathematics. I turned down an admission in nigeria to study engineering because I sucked in maths and physics but was good in biology and chemistry hence my profession.

So you go school?? i no know oooo!!! smiley smiley smiley smiley

I hate maths hen!!!, now i loathe physics, i can manage chemistry,, ihad to drop sciences because of my physics teacher, the worst teacher in the whole universe, instead of teaching, he would be preaching,
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by jaybee3(m): 3:36pm On Mar 06, 2012
^^
Maths ain't that bad ya know.
If you can master maths then physics ain't gonna be a problem
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by softy(m): 3:38pm On Mar 06, 2012
oooooooooooh   my   gosh,   I   need   to   go back   to   class   of   mathematics   ASAP!!!, lol.
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by joelala(m): 3:50pm On Mar 06, 2012
wow am so impressed to see this topic filled with intellectual peeps, and closing up without a single insult or abusive word. wish all trend could be as healthy as this. smiley
Re: Pls I Need Help In Solving This Maths Probs: Asap by ronkebp(f): 4:17pm On Mar 06, 2012
jay bee:

^^
Maths ain't that bad ya know.
If you can master maths then physics ain't gonna be a problem

I know jare, i am more of an art/ business person, and seeing maths cropping up under a disguise ''statistics'' is making me have goose bumps all over. cool cool cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jamb Direct Entry/nysc Regularization Meaning, Procedures And Deadline / Problems And Solutions Of Nigeria / SEE How This Beautiful Girl Was Humiliated In Public [photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.