Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,490 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:27 PM

Is 2pac Overrated? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is 2pac Overrated? (4976 Views)

Is 2pac Dead Or Alive? Proof Of New Song / Top 20 Reasons Why 2pac Is Alive / Tupac (2Pac) Is Alive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is 2pac Overrated? by ifyclose2(m): 6:35pm On Mar 06, 2012
Now, there's no doubt that 2pac is one of the greatest rappers ever in my opinion. But I've heard a lot of hip-hop fans say he's overrated. Certainly, 2pac could tell a touching story through his rhymes. But did he possess the lyrical dexterity of the likes of KRS One, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Nas, The Notorious BIG, Jay-Z, Canibus, Jadakiss, LL Cool J, Eminem, Immortal Technique, Guru of Gangstarr, etc?

Now many argue that "death makes you bigger", and that 2pac would not be this respected if he were still alive. Certainly, they may have a point there. Honestly, I respect 2pac, but I've listened to a lot of other rappers MORE than I've listened to 2pac (eg Jay-Z, Nas, DMX, Eminem, 50 Cent).

What do you guys think? Does 2pac deserve ALL the props he gets from his DIE-HARD fans who continue to insist that he's the GREATEST OF ALL TIME?

What are your thoughts?
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by shadrach77: 6:56pm On Mar 06, 2012
i'm not too much into rap but i think tupac was quite good, though i'm not too sure if he's over-rated, one thing is for sure, if he didn't die he wouldn't be as popular as he is now. he's death gave him the iconic status. Same goes for Dagrin, he was good, but there are many rappers after him who are equally good if not better Dharsaw, Olamide etc but death has bestowed on him, an iconic nature which others might find a bit hard so shake off grin grin grin
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by Nobody: 8:11am On Mar 07, 2012
@op

are you just fresh out from the Village?
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by BabaEleko(m): 11:00am On Mar 07, 2012
When did you even start listening to hip hop? How old are u sef? I wish i could see u to smack the shIt outta your face right now.
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by Jbols2001(m): 6:36am On Mar 08, 2012
@Baba_eleko, Nice 1. becos this is pure hiphop blasphemy.
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by deloon(m): 1:02pm On Mar 08, 2012
@OP. U dey furk up. Which kin yeye question be this? angry So you wan compare all this bling bling rappers with the realest nigga who held it down for the streets?
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by apalemighty(m): 11:28pm On Mar 08, 2012
Re: Is 2pac Overrated?
« #4 on: Today at 06:36:48 AM »
@Baba_eleko, Nice 1. becos this is pure
hiphop blasphemy.

U be fool, there isnt nd wud neva be a rapper lik 2pac. Wen you talk rap, without him, dat blasphamin
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by apalemighty(m): 11:47pm On Mar 08, 2012
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]2pac for life
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by Ybutterfly: 6:45am On Mar 09, 2012
^^^^^yyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by ifyclose2(m): 9:17am On Mar 09, 2012
diluminati:

@op

are you just fresh out from the Village?
No i'm fresh out from your mother's V-A-G-I-N-A

Baba_Eleko:

When did you even start listening to hip hop? How old are u sef? I wish i could see u to smack the poo outta your face right now.
Shut up f-a-g-g-o-t, when i started listening 2 hip-hop, you were still in KINDERAGARTEN, hiding in the girls toilet 2 catch a glimpse of an innocent classmates' G-E-N-I-T-A-L-S, 2pac was a good rapper no doubt, but there are several elements of hip-hop which he didn't possess, for example PUNCHLINES AND METAPHORS, the New York rappers always deliver this to the fullest, that's why i respect them, to say 2pac is the greatest might be going a little too far.

deloon:

@OP. U dey furk up. Which kin yeye question be this? angry So you wan compare all this bling bling rappers with the realest nigga who held it down for the streets?
None of the rappers i just mentioned is "BLING BLING", sure, some of them are rich, but they are also fantastic lyricists, if u wanna talk about BLING BLING rappers, you're talking about people like Nelly, Baby of Cash Money, Gucci Mane, Lil Jon, Mike Jones, Chingy, Master P, Soulja Boy, Plies and other WACK rappers.
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by BabaEleko(m): 2:07pm On Mar 09, 2012
^^^^Whoever pay attention to this clown himself is a Zulu.
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by fubbyy(m): 3:09pm On Mar 09, 2012
The poster asked a very gud question and y'all are here beefing him, the truth is that tupac was a bit overrted because death makes you bigger,he's my favourite though but lyrically nas is better than pac till christ comes back,biggie had punch lines more than pac but 2pac is this big because he was on top of the game when he died just like dagrin was,come to think of it when pac was alive many of y'all didnt know him
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by ifyclose2(m): 3:12pm On Mar 09, 2012
Baba_Eleko:

^^^^Whoever pay attention to this clown himself is a Zulu.
Well, in that case, you're the zulu, because you've paid attention to this thread by posting TWICE, you probably belong 2 d new generation of UNEXPOSED hip-hop listeners, you've probably never heard of names like GRANDMASTER FLASH, RAKIM, COOL MOE DEE, KRS ONE, PUBLIC ENEMY, NWA, ETC, your favourite rapper right now is probably Soulja Boy, cos your brain is as WACK as his.
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by baslone: 3:20pm On Mar 09, 2012
D.R.U.G.S!!!!!!!! shocked
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by ifyclose2(m): 3:44pm On Mar 09, 2012
fubbyy:

The poster asked a very gud question and y'all are here beefing him, the truth is that tupac was a bit overrted because death makes you bigger,he's my favourite though but lyrically nas is better than pac till christ comes back,biggie had punch lines more than pac but 2pac is this big because he was on top of the game when he died just like dagrin was,come to think of it when pac was alive many of y'all didnt know him
Thank you my brother. Finally, SOMEONE WITH A BRAIN!. I'm not trying 2 discredit 2pac in any way, he is still BY FAR one of my favourite rappers of all time. I simply asked a question, and asked for PUBLIC OPINION, just d same way a JOURNALIST would. Then people started talking RUBBISH. That's why they keep failing JAMB and WAEC. They don't read the question PROPERLY before giving an answer. I was simply seeking d opinion of everyone on in d issue of WHETHER OR NOT 2PAC IS OVERRATED, simple English language! Pity!
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by BabaEleko(m): 4:06pm On Mar 09, 2012
Fart on thread and slam the door!
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by shadrach77: 8:03pm On Mar 09, 2012
ifyclose2:

Thank you my brother. Finally, SOMEONE WITH A BRAIN!. I'm not trying 2 discredit 2pac in any way, he is still BY FAR one of my favourite rappers of all time. I simply asked a question, and asked for PUBLIC OPINION, just d same way a JOURNALIST would. Then people started talking RUBBISH. That's why they keep failing JAMB and WAEC. They don't read the question PROPERLY before giving an answer. I was simply seeking d opinion of everyone on in d issue of WHETHER OR NOT 2PAC IS OVERRATED, simple English language! Pity!
aren't you biased? i made the same observation this guy made in my earlier post and you had nothing to say about it and someone repeats what i said then you go, 'someone with brain'. Tupac is slightly overrrated because of his death. Personally, i never knew him until after his death. Same goes for Dagrin. Like i stated above, i believe Dharsaw, Olamide are better than Dagrin. The only thing Tupac has which other rappers do not have (with the exception of DMX and 50 cent) is his voice. A gangster rapper needs to have a slightly rough, street voice and other rappers, may have better lyrics but they don't have the same kind of voice  wink cheesy grin angry
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by Davidbanky(m): 8:18pm On Mar 09, 2012
Don't mind him jooor , 2pac sang for pple like em , Those who wish to follow ♏ξ , I welcome wit my hands , He no force Ʊ abeg
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by olashas(f): 10:47pm On Mar 09, 2012
I find it shocking that any1 can compare 2pac with rappers like JayZ. Unlike other rappers who rap about getting money,women and drugs, 2pac dedicated most of his lyrics to the problems faced by blacks in the early 90's. That is why u would feel the passion,emotions and pain that flow from his lyrics. @ op, get ur shitz together b4 u jump to fucking conclusions. angry
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by BabaEleko(m): 1:25am On Mar 10, 2012
shadrach77:

aren't you biased? i made the same observation this guy made in my earlier post and you had nothing to say about it and someone repeats what i said then you go, 'someone with brain'. Tupac is slightly overrrated because of his death. Personally, i never knew him until after his death. Same goes for Dagrin. Like i stated above, i believe Dharsaw, Olamide are better than Dagrin. T[b]he only thing Tupac has which other rappers do not have  (with the exception of DMX and 50 cent) is his voice.[/b] A gangster rapper needs to have a slightly rough, street voice and other rappers, may have better lyrics but they don't have the same kind of voice  wink cheesy grin angry

You knew Pac after his death?? Really Where was u when "Me against the world", "All eyez on me" and other classic album were dropping like bombs? Where was u when ur favorite rapper's label won't drop their album until after pac has sold out? Where was u when the West/East coast beef was causing war on the street of lagos and various secondary skools? You are here talking poo while ur so called fav rapper, 50cent et all are getting tupac tattooed on their body. I advise u to leave this thread before real hiphop head like tosinadeda come and finish ur life. Besides, how old is this Zombie self
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by lagcity(m): 2:21am On Mar 10, 2012
I don't think death made pac popular. His All Eyes On Me album sold 6 million copies b4 he died. And that's a double CD which is more expensive.
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by ifyclose2(m): 3:58am On Mar 10, 2012
olashas:

I find it shocking that any1 can compare 2pac with rappers like JayZ. Unlike other rappers who rap about getting money,women and drugs, 2pac dedicated most of his lyrics to the problems faced by blacks in the early 90's. That is why u would feel the passion,emotions and pain that flow from his lyrics. @ op, get ur shitz together b4 u jump to bleeping conclusions. angry
Make i hear word! Jay-Z is one of d greatest ever, and also d most consistent rapper of all time, take it or leave it. Go listen 2 THE BLUEPRINT & be educated. That's a 5 mic classic.
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by Nobody: 8:07am On Mar 10, 2012
@ poster, Tupac is not overrated! I love Tupac. He was so smart and genious for his age and time!! Tupac was not over rated!
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by Nobody: 9:01am On Mar 10, 2012
Anyone who thinks Pac is over-rated is clearly not a hip-hop fan.
Anyone who goes ahead to try to justify that position needs mental help.
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by iykay4455(m): 10:58am On Mar 10, 2012
Can't you people make intelligent arguments without insulting the poster?@poster, tupac(2pac) is not over rated.He was very good
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by baslone: 12:40pm On Mar 10, 2012
ifyclose2:

Make i hear word! Jay-Z is one of d greatest ever, and also d most consistent rapper of all time, take it or leave it. Go listen 2 THE BLUEPRINT & be educated. That's a 5 mic classic.

That's an insult!!!

What's the big deal about a 5 mic ? Bun B, TCQ, Dela soul, EPMD, Mobb Deep,
Scarface, Fugees and lots of rappers hold 5mic! Me against the world and All eyez on
me are also 5mic classics.

Is he lyrically better than mosdef, Cassidy, Eminem, Raekwon, Rakim and a lot more rappers

So what? abegggii!!!!
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by montelik(m): 2:13pm On Mar 10, 2012
If death over-rated Pac then it did d same for BIG.
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Mar 10, 2012
ifyclose2:

You obviously don't know your hip-hop very well.
Jay-Z's finest work artistically till date remains Reasonable Doubt from 96.Check your sources.Every hip-hop head knows Jay is recycling material/concepts from that very classic till this day,even on the said Blueprint, which in itself is also a very good album.But Reasonable Doubt is his finest work.
Look how inferior he sounds to Biggie on "I Love the Dough".
Jay-Z's longevity doesn't make him the greatest either.PAC was around for 5-6 years and shook up the genre.To me the only other people he was peers with we're Biggie and Nas.Nas destroyed Jay while they had their beef.Jay is just smart enough to remain relevant in the game today but G.O.A.T.?Not Jay-Z.
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by fubbyy(m): 2:58pm On Mar 10, 2012
Now i know y'all aint real hiphop heads,the poster was right,pac is a bit over rated because of his death and he was ontop of the game when he died,even pac knew that rakim was better than him but the truth is that he had street credibility,attitude and he made hiphop more talked about by the life style he attached to it, but musically many were better than him then, be it in mind that who ever that dies must be over rated, my extented cousin mc-loph was in no position in 9ja music industry but imidiately he died the whole nation startd hearing about him and his song started banging in wazobia f.M which i remember when he had 2 plead with them till they play it once in a week,i met dagrin in festac, he wasnt all that big but when he died i was suprise to see that same dagrin bein paid homage by the whole nation even the eastern part of naija that didnt know him,ojukwu was big but bigger when he died,even when my elder sister died their lecturer said she was her best student(which i know she wasnt) so 2pac was one of the reallest mc's but he was over rated just because of his death,if he's still alive you and i would'nt have been givin him all this glory, but pac remain my best of all time but i gotta say the truth
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by mikuz(m): 3:21pm On Mar 10, 2012
@op,
you are on point abeg.
For me Lyricswise 2pac is not better than Nas or Eminem.
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by ifyclose2(m): 7:01pm On Mar 10, 2012
StarBoard:

Anyone who thinks Pac is over-rated is clearly not a hip-hop fan.
Anyone who goes ahead to try to justify that position needs mental help.
You're nothing but a hip-hop OLODO

baslone:

That's an insult!!!

What's the big deal about a 5 mic ? Bun B, TCQ, Dela soul, EPMD, Mobb Deep,
Scarface, Fugees and lots of rappers hold 5mic! Me against the world and All eyez on
me are also 5mic classics.

Is he lyrically better than mosdef, Cassidy, Eminem, Raekwon, Rakim and a lot more rappers

So what? abegggii!!!!

Jay-Z is one of d greatest ever. Take it or leave it.

StarBoard:

You obviously don't know your hip-hop very well.
Jay-Z's finest work artistically till date remains Reasonable Doubt from 96.Check your sources.Every hip-hop head knows Jay is recycling material/concepts from that very classic till this day,even on the said Blueprint, which in itself is also a very good album.But Reasonable Doubt is his finest work.
Look how inferior he sounds to Biggie on "I Love the Dough".
Jay-Z's longevity doesn't make him the greatest either.PAC was around for 5-6 years and shook up the genre.To me the only other people he was peers with we're Biggie and Nas.Nas destroyed Jay while they had their beef.Jay is just smart enough to remain relevant in the game today but G.O.A.T.?Not Jay-Z.
I never said THE BLUEPRINT was artistically superior to REASONABLE DOUBT. And I certainly never said Jay is d greatest. I said he is ONE OF d greatest. And about recycling materials from reasonable doubt, I laugh at that baseless allegation.

fubbyy:

Now i know y'all aint real hiphop heads,the poster was right,pac is a bit over rated because of his death and he was ontop of the game when he died,even pac knew that rakim was better than him but the truth is that he had street credibility,attitude and he made hiphop more talked about by the life style he attached to it, but musically many were better than him then, be it in mind that who ever that dies must be over rated, my extented cousin mc-loph was in no position in 9ja music industry but imidiately he died the whole nation startd hearing about him and his song started banging in wazobia f.M which i remember when he had 2 plead with them till they play it once in a week,i met dagrin in festac, he wasnt all that big but when he died i was suprise to see that same dagrin bein paid homage by the whole nation even the eastern part of naija that didnt know him,ojukwu was big but bigger when he died,even when my elder sister died their lecturer said she was her best student(which i know she wasnt) so 2pac was one of the reallest mc's but he was over rated just because of his death,if he's still alive you and i would'nt have been givin him all this glory, but pac remain my best of all time but i gotta say the truth
Well-spoken my guy. If 2pac were still alive, these people WOULD NOT be giving him all these praises.
Re: Is 2pac Overrated? by ifyclose2(m): 7:30pm On Mar 10, 2012
mikuz:

@op,
you are on point abeg.
For me Lyricswise 2pac is not better than Nas or Eminem.
GBAM!!!
[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMHm7m-qN2E[/flash]

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Wk3Cv02oQ[/flash]

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcUIyscx8r0[/flash]

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JZom_gVfuw&ob=av2e[/flash]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Is Your Best American Rapper- Drake, Eminem Or Lilwayne? / Is Tuface The Most Featured Artist In Naija? / VIDEO: Qdot – Wo!! (refix Cover) [DOWNLOAD]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.