Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,882 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:28 AM

Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate (6196 Views)

Billboard War In Lagos As PDP Candidate Clips Campaign Advert With APC- Pictured / Obasanjo’s Refusal To Endorse Buhari Troubles APC / Assault: Benin Monarch Curses Task Force Chief! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by Abagworo(m): 1:20am On Mar 07, 2012
Leaders of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Edo State were yesterday disappointed after the Benin monarch, Oba Erediauwa, refused to endorse their candidate, Maj-Gen Charles Airhiavbere.

PDP state Chairman Dan Orbih led party faithful to the palace to seek royal blessings.

A palace chief, Amos Osunbor, who prayed on behalf of the monarch, did not pray for the PDP candidate but prayed that God should give the state a governor who will turn Benin to a modern city and provideinfrastructure.

The PDP leaders felt that the prayer should have been for their candidate.

Orbih told the Benin monarch that the PDP dug deep to pick someone who he said "can provide services for the people."

He said: "We find him dependable. He has respect for our elders, traditions and a burning passion to serve.

"We are concerned about the high taxation and demolition of houses. This is not the dream of our state."

But the Benin monarch interrupted him, saying: "I will not allow you to use my palace as a soap box."

Airhiavbere said the state needs rapid development and change. He requested for royal blessings.

Oba Erediauwa said: "I started watching you on television. I will continue watching you on television."

But Orbih said the party did not visit the monarch for an endorsement.

"We visited him for a royal blessing."

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/38953-benin-monarch-refuses-to-endorse-pdp-candidate.html
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by Bawss1(m): 9:35am On Mar 07, 2012
This is interesting, it probably goes to show the regard (or lack of) which the Edo people have for PDP. They will have a hard time unseating Oshiomole.
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by Demdem(m): 10:16am On Mar 07, 2012
Smart Oba. The same Oba lampooned a minister in his palace sometime ago about the state of Ore-Benin road.
More Obas like this are needed in our society. Long live the Oba.
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by yemmight(m): 10:52am On Mar 07, 2012
This is the real Kabiesi. Thank you sir.
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by Baawaa(m): 1:50pm On Mar 07, 2012
Bye Bye to PDP in Edo,I love the King for this.The King said the PDP candidate his a TV Governor grin grin grin
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by agitator: 1:55pm On Mar 07, 2012
Is it Monarchs that do the selection of governors now? nothing you won't see in naija
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by ushafe(m): 2:06pm On Mar 07, 2012
OBA EREDIAWA, OMO OBA N EDO UKU OPOLOPOLO. Is highly respect than any chief in nigeria.
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by Baawaa(m): 2:06pm On Mar 07, 2012
Is it Monarchs that do the selection of governors now? nothing you won't see in naija
A worthy King still have says over his people,not King like Alake of Egba land that Daniel disgraced because of what he want to eat grin grin
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by Nobody: 2:12pm On Mar 07, 2012
The Oba of Benin is one of the few credible Traditional rulers in Nigeria today. He is also amongst those that stayed away from Aso Rock when the others like Ooni of Ife went to pay Abacha solidarity visits and endorse him as the only person that can rule Nigeria.
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by tit(f): 2:12pm On Mar 07, 2012
These Nigerians do not know what they want : monarchy or democracy?
In his best interests, the oba should have blessed all candidates who come to him, and like a good referee add : may the best man win.
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by LEXYLOV: 2:20pm On Mar 07, 2012
Respected King may you live forever. We don't want PDP anymore we are tired of anything PDP or his associate. They are Nigeria epidermic embarassed
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by Nobody: 2:22pm On Mar 07, 2012
PDP Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ S̴̩☺̩ repulsive, ℓ̊  was shocked this morning when ℓ̊  saw Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ PDP visit with their unpopular candidate. ℓ̊  can't believe after Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ media publicity by Barr. Ken Imasuagbon, they ditched him. Very heartless party. They aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ definitely not ready to conquer Edo-which of course Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇  blessing to Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ man ☺ƞ Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ street.
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by MaxNdu: 2:27pm On Mar 07, 2012
You will know a true King when you see and hear the acts of one. Oba of Benin has shown He is the only Oba with self-respect and that cannot be easily bought-over with fraud and falsehood, long live Oba of Benin!!!!
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by kokoA(m): 2:34pm On Mar 07, 2012
No right thinking human being will endorse a PDP candidate for any election. grin
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by Nobody: 2:40pm On Mar 07, 2012
tit:

These Nigerians do not know what they want : monarchy or democracy?
In his best interests, the oba should have blessed all candidates who come to him, and like a good referee add : may the best man win.

Is the Oba INEC?. What makes him a referee? Seems you did not read the article before falling down to make comments. He prayed that GOD should give the state a good Governor. Is that not enough?
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by kunlej2: 3:01pm On Mar 07, 2012
tv govenor! he must have offend the oba or her council
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by nelsonehi: 3:12pm On Mar 07, 2012
It is a wellcome development from our greath oba of benin.it will be wise for other king or emire to emulate the footstep of oba of benin.he has once again prove it that palace should not be use as an office to political torgs and criminals
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by Olalekan0(m): 3:22pm On Mar 07, 2012
The Oba was probably angry because the PDP candidate did not seek his consent/blessing before going on T.V. He feels he should be the first person to get wind of the man's political ambition,that way,he can claim to have installed him when and if the PDP candidate wins. According to the Oba "i started watching you on Tv and i'll continue to watch you on Tv.

This Obas are always wanting to be needlessly relevant!

The Obas in Oyo state were partly responsible for akala's below par performance and am sure they won't allow Ajumobi fare any better than his predecessor! Watch Out!
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by samstradam: 3:35pm On Mar 07, 2012
The Oba of Benin has consistently proven to be the only prominent traditional ruler in the South that treats his position with the utmost seriousness, sincerity, pride,honour and dignity it deserves.

May God help us to realize in time the importance of having more serious people holding positions of relevance in our traditional establishments. Hopefully this will save them from the impending de-establishment fervor the actions of the majority titled buffoonery have encouraged.
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by cheikh: 3:45pm On Mar 07, 2012
MaxNdu
You will know a true King when you see and hear the acts of one. Oba of Benin has shown He is the only Oba with self-respect and that cannot be easily bought-over with fraud and falsehood, long live Oba of Benin!!!!

@^^ Gbam!! That's the hallmark of a true imperial monarch with overwhelming power and majesty. There are none like him in Nigeria today. Those who do not like it can go and hug transformer.
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by Olalekan0(m): 3:48pm On Mar 07, 2012
I'll love to know whether or not the Oba gave the same hostile reception to earstwhile PDP governors;Lucky Igbinedion and Prof.Osunbor!
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by merengue: 3:52pm On Mar 07, 2012
FIFIY GBOSAS!!!! for the Oba of Benin, he has shown good sense unlike the rest of the greedy, fat, useless dogs called traditional rulers (e.g Ooni of Ife).
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by naptu2: 3:59pm On Mar 07, 2012
The Oba did precisely what he is supposed to do and what he has always done (for example, during the Lucky Igbinedion saga). Traditional rulers are seen as "father of all" and are not expected to take sides or endorse any candidate.
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by HighChief4(m): 4:02pm On Mar 07, 2012
An Yoruba Oba would have easily collected money and endorse him. Nice one Omo N'Oba!!!
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by dayokanu(m): 4:09pm On Mar 07, 2012
ACN owns Edo
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by dmainboss: 5:01pm On Mar 07, 2012
Not a good move at all. A traditional rular must be politically neutral. Once you start to get involve in politics, you are gone. This is the main reason SE and SW obas don't have any respect again. I grew up in Benin and am saddened by this news. This is the beginning of his troubles. The same politicians that clap for him today will be the same peeps that will sell him out. By this action, he has just brought himself to their level
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by PhysicsQED(m): 5:27pm On Mar 07, 2012
Olalekan 0:

The Oba was probably angry because the PDP candidate did not seek his consent/blessing before going on T.V. He feels he should be the first person to get wind of the man's political ambition,that way,he can claim to have installed him when and if the PDP candidate wins. According to the Oba "i started watching you on Tv and i'll continue to watch you on Tv.

This Obas are always wanting to be needlessly relevant!

The Obas in Oyo state were partly responsible for akala's below par performance and am sure they won't allow Ajumobi fare any better than his predecessor! Watch Out!

Are you insane? This post is so dumb I'm at a loss for words.

dmainboss:

Not a good move at all. A traditional rular must be politically neutral. Once you start to get involve in politics, you are gone. This is the main reason SE and SW obas don't have any respect again. I grew up in Benin and am saddened by this news. This is the beginning of his troubles. The same politicians that clap for him today will be the same peeps that will sell him out. By this action, he has just brought himself to their level

What happened is the perfect example of remaining politically neutral. If he had given them his blessing, I have no doubt that they would have tried to spin it to make it seem like they had a special royal endorsement. That's how politicians are.
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by Nobody: 5:38pm On Mar 07, 2012
Make oba let person hear word abeg! He always support whoeva is in power because of d 10million monthly palace upkeep he gets! Who is foolin who? i
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by dmainboss: 6:05pm On Mar 07, 2012
PhysicsQED:

What happened is the perfect example of remaining politically neutral. If he had given them his blessing, I have no doubt that they would have tried to spin it to make it seem like they had a special royal endorsement. That's how politicians are.

I dont agree that it was a neutral move. It looks like an endorsement for Oshiomole. The Oba can have his preference of candidate because he is still an individual with choices, but I know what I am saying when I tell you he should be neutral. The Oba has always had ways to let people know who he supports.

People can come on here and shout their throats out in support just because they like Oshiomole but the truth is that most of the people posting here have no clue of politics. They say PDP is this and that, but they have no clue. All the members of PDP during Lucky's time are now in the ACN with Oshiomole. Does it mean they are different people now? They are certainly one and the same. Even Lucky is one of the biggest backers of Oshiomole. Everyone in Edo state knows that. Lucky's father is eating steadily from Oshiomole's government. Nothing has really changed. The only difference between Oshiomole and Lucky is that the latter has embarked on some good projects while Lucky did nothing for 8 years and just threw parties around. But in terms of eating the state dry, nothing much has changed. But dont forget that while Lucky was throwing parties for 8 years, another PDP governor, Donald Duke was developing his state. The point is that it is not a PDP or ACN issue. It is the issue of bad Nigerian politicians, no matter the party. During that same 8 years, Tinubu was eating Lagos to the bone. His massive wealth today attests to that.

Oshiomole is a good politician, I must give that to him. He has done a lot of settlement including settling the Oba seriously. Again he has to do that because he is from a very minority tribe and without that, he has no chance. But the bottom line for the Oba is, when you start to engage in politics, you are setting yourself up for a big downfall. He should have just wished everyone well and act as a neutral father
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by EMANY01(m): 6:40pm On Mar 07, 2012
dmainboss:

I dont agree that it was a neutral move. It looks like an endorsement for Oshiomole. The Oba can have his preference of candidate because he is still an individual with choices, but I know what I am saying when I tell you he should be neutral. The Oba has always had ways to let people know who he supports.

People can come on here and shout their throats out in support just because they like Oshiomole but the truth is that most of the people posting here have no clue of politics. They say PDP is this and that, but they have no clue. All the members of PDP during Lucky's time are now in the ACN with Oshiomole. Does it mean they are different people now? They are certainly one and the same. Even Lucky is one of the biggest backers of Oshiomole. Everyone in Edo state knows that. Lucky's father is eating steadily from Oshiomole's government. Nothing has really changed. The only difference between Oshiomole and Lucky is that the latter has embarked on some good projects while Lucky did nothing for 8 years and just threw parties around. But in terms of eating the state dry, nothing much has changed. But dont forget that while Lucky was throwing parties for 8 years, another PDP governor, Donald Duke was developing his state. The point is that it is not a PDP or ACN issue. It is the issue of bad Nigerian politicians, no matter the party. During that same 8 years, Tinubu was eating Lagos to the bone. His massive wealth today attests to that.

Oshiomole is a good politician, I must give that to him. He has done a lot of settlement including settling the Oba seriously. Again he has to do that because he is from a very minority tribe and without that, he has no chance. But the bottom line for the Oba is, when you start to engage in politics, you are setting yourself up for a big downfall. He should have just wished everyone well and act as a neutral father

I agree with the views of the writer above if the Oba steps into the slippery slopes of partisan politics he has no idea where it will lead him.
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by PhysicsQED(m): 7:03pm On Mar 07, 2012
dmainboss:

"Settling the Oba"? You started off coherent, but then degenerated into spouting nonsense. You even brought up the governor who initiated the failed (from inception) Tinapa project as an example of good governance. Any governor anywhere is better than Lucky Igbinedion regardless of party affiliation, so that's not even relevant.

I can't comprehend how "wishing everyone well" (neutral) is better than "wishing that Edo state get a good governor" (neutral). The latter is clearly better than the former and just as neutral.

There was no expression of support for Oshiomhole or ACN in those statements.

The problem here is assuming that any possible pre-existing support for Oshiomhole as a performing governor is equivalent to some sort of political orientation towards ACN and against PDP.
Re: Benin Monarch Refuses To Endorse Pdp Candidate by dmainboss: 7:10pm On Mar 07, 2012
^^^You probably live in Lagos and know nothing of Nigeria. Donald Duke is the most visionary governor Nigeria has ever produced since Independence. If you dont know that, its your bad. That the present governor is farking it up is not his business. He has done his part. Calabar is about the most lovely place in Nigeria. Lagos is shyte were calabar is

(1) (2) (Reply)

22 Nigerians Arrested For Fraud In The US / I Will Challenge Buhari Victory In Court / See The Tunnel Rochas In Building In Owerri, Does Owerri Need A Tunnel?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.