Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,464 members, 7,801,171 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:47 AM

Maps Lie A Lot: Nigeria Is Almost 3 Times The Size Of Germany - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Maps Lie A Lot: Nigeria Is Almost 3 Times The Size Of Germany (3829 Views)

Buhari Receives Gauck, President Of Germany At The State House (photos) / Tinubu Came To See Me 3 Times B4 I Approved Oando Conocophilips Deal - Diezani / Buhari And Fashola Strolling On The Streets Of Germany (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maps Lie A Lot: Nigeria Is Almost 3 Times The Size Of Germany by Nobody: 8:56pm On Mar 08, 2012
germany: 357,022 sq km

nigeria: 923,768 sq km shocked

now see the map
undecided

Re: Maps Lie A Lot: Nigeria Is Almost 3 Times The Size Of Germany by Nobody: 8:59pm On Mar 08, 2012
looking at the maps it appears as if both countries have the same land mass but one is almost three times bigger
Re: Maps Lie A Lot: Nigeria Is Almost 3 Times The Size Of Germany by Nobody: 9:01pm On Mar 08, 2012
at least four countries can be carved out of nigeria and they would still be bigger than some western european countries.
we must not trust these maps!
Re: Maps Lie A Lot: Nigeria Is Almost 3 Times The Size Of Germany by faithin9ja: 9:19pm On Mar 08, 2012
How shallow are you? Maps are not drawn to scale, use a real scale maps to compare sizes of territories, not pictorial representations.
Re: Maps Lie A Lot: Nigeria Is Almost 3 Times The Size Of Germany by Nobody: 9:42pm On Mar 08, 2012
faithin9ja:

How shallow are you? Maps are not drawn to scale, use a real scale maps to compare sizes of territories, not pictorial representations.

i say this because i've seen here where people are looking at the map of nigeria and saying that igboland is quite small. the maps are mere representations. no need for insults, we both agree.
igboland is definitely bigger than a lot of western european countries. that's all i really want to say.
Re: Maps Lie A Lot: Nigeria Is Almost 3 Times The Size Of Germany by faithin9ja: 9:48pm On Mar 08, 2012
Please don't look at the map, use an encyclopaedia or google to get the actual areas (as your earlier post) not pictures for your arguments
Re: Maps Lie A Lot: Nigeria Is Almost 3 Times The Size Of Germany by ektbear: 9:50pm On Mar 08, 2012
Useless land mass.

"3 times the size", double the population, a tiny fraction of the economic productivity.

Nothing really worth bragging about. . . .
Re: Maps Lie A Lot: Nigeria Is Almost 3 Times The Size Of Germany by tarano: 9:55pm On Mar 08, 2012
It is a known fact that Western Cartographers have always tried to minimize the size of africa, check all maps before the 80s, it the same America is made to look very huge,
Re: Maps Lie A Lot: Nigeria Is Almost 3 Times The Size Of Germany by Nobody: 9:55pm On Mar 08, 2012
ekt_bear:

Useless land mass.

"3 times the size", double the population, a tiny fraction of the economic productivity.

quite agree
Re: Maps Lie A Lot: Nigeria Is Almost 3 Times The Size Of Germany by Yeske2(m): 12:31pm On Mar 09, 2012
ekt_bear:

Useless land mass.

True talk
Re: Maps Lie A Lot: Nigeria Is Almost 3 Times The Size Of Germany by achi4u(m): 12:48pm On Mar 09, 2012
really nigeria land mass is bigger than Germany,but they almost conquered the whole of europ(WWII)
Re: Maps Lie A Lot: Nigeria Is Almost 3 Times The Size Of Germany by Demdem(m): 1:05pm On Mar 09, 2012
re@lchange:

i say this because i've seen here where people are looking at the map of nigeria and saying that igboland is quite small. the maps are mere representations. no need for insults, we both agree.
igboland is definitely bigger than a lot of western european countries. that's all i really want to say.

with respect to other zones in the country, igboland is one of the smallest. That doesnt in anyway take anything away from the igbo people.
Re: Maps Lie A Lot: Nigeria Is Almost 3 Times The Size Of Germany by Beaf: 1:28pm On Mar 09, 2012
faithin9ja:

I must be one of the shallow dunces that exasperate you too; but I have a few questions:

[list]
[li]The topic is about maps lying. No?[/li]
[li]Where can I find corroboration of your claim that maps are not drawn to scale?[/li]
[li]I have never come across a "real scale map", could you suggest where one can read about the term?[/li]
[/list]

Thank you.

One last thing; please read about 'cartographic propaganda' here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartographic_propaganda (or you can just google the term to see what pops up).
Re: Maps Lie A Lot: Nigeria Is Almost 3 Times The Size Of Germany by TonySpike: 3:59pm On Mar 09, 2012
Let us call Musiwa, the map expert to tell us more, grin
Re: Maps Lie A Lot: Nigeria Is Almost 3 Times The Size Of Germany by EzeUche(m): 4:12pm On Mar 09, 2012
Igboland is 16,000 square miles if we go by rough estimates.

It is most likely more, by a few thousand, but that is if you include the Igbo subgroups.

61 countries in the world are below 16,000 square miles. That includes The Netherlands which is a very advanced nation.

I'll take a tiny nation that is progression over a large behemoth like Nigeria that is not.
Re: Maps Lie A Lot: Nigeria Is Almost 3 Times The Size Of Germany by Nobody: 8:44pm On Mar 09, 2012
Beaf:

I must be one of the shallow dunces that exasperate you too; but I have a few questions:

[list]
[li]The topic is about maps lying. No?[/li]
[li]Where can I find corroboration of your claim that maps are not drawn to scale?[/li]
[li]I have never come across a "real scale map", could you suggest where one can read about the term?[/li]
[/list]

Thank you.

One last thing; please read about 'cartographic propaganda' here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartographic_propaganda (or you can just google the term to see what pops up).

hmm, so maps are instruments of propaganda which means lies. thanks!

(1) (Reply)

Watch Buhari"s Strange Body Movement As He Sits Down At A Rally / Where Lagos State Government House Is Located (pics, Video) / People Dig Fake Graves, Erect Stalls, Pipe Water After FG Mark Road For Construc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.